PDA

View Full Version : View from the Stands..............on OU's QB's

85Sooner
9/16/2013, 04:40 PM
OK……..everybody is HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY…..for Blake Bell.
The” I told ya so’s” have had a couple of days to be broadcast.

I went to the game last Saturday and saw the victory over Tulsa 1-1 (not counting loss to OU).

Preface: I was really excited to see Trevor get the start, know he was having a few early game jitters. Evidently someone wasn’t happy with the passing game so I went back and watched the first two games. FIRST let me remind you that these games were NOT against TULSA. They were against teams that are 4-0 (not counting the losses to OU) THAT’S 4-0. I do not think many have really taken that into account.
In Review B. Bell is 30/43 for 451 yds (most of it RAC) and 55 yds rushing on 14 Carries
T . Knight is 21/48 for 205 yds and 145 yds rushing on 20 carries.
Yes, Trevor was a little shakey BUT also the plays being called were not with three or four wide outs, more were out of the pistol or with 1-2 wide outs.

I believe, the OC’s really only know the “passing” game. I don’t think they feel comfortable calling anything different than they have for the past 5 years.
While I suspect that Trevor would still be better going into the future, Blake Bell works better with the current OC’s coaching tendencies.

The Good thing is OU will win a lot of games… I believe that bad part will be that OU will not be any different than they have been over the past 5 years. Win the games they should and win < 50% of the games that are questionable.

The game on Saturday was great…..51 points……(of course, that was against Tulsa)1-1 and I congratulate Blake and the team…..but I was bored stiff. It wasn’t exciting…….. if its not exciting for the fans….it is going to get pretty stale for the players pretty quickly.

A lot will be determined at Notre Dame…….which I expect to be 24-21 Notre Dame……….OUT!

cherokeebrewer
9/16/2013, 04:54 PM
I enjoyed the win, bet the players did too. Blake Bell played great, Trevor must wait...

SoonerKnight
9/16/2013, 04:55 PM
Notre Dame looks like a pile my dog leaves every few hours. Notre Dame will not beat Michigan State who by the way has the #1 defense. Sure stats are skewed etc except Notre Dame already has one loss and guess what they gonna have #2 and #3 back to back cuz they are not very good this year. The D-line for thim is good. The secondary is not good at all their O-line is weak at best. Not convinced that they win against us in two weeks.

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 05:09 PM
Im just going to ENJOY the season. Dont care about the Poles, Dont care whos starts. DGAS about anything except a W each week we play.
As far as the game being boring, I have to agree. I left at 1/2 time and Listened to it on Radio .

cherokeebrewer
9/16/2013, 05:42 PM
It wasn't boring to me and it was great seeing all those freshmen getting playing time...we gonna be good someday!

Soonerwake
9/16/2013, 06:03 PM
Wow, I guess I should be used to this stuff from our fans by now, but wow...

So, scoring 51 points, over 600 yards, including several long plays is boring?? Players get bored running down the field with the ball in their hands?? 10 different receivers caught balls and that's boring?? Guys getting the ball on-time enabling some of those plays with YAC is boring??

Either you know absolutely nothing about football or you are Trevors cousin..

Geesh.....

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 06:11 PM
Wow, I guess I should be used to this stuff from our fans by now, but wow...

So, scoring 51 points, over 600 yards, including several long plays is boring?? Players get bored running down the field with the ball in their hands?? 10 different receivers caught balls and that's boring?? Guys getting the ball on-time enabling some of those plays with YAC is boring??

Either you know absolutely nothing about football or you are Trevors cousin..

Geesh.....

Not so much Bored as Just Tulsa was No Challenge IMHO.
Sides I had to go to my Grandbabydaughters 1st B-day Party

SoonerForLife92
9/16/2013, 06:22 PM
Soooo you guys would rather watch us sloppily beat a crappy wvu by 10 than see our players play great and smash a team that we should be good enough to smash, because it's less boring?

FaninAma
9/16/2013, 06:23 PM
Tulsa's offense is the reason they are not as good as they were last year. Their defense was allowing less than 330 yards a game prior to playing OU. Blake showed great touch on deep passes. He hit receivers in stride on seam routes and slants extremely well, had great pocket presence and made great decisions while in the pocket.

He may very well have a subpar game at Notre Dame but at this point he is head and shoulders above TK in terms of on the field presence and grasp of the offense. Nit-picking his performance is just silly.

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 06:27 PM
Soooo you guys would rather watch us sloppily beat a crappy wvu by 10 than see our players play great and smash a team that we should be good enough to smash, because it's less boring?

Nope, I want a 1/2 hundred on the OT by 1/2 so I can get my drank on and not yell and scream.

SoonerForLife92
9/16/2013, 06:37 PM
Nope, I want a 1/2 hundred on the OT by 1/2 so I can get my drank on and not yell and scream.

True that. But I still think it's a little ridiculous to refer to this game as boring. I was personally more entertained than our past 2 games

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 06:45 PM
True that. But I still think it's a little ridiculous to refer to this game as boring. I was personally more entertained than our past 2 games

Im so happy for you.

SoonerForLife92
9/16/2013, 07:19 PM
Im so happy for you.

Yeah it's nice not being tired by halftime and enjoying the team playing well all four quarters.

SoonerKnight
9/16/2013, 07:19 PM
It wasn't boring as much as it was what should have been!!!! And after 2 bad games it was nice.

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah it's nice not being tired by halftime and enjoying the team playing well all four quarters.

Im just shickled titless for you. I had to endure an 11 am game with out Natty cause of the Grandbabydaughters B-day party at 3. So I went all dayum day DRY. Go **** yerself I was BORED.:lemo:

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2013, 07:31 PM
Im just shickled titless for you. I had to endure an 11 am game with out Natty cause of the Grandbabydaughters B-day party at 3. So I went all dayum day DRY. Go **** yerself I was BORED.:lemo:

That's your own fault for a) spawning and b) living long enough for your spawn to spawn.

:cocksure:

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 07:37 PM
That's your own fault for a) spawning and b) living long enough for your spawn to spawn.

:cocksure:

Is kinda sad that Ive seen so many OU blow outs that an arsewhooping of an inferior team Just dont excite me aint it?

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2013, 07:37 PM
So 85sooner, are you just lamenting that Knight got injured? Or do you not believe he is really injured and Stoops is using that as an excuse to give him the hook w/o saying as much? My guess is that he is hurt more seriously than reported and might not even be available for ND, but that's just going on previous Stoops reports.

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 07:43 PM
So 85sooner, are you just lamenting that Knight got injured? Or do you not believe he is really injured and Stoops is using that as an excuse to give him the hook w/o saying as much? My guess is that he is hurt more seriously than reported and might not even be available for ND, but that's just going on previous Stoops reports.

I aint 85 But I firmly believe the Boy is injured. Just hope it aint serious. We may need all 3 of the QBs to get thru this season Undefeated:friendly_wink:

Jacie
9/16/2013, 07:45 PM
Am hoping to see OU get back one of those 9 losses (versus 1 win) against the domers.

The reason for my optimism this year, the ND defense is nothing like last year's version. The irish are giving up 10 more points and yielding 100 more yards per game to opposing offenses than in 2012. These stats are from games against Michigan, winless Temple and a 1-2 Purdue team.

Spartie is going to shred them this week.

Soonerus
9/16/2013, 08:55 PM
OU kicks the Irish, count on it...

8timechamps
9/16/2013, 09:22 PM
I believe, the OC’s really only know the “passing” game. I don’t think they feel comfortable calling anything different than they have for the past 5 years.
While I suspect that Trevor would still be better going into the future, Blake Bell works better with the current OC’s coaching tendencies.

I'm not sure how you arrived at this conclusion.

Just to refresh your memory: 429 & 435

That's the total offensive yards the Sooner amassed against ULM and WVU. I'm really struggling to see where the "they only really know the passing game" logic comes from. Anytime you can put up 400+ yards against an opponent, I'd say your doing something right as an OC.

The Good thing is OU will win a lot of games… I believe that bad part will be that OU will not be any different than they have been over the past 5 years. Win the games they should and win < 50% of the games that are questionable.

The Sooners win the first two games by pounding the ball on the ground. They win last Saturday by airing it out (and gaining over 100 yards on the ground). In all three games, the defense looks night and day from last year. Again, I'm struggling to understand your logic.

The game on Saturday was great…..51 points……(of course, that was against Tulsa)1-1 and I congratulate Blake and the team…..but I was bored stiff. It wasn't exciting…….. if its not exciting for the fans….it is going to get pretty stale for the players pretty quickly.

I'm completely lost now. Which part of the 51 points was boring? I'm not sure if you've played the game, but if you haven't, let me be the first to tell you that winning is always fun and never stale. Never.

A lot will be determined at Notre Dame…….which I expect to be 24-21 Notre Dame……….OUT!

I agree, we'll certainly know more after the ND game. But, I am curious, have you seen ND play this year? If so, what exactly is it about ND that make you think they can/will win this game? What about OU this year makes you think they will lose?

achiro
9/16/2013, 09:38 PM
8x put it pretty well. I honestly have no damn idea which team you've been watching.

CatfishSooner
9/16/2013, 09:59 PM
OK……..everybody is HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY…..for Blake Bell.
The” I told ya so’s” have had a couple of days to be broadcast.

I went to the game last Saturday and saw the victory over Tulsa 1-1 (not counting loss to OU).

Preface: I was really excited to see Trevor get the start, know he was having a few early game jitters. Evidently someone wasn’t happy with the passing game so I went back and watched the first two games. FIRST let me remind you that these games were NOT against TULSA. They were against teams that are 4-0 (not counting the losses to OU) THAT’S 4-0. I do not think many have really taken that into account.
In Review B. Bell is 30/43 for 451 yds (most of it RAC) and 55 yds rushing on 14 Carries
T . Knight is 21/48 for 205 yds and 145 yds rushing on 20 carries.
Yes, Trevor was a little shakey BUT also the plays being called were not with three or four wide outs, more were out of the pistol or with 1-2 wide outs.

The game on Saturday was great…..51 points……(of course, that was against Tulsa)1-1 and I congratulate Blake and the team…..but I was bored stiff. It wasn’t exciting…….. if its not exciting for the fans….it is going to get pretty stale for the players pretty quickly.

People will ALWAYS find something to bitch about... spoiled fans OU has

TrophyCollector
9/16/2013, 10:05 PM
If by bored, you mean not cussing because our QB was slinging short out routes 10 yards over receivers heads and into the stands, throwing one hoppers on swing and screen passes, throwing into double coverage and turning the ball over - then I agree it was boring.

85Sooner
9/16/2013, 10:43 PM

I am thinking two things.... I believe Bob believes that TK provides the best opportunity for being able to compete with the elite in the NCAA. I also believe based on what I have seen in the past 5 years.... that the OC and his assistants have become lax.... unimaginative and IMO predictable. Comeon folks..we have ben OU fans for years and even we can predict what is going to happen..THAT was not the case in the early Stoops years.Rememeber "river boat gambler bob"?
Blake Bell is a nice youngman and is talented but he fits in THEIR mold. IMO we do not have coaches that have the ability to adapt to a different scheme. Now I am talking seriously not frivolously like many (who I believe has driven this board into oblivion)....

The question is ..does Bob have the balls to turn the corner? I thought he did with the pick of TK but after seeing what the OC's offered the young man and then seeing what they offered BB...It is clear to me that the OC pick is B Bell...... and what Bob will see is more of the same that he has provided for the past five years......IMO to most teams..talent will win and we will win the games we are supposed to win..... On bowl games and games against any REAL talent outside our conference????????????????? OU is predictible as the sun coming up in the morning. HOW DO I KNOW????????????? Read the body language of the team. THEY are happy with THAT result.
No one has the hunger.... the vision.... the passion....

I remember when BS took over the job and was trying to recruit Heuple. He said "Heupel asked him IF he came to OU would he have a chance to win a national championship"? Bob said.." of course".......and later said " I think I convinced him we could when I really had no idea." THAT is the difference. OU football is on the edge of becoming Longhorn football. THAT is all on the coaching staff.They are fat and happy..... the question is...whether they are fat anf happy enough to ride out the program or whether the MD (major donors) are going to hold their feet to the fire enough to make the changes necessary to play SERIOUSLY with the elite in the NCAA. It is that simple.

Therealsouthsider
9/16/2013, 10:44 PM
The reason for my optimism this year, the ND defense is nothing like last year's version. The irish are giving up 10 more points and yielding 100 more yards per game to opposing offenses than in 2012. These stats are from games against Michigan, winless Temple and a 1-2 Purdue team.

...ND will play their best game of the year against OU and look like crap the rest of the season...I hate 'em

ss

85Sooner
9/16/2013, 10:48 PM
OK... live with 10-2 seasons and losing in bowl games HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY................

85Sooner
9/16/2013, 10:56 PM
8times champ...I respect you view... but you did not address the competition. IF you watched the games the play calling from the OC were clearly more leaning toward the run game when TK was in the game. When BB was is..they offered him a lot more opportunities. With 3-4 wideouts..that backs the D up. TK did not have that oportunity. He was stuck with trying to pass out of a running formation. That is not to mention that the recievers were in the same mindset and we saw several drops and fumbles.

You have been around awhile and KNOW that the ability to pound the ground and smashmouth the ball is IMPERITIVE to winning. ie: I choke when I say this.."the belldozer".................If you cannot run ..you cannot win the big ones..look at the stats of Tulsa at the end of the 3rd. Championship teams don't tire out.

When I say boring, I mean predictable..... and again..Tulsa may allow that ... they are 1-2 the other opponents TK was forced to pkay are 4-2 and the only two losses are the Sooners....

We agree on the ND results.

sooner46
9/16/2013, 11:10 PM
86Sooner I hope Blake Bell proves you wrong. I was ok with TK but he was not making the throws, one day he will. There was a big difference in the way both played the game. Yes, BB may fall on his face against ND but at this point I believe he has earned the right to start.

TrophyCollector
9/16/2013, 11:12 PM
Rememeber "river boat gambler bob"?

Yea, clearly having glove-handed Matt McCoy throwing 4th down passes to double covered Chris Chester is the key to the National Championship.

OkieThunderLion
9/16/2013, 11:16 PM
so I went back and watched the first two games. FIRST let me remind you that these games were NOT against TULSA. They were against teams that are 4-0 (not counting the losses to OU) THAT’S 4-0. I do not think many have really taken that into account.

Hard for me to think WVU or Monroe are any better than Tulsa right now.

I watched the WVU/William & Mary game. smh

OkieThunderLion
9/16/2013, 11:19 PM
Rememeber "river boat gambler bob"?

Sure do! Couple years ago, when the holder threw a perfect ball right into James Hanna's hands in College Station, and he dropped it.

OkieThunderLion
9/16/2013, 11:20 PM

Totally bizarre take.

TrophyCollector
9/16/2013, 11:21 PM
There was a big difference in the way both played the game.

There had not been this big of a difference in OU QB play since Josh took over from Pat Fletcher. Regardless of offensive scheme or the season record of the defense, an open out route is an open out route.

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2013, 12:11 AM
I am thinking two things.... I believe Bob believes that TK provides the best opportunity for being able to compete with the elite in the NCAA. I also believe based on what I have seen in the past 5 years.... that the OC and his assistants have become lax.... unimaginative and IMO predictable. Comeon folks..we have ben OU fans for years and even we can predict what is going to happen..THAT was not the case in the early Stoops years.Rememeber "river boat gambler bob"?
Blake Bell is a nice youngman and is talented but he fits in THEIR mold. IMO we do not have coaches that have the ability to adapt to a different scheme. Now I am talking seriously not frivolously like many (who I believe has driven this board into oblivion)....

The question is ..does Bob have the balls to turn the corner? I thought he did with the pick of TK but after seeing what the OC's offered the young man and then seeing what they offered BB...It is clear to me that the OC pick is B Bell...... and what Bob will see is more of the same that he has provided for the past five years......IMO to most teams..talent will win and we will win the games we are supposed to win..... On bowl games and games against any REAL talent outside our conference????????????????? OU is predictible as the sun coming up in the morning. HOW DO I KNOW????????????? Read the body language of the team. THEY are happy with THAT result.

I remember when BS took over the job and was trying to recruit Heuple. He said "Heupel asked him IF he came to OU would he have a chance to win a national championship"? Bob said.." of course".......and later said " I think I convinced him we could when I really had no idea." THAT is the difference. OU football is on the edge of becoming Longhorn football. THAT is all on the coaching staff.They are fat and happy..... the question is...whether they are fat anf happy enough to ride out the program or whether the MD (major donors) are going to hold their feet to the fire enough to make the changes necessary to play SERIOUSLY with the elite in the NCAA. It is that simple.

I guess I'm still not following. Do you think Stoops had any other choice than to play Bell last week? Both TK and KT were injured and I assume the true FR guy is not ready and they want to redshirt him. So it had to be Bell - do you agree? So are you now lamenting that Bell had a good game and thus we are doomed to have him remaining starter after the other guys heal?

Also, it's not too much of a surprise Heupel is more comfortable what we've been running than a read option. It could well be that we can't really make a transition to that (or any other scheme) unless we get a new OC. It could be a mistake to impose a system on an OC that doesn't believe in it (not saying he doesn't, I don't know).

It's rolling dice to extrapolate from 1 game, but I think Bell is enough different from LJ that it could make things interesting - at least for some of us :cocksure:. He is clearly mobile by LJ standards. He's not going to make anyone miss like TK could, but he can move around and extend a play and pick up a critical 1st down with his legs when needed. And as I posted in another thread, he is not afraid to make the tough throw in the redzone. That's a hump LJ just couldn't seem to get over. That was one of the reasons we were forced to go the Belldozer package in the first place.

Piware
9/17/2013, 12:30 AM
Maybe next year we can schedule Lamar.

King Barry's Back
9/17/2013, 04:07 AM
You say "The game Saturday...(made you) bored stiff. It wasn't exciting..."

I don't know. I was pretty excited. I agree with you that I think a great running team is more fun to watch than a near-great passsing team -- but I'll take big wins however they come.

You also state that you think the coaches just prefer to call passes than runs. My impression is that they were forced to run out of multi-back sets because Trevor is inexperienced and needed the confidence boost. They didn't want to put him out there with four wide outs and hold the game in his hands.

Remember that when Josh was leading the team to a National Championship, his offensive coordinator never called plays that he didn't believe that Josh was comfortable executing. I remember a report during one game, the OC put together a list of 4-5 plays and said, "Josh, are you comfortable with these?" Josh said, "Yes," so they tried to stay with those.

I think Josh is now doing the same thing with Trevor. (But the coaches can not say in a presser that "We limited our offencse cuz our QB isn't ready to open up the book.)

With BB, he's more experienced, far more confident and comfortable, and they turned the O wide open.

Get used to it. You're going to see a lot more Bell-Air ball.

King Barry's Back
9/17/2013, 04:08 AM
Im just going to ENJOY the season. Dont care about the Poles, Dont care whos starts. DGAS about anything except a W each week we play.

Agree with this.

stoopified
9/17/2013, 05:54 AM
Blowouts are never boring........unless it is the 90's and we are on the recieving end. The 90's or as I refer to it THE LOST DECADE still makes me ill.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/17/2013, 06:10 AM

Let me see now, Bell throws for 450, 4 yds, 0 int. Ground game picks up 194. We don't even remotely come close to a turnover. First team defense gives up only 7 pts. We go about 75% on 3rd down conversions. And this is right before we go into a bye week leading up to a huge road test at South Bend.

If that is what you call boring you need to turn in your "fan card" and start watching soccer.

swardboy
9/17/2013, 07:15 AM
King Barry's Back:

Get used to it. You're going to see a lot more Bell-Air ball.

Ooooo..."Bell-Air ball". I like it. Ay lie it a laht.

Let's take this Bellaire for a drive!

jkjsooner
9/17/2013, 08:58 AM
He is clearly mobile by LJ standards. He's not going to make anyone miss like TK could, but he can move around and extend a play and pick up a critical 1st down with his legs when needed. And as I posted in another thread, he is not afraid to make the tough throw in the redzone. That's a hump LJ just couldn't seem to get over. That was one of the reasons we were forced to go the Belldozer package in the first place.

This is what I don't get about the OP "analysis." Wasn't it like a week ago when the national media was convinced the Bell was only a running QB and Knight was the guy who could do both?

I know the national media was always wrong about that but Bell had proven that he can move the chains with his feet. Bell can also break tackles and extend plays. He's also pretty damn fast and if you don't believe me go watch the highlights of the Baylor game.

That first third down conversion run that Bell had last week was a thing of beauty. Most QB's (including Knight) would have been sacked on that play. Bell broke a couple of tackles and fought his way for the first down.

If you don't think Bell's speed, strength, running ability, and passing ability puts defenses in a very tough spot - especially on third and short - then you're not watching the same team as I am.

Notre Dame may shut Bell down. We don't know how the season is going to turn out. As of right now I see nothing that concerns me with Bell at QB.

swardboy
9/17/2013, 09:02 AM
Heck yeah! We've gone from a belldozer to a Bellaire! EMBRACE IT!!!

swardboy
9/17/2013, 09:06 AM
Picture a crimson '57 chevy bel air here....'cause I suck at posting images.

olevetonahill
9/17/2013, 09:18 AM

Aint werking Bro

thecrimsoncrusader
9/17/2013, 09:48 AM
Are there some people that really think that OU is going to revert back to throwing it 40 to 70 times a game like the past few seasons just because of the Tulsa game?

Tulsa begged OU to throw and it would have been stupid, no wait, absolute stupid for Oklahoma to utilize more of the QB run game with Bell in the Tulsa game with one QB out due to injury and another one just returning due to injury. There was nothing to be gained by doing this and Oklahoma had this game controlled from the start on both sides of the ball. And by all means, let's show Notre Dame what Blake Bell can do in all facets of the game! It would have been stupid.

Also, there was "some" negative talk about OU's defense. I find it odd that LA-Monroe and WVU stand a very good chance of having a better offense than Tulsa this season, yet OU could defend those offenses much better than what they did against Tulsa?

It didn't come down to Tulsa's personnel or them doing anything new, it came down to OU utilizing a read and react defense for this particular game. If a Lombardi Award watch list center couldn't handle Phillips even when he had double-team assistance and if WVU's double teams couldn't handle Phillips either, Tulsa's offensive line sure as hell can't handle Phillips.

Everything that happened in this game from a philosophical standpoint was deliberate by Oklahoma, not anything Tulsa dictated. Could OU have been more complex in their run game and could OU been a lot more aggressive and embarrassed Tulsa instead of just decisively beating them 51-20? Absolutely, but what would be gained from that? Have Coach Stoops run up the score on an outmatched in-state team that could have recruiting implications with some in-state high school coaches? Have OU show more than they need to before the big game coming up against Notre Dame? I just don't see the point.

achiro
9/17/2013, 09:53 AM
There is so much wrong with what 85 has said here that there is no way I'm going through it all but a few quick highlights.
1. Past O hasn't been bad whether you think they are vanilla or not. The encouraging thing is that you add a mobile QB to the mix and a halfway decent ability to run and it makes it a devastating O. I also have to wonder if the play calling for Tulsa wasnt set up more because there really wasn't a fully healthy backup and they were trying to play it safe a bit.
2. I don't care what offense you run, whether there is one receiver or 10, if the QB can't make the throws given the run better be working, fortunately for OU the first two weeks it was.
3. TK is going to be a heck of a QB, he just let the nerves get to him and never got it straightened out in two full games. Those were home games vs pretty easy competition, put him at ND, in that atmosphere, and I really worry.
4. I think it's funny that anyone outside the program thinks that they know why a coach makes a specific decision on any starting position like this.

8timechamps
9/17/2013, 04:39 PM
8times champ...I respect you view... but you did not address the competition. IF you watched the games the play calling from the OC were clearly more leaning toward the run game when TK was in the game. When BB was is..they offered him a lot more opportunities. With 3-4 wideouts..that backs the D up. TK did not have that oportunity. He was stuck with trying to pass out of a running formation. That is not to mention that the recievers were in the same mindset and we saw several drops and fumbles.

Okay, that's a fair assesment. However, I offer this as to the OC reasoning:

If you go back and watch all three games you'll notice that both ULM and WVU played an odd man front for the majority of the game. Those two teams also blitzed a TON (something Tulsa didn't do nearly as much). From that perspective, I'd say a run-heavy game was the right call. For Tulsa, it was pretty clear that they weren't going to "worry" as much about the pass, and really played to defend the run. My conclusion is that Huepel/Norvell saw this on film (then verified it on game day), and took the opportunity to throw the ball more.

Stoops won't admit it to the media, but the offense is different when Knight is in the game. If nothing else, he's a more elusive runner than Bell (and has more speed). I don't think the OCs ran one offense because of Knight and another because of Bell, but if I had Knight in the game, I would want to take advantage of his wheels.

Who knows if the Tulsa game plan was to throw the ball as much as they did? But, once Bell started to perform, you have to ride that wave. In the end, Bell looks more comfortable in the game. That's not a knock on Knight, Bell should look more comfortable, he's played in a lot of high pressure situations. Knight will get his time, I have no doubt. And the coaches saw the errors (that weren't his fault in the first two games). Right now, I just think Bell gives the team a better chance to win.

You have been around awhile and KNOW that the ability to pound the ground and smashmouth the ball is IMPERITIVE to winning. ie: I choke when I say this.."the belldozer".................If you cannot run ..you cannot win the big ones..look at the stats of Tulsa at the end of the 3rd. Championship teams don't tire out.

I think this team will surprise you. I think we have an offense that can adapt to what the defense gives them. Sure, the competition is going to get tougher, but I also think this team will continue to grow.

When I say boring, I mean predictable..... and again..Tulsa may allow that ... they are 1-2 the other opponents TK was forced to pkay are 4-2 and the only two losses are the Sooners....

I really wasn't even thinking about a title run this year, just too many unknowns and inexperience. I'm still in that frame of mind, but I do think OU can/should beat every team on the schedule.

Like I said at the top, TK will get his time. It's just not right now.

Nothing wrong with a little pessimism. Keeps the emotions in check.

C&CDean
9/17/2013, 05:47 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game Saturday, and think Bell did a nice job. What some of y'all are missing though is the number of passes he threw high. I just don't understand why he's not being crucified for it. Oh wait. It's because we won big.

Blake could play just as well and we lose or have a closer game than we should and it'd be "can you believe he threw 4 ****ing passes over Shepard's head that would have won the game for us. Blake Bell sucks." The one and only constant in this universe is OU fans whining/blaming/pointing fingers when things don't go peachy. Before this season is over, our players, our trainers, our coaches, our cheerleaders, our nutritionist, our strength trainer, and especially the Pride will be lambasted. Bank it.

cherokeebrewer
9/17/2013, 05:53 PM
Not Tiff, she's doin' a great job.

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2013, 06:01 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game Saturday, and think Bell did a nice job. What some of y'all are missing though is the number of passes he threw high. I just don't understand why he's not being crucified for it. Oh wait. It's because we won big.

Blake could play just as well and we lose or have a closer game than we should and it'd be "can you believe he threw 4 ****ing passes over Shepard's head that would have won the game for us. Blake Bell sucks." The one and only constant in this universe is OU fans whining/blaming/pointing fingers when things don't go peachy. Before this season is over, our players, our trainers, our coaches, our cheerleaders, our nutritionist, our strength trainer, and especially the Pride will be lambasted. Bank it.

I've already written my lamblast posts in all these areas, so I just have to copy&paste when the time comes.

cvsooner
9/17/2013, 06:08 PM
Sheesh. You'd think we were 0-3. Plus Knight is hurt, fer cryin' out loud, so it's kinda moot.

Knight played fairly well but his passing was not up to par. Bell clearly in the one game had more success passing. Some of that was on the receivers but Knight made some poor throws and is lucky he doesn't have a passel of interceptions. Bob would likely still go with him.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Knight hadn't tweaked his knee.

Bell had an opportunity and seems set to make the most of it. Good for him. Good for the team. Knight doesn't seem to have his nose bent out of joint over it and Bell didn't when Knight was playing. Seems to me like the very essence of team.

There's little wrong with the coaching staff or the team, from my view in the stands, and good for Bob to make the changes he needed to make. Otherwise we'd be looking like the disaster in Austin.

Now, if we can only upgrade the so-called fanbase, we'll be aces.

85Sooner
9/17/2013, 06:19 PM

TRUE.........and WHILE I am at it................. The beginning Pride intro HAS GOT TO RETURN TO THE OLD FORMAT....I was SO disappointed. I have a question I will ask in a new thread.

olevetonahill
9/17/2013, 06:41 PM
Is it OK to Fart in here?

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2013, 06:43 PM

What kind of Fart?

8timechamps
9/17/2013, 07:36 PM
What kind of Fart?

Exactly. We have to draw the line somewhere.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/17/2013, 07:47 PM

As long as its not a shart!

rock on sooner
9/17/2013, 08:18 PM

Depends on whut yew et....!

olevetonahill
9/17/2013, 08:24 PM
What kind of Fart?

Beans and cabbage.

jkjsooner
9/18/2013, 08:51 AM
What some of y'all are missing though is the number of passes he threw high. I just don't understand why he's not being crucified for it. Oh wait. It's because we won big.

Maybe some guys will be critical of high passes if we lose. For me, if Bell has the accuracy, composure, and toughness he had Saturday I'll never complain - win or lose.

Frankly, if he has the accuracy he had on Saturday, unless our receivers have a bad day, our offense is going to put up points.