PDA

View Full Version : The Andy Griffith Show

ouwasp
9/18/2013, 01:03 AM
What a classic that old show continues to be. During my school day, I have a short class period that is basically a study hall. This time is used to monitor and chart student's grades, do assorted activities, etc.

Well, Tuesday was Constitution Day. A student announced this over the intercom, and proceeded to read the Preamble. "We the People..."

This inspired me use YouTube to pull up the clip of Barney attempting to recite the Preamble from memory. My middle school kids loved it. But it only lasted about 3-4 minutes. As soon as it was over someone asked "Can we watch another one?"

Then came "Citizen's Arrest". Then "Nip it!". A good time was had by all.

I think The Andy Griffith Show gained some new fans...

Turd_Ferguson
9/18/2013, 01:22 AM
The younger generation needs more Andy Griffith's...

Soonerjeepman
9/18/2013, 08:24 AM
since I don't have cable...most of my viewing is MeTV or Antenna TV...has all the old classics...amazing how tame they were to today's stuff. There were innuendos but not as brash as today.

KantoSooner
9/18/2013, 08:52 AM
Watching early 1960's teevee is fascinating. You have some like Andy Griffith that were intelligent, gentle, almost 'communitarian' in outlook.
And then you had the hyper macho stuff in which fistfights broke out thrice in a half hour and women needed to be slapped to break them out of hysteria-driven feedback loops of blind terror.
One could draw an analysis that the entertainment reflected a nation at adolescence, wandering and wondering about its new role in a post-war world. Capable of seizing the Ginger of world leadership, but still yearning for the warmth and reassurance of the Maryanne of a hazily remembered bucolic childhood. And tragically unable to come to a comfortable decision before there were more indians (Vietnamese) to shoot.
From my monograph, "Mayberry to The Man With No Name: Andy Griffith and Clint Eastwood as American Archetypes" to be published in 2025.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/18/2013, 07:26 PM
I'm still sad Don Knotts left the show.

KantoSooner
9/19/2013, 08:35 AM
Well, he just didn't have time to do Mayberry AND those immortal talking fish movies. A man's gotta choose.

Flagstaffsooner
9/19/2013, 02:20 PM
Aunt Bea getting drunk and playing the piano with her fat *** bouncing on the bench is classic.

9/21/2013, 12:13 PM
I'm still sad Don Knotts left the show.

Amen. Without Barney, Mayberry turned to carp.

I blame Howard Sprague.

sooneron
9/21/2013, 03:34 PM
When Griffith passed recently, I watched some of the episodes on YT. They can still hold up today. Good tv can be timeless. It is rare that it's good tho.