PDA

View Full Version : Another officiating gaff that altered the outcome

Jacie
9/20/2013, 12:16 PM
A bad call by the refs resulted in a 14-point turnaround in a 26-14 game.

N.C. State's hopes of beating a top-10 team at home for the third straight season essentially ended in one frustrating sequence.

Receiver Bryan Underwood, who stepped out along the sideline earlier in the game to cut short a long run, sprinted around the right side for what appeared to be an 83-yard touchdown to tie the game at 13 midway through the third. But officials ruled Underwood stepped on the sideline at the Clemson 47 and blew the play dead, making it an unreviewable play - TV replays appeared to show him remaining inbounds - that led to boos raining down from the Carter-Finley Stadium stands.

''It was right in front of me,'' Doeren said. ''He didn't go out of bounds. Unfortunately they blew it dead so they couldn't review it. It's an unfortunate deal. I know the guy felt bad about it. You can't do anything about it. That's just the way it is.''

Three plays later, Clemson's Vic Beasley knocked the ball loose from Pete Thomas on a sack for a fumble recovered by Spencer Shuey. Boyd and the Tigers' offense pounced on the opportunity, with Boyd hitting Bryant for the 30-yard score that made it 20-7 with 5:25 left in the quarter.

badger
9/20/2013, 12:26 PM
Watching this on a loop, it looks like he does come close, but not at the area of contact with Clemp defender, but after:
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3253293/ncstateoob_medium.gif

So, I don't think it has to be a touchdown, because it is entirely possibly he stepped out a few yards down field.

SoCalBigRed
9/20/2013, 01:03 PM
Doesn't look like he stepped out to me. Close, but no.