PDA

View Full Version : Spencer calls out bob and staff on CBS pregame

Blue
9/14/2013, 02:35 PM
Said the staff lacks creativity. I like it that our staff will always be held accountable. I hope we are on the right track after today.

MyT Oklahoma
9/14/2013, 02:39 PM
Spencer who? :black_eyed:

agoo758
9/14/2013, 02:40 PM
Not the most incorrect statement in the world.

Sooner02
9/14/2013, 03:50 PM
I agree with him. Go back and watch some of those teams in the early 2000's. We had a lot more creativity and elements of surprise.

agoo758
9/14/2013, 04:06 PM
Our lack of creativity cost us the 07, 08 championship, a handful of games in 09, and a run at the NC in 2010. Hopefully things will change with Bell.

jiminy
9/14/2013, 04:41 PM
Ninja formation, shovel pass, smoke draw... what happened to those?

SoonerorLater
9/14/2013, 04:44 PM
Ninja formation, shovel pass, smoke draw... what happened to those?

Mike Leach was hire by Texas Tech and his legacy faded.

Collier11
9/14/2013, 04:45 PM
Like I said earlier in a convo, the best team in the world just scored a wide open touchdown on a trick play. Not saying we need to run a bunch of trick plays but Stoops always says when you are good you don't need to deviate from your offense. Well ya, part of football sometimes is tricking the other team. Whether that be a different play than you would normally run or a trick play, sometimes you need to go that route

Tulsa_Fireman
9/14/2013, 04:56 PM
As much as Spencer Tillman brings back memories of joy and as much as I like him as a commentator, Heupel mixed it up a little bit today. Nothing too crazy, but they ran a couple of neat little jet sweeps and even worked a couple of reverses in. Nothing earthshattering, but hey, it's something.

Scott D
9/14/2013, 07:41 PM
The true question is how expansive their Pistol offense package is. Odds lean toward them introducing a new wrinkle or two every week based on being able to practice them. Logic says that there likely aren't any new wrinkles or they'll take at least a month of development before we'll see them in a game. I tend to lean toward the reality being somewhere in between.

SoonerForLife92
9/14/2013, 07:47 PM
All I know is.. We better mix it up against ND's D.

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 07:54 PM
I don't particularly disagree with his assessment.

fadada1
9/14/2013, 08:21 PM
I'd take bama's "creativity" any day of the week. I'm sure most of you watch them stomp ND last year. I'd be surprised to see if they made it past the third page of their play book.

Trick plays are fun, but I'll take execution.

8timechamps
9/14/2013, 08:29 PM
I'd take bama's "creativity" any day of the week. I'm sure most of you watch them stomp ND last year. I'd be surprised to see if they made it past the third page of their play book.

Trick plays are fun, but I'll take execution.

Yep.

Not to mention we're 3-0 with our unimaginative offense so far this season. I don't care if they run an iso on every play, as long as there's a "W" after the game.

I love Spencer, and I really do appreciate his consistent monitoring of the program. I think he is a guy that Stoops will/would listen to, and that's usually not a bad thing. But, with a 3-0 start (2-0 before the game), maybe he's a little premature with his comments.

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 09:04 PM
Yep.

Not to mention we're 3-0 with our unimaginative offense so far this season. I don't care if they run an iso on every play, as long as there's a "W" after the game.

I love Spencer, and I really do appreciate his consistent monitoring of the program. I think he is a guy that Stoops will/would listen to, and that's usually not a bad thing. But, with a 3-0 start (2-0 before the game), maybe he's a little premature with his comments.

Love the iso! But sometimes when plain ol "execution" ain't getting it done, it's nice to have a little something extra to throw at a team. Pride be damned!

swardboy
9/14/2013, 09:40 PM
I was glad to see them test drive that FORD today.

Pricetag
9/15/2013, 12:23 AM
Did anyone listen to Spencer at halftime of the Alabama-A&M game today? I couldn't believe how he was pumping the Aggies. If you believed him and the rest of the guys, Bama's only success came from A&M shooting themselves in the foot. They replayed the flea flicker and seemed to imply that all the success the Tide had was from tricks. Then they showed Manziel's incredible escape followed by the incredibly stupid punt-pass and tried to say that Manziel knows he has receivers who can make those plays, so it's all good. Had I not watched the first half myself, I would have thought A&M were up by two touchdowns instead of down.

Soonerfan88
9/15/2013, 09:46 PM
Tillman's issues with Bob and how correct/legitimate they are need to be separated from the discussion of the rant yesterday. How many of you saw it? It was completely out of left field with only an extremely stretched context to the conversation and confused his fellow broadcasters. They were talking about Mack Brown's situation and the UT guy gave his take as an alum. Spencer then chimes in that since they are talking about alma maters... and goes on his rant. Paraphrasing, he said Stoops is on the hot seat, team has been on the decline for a decade and still stagnant. One of other announcers asked if he'd seen/heard anything about game today and that we'd hung half a hundred on Tulsa. Overall, it was really out of place and not a true picture of where OU stands today.

aurorasooner
9/15/2013, 10:03 PM
Tillman's issues with Bob and how correct/legitimate they are need to be separated from the discussion of the rant yesterday. How many of you saw it? It was completely out of left field with only an extremely stretched context to the conversation and confused his fellow broadcasters. They were talking about Mack Brown's situation and the UT guy gave his take as an alum. Spencer then chimes in that since they are talking about alma maters... and goes on his rant. Paraphrasing, he said Stoops is on the hot seat, team has been on the decline for a decade and still stagnant. One of other announcers asked if he'd seen/heard anything about game today and that we'd hung half a hundred on Tulsa. Overall, it was really out of place and not a true picture of where OU stands today. I saw it live, and I had the same deduction as you, that Spencer was out of line with his comments at that particular time.
I do agree with him though that we have no play-calling "creativity" on offense with Heupel and not good creative running play design (if that's what he meant). Love Heupel as a former player and QB coach but as a top-notch OC who earns a mid 6 figure salary, I just don't think he's cutting it. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

King Crimson
9/15/2013, 10:08 PM
i have always liked Spencer a lot...as a player, broadcaster....but i don't see Stoops anywhere near a hot seat. i do have some issues with Heupel as OC but he deserves a shot to make this his own after the Landry years.

we'll see when we play a legit front 7 but run game is better than in many years...seems.

Therealsouthsider
9/15/2013, 10:10 PM
...I'd like to see us 'trick' some defenses with a little TE action and some underneath routes for Millard...not exactly Starwars but effective

ss