PDA

View Full Version : For shame poll: Who brings the most shame to college football via scheduling?

badger
9/23/2013, 10:36 AM
Nominees for most shameful scheduling last weekend are:

Ohio State vs Florida A&M (76-0 final)
FSU vs Bethune Cookman (54-6 final)
Miami vs Savannah State (77-7 final)

Yes, there was other shame this weekend, but these seem to be the three most egregious offenders.

3 days of anonymous voting.

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 11:00 AM
Wheres baylor?

badger
9/23/2013, 11:14 AM
Wheres baylor?

In the Big 12? In Waco? Drowning in Dr. Pepper?

Boomer.....
9/23/2013, 11:17 AM
Wheres baylor?

They played the same team we did in week 1.

sooner46
9/23/2013, 11:18 AM
Where is the option "All of the above?"

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 11:25 AM
They played the same team we did in week 1.

But in the Thread Title It say LAST weekend , Only in her post and I dont always read evrything in a post

badger
9/23/2013, 11:30 AM
But in the Thread Title It say LAST weekend , Only in her post and I dont always read evrything in a post

Now you're just making **** up :P

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 11:55 AM
Did you say sompun? I dint read it all.

Soonerjeepman
9/23/2013, 12:11 PM
at least BC was 3-0 I think...lol
not sure about the others...

sooneron
9/23/2013, 12:31 PM
Didn't we play Fla A&M last year?

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2013, 12:33 PM
KSU for scheduling North Dakota State

sooner46
9/23/2013, 01:14 PM
If you are going to take that approach you may have to add us on the scheduling part since two of the three teams we have played got wiped off the face of the earth this last weekend. When we beat ND all will be well.

CowboyMRW
9/23/2013, 02:30 PM
At least those 3 teams have played someone with a pulse this year.

Wofford?
Mary J. Hardin School for the Blind?
Whoever the ell else Baylor has played.

Piware
9/23/2013, 02:40 PM
At least those 3 teams have played someone with a pulse this year.

Wofford?
Mary J. Hardin School for the Blind?
Whoever the ell else Baylor has played.

Not last weekend but I have never heard of OSU's last opponent, the State of Lamar. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 02:52 PM
Yeah, the OOC scheduling this year has been a big joke for a lot of schools. I know in some cases, teams had to find replacement games at the last minute, but that only makes up a small portion of the big picture.

I know OU had to schedule FAMU last year because of the conference realignment (and TCU moving to a conference game), and I think Baylor scheduled Wofford because SMU backed out of a scheduled meeting. I know that stuff happens.

I really, REALLY hope that the new playoff puts more pressure on teams to schedule better OOC opponents.

And to be fair to OU, prior to the season starting, a lot of "experts" had OU's OOC schedule ranked #1 or #2 toughest.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2013, 03:06 PM
I don't see these paycheck games going away. Some small schools *really* need the money in order to field a team.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2013, 03:22 PM
Wofford was scheduled at the very last minute because SMU backed out. SMU itself isn't exactly a power house, but it's an in-state and former SWC rival that former SWC schools in Texas often schedule. It's roughly equivalent to Tulsa as far as that goes.

Buffalo is a MAC school and of the same caliber that is common for BCS schools to schedule. Nothing particularily horrible about it.

ULM has had success against BCS schools and, of course, also scheduled by OU.

Wofford is the only real cringe-worthy part of that schedule and the circumstances and reasons as to why we scheduled Wofford should be understandable.

badger
9/23/2013, 03:22 PM
I know that this poll is usually dedicated to the shame of losing, but Saturday football was such a non-event that I felt like dedicating this weekly vote-fest to the fact that you could be in bed early and not worry about missing anything memorable.

I can just imagine helmet stickers that night:

Dr Lou: This one is the FCS for scheduling tough opponents this week!
Mary May: This one is Kansas for beating an FBS opponent for the first time in two years!
Third guy: And THIS one is for Texas for beating Kansas State for the first time in a decade!

*Gag*

Soonerwake
9/23/2013, 04:11 PM
Buffalo has exactly 1 winning season since becoming FBS, and that was 8-6 in 2008. ULM is the only school that Baylor scheduled that I would agree is "the same caliber that is common for BCS schools to schedule". I understand the Wofford thing, but I think the point is that even if it had been SMU, Baylor's schedule is still a joke. Baylor doesn't have to schedule Alabama every year, but even a team like Arizona State, Washington, or North Carolina would have made it respectable.

I think the one "big boy" team (Alabama, USC, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, etc.), one middle of the road (Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Miss State, etc.), and one "let the back-ups play" game (Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, etc.) is the way to go. Sure, I would love to see OU play all of the other tradition-rich programs, but I'm also reasonable knowing that many times money and pride get in the way.

Oh, and to answer the question, after 2 years of seeing what Savannah State has to offer, I think anyone scheduling them should be penalized. They are atrocious, but scheduling a team who has lost like they have is even worse.

agoo758
9/23/2013, 04:20 PM
This is what happened when ESPN pushes to get SOS removed from the BCS equation so that their precious USC/SEC team gets in the NC after beating Furman 13 times. Then ESPN blames weak OOC sceduling on the BCS.

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 05:45 PM
Wofford was scheduled at the very last minute because SMU backed out. SMU itself isn't exactly a power house, but it's an in-state and former SWC rival that former SWC schools in Texas often schedule. It's roughly equivalent to Tulsa as far as that goes.

Buffalo is a MAC school and of the same caliber that is common for BCS schools to schedule. Nothing particularily horrible about it.

ULM has had success against BCS schools and, of course, also scheduled by OU.

Wofford is the only real cringe-worthy part of that schedule and the circumstances and reasons as to why we scheduled Wofford should be understandable.

Baylor's scheduling isn't the embarrassment of the conference. BU has typically scheduled a decent OOC slate (including TCU prior to their joining the conference). The embarrassment of the conference? That award goes to Texas Tech. Their OOC scheduling is beyond a joke, it's literally embarrassing to the other conference members.

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 05:49 PM
Baylor's scheduling isn't the embarrassment of the conference. BU has typically scheduled a decent OOC slate (including TCU prior to their joining the conference). The embarrassment of the conference? That award goes to Texas Tech. Their OOC scheduling is beyond a joke, it's literally embarrassing to the other conference members.

Come on Bro, Let me have pickin on Sicem and baylor. :friendly_wink:

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 05:56 PM
Come on Bro, Let me have pickin on Sicem and baylor. :friendly_wink:

Good point vet.

BAYLOR SUCKS *** !!1!1/!one

Scott D
9/23/2013, 05:57 PM
Everyone in the SEC that schedules The Citadel at least once a decade.

olevetonahill
9/23/2013, 05:58 PM
Good point vet.

Whats gonna be funny is the only other games saxet is gonna win is baylor an OsU :wink:

fadada1
9/23/2013, 09:30 PM
we should contact the NCAA to implement a self-imposed penalty for having to play texas. we should be embarrassed for putting them on our schedule. any team that can't keep it within 40 points while playing another 1A team should drop back to 1AA permanently.

Salt City Sooner
9/23/2013, 11:49 PM

A BIG x 2 on this. According to the link, they're scheduled to play the 'hogs next year. If it comes to pass, it will be the first team they've played from a BCS conference in their OOC schedule since playing Ole Miss in the 2003 season.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/texas-tech-red-raiders.php

Jason White's Third Knee
9/24/2013, 06:34 AM
I just want to know what Mike Lupica's stance is on all of this.

Dick.

badger
9/24/2013, 08:10 AM

Remember when you could say that during football season and mean it? And to say it out loud would be to state the obvious, so there really was no point?

But yes, Baylor does suck. If they beat us this year I say we implode the conference just to make em squirm

Soonerwake
9/24/2013, 08:32 AM
Speaking of Tech, there is a very good chance that they are 7-0 when they show up in Norman in October.

And, I'll take both Tech and Baylor's OOC schedules as embarassing this year. Last year was last year and next year we will discuss again.

Tear Down This Wall
9/27/2013, 09:42 AM
Has Baylor been added to the poll yet for their opening trio of Wofford, Buffalo, and Louisiana at Monroe?