PDA

View Full Version : Pickles - A poll of epic proportion!

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 05:52 PM
I CAN NOT tolerate Bread & Butter pickles. Dill is the master race of all the pickled vegetables. The only real issue is what brand offers the best?

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 06:19 PM
Dill All the way . Not even Sweet relish, Dill relish .

the Best Pickle is
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRADYSjMz33yIqRJZH09Hylnz6E04y-ZU3n5KSK3tgNXckOYRqbvA

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 06:29 PM
Dill All the way . Not even Sweet relish, Dill relish .

Yep!

Vlassic seems to be the gold standard for dill pickles. However, my 70 year old mother made some that were the best I've ever had. I have no idea how/what she did, but they were super crispy and very dill-y.

Now I want one! Damn.

Curly Bill
9/23/2013, 08:31 PM
Yup, my folks canned pickles that beat store bought hands down.

salth2o
9/23/2013, 08:47 PM
My wife is of German and Czech descent, so we hold pickles to a higher standard. Her grandmother had the recipe of all pickle recipes.
Dill all the way though.

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 09:44 PM
My wife is of German and Czech descent, so we hold pickles to a higher standard. Her grandmother had the recipe of all pickle recipes.
Dill all the way though.

I aint gonna can any so Its Vlasic all the way.

KantoSooner
9/24/2013, 08:46 AM
While I am inclined to like all pickled things, there are a few iron clad rules: all must to be savory. Dill pickles are good, salt pickled thingies from central Europe or Asia are also good or better. (and, yes, Kimchi is definitely included. A plate of kimchi and an icy cold beer adds exponentially to a ball game.)

Sweet pickles are the church lady showing up to a skinny dip; total buzz kill. Sweet pickles are the work of Satan. They are like putting powdered sugar on a rib eye.

Jacie
9/24/2013, 09:07 AM
There was no choice for the hard-to-find Sour variety. Whole Sours are my pickle of choice.

badger
9/24/2013, 09:11 AM
Bread and butter aren't sour enough for me. I could be a Boise State dude drinking pickle juice on a sideline bleacher and be happy, as disgusting as that may sound to some of you. DILL PICKLES FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

FirstandGoal
9/24/2013, 12:33 PM
Sweet pickles and sweet relish are nasty indeed.

Dill pickles are my fave, but nothing and I mean nothing beats pickled okra.

KantoSooner
9/24/2013, 01:34 PM
pickled jalapeno's are in the mix, too.

As are olives, which also fall under the heading of 'pickled stuff'.

colleyvillesooner
9/24/2013, 02:17 PM
Kimchi is nasty, nasty stuff.

rock on sooner
9/24/2013, 03:03 PM
I grow my own cukes, jalapenos, banana peppers, Anaheim chile
peppers and pickle them all. Cold pack dills and use hot brines on
all the others. Have a refrigerator devoted to pickled things and beer.
Definitely prefer dill.....

KantoSooner
9/24/2013, 03:32 PM

The more it gets that fermentation driven 'carbonation' effect, the better! A bite of kimchi on a lettuce leaf with a bite of Korean barbecue washed down with a pull of icy cold Kirin is about as close to heaven as a man can get.

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 03:52 PM
There was no choice for the hard-to-find Sour variety. Whole Sours are my pickle of choice.

Stop the presses!!!

Tell me more of this sour delight! I just assumed the standard dill pickle was considered sour. However, you seem to imply that the sour variety is a pickle in it's own class. I must know more.

colleyvillesooner
9/24/2013, 04:53 PM

The more it gets that fermentation driven 'carbonation' effect, the better! A bite of kimchi on a lettuce leaf with a bite of Korean barbecue washed down with a pull of icy cold Kirin is about as close to heaven as a man can get.

I agree with everything but the Kimchi part of that scenario. :)

Jacie
9/25/2013, 07:22 AM
Stop the presses!!!

Tell me more of this sour delight! I just assumed the standard dill pickle was considered sour. However, you seem to imply that the sour variety is a pickle in it's own class. I must know more.

They used to be on the shelves but are now scarce and I can't find em at all up here. The jar says, Sour Pickles. There is also a half sour variety. A dill tastes sweet in comparison.

http://www.mtolivepickles.com/products/product-styles/sour

http://www.bestmaidproducts.com/products/detail.php?category=Pickles&name=Sour&size=16 OZ&Item_No=40102

http://filspolishdeli.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29

KantoSooner
9/25/2013, 09:58 AM

leaves more for me!

C&CDean
9/26/2013, 08:07 AM

You obviously have never tried good kimchi.

Geez, what a bunch of pickle snobs/geeks. Me? I'll eat them ALL. Doesn't really matter - although a sweet pickle on a burger or something ain't right. Sweet relish? Hells yes on a hot dog or sausage. Dill relish? Hells yes on the same.

Momma pickles okra, jalapenos, relish (carrots/onions/peppers), and makes the best sliced pickles (I think they're like bread and butter) you ever ate.

kbsooner21
10/7/2013, 04:27 PM
Dill is the only way to go. These sour pickles have me intrigued.

proud gonzo
10/8/2013, 08:52 AM
I do not like cucumbers. I do not like pickled things. blerrrgh. guh

olevetonahill
10/8/2013, 09:23 AM
I do not like cucumbers. I do not like pickled things. blerrrgh. guh

Ya like Me and Im Pickled most of the time :friendly_wink: