PDA

View Full Version : GTA 5

achiro
9/18/2013, 04:47 PM
I never would have thought of myself as a prude but ho-lee geez this one is a whole new level of crude...or maybe I'm just getting old. :lemo:
My 13yo son is wanting to play it, "all his friends parents are letting them play it". My response, "your friends have crappy parents, no way you are playing this game with my approval".

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2013, 04:48 PM
No PC version? **** Rockstar!

8timechamps
9/18/2013, 05:38 PM
I never would have thought of myself as a prude but ho-lee geez this one is a whole new level of crude...or maybe I'm just getting old. :lemo:
My 13yo son is wanting to play it, "all his friends parents are letting them play it". My response, "your friends have crappy parents, no way you are playing this game with my approval".

Mine too. He has tried every angle.

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2013, 05:53 PM
My parents never limited in any shape, form, or fashion what I watched on TV or what computer games I played. None whatsoever.

olevetonahill
9/18/2013, 05:55 PM
My parents never limited in any shape, form, or fashion what I watched on TV or what computer games I played. None whatsoever.

And Look how well YOU turned out,

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2013, 06:00 PM
And Look how well YOU turned out,

Well, I've never stolen a damned thing in my entire life. I've never grabbed a gun and gone on a shooting rampage. I've never dealt crack on the side of the road. I've never blown anything or anyone up, etc. etc. etc.

So, yeah, I think I feel comfortable in saying that having no limits on my media consumption didn't turn me into a sociopath, a psychopath, etc.

olevetonahill
9/18/2013, 06:11 PM
Well, I've never stolen a damned thing in my entire life. I've never grabbed a gun and gone on a shooting rampage. I've never dealt crack on the side of the road. I've never blown anything or anyone up, etc. etc. etc.

So, yeah, I think I feel comfortable in saying that having no limits on my media consumption didn't turn me into a sociopath, a psychopath, etc.

See what I mean? You Dayumned near Perfect,

achiro
9/18/2013, 06:14 PM

Yet...

olevetonahill
9/18/2013, 06:17 PM
Yet...

He also aint ever been laid, Never ridden anything bigger than a Moped, Never drank a Stout Malt. Never been a Bride just a Brides maid.Well you see how this works :surprise:

SicEmBaylor
9/18/2013, 06:18 PM
See what I mean? You Dayumned near Perfect,
I'm not at all perfect ,and if not going on a killing rampage is a sign of being perfect then there are a lot of perfect people out there. I never said anything of the sort...

What's with you?

8timechamps
9/18/2013, 06:21 PM
It's not that my kid has never seen the things he would see playing GTA V, it's more that I don't want him to see more of it. He has plenty of games he can play, so there's no reason for me to spend $70 so that he can beat a hooker.

Edit: I'm not of the illusion that violent video games cause kids to be violent. It's more about having better things to do in his free time (or should I say, giving him better things to do in he free time).

olevetonahill
9/18/2013, 06:24 PM
I'm not at all perfect ,and if not going on a killing rampage is a sign of being perfect then there are a lot of perfect people out there. I never said anything of the sort...

What's with you?

Heh
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBgblWtnMXpoR5EPMk-DvsTPP-xU9S7EyxmtwkSihIB1PNOhH0Zw

achiro
9/18/2013, 07:39 PM
It's not that my kid has never seen the things he would see playing GTA V, it's more that I don't want him to see more of it. He has plenty of games he can play, so there's no reason for me to spend $70 so that he can beat a hooker.

Edit: I'm not of the illusion that violent video games cause kids to be violent. It's more about having better things to do in his free time (or should I say, giving him better things to do in he free time).

FYI, fully bude noobies shown in all their glory.

8timechamps
9/18/2013, 08:01 PM
FYI, fully bude noobies shown in all their glory.

Maybe I need to get it for myself. :)

Seriously, I always like the GTA franchise, I just don't have the free time I once had to play long, story driven games.

Killerbees
9/19/2013, 03:17 AM
I am playing it and no way would I let any kids play it. Besides all the nudity, screwing and cussing going on, they have taken the dialogue to a whole nother level. Its hilarious but definately not for kids.

example.

1 character threatning to kick another persons teeth in (right before he stomps him to death) so he could gum "his boys" for a while. not for kids.

KantoSooner
9/19/2013, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure that limiting kids has any effect. I, for example, read 'The Day of the Jackal' at age 11 and the only directly attributable effect was a tremendous upsurge in my devotion to accurate riflery (and a concomitant drop in the local small furry animal population.)

And, of course, a undemiable urge for Mrs. Robinson liaisons in French country villas. But, I mean, who doesn't share that?

badger
9/19/2013, 10:31 AM
Todder Baj is now 18 months old. A daycare supervisor pulled me aside after school yesterday and was like "Your daughter was saying what sounded like the s-word and the f-word."

I was shocked, because I had never heard her say either at home... then I tested how she said similar sounding words and sure enough, "shirt" was the s-word and "milk" sounded a lot like the f-word.

Some day, I'll have to worry about GTA 5-like things teaching her bad stuff. For now, I just need to worry about diction :(

KantoSooner
9/19/2013, 11:35 AM
Read to her. Every moment you can. It will pay dividends for life and will literally probably boost her high school GPA by a full grade point. Which, if you want to think of it that way, is essentially money in your pocket in 18 years' time.

badger
9/19/2013, 12:10 PM
Read to her. Every moment you can. It will pay dividends for life and will literally probably boost her high school GPA by a full grade point. Which, if you want to think of it that way, is essentially money in your pocket in 18 years' time.

Oh yeah, loves books. Will sit by herself in a corner randomly and read to herself. Very cute.

Back to GTA 5, I googled it and found references to a disturbing torture scene... go ahead and scream "NSFW" and brace for this:
9RuNivXp1_w

The difference between this as Metal Gear Solid tortures of previous games is that YOU, the player, are torturing, rather than trying to resist torture... and this seems to be far more disturbing :(

Keep your kids away from this game.

Soonerjeepman
9/19/2013, 12:31 PM
and "milk" sounded a lot like the f-word.

:(

Maybe it was ****...which I like ;-) lol

*what? M I L F...that was bleeped out?

badger
9/19/2013, 12:34 PM
Maybe it was ****...which I like ;-) lol

*what? M I L F...that was bleeped out?

She was pronouncing it like "muck"

She can do the f-sound, but usually drops that one too. She's lazy like mommy :P

Soonerjeepman
9/19/2013, 12:35 PM
Achiro,
I totally agree with your stance. True MAYBE all these violent games don't have a big influence, but it sure can't help. My GF's son has all the shootem up ones, he's 8. Had them since 6, I'm guessing. I FINALLY convinced her to not let him use them. He's border line ADHD so he really doesn't need this. His dad is an A$$ (for a ton of reasons) and continues to push it.

There is a time and place...13 is not the time for GTA5

badger
9/19/2013, 12:46 PM
Achiro,
I totally agree with your stance. True MAYBE all these violent games don't have a big influence, but it sure can't help. My GF's son has all the shootem up ones, he's 8. Had them since 6, I'm guessing. I FINALLY convinced her to not let him so them. He's border line ADHD but he really doesn't need this. His dad is an A$$ (for a ton of reasons) and continues to push it.

There is a time and place...13 is not the time for GTA5

GTA, in the past, tamed the grittiness by emphasizing humor. Yes, you are murdering people with your car, but your car is a tank! And their body is a unbelievable caricature, so it might as well be a ragdoll! And the people you're murdering are grannies would are shaking their walking canes at you as they die! HA!

That torture scene (video I linked earlier) should be the new "Hot Coffee," the one that makes the game rated "Adults Only" instead of "Mature." Admittedly, kids would still play and it wouldn't hurt sales in the least.

Soonerjeepman
9/19/2013, 12:54 PM
I'm old school...play army OUTSIDE...ya burn energy, get tough (falling on the dirt after ya get "shot")...and ya use your imagination...finding the coolest stick to be your gun~

KantoSooner
9/19/2013, 02:29 PM
Or even more old school: playing 'war' with bb guns.

It was great until that inevitable kid who went and got a pellet rifle. Those bastidges HURT! And it's hard to cover up the wound. And then your mom finds out. And then your dad is involved. And things go downhill sharply from there.

But, what the hell, it was time to switch over from playing 'war' to swiping girly magazines and beers and creating a little man cave out in the local woods anyway. And train your dog to stay still and serve as a footrest. (Not easy.)

8timechamps
9/19/2013, 04:54 PM
I'm "old school" too. Our after school games included hours of football in the yard and riding our bikes anywhere and everywhere.

But...

This is a different era. With the way the internet has made the world smaller, the kids all play online with each other. Like everything else in life, it all comes back to parental influence.

My 13 year old would play video games from sunup to sundown if his mother and I let him, but we don't. He loves and plays baseball, so that's the outlet we use to promote activity.

If a kid (just about any kid) is left to entertain him/herself, I'm sure they would play video games as much as possible.

Collier11
9/19/2013, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure that limiting kids has any effect. I, for example, read 'The Day of the Jackal' at age 11 and the only directly attributable effect was a tremendous upsurge in my devotion to accurate riflery (and a concomitant drop in the local small furry animal population.)

And, of course, a undemiable urge for Mrs. Robinson liaisons in French country villas. But, I mean, who doesn't share that?

I don't think it has much of an overall impact if you are raising your kids right and to understand fantasy vs reality...bottom line though, no kid should be playing that crap. When I was a kid (granted there weren't as many games) I played sports games and mario

Collier11
9/19/2013, 06:35 PM
and to speak to what some of you all are saying about being old school, these kids these days don't do a damn thing away from the computer. I had video games that I loved playing, but I loved being outside just as much. Loved playing sports, searching the woods, playing in the dirt, etc... hell, these days parents don't even make their kids do anything. There were times when me and my cousins were told to go outside and play and the door was locked. A lot of parents these days are lazy dooshers

olevetonahill
9/19/2013, 06:42 PM
Ima gonna say sompun, Yall tell me iffen Im wrong ok?
There 6 million kids (im guessin ok?) that Play these Games and Not a dayum thing goes wrong in their little minds and they grow up and do well Right?

What about the 10,000 that Play this **** and get all ****in twisted and crap then go out and Kill folks cause they think its "Just a game"?

Put it another way 1 million kids a year get stung by Bees, 3 get sick the rest just shrug it off, but 25 DIE,
Come on think this **** thru ok?
Just because YOU turned out fine dont mean little Stupid johhny will!

8timechamps
9/19/2013, 07:02 PM
Ima gonna say sompun, Yall tell me iffen Im wrong ok?
There 6 million kids (im guessin ok?) that Play these Games and Not a dayum thing goes wrong in their little minds and they grow up and do well Right?

What about the 10,000 that Play this **** and get all ****in twisted and crap then go out and Kill folks cause they think its "Just a game"?

Put it another way 1 million kids a year get stung by Bees, 3 get sick the rest just shrug it off, but 25 DIE,
Come on think this **** thru ok?
Just because YOU turned out fine dont mean little Stupid johhny will!

Here's the thing, violence has been around far longer than video games. Kids have been watching violence, in some form or another, for centuries. The vast majority turn out fine. I've yet to hear of an incident where a kid killed anyone because of a video game they played. I've seen a lot of incidents where a kid killed someone, and it was also reported that the kid played video games...but, that's like saying kids become violent because they drink milk with antibiotics in it. It's still never been proven that watching violence promotes one to be violent.

I think there are factors that lead to violence that heavily outweigh video games (or movies, or music, etc.). It starts with the parents. If a kid is predisposed to be violent, an involved parent would be aware of that. When you go back and look at the sick kids that have killed, it's almost always the same story; the parents either did nothing, or very little, to monitor the child.

Collier11
9/19/2013, 08:21 PM
Vet, your argument is no diff than those who say that if guns are around people will die

rock on sooner
9/19/2013, 08:51 PM
Vet, your argument is no diff than those who say that if guns are around people will die

Welp, IF guns er around, eventually, people will die. Somebody goes off half
cocked! IDM, what kinda gun..handgun, shotgun, semi auto er even full auto.
It is human for conflict to occur. The issue, imo, being sensible, rational, even
laid back and discuss whatever disagreement. Sadness is that some who are
a doughnut er two short of a dozen gets a hold of firepower and creates so much
grieving. Aint no laws, background checks, vigilant sheriffs or anyone else that
can prevent what follows. My heart breaks at the senseless stuff like Newtown
or Aurora or Ft. Hood or D.C. Don't know the answer for certain, especially with
our Constitution and its Amendments. Oughta be something, though....

rock on sooner
9/19/2013, 08:53 PM
I just reread what I wrote...not trying to hijack the thread...just an
opinion....

olevetonahill
9/19/2013, 08:53 PM
All 3 of Yall PROVED my point
Think about it.

olevetonahill
9/19/2013, 08:56 PM
Little johnny Dint get Violent from Playing/watching Violent games
Great! But what about the Little James that did?

landrun
9/19/2013, 09:04 PM
800 million dollars of sales in the first day. :miserable:

wow.... just wow....

8timechamps
9/19/2013, 09:09 PM
Little johnny Dint get Violent from Playing/watching Violent games
Great! But what about the Little James that did?

But you could say that about anything.

I still contend that video games don't MAKE people violent. If one or two end up violent, and they happened to play video games, that's because of another influence.

Guns don't kill people. People with guns, that kill other people, have another influence that caused them to kill.

olevetonahill
9/19/2013, 09:23 PM
But you could say that about anything.

I still contend that video games don't MAKE people violent. If one or two end up violent, and they happened to play video games, that's because of another influence.

Guns don't kill people. People with guns, that kill other people, have another influence that caused them to kill.

BINGO!

badger
9/20/2013, 09:51 AM
I used to play online games with voice communication options.

Those little undeage ****ers do not SHUT UP.

I can't count the number of times I started "vote mute" on the lot of them, all while they're howling "You stupid ***** don't ****ing mute me you ****head!"

*MUTE*

Don't disallow M-rated games for your kid's sake if you don't think it'll turn em violent or whatever. Disallow for actual of-age gamers' sake that has to babysit your kid's mouth while he plays (until inevitably muting him)

TheUnnamedSooner
9/26/2013, 10:24 PM

Notice he didn't say he's never blown anybody

SicEmBaylor
9/26/2013, 11:16 PM
800 million dollars of sales in the first day. :miserable:

wow.... just wow....
Still no PC version.
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/3-rage-face.png