PDA

View Full Version : I formally Apologize to Blake Bell He DOES have IT

olevetonahill
9/14/2013, 12:58 PM
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww276/tbattitori/EatingCrow1.jpg

dennis580
9/14/2013, 01:09 PM
We now have a chance to have a really, really great season something we did not have a chance to have with Knight.Certainly can have a good shot at a conference championship. Too early to talk about National Championship.

jk the sooner fan
9/14/2013, 01:31 PM

solid post!!!

i dont think any of us really knew one way or the other - but the surprise today has been a great one!

okiewaker
9/14/2013, 01:41 PM
I think I gotta do the same Vet. Hell,,I got ate up by thinking Knigjt was gonna be sumptim special,,,maybe he will be but Bell is playing well.

King Crimson
9/14/2013, 01:41 PM
i am happy for Blake's success but this is a team that got waxed by Bowling Green. I like TU for the most part and hard not to pull for JC's kid a little (not 77 yard punt return pulling....but some)....

but BB looks good. deep ball is a little scattered. we look like we've lost interest a bit the last 5-6 minutes of game time.

dennis580
9/14/2013, 01:44 PM
I think I gotta do the same Vet. Hell,,I got ate up by thinking Knigjt was gonna be sumptim special,,,maybe he will be but Bell is playing well. I was the other way around I thought Bell would be something special. Heck everybody thought Bell would start he was even on magazine covers, and made the maxwell watch list(or whatever that award is) without even starting a game

En_Fuego
9/14/2013, 01:51 PM
BB is playing great. I was glad the coaches picked Knight to start, but after today Blake has me doing a complete 180. The kid is a gamer for sure.

It's the defense i owe an apology to. I thought they were solid, but I guess I was wrong. I feel like we have a chance every game on offense, but defense not so much. I hope the D has their sh!t together in 2 weeks.

En_Fuego
9/14/2013, 01:55 PM
Look at that kids numbers......... Those are Bradford type att.com.yards.td.

SoonerKnight
9/14/2013, 01:56 PM
BB is playing great. I was glad the coaches picked Knight to start, but after today Blake has me doing a complete 180. The kid is a gamer for sure.

It's the defense i owe an apology to. I thought they were solid, but I guess I was wrong. I feel like we have a chance every game on offense, but defense not so much. I hope the D has their sh!t together in 2 weeks.

Now that is a really stupid statement about the D!!!

En_Fuego
9/14/2013, 01:58 PM
Now that is a really stupid statement about the D!!!

Uh, ok... They haven't missed a tackle yet have they ?

SCSoonerfan
9/14/2013, 02:26 PM
Im cautiously optimistic. Yes BB had a fantastic day against Tulsa and hopefully gained a ton of confidence. I do however, reserve judgement until he faces a little more difficult competition.

SoonerMarkVA
9/14/2013, 02:29 PM

+1

Nothing less, and nothing more, than need be said.

SoonerorLater
9/14/2013, 02:40 PM
Beyond the gaudy stats he had today the thing that impressed me the most was his poise and pretty much mistake free football. He just never looked rattled even when TU was able to apply pressure.

Blue
9/14/2013, 02:47 PM

D has been awesome all year. We had a few key injuries today but still played well.

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2013, 02:52 PM
Just wait until he plays against some actual competition. #whateveryonehassaidaboutpettyforthelasttwoweeks

En_Fuego
9/14/2013, 02:54 PM
D has been awesome all year. We had a few key injuries today but still played well.

Okay, I agree, the D played very well overall today. It just gets on my nerves about the not wrapping up bump tackles. But you see this with most teams anymore. We're 3-0 headed to ND. Boomer Sooner

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/14/2013, 03:57 PM
I am waiting for the guy who said that the team did not play differently when BB was in to chime in.

BB has the intangibles and the skills! Knew it all along!

Temujin
9/14/2013, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't say that I thought he would do so well passing, but after watching him execute against WV after Knight went out, I was optimistic about this game. He just seemed to be more decisive. But I doubt anyone really anticipated this passing effort.

My only worry going forward is that we seemed to abandon the run a little. Maybe it was to get Bell in rhythm before ND, but I have to say that was enjoying the way we were overpowering defenses with the run the first 2 games. Just gave me a little nostalgic feeling.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2013, 06:53 PM
I am waiting for the guy who said that the team did not play differently when BB was in to chime in.

BB has the intangibles and the skills! Knew it all along!

I think the team would have performed just as well for Knight if Knight had played at this level. But if Knight had been in there, it would have been another poor passing day. Bell saw the same plays as Knight and was throwing to the same guys - he was just making the throws.

SoCalBigRed
9/14/2013, 06:53 PM
I'll join you in a serving of that crow.

I was scared going into this season if the BB we've seen backing up Landry, was to be OUr starter. While, he was effective at his role, we 1) never really saw his arm and 2) his happy feet, when taking any sort of 1 step or more back... his feet were just too jittery.

I felt a little better when I saw video of him, coming into this season and he looked a lot more comfortable with his size and the position. He seemed like a lumbering hulk, last season.

I've always loved his leadership and passion. The guy is a gamer, no doubt. But, doom and gloom I predicted if he was starter.

Him being beat out for the job, didn't inspire any confidence. But wow... when given the chance, he came up huge! He came out from the beginning, looking like the job belonged to and had always been his. Heck, it looked like his 3rd start of the year. Bye week, more reps... we haven't shown much of anything from either defense/offense (packages/combos). We should see even more in South Bend. I just hope the football gods sit on OUr side for once, in this matchup.

BB earned his shot to lead the team up there, however.

Props to Josh calling a great gamelan for BB, also. I was getting worried, there to.

Oh yeah, now the question becomes "if BB is this good... how good must be the freshman that gave him a run for his money?", instead of... "how bad is Blake?"

EDIT: The defense played great. Other than the gift, they were given... most of their points came against a bunch of 2nd stringers. They pointed it out, on the telecast to.

SoonerKnight
9/14/2013, 06:58 PM

Stoops rotated the second string. So, yeah!!!

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 06:58 PM
I didn't know how Bell would do today, though there was little question he'd do better than TK has done. And, it is concerning that this coaching staff saw something that made them think otherwise going into the season.

SoonerKnight
9/14/2013, 07:03 PM
I didn't know how Bell would do today, though there was little question he'd do better than TK has done. And, it is concerning that this coaching staff saw something that made them think otherwise going into the season.

I watched Bell's pressed and he admitted he is better in games then practice! He admitted he would rather play the game than practice. So, it is not surprising at all really! Obviously Bell thought he had it in the bag and the young guy gave him a run for his money!

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 07:07 PM
I watched Bell's pressed and he admitted he is better in games then practice! He admitted he would rather play the game than practice. So, it is not surprising at all really! Obviously Bell thought he had it in the bag and the young guy gave him a run for his money!

It is surprising. Last I checked they keep score in the games and that's what our record is based on, not on our practices. Unless BB was just dogging it in practice, it is a problem that we were starting a guy that was woefully not ready for the bright lights.

Temujin
9/14/2013, 07:08 PM
I think the team would have performed just as well for Knight if Knight had played at this level. But if Knight had been in there, it would have been another poor passing day. Bell saw the same plays as Knight and was throwing to the same guys - he was just making the throws.

Which makes just about everyone wonder what the coaches saw during practice. I'm glad Bell is starting and he looks to have great energy and great command of the offense...more than anyone expected.

One guess? Sam Bradford vs. Landry Jones, Heupel vs. Hybl, and now Bell vs. Knight. Landry had every bit as much talent as Sam from a physical perspective, but the problem was that he made frequent bad decisions, especially when under pressure. Hybl was, by all rights, MORE talented than Heupel physically, but Heupel was a better decision maker and leader. Of course, Hybl probably wouldn't have played had White been healthy...but just making a comparison. Anyway, maybe Bell is just a better player come game-time than Knight.

Another guess? Some of the throws that TK made were brilliant (when he wasn't overthrowing the short routes). But he just seemed nervous and indecisive. I think that plays into what we saw between Bell and Knight. My hope is that Knight's deficiencies now are just a product of his inexperience. Even though Bell hasn't done a lot of passing, he's been on the field and has had 2 full years of learning the offense. That could be the difference.

Either way, I think we're in good hands for the next 2 years, barring injury.

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 07:09 PM
In other news Wake Forest lost to ULM today 19-21

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 07:11 PM

It is surprising. Last I checked they keep score in the games and that's what our record is based on, not on our practices. Unless BB was just dogging it in practice, it is a problem that we were starting a guy that was woefully not ready for the bright lights.

You sure you were a coach?

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2013, 07:11 PM

I'm sure Knight was making all those easy throws in practice or I can't imagine why he would be named starter. It has to be that he gets too wound up in the game and doesn't do what he has done in practice. I'm sure he would have had more rushing yards than Bell in this game had he played and maybe the coaches put more weight on that.

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2013, 07:12 PM
let's not get crazy. What I was most happy about today is that he didn't make any stupid mistakes. My grandmother could shred Tulsa and he was pretty much hitting his first read all night. However, when he did have to go through his progressions, he did so and didn't make dumb moves. It is impossible to complain about his performance tonight, which is a great thing in itself, but I'll be sold if he plays that way against Texas and Poke State... and ND

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 07:13 PM

Yeah, and I actually got paid for it! ;)

Practice is important, but if given a choice I'd rather win an actual game than winning practice. But then some people care more about the process than the end result. I think Stoops somewhat leans that way.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2013, 07:26 PM
let's not get crazy. What I was most happy about today is that he didn't make any stupid mistakes. My grandmother could shred Tulsa and he was pretty much hitting his first read all night. However, when he did have to go through his progressions, he did so and didn't make dumb moves. It is impossible to complain about his performance tonight, which is a great thing in itself, but I'll be sold if he plays that way against Texas and Poke State... and ND

Your grandmother could have shreded ULM and WVU too. TK just isn't ready yet. BTW, why isn't your grandmother on the depth chart? Run out of eligibility?

cleller
9/14/2013, 07:32 PM
At any rate, Bell seems to be competent, talented, a leader, a strong arm, and NOT a liability.

On with the season!

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 07:58 PM

Yeah, and I actually got paid for it! ;)

Practice is important, but if given a choice I'd rather win an actual game than winning practice. But then some people care more about the process than the end result. I think Stoops somewhat leans that way.

So what you're saying is you would just start whom you thought that have u the best chance to win? Right?

What if u had one player out performing in practice before the season?

And I didnt know they paid pop Warner coaches! Lol

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 08:09 PM
So what you're saying is you would just start whom you thought that have u the best chance to win? Right?

Like I've said when you come on here acting like Mr. Football because you played at some Podunk JC, and you get to volunteer coach at some JH or something - I'd wager my resume on that account substantially dwarfs yours. But that being said, and most assuredly being the case, I know you have to start somewhere and if you don't have game results from either particular player than obviously you have to go on what you've seen in practice. But yeah, ultimately I've always cared a whole lot more about the results of the games, you know where they actually keep score & stuff, then I have about practice results, but hey...maybe that's just me?

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2013, 08:44 PM
Your grandmother could have shreded ULM and WVU too. TK just isn't ready yet. BTW, why isn't your grandmother on the depth chart? Run out of eligibility?

lol. She's been out of eligibility since she croaked a few years back. And besides that, she was a Poke. But my point was I wasn't so impressed with what Blake did today as I was with what he didn't do (dumb throws). He does deserve kudos for throwing accurately, though, and I do think the kid has starting QB swag, which is what we need. He might end up playing like a first year starting QB, but how the team responds to his presence is more important. They respond to him.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/14/2013, 09:18 PM
I was the other way around I thought Bell would be something special. Heck everybody thought Bell would start he was even on magazine covers, and made the maxwell watch list(or whatever that award is) without even starting a gameHoping for the same...but, he does look PRETTY good, and he does seem to be a leader. I'll award him a personal Heisman or Cert. of Achievement or something if he can beat the domer in 2 weeks.

achiro
9/14/2013, 09:34 PM
I asked this few weeks ago but still wonder the answer. Who would have gotten more snaps last year? Bell running backup and belldozer packages or Knight running scout team? stuff?

One4OU
9/14/2013, 09:44 PM
Worst mistake a coach can make:

Not using real game time play to make an evaluation. Some

One4OU
9/14/2013, 09:45 PM

Not using real game time play to make an evaluation. Some players are gamers.
They just know how to make it happen. There is another player that needs
more evaluation during games than practices.

CatfishSooner
9/14/2013, 09:59 PM
bell played a helluva game!

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 10:00 PM

Like I've said when you come on here acting like Mr. Football because you played at some Podunk JC, and you get to volunteer coach at some JH or something - I'd wager my resume on that account substantially dwarfs yours. But that being said, and most assuredly being the case, I know you have to start somewhere and if you don't have game results from either particular player than obviously you have to go on what you've seen in practice. But yeah, ultimately I've always cared a whole lot more about the results of the games, you know where they actually keep score & stuff, then I have about practice results, but hey...maybe that's just me?

Dude, you're comments alone suggests you don't know **** about football. That much ill he honest with you about.

As far as resumes, no need to be in a pissing contest with the board downer!

Your comments speak volumes. And the years you've been here you've never once broke down anything. The only thing you've done is ridicule our team, from coaches to players.

Then your dumbass wants to say it should have been bell from the beginning without any knowledge of practices or anything else. Yet you would have started him just because. You fail to understand there was an open race and that TK was obviously the one the coaches felt that would give the team a better chance to win.

It's easy to sit on your fatass and arm chair quarterback everything.

Yeah, it's probably a good damn thing you don't coach football anymore.

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 10:13 PM
Dude, you're comments alone suggests you don't know **** about football. That much ill he honest with you about.

Your comments speak volumes. And the years you've been here you've never once broke down anything. The only thing you've done is ridicule our team, from coaches to players.

Then your dumbass wants to say it should have been bell from the beginning without any knowledge of practices or anything else. Yet you would have started him just because. You fail to understand there was an open race and that TK was obviously the one the coaches felt that would give the team a better chance to win.

LOL...someone got their feelers hurt!

...and Ima fatass? I'm 6-3 195. Why don't you tell us about you?

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 10:15 PM
...and this isn't serious ya know, I mean this message board stuff. If I was inclined to "break anything down" I wouldn't come here to do it. I come here to relax and raise hell. :)

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 10:48 PM

LOL...someone got their feelers hurt!

...and Ima fatass? I'm 6-3 195. Why don't you tell us about you?

Have before. Ima fatass and proud of it.

6'5 295...yes have been losing weight!

CatfishSooner
9/14/2013, 10:57 PM
How bigga boy are ya...

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 11:01 PM
How bigga boy are ya...

Post your stats! Inquiring minds wanna know! And give us your football resume while you're at it!

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 11:08 PM
How bigga boy are ya...

Post your stats! Inquiring minds wanna know! And give us your football resume while you're at it!

Yes we need them all!

achiro
9/14/2013, 11:26 PM
When you guys finish your sword fight, could you work on an answer to my question?

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2013, 11:49 PM
When you guys finish your sword fight, could you work on an answer to my question?
Who are you and what was your question?

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 11:54 PM

What was the question?

OU_Sooners75
9/14/2013, 11:55 PM
I asked this few weeks ago but still wonder the answer. Who would have gotten more snaps last year? Bell running backup and belldozer packages or Knight running scout team? stuff?

Hard to tell because not sure how many snaps Bell got due to back up reps in practice.

But usually scout team will run the same play a few times each time. And they run and run and run plays.

So it could be even or or could be in advantage to Bell actually.

SoCalBigRed
9/15/2013, 02:44 PM

Hyperbole never won anything more than a couple of chuckles, for absurdity.

okiewaker
9/15/2013, 02:58 PM
Gone from an apology to a alpha male deelio. Anywho,,,, Bell seems to have solidified the QB spot,,,,and not a moment too soon.

Eielson
9/15/2013, 03:17 PM

Not using real game time play to make an evaluation. Some players are gamers.
They just know how to make it happen. There is another player that needs
more evaluation during games than practices.

Where is all this "real game time" you guys are talking about? Coming into this season, Bell's throwing stats were not worthy of earning him a starting spot. Not even close.

OUmillenium
9/15/2013, 03:22 PM
I too wanted and expected BB to be the starter this year. I was surprised to hear TK got the job but felt that he must have really shown some things to earn the job - running the offense with better pace was mentioned by the coaches. I also assumed he was a bigtime evasive running threat as a qb, and he has looked like that. But he did not execute the passing game well enough and got banged up in game 2.

My only concern with BB was "Could he be a solid passer?" I think better than solid is the answer. I also have felt the team gets a bit jacked up and rightfully confident with BB as qb which is a major plus.

I am very happy with BB but would have been fine with TK if he would have been sharper and not got hurt.

cvsooner
9/15/2013, 04:57 PM
Is it even possible that Stoops was sandbagging us? Playing Knight presumably in the first three games and planning to unleash Bell at Notre Dame? Prepare for the run and weak pass game and then come in and throw like crazy? The only flaw in that plan was the injury to Knight.

Curly Bill
9/15/2013, 05:05 PM
Is it even possible that Stoops was sandbagging us? Playing Knight presumably in the first three games and planning to unleash Bell at Notre Dame? Prepare for the run and weak pass game and then come in and throw like crazy? The only flaw in that plan was the injury to Knight.

Not possible!

Temujin
9/15/2013, 05:15 PM

If only...

SicEmBaylor
9/15/2013, 05:32 PM
Not possible!
I agree. I'd have serious concerns with the coaching staff if they have that much difficultly evaluating QB's.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/15/2013, 05:45 PM

Nah.

cleller
9/15/2013, 05:45 PM
I've been holding my breath and waiting to hear:

"No brag, just fact."

Guess everyone's too young.

Therealsouthsider
9/15/2013, 06:51 PM
I've been holding my breath and waiting to hear:

"No brag, just fact."

Guess everyone's too young.

...Guns of Will Sonnett

ss

Curly Bill
9/15/2013, 07:34 PM
I agree. I'd have serious concerns with the coaching staff if they have that much difficultly evaluating QB's.

I do have concerns, because they were obviously wrong in initially picking TK, and the evidence to date indicates they were terribly wrong!

cleller
9/15/2013, 07:50 PM
The coaches have a little egg on their face, but it seems obvious why. They were presented with an opportunity to mimic the Johnny Hymen offense, and threw the dice.

Had it worked, only Bama could have defeated it. With Mike Stoops back in the saddle with the defense, something extraordinary may have come from it.

But, it didn't work. Still, we are undefeated, and seemingly back to the offenses we've run for years successfully. Nothing great was lost in the experiment.

sendbaht
9/15/2013, 07:51 PM
Bell is awesome and will just get better and better. Nice kid too. Listened to his post game talk...guy can speak too. Lucky guy...QB of OU....nice looking....oh the girls that love him....

Curly Bill
9/15/2013, 08:19 PM
The talking heads just said how BB had more yards passing in his first half, than TK did in two games. I hadn't thought of that, but it still makes me wonder how there was ever a question of who the QB should be.

OU_Sooners75
9/15/2013, 09:01 PM
Not sure how its so hard to understand bill.

The coaches have said he (TK) was making the plays and throws in practice. And seein that the coaches were trying to go to more read option, they felt he (TK) was the better choice.

Again, it is easy to sit on our couches and second guess the coaching staff since we don't have access to practices.

But I digress since you are a coach and all.

Curly Bill
9/15/2013, 09:18 PM

The coaches have said he (TK) was making the plays and throws in practice. And seein that the coaches were trying to go to more read option, they felt he (TK) was the better choice.

Again, it is easy to sit on our couches and second guess the coaching staff since we don't have access to practices.

Much appreciated! ;)

And as such, if I'd missed so badly on what is the most important position on the field I'd feel rather poorly about myself. Since Stoops and company supposedly know soooo much more about football than us mere mortals, I'd like to think they would be better than they just showed at picking who should man that important position. Having said that, they must be given credit for getting it right with Sam and LJ, so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't all that bad.

Eielson
9/15/2013, 09:55 PM
While the first game indicates that Bell should have been the starter all along, it's only been one game. You can't tell yet.

BigTip
9/15/2013, 10:14 PM
But I liked the way he looked cool and collected pretty much all the time.
I got so tired of Landry looking like a deer caught in the headlights, even up to his last game.
Maybe BB is so big he isn't scared to get hit.
It's a refreshing change.

dennis580
9/15/2013, 11:44 PM
The coaches have a little egg on their face, but it seems obvious why. They were presented with an opportunity to mimic the Johnny Hymen offense, and threw the dice.

Had it worked, only Bama could have defeated it. With Mike Stoops back in the saddle with the defense, something extraordinary may have come from it.

But, it didn't work. Still, we are undefeated, and seemingly back to the offenses we've run for years successfully. Nothing great was lost in the experiment.

You are extremely underestimating Bell as a runner. Bell WILL have some 100 yard rushing games this year. That niffy 3rd, and long run against Tulsa was a thing of beauty. Bell is much faster then people think.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/16/2013, 12:30 AM
Bell was great and I hope he continues to do well. The thing that keeps me from getting too excited is that for lots of those completed passes there wasn't a Tulsa player within ten yards of the receiver. Not exacting having to throw into tight coverage.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/16/2013, 07:32 AM
While the first game indicates that Bell should have been the starter all along, it's only been one game. You can't tell yet.

Actually, you could tell by the accomplishments he had even as mere backup along with his performance in the spring game, which showed a much more mature and composed QB than Thompson or Knight. He's the real deal and that was the case before Saturday.

Knight fit the offense better in fall drills and he made just enough plays to be named the starter and that's why the coaching staff went with him, but he wasn't ready for live games yet. Perhaps when he has the 3+ years in the system that Bell has, he will be ready. I'm sure Knight knows what he did right and what he did wrong and he'll be a better QB because of it.

Temujin
9/16/2013, 07:37 AM

I expect this was what happened, but the reality is that Stoops and Co. made the wrong choice. This COULD have been a big issue because in the past, Stoops has been fairly stubborn about his decisions. This is especially frustrating since we're all capable of making mistakes, and a good leader realizes that and adjusts. Ultimately, I think Stoops is making the right decision, though, and realizes the mistake.

Since Stoops and company supposedly know soooo much more about football than us mere mortals, I'd like to think they would be better than they just showed at picking who should man that important position. Having said that, they must be given credit for getting it right with Sam and LJ, so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't all that bad.

I agree to an extent. There's a balance in everything and I think sometimes we over-criticize because of how passionate we are about the team.

But, I do wish people would realize that even though coaches like Stoops are paid millions to coach kids in football, it doesn't mean they're all infallible geniuses. Most of them are former football players, not rocket scientists, so people need to be realistic about their expectations from ANY coach. Also, being in sports as long as Stoops has, ego frequently enters the equation, further muddling his decision-making at times. I'm not saying that Stoops isn't a great coach - God knows he's better than what we went through in the 90s - but it's foolish of people to think that he knows best ALL of the time.

I imagine that when Stoops retires, we'll all realize what a great coach he was and treat him just like we treated Barry and Bud. But even Barry was questioned while he was still coaching, especially after losing those Miami games.

cleller
9/16/2013, 07:58 AM
I got so tired of Landry looking like a deer caught in the headlights, even up to his last game.

There were a handful of times it appeared that Bell pulled the ball back and took a dive, where TK might possibly have thrown it. Their reasons may have been different (Bell already had some completions, TK was trying to get rolling), but the effect was that Bell preserved what he had.

Likewise I saw him tuck the ball and dive for the line of scrimmage a few times when he MIGHT have been able to scramble for time. Given that we were handling TU well, the risk outweighed the reward. Bell did an excellent job of staying out of situations that could turn bad.

swardboy
9/16/2013, 08:32 AM

^ to the nth degree

OU_Sooners75
9/16/2013, 08:50 AM

Much appreciated! ;)

And as such, if I'd missed so badly on what is the most important position on the field I'd feel rather poorly about myself. Since Stoops and company supposedly know soooo much more about football than us mere mortals, I'd like to think they would be better than they just showed at picking who should man that important position. Having said that, they must be given credit for getting it right with Sam and LJ, so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't all that bad.

TK played bad in the passing game. If he is making the plays in practice the coaches felt he could do it in games.

The kid was obviously unable to get his nerves under control. And I would say some of the play calling had something to do with it too.

And the coaching staff has got it right more than naught. Or do we forget about Huepel, White, Thompson, Bradford, Jones? All have won conference titles as the QB.

I'm amazed at how you see this stuff before it becomes hindsight. You should apply to Stoops staff.

I mean u were able to make a correct call without watching any practices or formally knowing any of the players playing QB.

You should at least get a consultant job!

jkjsooner
9/16/2013, 08:53 AM
The person who needs to apologize is the idiot OU fan who trashed Bell and the coaches here.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/let-me-tell-you-about-drew-allen-because-i-know-and-you-should-listen.56126/

Meanwhile, Drew Allen is pretty much done at 'Cuse. I'm not happy about that as I wished him the best but it just shows that the OP on that thread didn't have a clue...

King Crimson
9/16/2013, 09:00 AM
The person who needs to apologize is the idiot OU fan who trashed Bell and the coaches here.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/let-me-tell-you-about-drew-allen-because-i-know-and-you-should-listen.56126/

Meanwhile, Drew Allen is pretty much done at 'Cuse. I'm not happy about that as I wished him the best but it just shows that the OP on that thread didn't have a clue...

that is horrible. God Bless Drew Allen but even John Blake beat Syracuse.

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2013, 09:56 AM

The guy may have made all this up, but it does fit with external observations. And the fact that Drew did not do well doesn't prove this person wrong. It's not surprising that a guy with only 1 year in the system doesn't thrive; it's quite unusual for a late transfer to win the job.

Back to an observation about Bell. That 1st TD pass to Shepard was a welcome sight to see. That was the very throw that LJ could never seem to make and led to low TD percentage in the redzone. LJ just never seemed to trust him arm to put the ball into tight places which always happens in the redzone. That was one of the reasons for needing the Belldozer package.

cleller
9/16/2013, 01:00 PM
The guy may have made all this up, but it does fit with external observations. And the fact that Drew did not do well doesn't prove this person wrong. It's not surprising that a guy with only 1 year in the system doesn't thrive; it's quite unusual for a late transfer to win the job.

Back to an observation about Bell. That 1st TD pass to Shepard was a welcome sight to see. That was the very throw that LJ could never seem to make and led to low TD percentage in the redzone. LJ just never seemed to trust him arm to put the ball into tight places which always happens in the redzone. That was one of the reasons for needing the Belldozer package.

If that was the thow in the north end zone, I noticed on the replay that Clay was also wide open coming across the goal line out of the backfield.
Guess Clay was further down the list. Great job.

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2013, 01:09 PM
If that was the thow in the north end zone, I noticed on the replay that Clay was also wide open coming across the goal line out of the backfield.
Guess Clay was further down the list. Great job.

I think both Shepard TDs were in the same endzone, but I was referring to the 1st, shorter throw. The coverage was pretty tight and Bell fired an accurate dart. The second one was pretty as well. A medium range throw that Shepard leaped for as he crossed in front of the defender. It may have been beginners luck on that one, but it looked like Bell did that "lead the reciever open" thing on that play. Both of those throws were superior to simple "game manager" throws. The only thing Bell did poorly the entire game was float a couple of ducks on long sideline routes. Not something OU has done that much in the LJ years anyway, but I'm glad they are in the game plan. I'm sure Bell can improve on those.

Temujin
9/16/2013, 01:12 PM

This is what happens when you form an opinion with VERY little to go on. I actually watched Bell's games at Bishop Carroll and it was his passing that stood out. Granted, that doesn't always translate to CFB, but he certainly was no slouch, and the coaching staff continually told us he could throw the ball.

I like Drew Allen and he very well could have done a great job as a starting QB at OU. But the fact is that he was outperformed by Landry AND Bell, and thus he transferred. There's nothing wrong with that, but this retarded poster acts like the coaching staff is flat stupid and that OU fans don't have a clue about football...ok, so some of them don't, but I'd wager on OU fans football knowledge over a few 'tards at Syracuse.

Eielson
9/16/2013, 05:17 PM
Actually, you could tell by the accomplishments he had even as mere backup

What were his passing stats coming into the year?

olevetonahill
9/16/2013, 05:18 PM
What were his passing stats coming into the year?

succ