PDA

View Full Version : Transhumanism ?

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 05:16 AM
Good or bad for the Human Race?
Discuss.

Jacie
9/16/2013, 07:49 AM
Without getting into the argument over what exactly defines a species in the general sense that most think of one, most species are (geologically) short-lived. Sharks evolved 400 million years ago and the fossils we find look very much like modern sharks, but could a paleo shark reproduce with a modern one?

Since modern humans evolved over 200,000 years ago, we are well within the time frame of when most species go extinct.

I guess I am in the camp of evolve or cease to exist.

KantoSooner
9/16/2013, 08:03 AM
If by that term you mean is it good or bad for humans to change over time, then I think it must be considered good. Just think, the lifelong ability to drink milk has only evolved in the last 10,000 years or so. LIkewise, the ability to regularly consume alcohol evolved at about the same time.
Both more or less coincident with the rise of herding and grain cultivation. Hmmmmm.

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 04:06 PM
If by that term you mean is it good or bad for humans to change over time, then I think it must be considered good. Just think, the lifelong ability to drink milk has only evolved in the last 10,000 years or so. LIkewise, the ability to regularly consume alcohol evolved at about the same time.
Both more or less coincident with the rise of herding and grain cultivation. Hmmmmm.

Not so much the "over Time" but more about using technology to speed it up.

fadada1
9/16/2013, 04:32 PM
Just think, the lifelong ability to drink milk has only evolved in the last 10,000 years or so.

"Tommy, what have you been reading?"

KantoSooner
9/16/2013, 04:33 PM
Not sure if you're talking more cyborg (and the argument could be made that many of us already are: glasses, artificial knees, etc) or more genetic engineering. The latter is more interesting and you could say that vaccines are a crude step in that direction.
I'm thinking that, like most other things, if it offers an advantage in some way, people will do it as soon as it's available.

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 04:43 PM
Not sure if you're talking more cyborg (and the argument could be made that many of us already are: glasses, artificial knees, etc) or more genetic engineering. The latter is more interesting and you could say that vaccines are a crude step in that direction.
I'm thinking that, like most other things, if it offers an advantage in some way, people will do it as soon as it's available.

The genetic, One big Prob I see is the Rich will have the inside track.
Yet another this earth can only sustain X # of people, when do we reach the point of no return on Over population?

Turd_Ferguson
9/16/2013, 05:29 PM

A book about "Z Germanz"...

KantoSooner
9/17/2013, 08:48 AM

It all started when I was looking into yeast cell production of alcohol oxydase, wondering if a small fermenter could produce commercial volumes for the laboratory market. That led to an article on the rise of the enzyme in humans about 12,000 years BCE (seemingly in Turkey) and the coincidence of this with the invention of beer....
etc.
But I got bored and went back to rereading Conan The Barbarian.

Jacie
9/17/2013, 09:21 AM
Kanto, you of all people should know this, there are no coincidences . . .

KantoSooner
9/17/2013, 10:39 AM
Well, none that are random.

Excepting, of course, the disasterous inclusion of avocadoes in a 'trash can' fruit punch my roomies put together one Saturday in college. Three days of harsh drinking could be said to have 'caused' that, but it would be a mighty stretch to find any sort of design or goal in that mission. Nope, that one was truly a coincidence. (and don't try that at home: a good 1/2" of sediment at the bottom of the glass and an oily slick on top. Probably pretty good nutrition, though.)