PDA

View Full Version : So Sumlin now recruits on Thurs and Friday nights by helicopter

aurorasooner
9/19/2013, 06:50 AM
I guess we'd better upgrade our fleet of planes and add a helicopter.
In addition to the packed recruiting weekend, Johnston also is coordinating what they call the "Swagcopter." Last year, Sumlin used a booster's helicopter to drop in, not inconspicuously, on a high school game. (A&M landed both prospects Sumlin went to see that day. One of whom was five-star receiver Ricky Seals-Jones.) On Thursday night, right after practice, he's planning on taking another bird ride to the Dallas-area to watch another blue-chip recruit.

"The only thing scarier than flying in a helicopter during the day is flying in one at night," the coach says. Good read on a$m's prep for last weeks Bama game from CBS. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/23720788/all-access-an-exclusive-behind-the-scenes-look-at-how-am-prepared-for-top-ranked-alabama-

Mac94
9/19/2013, 07:30 AM
Yup ... the swagcopter was quite the story last year during the season.

IslandSooner
9/19/2013, 08:47 AM
Pinkel used the same approach in 2011 to land DGB!!!

jkjsooner
9/19/2013, 09:38 AM
And we wonder why these kids come to campus with a sense of entitlement...

In many cases these coaches will kiss the kids *** until they sign. Once they're on campus they find out that the rules of the game have changed. Other coaches continue to kiss their *** which doesn't do anyone any good.

Not criticizing Sumlin. It's just the nature of the beast.

badger
9/19/2013, 09:39 AM
Once they're on campus they find out that the rules of the game have changed.

This statement can apply in so many ways in regard to the transition from HS to college football... hey look! SI did a five-part series on OSU :stunned:

Mac94
9/19/2013, 10:00 AM
In many cases these coaches will kiss the kids *** until they sign. Once they're on campus they find out that the rules of the game have changed.

Yup ... it's called derecruting a kid once they're on campus. It was even portrayed a bit in the movie "The Program" with the hotshot freshman RB wondering where the band and cheerleaders where when he showed up on campus for his first day.

Sabanball
9/19/2013, 10:25 AM
Saban brought his helicopter to Tuscaloosa when he got here in 2007. Sometimes its just quicker than having to get to and from an airport and for multiple stops its a lot easier.

KantoSooner
9/19/2013, 11:29 AM
It would seem a fine line to tread. You want to land the most productive recruits you can and some will be impressed by over the top bling bling; so why not?
On the other hand, the type of mind that is bowled over by this is also more prone to be flighty, irresponsible, and impulse driven and thus to cause problems later on or even quit football in the aftermath of a temper tantrum.

Saban seems to successfully handling the risk. The jury is still very much out on Sumlin and whether he's handling it or introducing a cancer into A&M's program.

I have to say that I'm much happier with OU's program since Bob lost his **** and started his 'Fire For Excellence' program a year or so ago. You don't have to be cruel or vindictive about it, but the 'perform or don't play' attitude has to be cultivated.

Mac94
9/19/2013, 01:11 PM
Saban seems to successfully handling the risk. The jury is still very much out on Sumlin and whether he's handling it or introducing a cancer into A&M's program.

We'll see ... but if you are refering to our rather well known QB it should be noted that he was recruited and signed during Coach Sherman's time at A&M ... before the swagcopter and such.

Jacie
9/19/2013, 01:48 PM
So in order to insure incoming freshman are not easily swayed by bling, we should only sign recruits who have seen OUr recruiters arrive in a 63 Corvair with mismatched hubcaps?

KantoSooner
9/19/2013, 02:12 PM
Mac, I was not referring to any particular player but rather to the program as a whole. I'm an outsider to A&M, but it seems that there's at least the beginniing of a culture in which some players are simply too big for the rules. That's a cancer that will, inevitably, turn around and bite the hand that feeds it.

Jacie, No on the corvair, but I'd like players who respond to sales pitches and life in general with a bit more maturity than the average. I think BYU is a pretty good example of getting more than the raw athletic stats would indicate out of stabler players. I also think Blake Bell is a pretty good example of the good things that can come from recruiting slightly cooler heads.

70sooner
9/20/2013, 09:12 AM
Pinkel used the same approach in 2011 to land DGB!!!

so glad OU did not end up with that kid....

IslandSooner
9/20/2013, 09:20 AM
so glad OU did not end up with that kid....

I agree

sooneron
9/20/2013, 10:00 AM
Mac, I was not referring to any particular player but rather to the program as a whole. I'm an outsider to A&M, but it seems that there's at least the beginning of a culture in which some players are simply too big for the rules.

I'd say that culture is already there.

cvsooner
9/20/2013, 01:39 PM
Despite my feelings about aTm and their program and the QB they have, that story is a great, fascinating read.

I found this frustrating and interesting:

11:16 a.m.: Manziel is back at Spavital's desk looking at more Alabama video.

"I really didn't watch that much film last year," he admits. "We mostly just watched it in the meeting room. Oklahoma (at the end of the season) was the game I probably watched the most.

"I like to see people's tendencies more than anything else." Gauging how aggressive rival players are is big for him. He can use that. He can manipulate them.

For all of Manziel's frenetic ways, Spavital says the sophomore quarterback has an uncanny sense of finding holes in defenses.

:grumpy:

Yeah, thanks a lot.