PDA

View Full Version : TCU @ Tech

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 06:23 PM
Decent game on tonight.

With Pachall out for the Frogs (although I don't think he was really helping much), Boykins will play the entire game tonight. Tech has looked good in their first two games, but this will be the first real test for the Raiders. I think TCU's defense steps up, and wins this one going away.

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 06:26 PM
Tech's uniforms...not sure if I like them. I do like the Frog's purple/chrome helmet with the all white though.

olevetonahill
9/12/2013, 06:30 PM
Got it on.

9/12/2013, 06:34 PM
Not a fan of the gray, but hey, it's Lubbock.

9/12/2013, 06:43 PM
Ok, I like the unis. They look like ants.

Jacie
9/12/2013, 07:22 PM
Those black faces on some TT fans are reminiscent of something but I just can't put my finger on it . . .

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 07:22 PM
TCU's offense looks shaky. The QB at Tech is pretty good.

cleller
9/12/2013, 07:59 PM
Add Tech to the list of the johnny-come-lately flavor of the month uniform club. Its like watching stone-washed jeans out there.

okiewaker
9/12/2013, 08:05 PM
Not a bad game for a Thursday night and lead-in to the weekend.

olevetonahill
9/12/2013, 08:12 PM
Some one post when it starts back up in the 2nd 1/2. I turned it off thru 1/2 time cause im sick of hearing about johhny suck a punk.

badger
9/12/2013, 08:19 PM
Watched first half. Tcu not playing up to potential, tech seems to want this one more.

Peeking at jets/pats now. Lol mark Sanchez. Will this league soon be devoid of Trojan quarterbacks?

aurorasooner
9/12/2013, 08:20 PM
Some one post when it starts back up in the 2nd 1/2. I turned it off thru 1/2 time cause im sick of hearing about johhny suck a punk. Jets/Pats is on the NFL networkl and channel flipping makes the ESPiN SEC suck-fest and their stale commercials tolerable. It's 10-3 Pats at the start of the 2nd.

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 09:15 PM
So, OU/WVU play to a 16-7 game...and now TCU/Tech are at 10-3 in the fourth quarter. What the hell is going on?!

bluedogok
9/12/2013, 09:32 PM
My wife hates the gray Tech uniforms, "our colors are red and black, not some kind of red and gray".

achiro
9/12/2013, 09:50 PM
My wife hates the gray Tech uniforms, "our colors are red and black, not some kind of red and gray".

This. Gray sucks.

Curly Bill
9/12/2013, 09:51 PM
Hate the unis. Doesn't make me think Texas Tech when I see em. (Not that I'm a Tech fan, or that I particularly care)

5noubus
9/12/2013, 09:56 PM
The officiating in this game is interesting or laughable or questionable at best

JiminyChristmas
9/12/2013, 09:58 PM
TCU has gotten completely hosed by bad calls.

Curly Bill
9/12/2013, 10:05 PM
TT must get to use Lubbock officials for all their home games.

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 10:12 PM
Embarassing officiating (particularly in the 4th). So, the conference adds an extra official, and still can't get it right?!

Neither team looked impressive to me. So far, other than our Sooners, Baylor looks like the best of the rest. But they haven't played anyone, so who knows?!

achiro
9/12/2013, 10:31 PM
TCU got sca-rood tonight. One punt return to the 12 called back for a block in the back but the tech guy was 5 yards from the nearest tcu player and just stumbled. Then the next punt return for a td called back because they said the kid waved a fair catch, "iffy" at best.

VA Sooner
9/12/2013, 10:33 PM
And I think Texas goes down to Ole Miss this weekend, especially with Daje Johnson out and David Ash looking more and more questionable.

Yep... the whole conference except for Baylor has had a few stumbles here and there. Hopefully just the first of the season jitters...

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2013, 11:31 PM
That illegal fair catch call wasn't terrible. What the announcers didn't mention is that if a receiver waves his arms low to tell his team to get away from the ball, then he can't advance it. Not sure that's what he was doing, but I could see the mistake on that one. But several other calls were plain awful. I thought TTech receivers were moving illegally at the snap on many plays and the refs were not calling it.

Strange game and another bone-head dropping the ball before crossing the goal line. 4th time I've seen that now.

SicEmBaylor
9/12/2013, 11:36 PM
That illegal fair catch call wasn't terrible. What the announcers didn't mention is that if a receiver waves his arms low to tell his team to get away from the ball, then he can't advance it. Not sure that's what he was doing, but I could see the mistake on that one. But several other calls were plain awful. I thought TTech receivers were moving illegally at the snap on many plays and the refs were not calling it.

Strange game and another bone-head dropping the ball before crossing the goal line. 4th time I've seen that now.
I remember seeing that happen a few years ago, but I can't remember the game.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2013, 12:00 AM
I remember seeing that happen a few years ago, but I can't remember the game.

DeSean Jackson did it in an Eagles game. 2 Broncos have done - Trinden Holliday last year and some linebacker last week. And now this kid. I'm sure it's the cool thing to release the ball right as a player crosses the goal line, but these guys mis-judge it in the excitement. Amazingly, none of these plays cost their team the game. I'm sure there are others I haven't seen though.

Judge Smails
9/13/2013, 12:58 AM
Tech storms the field after beating a 24th ranked team.

What a bunch of losers.

They'll probably hang a banner end the end zone and have T-shirts printed. Lucky the goal posts didn't come down.

SicEmBaylor
9/13/2013, 01:08 AM

What a bunch of losers.

They'll probably hang a banner end the end zone and have T-shirts printed. Lucky the goal posts didn't come down.

I don't know why some people get their little panties in such a wad over this. It's fun...it's a chance for students to go celebrate with their team....harmless (actually not so harmless in Tech's case) fun. I'm not talking about ripping down the goal posts, but I've long advocated allowing students to go out on the field after every win to celebrate with the team. Not a big deal.

And, yes, I know there's a fine either from the NCAA or the conference for doing that but that's an asinine rule if there ever was one.

Soonerjeepman
9/13/2013, 09:06 AM
the interference to make a catch on the punt by TCU was crap to...several bad calls..honestly though, looks like OU should take both. The team that I worry about now is bu and osu. Both offenses are humming...

jkjsooner
9/13/2013, 09:10 AM
DeSean Jackson did it in an Eagles game. 2 Broncos have done - Trinden Holliday last year and some linebacker last week. And now this kid. I'm sure it's the cool thing to release the ball right as a player crosses the goal line, but these guys mis-judge it in the excitement. Amazingly, none of these plays cost their team the game. I'm sure there are others I haven't seen though.

This is a sign that a person is ruled more by emotion that intellect. I can't even imagine making that type of mistake.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2013, 09:11 AM
the interference to make a catch on the punt by TCU was crap to...several bad calls..honestly though, looks like OU should take both. The team that I worry about now is bu and osu. Both offenses are humming...

Agreed that interference call was the worst one and it probably cost TCU any chance of a come back. It may have even been touched and recovered by TCU, but I couldn't tell since they didn't dwell on it after the flag. Total BS.

badger
9/13/2013, 09:17 AM
if you thought the game was bad, wait till you see what TCU's internet fans thought of it. a sampling now posted on meltdown thread... yes, a lot of ref bashing

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2013, 09:19 AM
This is a sign that a person is ruled more by emotion that intellect. I can't even imagine making that type of mistake.

And by image. Why else even cut it close with a sure TD in hand?

I remember a story of an analogous thing happening with an Air Force fly boys. I guess it is considered cool to lift the landing gear as soon as a fighter jet takes off the runway. One Tom Cruise wannabe lifted the gear a smidge too early and a little micro-burst put the jet back on it's belly on the runway. I guess crashing a $20m fighter jet is a bit more serious than dropping a TD*, but hey, the tax payer will pick up the tab, so why not?

*on second thought, I wonder how much each NFL TD really costs? Total player salary/#TDs might be more than $20m

Tear Down This Wall
9/13/2013, 09:24 AM
Awful. F*cking embarrassing to be in a conference with former Southwest Conference schools. They are dragging the Big 12 into a whole new level of suck.

I understand the uniform-of-the-week club at Oregon because the Nike guy is from there. But, other than that, it screams mid-major. We've got all of these Southwest Conference schools embracing it - Tech, TCU, Baylor. They all suck. If they want to act mid-major with their uniform changes, they they need to get the hell out of our conference and join a mid-major.

For all the bad things you can say about Texas, at least they're not screwing around with their uniforms.

Why the f*ck we stayed in this p*ss ant conference when we had a chance to go to the SEC....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/13/2013, 09:24 AM

What a bunch of losers.

They'll probably hang a banner end the end zone and have T-shirts printed. Lucky the goal posts didn't come down.Heck, somebody at OU got the fans to "stripe the field", 2 times so far. Would it come as a surprise if it's done again this year? We're going Boise/Baylor?

badger
9/13/2013, 09:34 AM
It was 2003, I think. Anyway, we went to Lubbock and won by a lot. Our little 100 (or so) pep band was in an endzone right behind a goal post. Immediately after the game, the yellow shirts disassembled the goal post, stood guard around it and stared us band members down. It was like they expected us to act like Tech fans or something.

Anyway, we stayed in the stands, a few lucky front row members got to high five Tommie Harris and other players who greeted us Lubbock road trippers, and we made no move for the field or the goal post.

Tear Down This Wall
9/13/2013, 09:38 AM
Heck, somebody at OU got the fans to "stripe the field", 2 times so far. Would it come as a surprise if it's done again this year? We're going Boise/Baylor?

Exactly. And, the damn towels last year for the Notre Dame game. Bush league.

Add to it, the idiot, "Get up and scream!" stupidity on the scoreboard screen now on third downs.

Why in the hell are we f*cking around with the low hanging fruit? This is Oklahoma. We don't need to be told what to do during a football game like some half-as*sed Southwest Conference refugee, or old Big 8 Aggie outfit (OSU, KSU to the nth degree).

Just around the corner has to be the ubiquitous (for suck schools): "And, that's another (fill in the blank with crap school) FIRST DOWN!"

jkjsooner
9/13/2013, 12:50 PM
That TCU QB really needs to learn to scramble. Every time I saw him run he would do some sort of jump stop trying to juke a defender and always got swarmed at that point.

Someone needs to teach him to find a crease, head upfield, and get what he can. Whatever he's doing might have worked in high school but it isn't working now.

(Note: I only saw a tiny fraction of the game.)

Jacie
9/13/2013, 02:21 PM
It was 2003, I think. Anyway, we went to Lubbock and won by a lot. Our little 100 (or so) pep band was in an endzone right behind a goal post. Immediately after the game, the yellow shirts disassembled the goal post, stood guard around it and stared us band members down. It was like they expected us to act like Tech fans or something.

Anyway, we stayed in the stands, a few lucky front row members got to high five Tommie Harris and other players who greeted us Lubbock road trippers, and we made no move for the field or the goal post.

In the history of college football, have the visiting fans ever torn down a goalpost?

I understand that it used to be common or at least it happened after some OU/TX games in the Cotton Bowl when they were still using the two-post wooden ones but seriously, when have there been enough fans of an away team to even contemplate this?

badger
9/13/2013, 02:55 PM
In the history of college football, have the visiting fans ever torn down a goalpost?

I understand that it used to be common or at least it happened after some OU/TX games in the Cotton Bowl when they were still using the two-post wooden ones but seriously, when have there been enough fans of an away team to even contemplate this?

I have been told that OSU fans once rushed Norman's field and tore down our goalpost in Norman. They rushed our field after Poke victory in 2001, but they did not down our goalpost that day... which is a very good thing, as the OU band was also on the field (at center field for postgame concert -- Poke fans were in south endzone).

EatLeadCommie
9/13/2013, 04:18 PM
Tech's uniforms were some of the ugliest yet. Only Sand Aggies can screw up a perfectly good black/red color scheme.

Also, their QB looks like Melvin before he became The Toxic Avenger

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6uucLOiGpFo/USl2O8LincI/AAAAAAAAEnU/CGlJajKLsx0/s400/melvintoxic.png

King Barry's Back
9/13/2013, 06:24 PM
On the dropped ball at the goal line - can someone explain that call to me?

If he dropped it while at the one, that would be a fumble, right? If Tech recovered, it should have been a TD. If TCU recovered, or out of the end zone, should have been a touchback.

Right?

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2013, 09:56 PM

If he dropped it while at the one, that would be a fumble, right? If Tech recovered, it should have been a TD. If TCU recovered, or out of the end zone, should have been a touchback.

Right?

Refs blew the play dead after signaling TD - yet another mistake. So the only thing the replay ref could do was award the ball to the last player that had it.

8timechamps
9/13/2013, 10:05 PM

Right?

It was a fumble, and would have been a touch-back IF a TCU player would have jumped on the ball in the end-zone. Instead, the play was whistled "dead" and that makes the ball "dead", by rule, the ball is placed at the spot the player fumbled (in that case it was at the 1/2 yard line). Since Tech was flagged after the play (unsportsmanlike conduct), they added 15 yards, and TCU got the ball at the 16 1/2 yard line.

It's a screwy rule. I think if a player fumbles the ball into the end-zone, and a member of that team doesn't jump on the ball, it should be an automatic touch-back and change of possession. Like David Pollack said during the game last night, "why should Tech be rewarded with the ball, they fumbled it?!".

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2013, 10:23 PM
It was a fumble, and would have been a touch-back IF a TCU player would have jumped on the ball in the end-zone. Instead, the play was whistled "dead" and that makes the ball "dead", by rule, the ball is placed at the spot the player fumbled (in that case it was at the 1/2 yard line). Since Tech was flagged after the play (unsportsmanlike conduct), they added 15 yards, and TCU got the ball at the 16 1/2 yard line.

It's a screwy rule. I think if a player fumbles the ball into the end-zone, and a member of that team doesn't jump on the ball, it should be an automatic touch-back and change of possession. Like David Pollack said during the game last night, "why should Tech be rewarded with the ball, they fumbled it?!".

In this case, I don't think a player jumping on the ball would have changed anything since the knucklehead ref blew the play dead. In the Bronco game last week the refs got it right and did nothing when the player dropped the ball. It eventually bounced out of bounds for a touchback.

8timechamps
9/13/2013, 10:37 PM
In this case, I don't think a player jumping on the ball would have changed anything since the knucklehead ref blew the play dead. In the Bronco game last week the refs got it right and did nothing when the player dropped the ball. It eventually bounced out of bounds for a touchback.

Thinking about it, you're probably correct. The ref did blow the play dead, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

Like you mentioned earlier, this is now the 5th time I've seen this happen (Jackson did it twice), and every time it happens, I think "How? Why?".

I can almost understand a defensive player being so excited, but that still doesn't really wash with me. Lots of defensive players have scored and were able to keep the football. It's almost like they think "I'll show how good I am by dropping the ball close to the goal line". Just crazy.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2013, 11:28 PM
...It's almost like they think "I'll show how good I am by dropping the ball close to the goal line". Just crazy.

It's not almost, I guarantee that's the exact reason they do it. It's all about image. If I were the coach, I think my head would explode.

bluedogok
9/14/2013, 11:17 AM
After Holliday did it last year Coach Fox told him to hand the ball to an official, if not, he would be fined.