PDA

View Full Version : Defense versus Tulsa

8timechamps
9/14/2013, 08:21 PM
I've seen a few posts talking about how the defense didn't look so great today, especially in the last part of the fourth quarter.

There's a few things to note about that:

1. Our best defensive player didn't play today.
2. A lot of young guys got into the action early.
3. Injuries -or- being cautious.

1. Obviously, Colvin wasn't on the field today. Whether it's Tulsa or Baylor, taking away half of the field is a major deal. Without Colvin, that's gone. Although, I thought Stanvon Taylor did a good job for a kid that was playing high school ball this time a year ago. He's going to be a solid CB, but clearly needs more time in the program to be close to the level of Colvin.

2. I can't remember a game when OU played so many young guys, or 2nd teamers on defense, so much of the game. Matt Dimon, Dominique Alexander, Hatari Byrd, Cortez Johnson, Jordan Wade and Stanvon Taylor played a lot of meaningful snaps today. A lot. These guys are all going to be very good players for OU eventually, but right now they are inexperienced freshman or guys that haven't seen much playing time. There were several third down plays that Tulsa converted because a guy was out of position, or misread the receivers route/didn't fill their gap. That stuff happens, and you want it to happen in a game like this. Mike is putting money in the back with these guys that will pay dividends later in the season.

3. After listening to Stoops after the game, it was clear they were taking a very cautious approach to this game (as it related to personnel). Lynn could have re-entered the game, but the coaches wanted Byrd to get some action. Colvin could have played (if needed), but why risk it? While it affects the overall defensive performance, it's great to have a chance to get these guys in, and get them adjusted to real game conditions. The bonus in this game was that they didn't just play in garbage time, they went against the Tulsa starting offense for most of the day.

I left off the rotation along the defensive line, but that was also a big change from the past two games. Jordan Wade saw a lot more action today (as did Matt Dimon), which kept our best defensive linemen on the bench for a fair amount of the game. I've notice the biggest difference when Phillips is out of the game (especially for run-stopping). Our biggest concern going into this year was that position, and he's played lights out so far. There is a noticeable step down when he comes out of the game.

After this bye week, it could be a while before some of these guys see the field again (for meaningful snaps), so the coaches took full advantage of this game. Sure, it cost some "beauty points", but the experience they got today was well worth it.

At the end of the day, the defense gave up 321 total yards. and less that 100 of those were rushing yards. All in all, a pretty damn good outing.

agoo758
9/14/2013, 08:25 PM
Not to mention two goal line stands!

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2013, 08:36 PM
I didn't think we played bad on D today. Had a couple brain farts and Tulsa had a couple of nice plays where our defense was perfect. It happens. It especially happens when we have a big lead.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2013, 11:02 PM
Tulsa definitely played better on offense than either of the 2 previous foes. If they didn't have Watts, their stats would have been much worse (and I can't help routing for Watts a bit). Not having Colvin was obvious. I think all those snaps for the young guys will pay dividends as the season progresses. Still looks much more solid than last year.

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 11:05 PM
How did Dimon look? I saw him play in HS and thought he was good (obviously) but wasn't wowed. But yet he's playing as a true frosh!

thecrimsoncrusader
9/14/2013, 11:12 PM
I just got done watching the game again. For the most part, the Sooner defensive line was in a read and react mode from the start. It very much appeared to be by design and OU didn't need to get fancy in this game on either side of the ball because OU had this game handled from the get go.

Phillips already destroyed a Lombardi watch list center in the LA-Monroe game and destroyed double-teams in the WVU game. Tulsa doesn't have a better offensve line than either of those two teams, especially this season. I wasn't overly happy with the defensive performance, but OU was a lot more responsible for it than anything Tulsa did.

Mike Stoops did say in the press conference, that the defense was lethargic in their practice this past week, so the defense might have been beating their chest a bit after the first two things and not coming out to play ball today. They won't have this problem against Notre Dame, we will just have to hope it will be enough. I think it will be.

CatfishSooner
9/14/2013, 11:21 PM
D looked pretty good...

That 4th and 15 conversion really pissed me off...

OkieThunderLion
9/14/2013, 11:22 PM
Defense looked shaky. But w/o the glue to the secondary (Colvin/Lynn), not surprising.

Need to get some pass rush though. Nonexistent.

Mazeppa
9/14/2013, 11:30 PM
Anybody looking for perfect defense might want to try another sport. It don't happen in football! At any level.

En_Fuego
9/14/2013, 11:35 PM
Defense looked shaky. But w/o the glue to the secondary (Colvin/Lynn), not surprising.

How dare you give your honest opinion on this board. :pop:

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2013, 12:01 AM

What a difference a year makes. What are the odds a statement like this regarding Lynn would appear on this board last season? :cocksure:

PalmBeachSooner
9/15/2013, 03:17 PM
I know he is young but Hatari looked lost. I know he is going to be a beast but he didn't play that well yesterday.

8timechamps
9/15/2013, 09:20 PM
I know he is young but Hatari looked lost. I know he is going to be a beast but he didn't play that well yesterday.

Yeah, he was clearly thinking too much. That'll pass in time, but he looked to caught up in the scheme, and didn't really look to be just playing.

8timechamps
9/15/2013, 09:21 PM
How did Dimon look? I saw him play in HS and thought he was good (obviously) but wasn't wowed. But yet he's playing as a true frosh!

He looked like a freshman.

He's a strong kid, and I think he'll grow to be a solid player along the line. The more he played, the more he looked comfortable.

Curly Bill
9/15/2013, 09:31 PM
He looked like a freshman.

He's a strong kid, and I think he'll grow to be a solid player along the line. The more he played, the more he looked comfortable.

Does he end up a DT down the line?

MyT Oklahoma
9/15/2013, 09:33 PM
I really liked the fact no one ran 70 some yards for a TD this week. That always brightens my day when that doesn't happen.

JiminyChristmas
9/15/2013, 09:49 PM
A couple of observations:

1) Tulsa played well on offense, give them some credit. They were 100 times better than they were in game one against Bowling Green. Blankenship and his coaches may very well be on their way to their best coaching job yet this year. Best offensive team we've played yet.

2) Stoops pointed out they did not have a good week of practice. I don't think Tulsa had their full attention. You could tell the excitement level wasn't quite what it had been the first two weeks and that is kind of understandable. Game one was the first one and everybody is excited to play. Game two was a "revenge" game for being embarrassed last year (and conference). This one didn't have anything to really light the fire. Won't be a problem with ND.

3) Injuries, mainly Colvin then Lynn, did lead to some plays with guys out of position. New guys getting their first real taste, but talented guys to be excited about.

4) I believe the D played pretty basic, not too many exotic calls or coverages. Partly the opponent, the new guys, and gamesmanship for ND. We played a lot more 3-4 against Tulsa than we did the first two weeks. ND will have to prepare for both the 3-4 and the 3-3-5.

I expect the D to have their best game so far at ND. The domers will score less than 20. Don't forget, a better ND offense and weaker OU defense had them at 13 in the 4th quarter last year.

Widescreen
9/15/2013, 09:51 PM
I really liked the fact no one ran 70 some yards for a TD this week. That always brightens my day when that doesn't happen.
They chose to do that via punt return this time. Although it wasn't a TD.

MyT Oklahoma
9/15/2013, 09:54 PM
They chose to do that via punt return this time. Although it wasn't a TD.

And our special team dropped the ball on that play, not our defense.

Therealsouthsider
9/15/2013, 09:56 PM
Not to mention two goal line stands!

...I thought redzone defense was pretty stout as well...still helping the other team with penalties and an occasional bust, but overall speed is helping to minimize catastrophic results

ss

SoonerMarkVA
9/15/2013, 09:59 PM
The main disappointment with the D for me was the number of 3rd downs TU converted. Overall, we seemed pretty stout, but those money downs really added up.

8timechamps
9/15/2013, 10:07 PM
Does he end up a DT down the line?

Hard to say. I could definitely see him inside, he just seems to have that look about him. Like I said, he's a strong kid. But, he's supposedly pretty quick for a guy of his size, so who knows.

cleller
9/16/2013, 08:49 AM
Cody Green has been spotty this year, but is a very experienced QB, who has a good third down weapon, Watts.

The D has taken an interesting turn now that Mike is in his second season back. Not trying to restart the Mike v Brent thing, exactly, notice how many new names are out there this year, and playing aggressively? Guys seem to know their position, and are cutting loose. A few true freshman like Stanvon Taylor showing up often in plays.