PDA

View Full Version : having computer issues,can anyone recommend secure help?

stoopified
9/19/2013, 10:36 AM
I have been wading through dozens of sites trying to get my cmputer cleaned and am having no luck.I'm hoping someone can reccommend a site that can help me and is trustworthy.It would be nice if it is free or at least doesn't cost an arm and a led. TIA

Yes I am aware most of my issues are due to the fact I am a computer moron.

yermom
9/19/2013, 10:43 AM
it's amazing what AdBlock, Flashblock and Chrome do to curb that...

what are the symptoms?

olevetonahill
9/19/2013, 10:54 AM
Dave I had Chrome at one point but Wildblue said they didnt support it and it was part of the Probs I was having at the time, They now say its compatible should I go back to it or stay with FF?

soonerboomer93
9/19/2013, 02:07 PM
Assuming it malware?

bleepingcomputer is pretty good from what I can tell.

8timechamps
9/19/2013, 04:57 PM
Not sure what kind of problems you're having, but I've always had excellent luck with Webroot's SpySweeper when it comes to malware. It's a trusted vendor, and you only get what you pay for (not a bunch of toolbars and crap).

Otherwise, I use Norton for all of my personal and office computers.

yermom
9/19/2013, 07:21 PM
i haven't had any real problems with MS Security Essentials... but i'm a bit cautious about what i click on

Norton/Symantec might as well be a virus. i'm not getting that crap anywhere near my stuff

8timechamps
9/19/2013, 08:03 PM
i haven't had any real problems with MS Security Essentials... but i'm a bit cautious about what i click on

Norton/Symantec might as well be a virus. i'm not getting that crap anywhere near my stuff

Okay, I'm NOT a computer guru, but I've always heard Norton was a good tool to protect your computer. However, your comment is not the first I've heard. What, exactly, is it about Norton/Symantec that is so bad? Remember, I'm a computer dummy, so you'll probably have to dumb down your reply.

olevetonahill
9/19/2013, 08:17 PM
Okay, I'm NOT a computer guru, but I've always heard Norton was a good tool to protect your computer. However, your comment is not the first I've heard. What, exactly, is it about Norton/Symantec that is so bad? Remember, I'm a computer dummy, so you'll probably have to dumb down your reply.

Ditto.
My Son tells me I HAVE to have Norton. Hes an Idiot but Ima Moran!

yermom
9/19/2013, 09:12 PM
Too many bad experiences over the years.

I've literally cleaned viruses that were easier to remove than Norton

It's way too liberal with the control it takes of your computer and its resources

yermom
9/19/2013, 09:14 PM
And Firefox is fine, I just prefer chrome. Anything is better than internet exploder

Cheerin' 4 OU
9/19/2013, 10:37 PM
Count me in as another vote for bleepingcomputer. They charge nothing but are very good at what they do.

soonerboomer93
9/20/2013, 12:34 AM

it's a major resource hog, unpossible to uninstall.

Kaspersky is much better.

However, for me atleast I have no problem with MS Security essentials.

soonerboomer93
9/20/2013, 12:38 AM
And Firefox is fine, I just prefer chrome. Anything is better than internet exploder

I user IE 10, works fine.

I also have firefox installed. I'm banning Chrome at the office. I don't trust Google.

yermom
9/20/2013, 06:25 AM
I use IE when forced to. It works great for the proprietary sites that require it and malware :)

Oh and Bing. Works great for trying to force Bing on you

KantoSooner
9/20/2013, 09:56 AM
I use ESET at the office. Spendy but very aggressive in anti-virus mode. And I somehow feel safer with central Europeans in charge of my security in general.

"Don't concern yourself, mein fuhrer. Ve hafe the matter in hand. You need not dirty your hands vith zese....people. They vill be...taken care of."

8timechamps
9/20/2013, 05:15 PM
Okay, now that I'm starting to see why Norton/Symantec isn't good, I'm wonder how hard is it to remove?

I have my PCs at home (2), my laptop, and all of the computers at my office (23). I contract with a local tech company for all the software/hardware issues, but I've never addressed the Norton/Symantec issue with them.

If I do, I just want to make sure they don't see dollar signs when discussing options.

Breadburner
9/20/2013, 05:37 PM
I like norton....AVG sucks even the one you pay for....

yermom
9/20/2013, 06:41 PM
i stopped using AVG. my friends and family couldn't figure out how to keep using the free version...

if you really need to push some policy or centrally manage things and don't mind slowing everything down, by all means, use Symantec ;)

i haven't had too many problems with McAfee, except that stupid false positive update thing on XP machines in April of 2010. that was pretty lame.

BajaOklahoma
9/20/2013, 09:48 PM
I had to use McAfee's tech service to remove a virus that I couldn't get rid of with any other methods I tried.
It was 120 for a year's coverage. Not cheap, but I didn't lose anything on the computer.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/20/2013, 11:21 PM
No AVG, no Norton..I use Avast at home, Microsoft Forefront at work

Killerbees
9/23/2013, 01:50 PM
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/

I used to help people out there many years ago. I see some of the same people still attached to it so I would recommend them. There are links there to many other good sites to find help.

Bleeping computers is also good.

For antivirus it used to be AVG. Now for free anti-virus I recommend microsoft security essentials as they have as good or better clean up rate and identification rates as some of the better paid anti-virus out there. For paid I would get Kaspersky.

You also need a good spyware removal tool. Spybot, AdAware, Malware bytes are all good. They don't need to run continuously but should be scheduled once a week or so.

Ditch Internet Explorer for Mozilla Firefox.

For bullet proof protection, I would just ditch all of it along with Windows and install Linux Mint. If you just wanna surf and run simple programs then this is the best option. My list of pc's to fix for friends and family has all but dissapeared since I have talked most of them into using it. They all love it because IT JUST WORKS. I have yet to see a single virus or malware problem on one. Spyware in the form of cookies are easily handled with a few extensions on Firefox.

Scott D
9/23/2013, 03:27 PM
I heart Kaspersky, that is all.

stoopified
9/30/2013, 08:28 PM
Ended up having to take my computer into our tech guy.He cleaned it up and now I am back FINALLY. I think I screwed it up worse trying to fix it myself.Do appreciate all the advice,some of it might have worked if I was a computer moron.