PDA

View Full Version : The lack of network programs nominated for awards

achiro
9/23/2013, 02:03 PM
I don't watch award shows at all but I saw a list this morning and it is pretty wild how few network shows are represented. Why in the world do they keep putting out such crap with the resources they have when they have to see the popularity of the AMC shows as an example?

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 03:17 PM
I don't watch award shows at all but I saw a list this morning and it is pretty wild how few network shows are represented. Why in the world do they keep putting out such crap with the resources they have when they have to see the popularity of the AMC shows as an example?

I've wondered that too.

Anymore, networks seem to only be able to put out 30 minute sitcoms, reality TV or the occasional game show (which, I suppose, is a form of reality TV).

I think the days of really good, 1 hour dramas, on network TV, is a thing of the past. I wonder if it has something to do with restrictions put in place by the network censors (in an effort to keep advertisers happy)? The cable outlets (AMC, A&E, etc.) don't seem to worry with that nearly as much.

Shows like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead push what they show right to the edge. I'm sure it turns off some advertisers, but numbers don't lie, and if it brings eyes to the network, advertisers will eventually buy in.

Scott D
9/23/2013, 03:25 PM
There are some decent network programs that aren't sitcoms or relegated to 30 minutes. Truthfully the when a something is on is more important than the what often enough. Plus, with syndication windows seemingly becoming shorter along with dvr's, there isn't as much motivation to try and "religously" catch shows when they are on the air.

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 03:28 PM
There are some decent network programs that aren't sitcoms or relegated to 30 minutes. Truthfully the when a something is on is more important than the what often enough. Plus, with syndication windows seemingly becoming shorter along with dvr's, there isn't as much motivation to try and "religously" catch shows when they are on the air.

Very true.

I can't think of a show I watch on network TV with any regularity. I used to watch The Office, but once Steve Carell left, I became disinterested.

You also bring up a great point about DVRs. Other than live sporting events, I never feel motivated to be in front of the TV at any given time.

Scott D
9/23/2013, 03:32 PM
I watch Criminal Minds, and my wife watches NCIS. This past weekend on A&E in the morning, they had episodes of Criminal Minds that were from this past season that I had missed. So we're talking literally months now for the syndication process. In it's first season I thought Elementary was somewhat interesting and worthy of watching, I didn't feel the same for Person of Interest although my wife likes it. NBC and Fox have been struggling with programming choices for demographics above 25 it seems. NBC relies too much on spinning their SNL cast members into new comedies that may or may not stick around.

The one that could potentially become the big player in television style programs is Netflix.

KantoSooner
9/23/2013, 03:38 PM
I could be wrong, but my impression was that network teevee was not making much money (for corporations, I'd still be happy with one day of their profits direct depositied to my bank account, but that's true of many enterprises). They don't have the resources of the cable and independent producers who can use a movie model and then push it out through a variety of delivery mechanisms.

badger
9/23/2013, 03:49 PM
When you look at where the ratings are (http://www.tvguide.com/news/most-watched-tv-shows-top-25-2012-2013-1066503.aspx), that's where network is pouring money these days.

A lot of the top shows on TV are live sports and reality shows. You don't win too many awards for ratings, but then again, Oscar movies weren't usually the most profitable at the box office, either.

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 05:50 PM
Wow, of the top 10 shows, I watch 2: Football and The Walking Dead. I'm not even sure what some of those are! The Voice?!

yermom
9/23/2013, 06:59 PM
When you look at where the ratings are (http://www.tvguide.com/news/most-watched-tv-shows-top-25-2012-2013-1066503.aspx), that's where network is pouring money these days.

A lot of the top shows on TV are live sports and reality shows. You don't win too many awards for ratings, but then again, Oscar movies weren't usually the most profitable at the box office, either.

was about to post this, with no link though

shows like Arrested Development win Emmys, get cancelled. more room for American Idol and other BS

if it wasn't for football/sportscenter i wouldn't miss cable at all.

GDC
9/23/2013, 08:14 PM
Community is a good show on NBC.

Jacie
9/24/2013, 09:11 AM
Big Bang Theory and Parks & Recreation are pretty good network shows.

I haven't seen most of the other stuff there, even the award nominees.

I will give The Black List a try because I have always enjoyed watching James Spader.