PDA

View Full Version : Did we just find our starting qb?

ourichie
9/14/2013, 12:11 PM
I mean damn

auto
9/14/2013, 12:13 PM
Uh yes.

SoonerOX
9/14/2013, 12:31 PM
I'd say..

The Ghost of Mex
9/14/2013, 12:37 PM
...does Raggedy Ann have cotton tits?

dennis580
9/14/2013, 12:49 PM
We now have a QB that go into South Bend, and beat Notre Dame in 2 weeks.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/14/2013, 01:12 PM
it's Tulsa.

Eielson
9/14/2013, 01:13 PM
it's Tulsa.

It was UL-Monroe...

SoonerMarkVA
9/14/2013, 02:25 PM
It was UL-Monroe...

This.

Forget the competition. This was a guy who executed nearly flawlessly, but most importantly played a perfect game *mentally*. I expected him to do well, but I was blown away by how mature and polished he looked.

MyT Oklahoma
9/14/2013, 02:31 PM
Yes Toto (and Blake), we're not in Kansas any more.

mhackl
9/14/2013, 02:34 PM
This was the best thing that could have happened to Bell. Knight washed away any expectations that might have been set by Landry Jones.

SoonerOX
9/14/2013, 02:44 PM
Ummm....he played a great game....period

JoeR
9/14/2013, 02:45 PM
Really liked the way he spread the ball around, didn't just focus on one favorite. Essential if your going to live by the short passing game. Great leadership on the field.

kenth68
9/14/2013, 02:50 PM
i thought it was sorry that they put knight in the first game. whatever measures were used, i would have thought bell's last season should give him extra leverage. as far as i'm concerned, he won the spot last year. he would have had to be completely off or just not show up this summer to lose it to a freshman.

cortezsooner
9/14/2013, 03:32 PM
i thought it was sorry that they put knight in the first game. whatever measures were used, i would have thought bell's last season should give him extra leverage. as far as i'm concerned, he won the spot last year. he would have had to be completely off or just not show up this summer to lose it to a freshman.

Sitting and watching this game, I couldn't help but wonder: Was there an underlying issue or situation that fans were not aware of when Stoops choose his QB to start the season? I think the level of competition has been relative similar, but the difference between Bell and Knight was NIGHT AND DAY! (No pun intended...)

Eielson
9/14/2013, 04:28 PM
I didn't watch the game, but I watched a few highlights. Was Bell good, or was Tulsa just that bad? Most of our big plays didn't look like great throws. There was quite a bit of YAC, and a few of those long throws looked underthrown. Like I said, I didn't watch it, so I don't really know, but it just didn't seem like he was hitting receivers in stride like he'll need to in Big XII play. Obviously he deserves the next start (even if the #2 and #3 guys weren't hurt), but from the little I saw I'm not exactly sold he'll be the next great for us.

Curly Bill
9/14/2013, 04:32 PM
Didn't get to see the game, but I'm glad Bell got a REAL chance at the job.

I wonder if the staff didn't outsmart themselves in going with TK in the first place?

Soonerfossil
9/14/2013, 04:33 PM
I didn't watch the game, but I watched a few highlights. Was Bell good, or was Tulsa just that bad? Most of our big plays didn't look like great throws. There was quite a bit of YAC, and a few of those long throws looked underthrown. Like I said, I didn't watch it, so I don't really know, but it just didn't seem like he was hitting receivers in stride like he'll need to in Big XII play. Obviously he deserves the next start (even if the #2 and #3 guys weren't hurt), but from the little I saw I'm not exactly sold he'll be the next great for us.

If he plays this well against Notre Dame, will you believe then? What will it take for you to become a Bell convert?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/14/2013, 04:51 PM
Bell took care of the ball well. High completion percentage, was checking through progressions with good pace, and had a GREAT sense of pressure. Stayed in his checks and didn't get spooky. While there was a ball or two that wasn't on the dime, the only one I can recollect that wasn't a long, low percentage throw or through the end zone from coverage was a deep square-in that was literally three inches behind the receiver and a great play by the TU DB.

While I'd like to have all those deep balls right on the money, it wasn't like he was even close to inaccurate. He hit Saunders(?) on a slot fly for a TD late that couldn't have been grooved any greasier. In stride, on the dime, absolutely gorgeous. For once, the stats actually give a great reflection on the level of play.

PLaw
9/14/2013, 04:59 PM
Well, I guess that settles that. The Trevor Knight experiment is over. Clearly, Stoops and Co. wanted a read option attack, but at this point in his career, he is not there.

Boomer

Eielson
9/14/2013, 05:06 PM
Looking at some more highlights, I might have been overly critical. A couple of those big plays were great throws. My concern was that the screens and YAC (i.e. Jaz's 82 yarder) overinflated his yardage, and the long one to Neal should've hit him in stride for a TD instead of a diving catch. Definitely a promising first game.

BlownGP
9/14/2013, 05:15 PM
He played great, but we all know the true test will be in two weeks. Lets hope he can do it!!!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/14/2013, 05:23 PM

Bell was absolutely rock solid! Looking off defenders. Touch when needed. Laser beams when needed. Scrambled. Ate it on a sack or two. Just Friggin flawless. Graded out as an A or A+.
Bell

Tulsa_Fireman
9/14/2013, 05:30 PM
And because he's such a big bodied horse, there was one or two that should've been sacks that he was able to power out of and pick up a couple of hard earned yards. What a stud.

OUmillenium
9/14/2013, 05:40 PM
Very excited. I was anticipating this all summer. I was thrown off by the coaches decision to start TK but thought "well he must be a stud or Stoops would go with Bell." I have a lot better feeling about the Texass game now, as well as the rest of the schedule. Need to get injured guys back and keep bringing the defense.

AZSOONER
9/14/2013, 06:58 PM
I happy for the kid. Great game. 1 word, Maturity. He was truly a field general and did what it took to move the ball. 73% completion percentage is good no matter who ur playing. I loved the way he didn't lock onto 1 receiver, he made his reads, checked down and didn't force any passes that weren't there.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2013, 07:05 PM
Bell was absolutely solid and if you tuned in and didn't know better, you would not have believed it was his first start. He wasn't perfect and the numbers were just a bit inflated due to the 85 yard run by Reynolds, but not by much. He may well have gotten most those yards anyway on the same drive had the play been shorter. All the other YAC were normal for this offense if the QB throws an accurate pass and Bell did that. He was calm, went through his progression, and scrambled if nothing was there, but not too soon. About the only flaw I remember was floating a few long sideline passes too much (but safely away from the D). On the first FG, he probably threw the ball away a bit too quickly since he wasn't under pressure, but better to play it safe because the game is still close. I don't remember any near interceptions. Maybe most impressive to me, there were a few absolute beautiful passes in there that stood out. If wasn't just a short passing game. Another thing that stood out is Bell throws over the top and at 6'5", he's not going to get many batted at the line.