PDA

View Full Version : Big XII in statistics: Week 4

8timechamps
9/22/2013, 08:38 PM
Week 4 statistics

Rankings are out of 123 FBS teams (national ranking in parenthesis).

New this week: A ▼▲ next to team indicates if team moved up/down (within the conference) from previous week.

Offense

Total Offense
1. Baylor (1) 751.3 ypg
2. Texas Tech (18) 520.0 ypg
3. Oklahoma (24) 490.3 ypg ▲1
4. Oklahoma State (27) 487.7 ypg ▲1
5. Texas (32) 483.0 ypg ▼2
6. Kansas State (64) 405.3 ypg
7. West Virginia (72) 393.6 ypg
8. Iowa State (88) 364.5 ypg
9. TCU (93) 354.0 ypg
10. Kansas (95) 352.0 ypg

Passing offense
1. Baylor (1) 444.3 ypg
2. Texas Tech (4) 408.5 ypg
3. Oklahoma State (19) 311.7 ypg
4. Texas (38) 272.5 ypg
5. Iowa State (50) 251.0 ypg ▲1
6. Kansas State (51) 246.8 ypg ▲1
7. West Virginia (74) 219.0 ypg ▼2
8. Oklahoma (75) 218.7 ypg
9. TCU (94) 190.7 ypg
10. Kansas (98) 186.3

Rushing Offense
1. Baylor (7) 307.0 ypg
2. Oklahoma (16) 271.7 ypg
3. Texas (43) 210.5 ypg
4. Oklahoma State (67) 176.0 ypg ▲2
5. West Virginia (69) 174.8 ypg ▼1
6. Kansas (73) 165.7 ypg ▼1
7. TCU (74) 163.3 ypg ▲1
8. Kansas State (78) 158.5 ypg ▲1
9. Iowa State (100) 113.5 ypg
10. Texas Tech (103) 111.5 ypg

Scoring Offense
1. Baylor (1) 69.7 ppg
2. Oklahoma State (t10) 45.3 ppg
3. Texas Tech (33) 38.8 ppg
4. Oklahoma (t53) 33.7 ppg ▲1
5. Texas (58) 32.6 ppg ▲1
6. Kansas State (60) 31.8 ppg ▼2
7. TCU (t83) 25.0 ppg
8. Iowa State (95) 20.5 ppg ▲2
9. Kansas (101) 19.3 ppg
10. West Virginia (108) 18.0 ppg ▼2

Defense

Total Defense
1. Oklahoma (20) 291.3 ypg
2. Baylor (22) 297.0 ypg
3. West Virginia (31) 323.5 ypg
4. Oklahoma State (45) 360.7 ypg ▲2
5. Kansas (48) 366.3 ypg ▼1
6. Texas Tech (51) 371.8 ypg ▲2
7. TCU (57) 374.3 ypg
8. Kansas State (59) 377.8 ypg ▼3
9. Iowa State (81) 417.5 ypg
10. Texas (108) 466.0 ypg

Passing Efficiency Defense*
1. Oklahoma (9) ▲1
2. Kansas (16) ▼1
3. Baylor (17) ▲7
4. Oklahoma State (27) ▼1
5. Texas Tech (28) ▲2
6. TCU (33)
7. Texas (43) ▼2
8. Kansas State (46)
9. West Virginia (50) ▼5
10. Iowa State (113)

*Rankings factor in opponent completion percentage, total yards and passing TDs.

Rushing Defense
1. Oklahoma (18) 100.7 ypg
2. Baylor (27) 110.3 ypg ▲2
3. Texas Tech (36) 121.3 ypg
4. Oklahoma State (37) 122.3 ypg ▼2
5. TCU (57) 149.0 ypg
6. West Virginia (71) 166.8 ypg ▲1
7. Kansas State (87) 185.5 ypg ▼ 1
8. Kansas (90) 188.3 ypg
9. Iowa State (108) 223.0 ypg
10. Texas (120) 260.3 ypg

Scoring Defense
1. Baylor (2) 7.7 ppg
2. Oklahoma (5) 9.0 ppg
3. Texas Tech (t15) 13.3 ppg ▲2
4. Oklahoma State (17) 13.7 ppg
5. Kansas (23) 15.7 ppg ▲1
6. West Virginia (33) 19.3 ppg ▼3
7. Kansas State (54) 22.3 ppg
8. TCU (62) 24.7 ppg
9. Iowa State (t73) 27.5 ppg
10. Texas (77) 28.0 ppg

thecrimsoncrusader
9/22/2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for doing this, 8time. Besides the wins, the numbers I hope to see hold up all season if OU averaging over 200 rushing yards per game and OU only giving up about 100 rushing yards per game (or less). If those two things happen, it's going to be a very good season. The ND game will tell a lot. If OU can run on those guys even though they are not as good as last season, they will run on anyone in the Big 12 with ease.

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for doing this, 8time. Besides the wins, the numbers I hope to see hold up all season if OU averaging over 200 rushing yards per game and OU only giving up about 100 rushing yards per game (or less). If those two things happen, it's going to be a very good season. The ND game will tell a lot. If OU can run on those guys even though they are not as good as last season, they will run on anyone in the Big 12 with ease.

Agreed. Even though we have 3 weeks of data, the statistics don't really tell much (except in a few cases, like Texas' defense and Tech's passing offense).

There is one trend that I find particularly interesting, and it's going to be interesting to see how it holds up, and that's the Big XII defensive statistics. For all intents and purposes, the conference has 6 of the 10 members in the top 50 in total defense. And other than Texas & Iowa State, they're all in the top 60.

I know a lot of that has to do with early season scheduling, but it will be interesting to follow.

8timechamps
9/23/2013, 02:48 PM
Just for the hell of it, here's where Notre Dame ranks in the various categories:

Notre Dame

Offense
Total Offense: 71st - 394.3 ypg
Passing Offense: 32nd - 280.0 ypg
Rushing Offense: 99th - 114.3 ypg
Scoring Offense: 77th - 26.5 ypg

Defense
Total Defense: 41st - 342.5 ypg
Passing Efficiency Defense: 40th
Rushing Defense: 28th - 114.3 ypg
Scoring Defense: t45th - 21.0 ppg

Bourbon St Sooner
9/24/2013, 09:12 AM
Notre Dame's played a real schedule unlike so many teams out there.

Widescreen
9/24/2013, 12:54 PM
Total Offense
1. Baylor (1) 751.3 ypg

Passing offense
1. Baylor (1) 444.3 ypg

Rushing Offense
1. Baylor (7) 307.0 ypg

Scoring Offense
1. Baylor (1) 69.7 ppg

Scoring Defense
1. Baylor (2) 7.7 ppg
I don't care who you're playing. That's a very impressive set of stats. Obviously it's going to come down dramatically when they start playing real competition. But if you score that many points and are holding your opponents to 7 pts/game, that's pretty remarkable. More scoring (probably quick scoring) means more opportunities for the opponent to score. I'll be curious to see them play someone legitimate.

Scott D
9/24/2013, 01:08 PM
I don't care who you're playing. That's a very impressive set of stats. Obviously it's going to come down dramatically when they start playing real competition. But if you score that many points and are holding your opponents to 7 pts/game, that's pretty remarkable. More scoring (probably quick scoring) means more opportunities for the opponent to score. I'll be curious to see them play someone legitimate.

as of right now, it would amuse me to see them against Phil Knight University on a neutral field.

CincySooner
9/24/2013, 01:14 PM
Whoa, ND's rushing offense and defense averages are the same down to the decimal point...

That's a weird stat.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/24/2013, 01:38 PM

It will be interesting to see how well Bryce Petty performs when his receivers aren't always wide open and when he's under pressure and when Seastrunk can't run with ease. That's a huge unknown at this point and Baylor has a about 4 games before that will even come remotely close to being tested. Petty is great on the deep ball, but he's a significant drop in terms of running ability when compared to RG3 and Florence. Time will tell whether that is relevant or not.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/24/2013, 01:41 PM

LA-Monroe had more yards in the 1st half against Baylor than they did against Oklahoma for the entire game by a factor of two. And LA-Monroe blew it several times in scoring position and that was more execution failures on LA-Monroe's part than great defense on Baylor's part.

Baylor's defense is improved, but it's still not a "good" defense and that will come to light against the better offenses in the Big 12. And they're not likely to benefit from 2 pick sixes against as they were in the LA-Monroe game.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2013, 02:02 PM

I agree. Most teams cannot execute offense that efficiently against any competition. As far as extrapolating to better opponents, it says more when a team struggles against cream puffs than it does to blow them out. OU's first 2 games being good examples - there were real problems on offense exposed there. We'll have a pretty good idea about BU by the time we face them.

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2013, 03:06 PM
Notre Dame's played a real schedule unlike so many teams out there.

I wouldn't claim beating or losing to some big 10 teams as a real schedule...lol

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2013, 03:09 PM

I agree. Most teams cannot execute offense that efficiently against any competition. As far as extrapolating to better opponents, it says more when a team struggles against cream puffs than it does to blow them out. OU's first 2 games being good examples - there were real problems on offense exposed there. We'll have a pretty good idea about BU by the time we face them.

I don't agree. They have played two junior high squads and a FBS middle of the pack team.

Yes, they look impressive, but honestly how good are they really?

We will definitely find out the next 9 games.

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2013, 03:12 PM
I kind of remember a Seneca Wallace led ISU team looking really good about 10 years ago. They even had a better SOS heading into conference play.

Once they got into conference play, the wheels fell off.

I'm not saying that is what will happen with Baylor, but they haven't really played anyone worth a ****.

And yes sicem, I know I know. You're tired of the BS. But truth hurts sometimes!

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 03:14 PM
Whoa, ND's rushing offense and defense averages are the same down to the decimal point...

That's a weird stat.

It is. I had to re-check it to make sure I wasn't recording the same stat.

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 03:16 PM
I kind of remember a Seneca Wallace led ISU team looking really good about 10 years ago. They even had a better SOS heading into conference play.

Once they got into conference play, the wheels fell off.

I'm not saying that is what will happen with Baylor, but they haven't really played anyone worth a ****.

And yes sicem, I know I know. You're tired of the BS. But truth hurts sometimes!

I was just thinking about West Virginia last year. After the first 5 weeks, everyone was ready to give Geno Smith the Heisman, and pit WVU against Alabama for the national title. Things tend to change when conference play starts.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2013, 03:41 PM
I don't agree. They have played two junior high squads and a FBS middle of the pack team.

I think we're saying the same thing (or maybe not). I'm just saying if they have a great offense, they are holding serve so far. But the reverse statement is not true - the fact they haven't faced tough competition in no way proves they *don't* have a great offense.

Widescreen
9/24/2013, 05:49 PM

My viewpoint is that it's very difficult to hold opponents to 7.7 points/game even against weak competition. Mainly because early in the season it's easy to have a few defensive or special teams busts. Plus when you get way ahead, the defense tends to lose focus and start giving up some plays. I'm not arguing that Baylor is some world beater. But to me it's clear that they are improved - probably better than they've even been in the last couple of years.

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 05:56 PM
My viewpoint is that it's very difficult to hold opponents to 7.7 points/game even against weak competition. Mainly because early in the season it's easy to have a few defensive or special teams busts. Plus when you get way ahead, the defense tends to lose focus and start giving up some plays. I'm not arguing that Baylor is some world beater. But to me it's clear that they are improved - probably better than they've even been in the last couple of years.

I agree.

Offensively, they have looked extremely good. And, I don't think Petty is as good as either RG III or Florence (at least not at this point in his career). However, the Baylor offense, as a whole, is better than maybe it's ever been.

I still have no idea what they are all about on defense. We probably won't know that for a while.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2013, 06:17 PM
I agree.

Offensively, they have looked extremely good. And, I don't think Petty is as good as either RG III or Florence (at least not at this point in his career). However, the Baylor offense, as a whole, is better than maybe it's ever been.

I still have no idea what they are all about on defense. We probably won't know that for a while.

We could have the best defense that they face this year - depends on what TCU really has on D. We almost certainly will be the best they have faced when we play since they play TCU later. I think that is to our advantage as they will have to learn to deal with adversity on the fly. An ideal situation for them would be to play a couple of teams with a tough defense, but too little offense to win. I don't see that happening in the big12. Hopefully, we present that tough D and an offense good enough to beat them.

Scott D
9/24/2013, 06:21 PM
Sold Recruit Seastrunk can't keep up a 11ypc average imo.

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 06:59 PM
Sold Recruit Seastrunk can't keep up a 11ypc average imo.

I don't think a running back has ever averaged over 8 ypc at the college level. That number will definitely shrink.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2013, 07:15 PM
I don't think a running back has ever averaged over 8 ypc at the college level. That number will definitely shrink.

Greg Pruitt '71 maybe?

EDIT: don't know if this is up to date, but this quote regarding Priutt is on soonersports.com

His 9.41 yards per rushing attempt in 1971 is an NCAA record.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2013, 07:30 PM
Petty is better than Florence. Florence had a lot more experience than Petty, but the consensus among everyone from fans to the coaches is that Petty is the better QB. However, in raw talent, Seth Russell is actually the best we have on campus right now, but he needs more seasoning.

Salt City Sooner
9/24/2013, 08:01 PM
Greg Pruitt '71 maybe?

EDIT: don't know if this is up to date, but this quote regarding Priutt is on soonersports.com

His 9.41 yards per rushing attempt in 1971 is an NCAA record.
Sounds like SoonerSports is wayyyyy behind then, because Pruitt lost that record a good 6-8 years ago when the NCAA decided to re-classify that category according to number of carries. Chuck Weatherspoon of the old Houston Run & Shoot fame back in the late 80's/early 90's has the record where Pruitt (196 carries in '71) would qualify:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2013/FBS.pdf

Widescreen
9/24/2013, 08:18 PM
I think it sucks that we're even having to talk about Baylor as being a challenge.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2013, 09:03 PM
Sounds like SoonerSports is wayyyyy behind then, because Pruitt lost that record a good 6-8 years ago when the NCAA decided to re-classify that category according to number of carries. Chuck Weatherspoon of the old Houston Run & Shoot fame back in the late 80's/early 90's has the record where Pruitt (196 carries in '71) would qualify:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2013/FBS.pdf

I thought as much. 9.41 still doesn't suc and no, I don't think Seastrunk will hit a number like that.

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 09:13 PM
I stand corrected (not the first time). I didn't realize that any back had averaged over 8 ypc for a season. That's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

8timechamps
9/24/2013, 09:14 PM
Petty is better than Florence. Florence had a lot more experience than Petty, but the consensus among everyone from fans to the coaches is that Petty is the better QB. However, in raw talent, Seth Russell is actually the best we have on campus right now, but he needs more seasoning.

He may very well end up being better than Florence, but I don't think anyone can accurately make that claim through 3 games.

Salt City Sooner
9/25/2013, 12:45 AM
I thought as much. 9.41 still doesn't suc and no, I don't think Seastrunk will hit a number like that.
Pruitt's avg. was just a shade under 9 in '71:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208798417

Personally, I guess I can get on board w/ the NCAA's intentions in separating by carries, but I think they were a bit too broad in doing it. Pruitt had almost 80 more rushes than CW, which is a bit too much to be classified in the same category, IMO. I'd like to see them go every 50 or so (max) myself. It wouldn't do anything more than take up a couple more entries in the record books, & would be a more accurate sampling. JMO.

Oh, & 8 x, agreed on Petty v. Florence. Petty's looked awfully good so far & it wouldn't surprise me if he does end up as the better of the 2, but I want to see him do it over the course of a full season before I go putting him ahead of NF. He quietly (outside of Waco, that is) had one heck of a season last year.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2013, 12:58 AM
Pruitt's avg. was just a shade under 9 in '71:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208798417

Personally, I guess I can get on board w/ the NCAA's intentions in separating by carries, but I think they were a bit too broad in doing it. Pruitt had almost 80 more rushes than CW, which is a bit too much to be classified in the same category, IMO. I'd like to see them go every 50 or so (max) myself. It wouldn't do anything more than take up a couple more entries in the record books, & would be a more accurate sampling. JMO.

Oh, & 8 x, agreed on Petty v. Florence. Petty's looked awfully good so far & it wouldn't surprise me if he does end up as the better of the 2, but I want to see him do it over the course of a full season before I go putting him ahead of NF. He quietly (outside of Waco, that is) had one heck of a season last year.

Those stats must have included the Sugar Bowl for Pruitt where he was held to 95yards on 18 carries. The >9 yards/carry is the stat often quoted is his regular season average which was touted when he was a Heisman finalist (which he should have won! No bias :friendly_wink:).

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2013, 02:12 PM

It's hard to do that vs. anyone. But when you play two D-1aa teams it makes it a lot easier.

And let's just put this out there too. ULM shot themselves in the foot early on their game with Baylor. They had te ball twice inside the 10 and came away with zero. And if you watched the game, it wasn't because of Baylors defense.

Salt City Sooner
9/25/2013, 02:43 PM
Those stats must have included the Sugar Bowl for Pruitt where he was held to 95yards on 18 carries. The >9 yards/carry is the stat often quoted is his regular season average which was touted when he was a Heisman finalist (which he should have won! No bias :friendly_wink:).
I'm not going to bother to do the research on Pruitt specifically, but I do know that they started including bowl game stats a few years ago. It's what vaulted Billy over Joe as OU's career rushing leader.

BoulderSooner79
9/25/2013, 02:57 PM
I'm not going to bother to do the research on Pruitt specifically, but I do know that they started including bowl game stats a few years ago. It's what vaulted Billy over Joe as OU's career rushing leader.

I'm not disagreeing. Just saying the >9/carry stat was an important PR thing during the "Heisman period" which happens before the bowl games are played. Regardless of how the books are shuffled and records reclassified, it doesn't change what Pruitt and the OU offense accomplished that season. Greg would have broken many more records that season if he hadn't been sitting on the bench in the 2nd half of so many games. ~16 carries/game was a pretty light load for a featured back.