PDA

View Full Version : Interesting look at the train wreck over in Austin

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2013, 12:56 AM
SI has a pretty detailed article examining the decline at Texas. Some surprising stuff there - Mack admitting that he was afraid of the weather b/c Colt alone was carrying the offense, or Mack admitting how far behind Texas was in terms of coaching and personnel...imagine Texas w/ one strength and conditioning coach when the NCAA limit is set at five.

Anyway, this SI article had more of interest than that OSU debacle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130919/texas-longhorns-mack-brown-walkthrough/?sct=cf_t1t_a2

SoonerPride
9/20/2013, 04:21 AM
No ten win seasons since 2009.

That's alarming.

Stoops has not had a 10 win season only 3 times. 99, 05 and 09.

Can you imagine a multi-year stretch without at least double digit wins?

Mack is failing.

Poor Texas.

BigJerm7
9/20/2013, 09:17 AM
and they extended him to 2020 lol.

70sooner
9/20/2013, 09:34 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/3756/6ee.gif

KantoSooner
9/20/2013, 09:44 AM
It had occured to me that, had Mudchump not thrown a tantrum and left, he'd now be in line to succeed Mack and we'd be assured another decade of unadulterated fail at UT.
On the bright side, Mack has pretty thoroughly wrecked Texas and Will was thus freed up to go destroy the program at UF; so maybe the greater good was served afterall.

badger
9/20/2013, 10:00 AM
I really think it comes down to lazy recruiting, lazy coaching and lazy program management.

Texas thought they were running a turn key operation.

Miami ran itself into the ground through the same tactics... oh, let us count the ways:

Recruiting kids based on recruiting services and who other programs were recruiting. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-06-21/sports/um_1_online-recruiting-spencer-adkins-recruiting-analyst-tom)

Letting the boosters do whatever the hell they want. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6879861/larry-coker-calls-miami-hurricanes-scandal-very-hurtful)

Now, will Texas' disaster culminate in a situation like this?
FNypDGoC_8M

If so, hope it's not against us :(

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2013, 10:04 AM

Good job by LSUfreek. Pelini needs that noose in real life sometimes. LOL at Kiffen as the little girl!

Soonerjeepman
9/20/2013, 10:18 AM
I really think it comes down to lazy recruiting, lazy coaching and lazy program management.

Miami ran itself into the ground through the same tactics... oh, let us count the ways:

Recruiting kids based on recruiting services and who other programs were recruiting. (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-06-21/sports/um_1_online-recruiting-spencer-adkins-recruiting-analyst-tom)

Letting the boosters do whatever the hell they want. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6879861/larry-coker-calls-miami-hurricanes-scandal-very-hurtful)

FNypDGoC_8M

I don't care for Miami at all, but honestly, besides the bow, it looked like FIU actually started the fighting...

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2013, 10:32 AM
I don't care for Miami at all, but honestly, besides the bow, it looked like FIU actually started the fighting...

That was just 2 opposing gangs that forgot the unwritten rule of saving the gang war until after the game. What was lost in the ESPN audio was the local Miami announcer cheering the Canes on during the fight. He was an ex-Miami player (one of their super cocky receivers, I think) and he was fired for his comments.

badger
9/20/2013, 10:39 AM
not trying to derail, but you can read the Cane's comments from the game here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2628184). They're embarrassing.

As for Texas, this is likely their best chance of beating KSU in awhile. A win here and maybe the national media will jump back on the bandwagon. The national media is a lot dumber than the local ones (and they have a Longhorn Network/ESPN agenda)

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2013, 10:56 AM
I'll totally derail, but I thought this was interesting. There is an article on Bleacher Report about the uppercut punch the Clemson player threw last night at the end of the game. The comments section at the time I read it was filled with people cheering on the Clemson player saying the other guy deserved it for getting his face. Most of those comments were by people that had some kind of Miami avatar or related user name. I guess that will always be part of the 'U' image.

Temujin
9/20/2013, 02:07 PM
No program underachieves quite like Texas.

KantoSooner
9/20/2013, 02:48 PM
Hypotheticals:

How much would it raise the UT overall GPA to release their football team?

How much would it reduce crime in Miami Dade County if the UM football team was locked up? How much if the team and the stadium full of 'fans' was locked up?

badger
9/20/2013, 03:52 PM

None, because all student-athletes must be in the top 10 percent of their graduating classes to be accepted at UT*

*No, but Texas still sucks

KantoSooner
9/20/2013, 04:30 PM
Well, Badge,
I will retort with one name that will destroy your tongue in cheek argument:

Vincent 'Radio' Young

Done.

badger
9/20/2013, 04:47 PM
Well, Badge,
I will retort with one name that will destroy your tongue in cheek argument:

Vincent 'Radio' Young

Done.
The Wonderlic is a flawed test. Flawed, I tells you!

MyT Oklahoma
9/20/2013, 09:09 PM
No ten win seasons since 2009.

That's alarming.

Stoops has not had a 10 win season only 3 times. 99, 05 and 09.

Can you imagine a multi-year stretch without at least double digit wins?

Mack is failing.

Poor Texas.

Poor Texas. Poor Texas. Poor Texas.

TrophyCollector
9/20/2013, 09:59 PM
Now that I am resigned to the fact that Mack is gone, I am just really enjoying watching the whorn program burn to the ground. The is no limit to how high this fireball can go - and like a fat kid at McDonald's, "I'm f'ing lovin' it!!!".

Hopefully KSU will roll them on Saturday night and take it to a whole new level. Forget players transferring in the middle of the season - let's see some quit in the middle of a game! Not normal Texas quitting, actually taking their jersey off and heading for the parking lot. Hopefully it will be a QB and he will take the football with him.

The entire nation has seen the whorn fans bail on their team at the RRS, let's show America what a halftime empty DKR looks like!

Let's see things get so bad that every UT game turns into a brutal arse whipping. I mean like a Paul Thompson taking a knee on first & goal, 77-0 in the 3rd quarter butt whipping!

Forget booing Mack on the Jumbotron, I want to see a Sports Center top 10 with whorn fans throwing actual rotting fruit.

Any possible event that keeps good players and good coaches away from their program is okay by me.

Go Mack go - Burn those 40 acres to the ground!!!

P.S. I hate Texas!

SoonerPride
9/20/2013, 11:35 PM
Now that I am resigned to the fact that Mack is gone, I am just really enjoying watching the whorn program burn to the ground. The is no limit to how high this fireball can go - and like a fat kid at McDonald's, "I'm f'ing lovin' it!!!".

Hopefully KSU will roll them on Saturday night and take it to a whole new level. Forget players transferring in the middle of the season - let's see some quit in the middle of a game! Not normal Texas quitting, actually taking their jersey off and heading for the parking lot. Hopefully it will be a QB and he will take the football with him.

The entire nation has seen the whorn fans bail on their team at the RRS, let's show America what a halftime empty DKR looks like!

Let's see things get so bad that every UT game turns into a brutal arse whipping. I mean like a Paul Thompson taking a knee on first & goal, 77-0 in the 3rd quarter butt whipping!

Forget booing Mack on the Jumbotron, I want to see a Sports Center top 10 with whorn fans throwing actual rotting fruit.

Any possible event that keeps good players and good coaches away from their program is okay by me.

Go Mack go - Burn those 40 acres to the ground!!!

P.S. I hate Texas!

Bravo.

aurorasooner
9/21/2013, 12:46 AM
You would have thought that ESPiN would have had some of those Whorn/Kstate "classic games" on their Classic and U networks this week since they're showing the game on ABC prime-time. I guess they couldn't go back far enough to get a HiDef copy of a Whorn win since K-State has won the last 7 in a row and since the teams from the North division only played the teams in the South division 2 out of every 4 years. LMAO.
Forgot, even Ron Prince beat Mack twice.
I'd be surprised if Mack hadn't bunkered down this week probably thinking that ESPiN through the LwN was relaying his gameplan to Snyder. The mouse must seriously want him to lose more & be out of Asstin.

rock on sooner
9/21/2013, 09:20 AM

Mack will leave as a very wealthy former coach...the buyout
will be enormous....

SoonerStormchaser
9/21/2013, 10:57 AM

FNypDGoC_8M

Who's Texass gonna get for their Ned?
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/8533/amod-ned.jpg

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2013, 12:08 PM
They had an extended segment on gameday about the horns woes. I wish those guys would STFU. We know Mack can't get his players charged up, but all these d*cks on TV might.

9/21/2013, 12:32 PM
Because we've been there, it's hard to watch. But remember, "They are Texas."

BigJerm7
9/21/2013, 12:50 PM
LHN has been awesome lately.

bluedogok
9/21/2013, 01:38 PM
Hypotheticals:

With 55,000 students it wouldn't make a dent.

salth2o
9/21/2013, 07:18 PM
Lots of empty seats in DKR tonight.

MyT Oklahoma
9/21/2013, 07:28 PM
Because we've been there, it's hard to watch. But remember, "They are Texas."

Yeah but I prefer "We were Texas" myself. LOL

SoonerInHSV
9/23/2013, 03:56 PM
will be enormous....

According to the DMN Macks buyout is only $3.5M this year dropping to $2.75M on Jan 1. Looks like the 2020 contract was more for show than anyone expecting him to stay that long. Nice to be able to tell recruits that you will be here the entire time.

link: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20121016-see-mack-brown-s-buyout-figures-at-texas-through-2020.ece

okiewaker
9/24/2013, 08:35 PM
So when Mack gets fired you obviously at least make a call to Saban. If he says no, who next? Names tossed have been Briles,,Patterson,,shaw,,etc,,etc. bullsh!t. If Saban says no, I'm going after Spurrier. At least try anyways.

soonergirlNeugene
9/24/2013, 11:45 PM
The crazy thing is I think Texas will "trip over their own d!cks" or at least thats how I think the saying goes. I wonder if they would even offer Briles, Patterson, or Rhoads b/c you can't jump from little brother to coaching at big brother. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Texas settling for nothing less than a big name that would satisfy all the deep pocket donors and wind up w/ something like Schnellenweiner.

picasso
9/24/2013, 11:55 PM
I think they should go for Todd Dodge.

bluedogok
9/25/2013, 10:35 PM
I think they should go for Todd Dodge.
He does live in the area now, coaching Marble Falls High School.

They would go after Briles, they have typically not gone with an assistant which is why David McWilliams left the UT staff to become head coach at Tech, then UT hired him to replace Akers the next year. It's doubtful they would go after an assistant but if they did it wouldn't surprise me for them to go after Chad Morris since he has ties to the area and a stellar record at Lake Travis prior to his time at Tulsa.

Jacie
9/26/2013, 08:02 AM
According to the DMN Macks buyout is only $3.5M this year dropping to $2.75M on Jan 1. Looks like the 2020 contract was more for show than anyone expecting him to stay that long. Nice to be able to tell recruits that you will be here the entire time.

Yeah, it is going to be tough for Mack and Sally to take a huge pay cut from the 5+ mill he is bringing home now . . .

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 11:10 AM

Meaningless like an NFL contract. His buyout is miniscule, in the $3M range.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 11:11 AM
will be enormous....

Completely false.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 11:14 AM
No program underachieves quite like Texas.
I agree UT should have more than 3 Big XII titles but doesn't it bother you that Mack has just as many national titles and BCS bowl wins as a HC as Stoops with this kind of statement?

Temujin
9/26/2013, 12:02 PM
I agree UT should have more than 3 Big XII titles but doesn't it bother you that Mack has just as many national titles and BCS bowl wins as a HC as Stoops with this kind of statement?

1. You're limiting your view to merely the Mack/Stoops era. On the whole, UT has underachieved for quite a few decades now. Given the resources that UT has at their disposal, one would expect to see UT perform on the level of Alabama, USC, or OU historically.

2. No, it doesn't, because I pay attention to context and history. First, Mack isn't a bad coach, as much as we like to make fun of him. Yes, Stoops is a better coach than Mack, and he has Mack's number. Switzer had Osborne's number for many of those battles. But you won't hear many NU fans say that Osborne was a bad coach. Second, as good as Stoops has been, it doesn't mean he's the best coach in CFB. There are better coaches in CFB, namely Saban and Meyer - both coaches that have defeated Stoops in BCS games. That's just part of the cycle of CFB.

UteSooner
9/26/2013, 12:10 PM

You can't be serious. Is that supposed to spread Horn misery to the Sooner fanbase?

1. the national championship argument is flawed. Are Bob and Mack the same as Gene Chizik? No.
2. when implying the comparison of two coaches, don't bring in the Big 12 title from before Mack. 2 to 8 titles isn't close.
3. the only schools that go on-and-on about "BCS bowl" wins are schools without championships to talk about (Boise, etc.).

Lastly, as a Sooner fan I am excited about the future of the OU football under Stoops. It's obvious the Horns don't feel the same about their team.

Widescreen
9/26/2013, 12:41 PM
Meaningless like an NFL contract. His buyout is miniscule, in the $3M range.

Completely false.

Crap. Who left the door unlocked?

EatLeadCommie
9/26/2013, 12:57 PM
I don't think Briles will leave Baylor. First, Baylor has a lot more money than people realize, and they can pay to keep him. They also have a new stadium next year and I think Briles is content with what he has built Baylor into. He doesn't want to deal with the expectations or the culture that they have in Austin.

I'm not sold on Patterson either. The Boise St. experiment has not gone too well outside of Boise. Hawkins sucked at CU, and Harsin hasn't exactly lit it up in Austin. I do think they will make a play for Charlie Strong or maybe even the Fresno St coach who will have a good year this year and has ties to the state of Texas. Neither one of those hires is a homerun, IMO. Strong has the potential to be, but beating up on Louisville's competition doesn't impress me.

badger
9/26/2013, 01:00 PM
Psst, let me tell you a secret: Will Muschamp is STILL Texas head coach in-waiting.

Waiting...waiting...waiting... :mack:

8timechamps
9/26/2013, 01:19 PM

You were questioning my logic in the other thread, so I certainly have to question yours on this.

I can only assume you wrote this tongue in cheek. I think (or thought) you were a student of the game, and you certainly know the difference between the two.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 01:42 PM
1. You're limiting your view to merely the Mack/Stoops era. On the whole, UT has underachieved for quite a few decades now. Given the resources that UT has at their disposal, one would expect to see UT perform on the level of Alabama, USC, or OU historically.

Yet you claim UT won't possibly improve by changing head coaches at this time. Cognitive dissonance. Look up the term.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 01:44 PM
Lastly, as a Sooner fan I am excited about the future of the OU football under Stoops. It's obvious the Horns don't feel the same about their team.
1) We'll feel much better when we get some new blood at head coach.

2) Let me know the first time Stoops wins it all with his own recruits. Hasn't happened yet.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 01:45 PM
You were questioning my logic in the other thread, so I certainly have to question yours on this.

I can only assume you wrote this tongue in cheek. I think (or thought) you were a student of the game, and you certainly know the difference between the two.

I thought national titles was the goal? Now it's conference titles? I'm confused. Because in national titles and BCS games, they're equal.

mhackl
9/26/2013, 02:12 PM

This is awesome!

Salt City Sooner
9/26/2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think Briles will leave Baylor. First, Baylor has a lot more money than people realize, and they can pay to keep him. They also have a new stadium next year and I think Briles is content with what he has built Baylor into. He doesn't want to deal with the expectations or the culture that they have in Austin.

I'm not sold on Patterson either. The Boise St. experiment has not gone too well outside of Boise. Hawkins sucked at CU, and Harsin hasn't exactly lit it up in Austin. I do think they will make a play for Charlie Strong or maybe even the Fresno St coach who will have a good year this year and has ties to the state of Texas. Neither one of those hires is a homerun, IMO. Strong has the potential to be, but beating up on Louisville's competition doesn't impress me.
He probably won't any time soon either, considering he's the HC at Arky St. now. ;)

Agree on the Boise thing though; the only one who left then & had any resemblance to sustainable success was Nutt, & he's been sporadic to say the least.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 02:31 PM
Yet you claim UT won't possibly improve by changing head coaches at this time. Cognitive dissonance. Look up the term.

Reading comprehension, look it up. I never said that, and neither did 8TC in the other post.

Widescreen
9/26/2013, 02:39 PM
2) Let me know the first time Stoops wins it all with his own recruits. Hasn't happened yet.
So Herr Scholz is John Blake? Since he never made a reference to his "kee-ids", I never know.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 02:44 PM
Reading comprehension, look it up. I never said that, and neither did 8TC in the other post.

OK, now you're just babbling or being intentionally dishonest, not sure which. Probably a touch of both. Here's your drivel from the other thread in response to my point about wanting to improve by changing our HC. You claim we'll be mediocre no matter what. Then out of the other side of your mouth, you claim that UT should be wildly successful given our resources but imply that a coaching change won't change anything anyway. You make zero sense. Why don't you just type "UT sucks" and be done with it because that's about the depth of your thought process. Don't drag 8TC into this. He knows how to converse as an adult.

No, he was telling you idiots that you should come to grips with the fact that UT is mediocre at best, and that we're happy to hand out beatdowns to the best coach you've ever had.

No, I said that the OP had a great point - that statistically Mack has the highest winning percentage of any UT coach. He also pointed out that UT fans have an unrealistic view of their program, and that (from a UT perspective) firing Mack might not be the best idea. However, at the same time (from an OU perspective), we like having Mack around because Stoops has his number.

I understand your hatred for OU blinds you to rational thought, but you're just looking silly here, son.

SoonerorLater
9/26/2013, 02:48 PM
I thought national titles was the goal? Now it's conference titles? I'm confused. Because in national titles and BCS games, they're equal.

It is but that's why the trajectory of the program is more important than any past acheivements. Unfortunately for coaches there isn't any goodwill depository they can withdraw from when the program goes downhill. "What have you done for me lately" is the mantra all coaches live by.

8timechamps
9/26/2013, 03:07 PM

I've missed you. Jerk.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 03:12 PM
Don't worry. I'll brighten up the place for the next couple of weeks and then disappear again when we lose by half a hundred again. ;) Until recruiting season. And then I will return in FULL FORCE!!

Temujin
9/26/2013, 03:13 PM
OK, now you're just babbling or being intentionally dishonest, not sure which. Probably a touch of both. Here's your drivel from the other thread in response to my point about wanting to improve by changing our HC. You claim we'll be mediocre no matter what. Then out of the other side of your mouth, you claim that UT should be wildly successful given our resources but imply that a coaching change won't change anything anyway. You make zero sense. Why don't you just type "UT sucks" and be done with it because that's about the depth of your thought process. Don't drag 8TC into this. He knows how to converse as an adult.

Where did I say that you "shouldn't try to improve" or that you wouldn't improve? That, I believe, is your direct argument, is it not? Please pull up the quote where I made that statement.

I made 2 statements - UT is a historical underachiever and your fanbase has a largely unrealistic view of their program. If you took issue with the validity of those statements, you might have a reasonable argument on your hands.

But instead you bring some outlying BS argument that we've been saying that you "shouldn't try to improve" of that you won't improve, all because you threw a hissy fit at how I made my statement. No one ever said that you shouldn't try to improve, no one even implied that. It was only suggested that firing your best coach statistically might not work out for you the way you think it will. Hell that's even the title of the other thread, of which you appear completely unaware or unable to comprehend.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 03:18 PM
Where did I say that you "shouldn't try to improve" or that you wouldn't improve?

You said we should just "come to grips that we're mediocre". To me that implies that we should just accept that fact (which is absolutely true right now) and that it was inevitable and that a coaching change wouldn't alter that.

It was only suggested that firing your best coach statistically might not work out for you the way you think it will.
National titles isn't a statistic? You seem to want to ignore that stat in every single conversation, be it involving Brown, Stoops, Royal or Chizik. Again, 3 > 1.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 03:33 PM
You said we should just "come to grips that we're mediocre". To me that implies that we should just accept that fact (which is absolutely true right now) and that it was inevitable and that a coaching change wouldn't alter that.

That's where it helps to read the whole post, not just the part that pisses you off. Note that I was speaking about historical underachievement.

National titles isn't a statistic? You seem to want to ignore that stat in every single conversation, be it involving Brown, Stoops, Royal or Chizik. Again, 3 > 1.

Never said it wasn't. And no, I don't.

No, I said that the OP had a great point - that statistically Mack has the highest winning percentage of any UT coach. He also pointed out that UT fans have an unrealistic view of their program, and that (from a UT perspective) firing Mack might not be the best idea. However, at the same time (from an OU perspective), we like having Mack around because Stoops has his number.

I understand your hatred for OU blinds you to rational thought, but you're just looking silly here, son.

I also never gave my opinion of what would happen if Mack were fired and UT got another coach. I'm merely arguing on 8TC's well-crafted post on the other thread.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 03:42 PM
Fair enough. But as far as being historically mediocre, I'd argue against that. We're #2 in all time wins for FBS schools and we're a top 10 all time team in every one of those lists I've seen. I'd put OU as a top 5 all time team but being top 10 all time is definitely not "mediocre". I think you lose credibility in your argument with that one and come off as blinded by hate.

Yes, we may not strike gold with the next hire but we're to the point that we want a new direction with the coaching and are willing to risk it. We haven't done jack since 2009 as it is. As you point out, Mack's only won 2 conference titles in 15 seasons and it doesn't look good to make it 3 this year. That's pretty paltry. His time is up.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 04:13 PM
Fair enough. But as far as being historically mediocre, I'd argue against that. We're #2 in all time wins for FBS schools and we're a top 10 all time team in every one of those lists I've seen. I'd put OU as a top 5 all time team but being top 10 all time is definitely not "mediocre". I think you lose credibility in your argument with that one and come off as blinded by hate.

Yes, we may not strike gold with the next hire but we're to the point that we want a new direction with the coaching and are willing to risk it. We haven't done jack since 2009 as it is. As you point out, Mack's only won 2 conference titles in 15 seasons and it doesn't look good to make it 3 this year. That's pretty paltry. His time is up.

Yeah, underachieving is more what I was aiming for, but mediocre just sounded damn good when it came out. ;)

My perception is that if UT lets Mack go, they've got more than a 50/50 chance at landing someone really good. It depends on where they go with the hire. If they're looking for an established elite coach, I don't see one out there right now that would make the jump. But if they insist on going that route (We're TEXAS, dammit!) then I imagine they'll land a big name that's not going to get the job done.

If they go the route that Castiglione did in getting a top-shelf coordinator, I think they're better off. But that's also a risky proposition sometimes.

BEST case scenario for UT? They suffer with Mack for 1-2 years, and snag Chip Kelly when he inevitably fails at Philly. That guy has college-only written all over him. In that case, I think he comes back to the college game and builds up a program really nicely. With UT resources and recruiting grounds, he'll be tough to beat.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 04:26 PM
My guess is we'll go for a big name, established, splash hire. Because of ego as well as the very recent failed experiment at hiring an "up and coming", highly recommended DC Manny _iaz from the vaunted SEC no less. It'll be interesting to watch but I think you're underestimating who might be "available" when we start talking about an $8M/year salary. Don't think Chip Kelly would be considered given his baggage. I say offer Jim Harbaugh $8-$10M per year and make him turn that down. We could easily afford that. Make him say no to that. If not, hire his brother.

badger
9/26/2013, 04:27 PM
I say offer Jim Harbaugh

Because if Jim Harbaugh gives a pregame pep talk hype up to our mediocre quarterback recruits, they'll suddenly be as good as Colt/Vince/etc Hook em

Temujin
9/26/2013, 04:46 PM
My guess is we'll go for a big name, established, splash hire. Because of ego as well as the very recent failed experiment at hiring an "up and coming", highly recommended DC Manny _iaz from the vaunted SEC no less. It'll be interesting to watch but I think you're underestimating who might be "available" when we start talking about an $8M/year salary. Don't think Chip Kelly would be considered given his baggage. I say offer Jim Harbaugh $8-$10M per year and make him turn that down. We could easily afford that. Make him say no to that. If not, hire his brother.

Yeah, but just from observation - what UT fans want, and what they get from the UT brass don't often reconcile. Maybe they do go hard like that after Harbaugh, I just don't see it. There's a lot of "one-upmanship" in CFB with regard to salaries, but the increments aren't usually that overblown. Then again, I'm not that close to the UT program.

I do agree with you about Chip Kelly, I don't think they'll hire him because of what might happen with Oregon. But I really do think he'd be your ideal option.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah, but just from observation - what UT fans want, and what they get from the UT brass don't often reconcile. Maybe they do go hard like that after Harbaugh, I just don't see it. There's a lot of "one-upmanship" in CFB with regard to salaries, but the increments aren't usually that overblown. Then again, I'm not that close to the UT program.

I heard $8M being thrown around by big donors with regard to making Saban an offer. Of course the BOR would have to stomach that and approve the offer. That's a different story. They may not want to do that in good conscience. But we could easily afford it though. Our athletic dept brings in > $160M per year, over $100M from football alone.

8timechamps
9/26/2013, 05:36 PM
I heard $8M being thrown around by big donors with regard to making Saban an offer. Of course the BOR would have to stomach that and approve the offer. That's a different story. They may not want to do that in good conscience. But we could easily afford it though. Our athletic dept brings in > $160M per year, over $100M from football alone.

What surprised me was how the football program only spends something like 25% of the total take (of which they bring in...just guessing...80%?). Factor in what Mack is getting paid, and I can understand the current attitude of Horn fans.

I can't see Saban leaving, but everyone has a price.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 05:50 PM

There's no doubting the pure buying power that UT has. And it's surprising to see UT's struggles of late. It's not like you haven't brought in talent or reputable coaches. Which, in some ways, lends to the theory that UT will buy who they want, since it appears that gauging coaching talent isn't the forte of this current administration. UT is an enigma, for sure. But I'm happy with it as it stands right now. ;)

Temujin
9/26/2013, 05:55 PM
What surprised me was how the football program only spends something like 25% of the total take (of which they bring in...just guessing...80%?). Factor in what Mack is getting paid, and I can understand the current attitude of Horn fans.

It's hard to imagine Saban leaving. He's got tons of momentum ruling what is generally considered the top conference in CFB. And he makes decent bank, too. I'd be curious, though, if he did jump...would it hurt his recruiting? He's already known as being someone to follow the money trail.

BoulderSooner79
9/26/2013, 06:05 PM
It's hard to imagine Saban leaving. He's got tons of momentum ruling what is generally considered the top conference in CFB. And he makes decent bank, too. I'd be curious, though, if he did jump...would it hurt his recruiting? He's already known as being someone to follow the money trail.

If Saban were to leave, I doubt it would be for money (would have to be ego). If UT plops down $8M for anyone, Saban will get a raise at 'Bama. Same goes for all the top schools paying top dollar. Doesn't mean they will match UT, but they will react in order to remain a "destination" school. Stoops' contract extensions and raises are not just done to keep Bob, they are partly done to keep OU a destination school too.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 06:22 PM
If Saban were to leave, I doubt it would be for money (would have to be ego). If UT plops down $8M for anyone, Saban will get a raise at 'Bama. Same goes for all the top schools paying top dollar. Doesn't mean they will match UT, but they will react in order to remain a "destination" school. Stoops' contract extensions and raises are not just done to keep Bob, they are partly done to keep OU a destination school too.

I agree.

Tear Down This Wall
9/27/2013, 09:40 AM

You forgot about Dirk Koetter's failure at Arizona State.

Funny what happens to Boise coaches when they leave the friendly confines of Big West/WAC/Mountain West football.

picasso
9/27/2013, 09:55 AM
Hardbra would be a perfecit fit at Texas.
A constant whiner.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2013, 09:55 AM
You forgot about Dirk Koetter's failure at Arizona State.

Funny what happens to Boise coaches when they leave the friendly confines of Big West/WAC/Mountain West football.

Easy to generalize, but every coach is an individual. I suspect Peterson has interviewed for higher profile jobs, but has not been selected based on the interview. If schools' ADs have avoided him just because he coaches Boise, then they are morons.

Herr Scholz
9/27/2013, 10:51 AM
You're right and we'll find out in short order. If Saban wants to cement his legacy in Tuscaloosa, then we'll just go next on the list. Don't think it will take long. But another issue that might exclude a lot of coaches is all the extra stuff that comes along with coaching at UT (all the gladhanding and speaking engagements, keeping the TX high school coaches happy, keeping the big donors happy, dealing with the constant Longhorn Network intrusion, etc.). The UT head coaching job pretty much requires a lot of CEO and political duties. Really good pure football coaches such as a Gary Patterson or an Art Briles may or may not ever want to deal with those extra responsibilities/time drains. But millions of dollars talks pretty loudly. We'll see who wants the gig.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2013, 11:19 AM
You're right and we'll find out in short order. If Saban wants to cement his legacy in Tuscaloosa, then we'll just go next on the list. Don't think it will take long. But another issue that might exclude a lot of coaches is all the extra stuff that comes along with coaching at UT (all the gladhanding and speaking engagements, keeping the TX high school coaches happy, keeping the big donors happy, dealing with the constant Longhorn Network intrusion, etc.). The UT head coaching job pretty much requires a lot of CEO and political duties. Really good pure football coaches such as a Gary Patterson or an Art Briles may or may not ever want to deal with those extra responsibilities/time drains. But millions of dollars talks pretty loudly. We'll see who wants the gig.

Donors, politics, gladhanding, LHN. Sounds like a perfect jobs for....

Mack Brown!

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2013, 12:23 PM

Mack Brown!

Beautiful

Herr Scholz
9/27/2013, 12:32 PM

Mack Brown!

Those are definitely his strengths. As well as talking up a storm of BS.

Temujin
9/27/2013, 12:37 PM

Interesting. If a lot of that is true (and I have no reason to doubt you), there are a LOT of really good coaches that would fail at that job...Stoops probably being one of them. Guys like Saban, Snyder, Stoops, perhaps Meyer or even Harbuagh - they're generally nose to the grindstone types and are surly at best to the circus that surrounds their positions. Sounds like UT needs more of a Pete Carroll kind of guy. Just off the top of my head, I don't know anyone available that would fit that bill. It almost seems like staying with Mack and building a strong staff of coordinators and such is your best bet.

badger
9/27/2013, 12:45 PM
Nick Saban is 62 years old. I know everyone has a price, but he has millions from coaching stops at Bammer, LSU, the NFL and even back at Michigan State. There will need to be another factor besides spelling his name "$aban" for him to leave Bammsterdam.

I am not saying it won't happen, there just needs to be more than money for it to happen. Does he have family/friends in Austin area? Does he like Austin's weird music scene? Will they give him your state capitol building to live in?

PalmBeachSooner
9/27/2013, 12:49 PM
The only thing guaranteed is that Nick Saban will be a lot richer come next season.

KantoSooner
9/27/2013, 04:23 PM
Since I don't think Saban or Urban are going anywhere, the one I hope doesn't go is Strong. That would be truly scary.

badger
9/27/2013, 04:36 PM
Since I don't think Saban or Urban are going anywhere, the one I hope doesn't go is Strong. That would be truly scary.

Remember when Charlie Strong couldn't get hired anywhere, allegedly because he was a black man with a white wife? :(

Remember when the Big 12 chose West Virginia over Louisville... or rather, didn't just take them both? :(:(:(:(:(

mainline13
9/27/2013, 08:24 PM

Sounds more like an inference on your part than an implication on his part. Inference. You might want to look that up.