PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Lynn (Big 12 defensive player of the week) feature

badger
9/11/2013, 12:06 PM
The hero of Saturday got a feature in his hometown paper today (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OUs_Gabe_Lynn_follows_the_principles_his_dad_Tyron e/20130911_92_B1_NORMAN245035)

"When I redshirted, just like every other freshman I wanted to transfer. I didn't feel like it was going well at all," Gabe says. "My dad kept me levelheaded. He was, like, 'You've got to wait your turn.'"

For the record, I have always been a Gabe Lynn fan because he's from Tulsa and because of his parents. :)

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for posting - uplifting read. I'm a fan of any player that sticks with the program and is a principled person on and off the field. Lynn is oft ridiculed over on landthieves and the posters (children?) over there never seem to think these are real people trying their best in an extremely competitive environment.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2013, 01:25 PM
He was a 4 star out of HS. Fitting he should become a contributor.

badger
9/11/2013, 01:31 PM
My mom has met and spoken to Gabe's mom and Gabe's dad infamously did Tulsa a huge public service (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Tower_standoff_tragedy_averted/20110818_61_a16_thetro29196) back in 2011.

It wasn't just our Land Thieves counterparts, but also many OU fans that I knew that were not always the nicest about Gabe's on-field play. But, since he was a fellow Tulsan and parental-ness, I remained a Gabe fan. :)

badger
9/17/2013, 08:32 AM
I informally retitle this the "Get Well Soon Gabe Lynn" thread.

And now, Mike Stoops goes ballistic over the ref call that nearly kicked Gabe outta the game (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Mike_Stoops_rant_on_Gabe_Lynns_targeting_penalty/12-22268):

"I'm just disappointed that it's exactly what we teach them to do. That's the only way he can get the ball. He did exactly what we teach them. So they're telling me I'm teaching my guys wrong. That's disappointing to me. That's not what rules intend to do. If they're gonna wave it off, just wave it off. If he didn't launch, he didn't go high, there shouldn't be a penalty. You can't penalize somebody for hitting some guy's shoulder or his arm to knock a ball loose. That's not a penalty. If they're gonna wave it off, to me, they should wave the whole (penalty) off. There's such an overreaction.

"I looked to see if he left his feet. He didn't leave his feet. He didn't hit him in the head. Every element that they told us would be called, he didn't do any of them. So now it becomes a judgment call. To me if they're gonna review it, why don't they just review it and see if he did make contact high or launched. Those are all the elements they're looking for. It's just disappointing they can't take that element back. It's kind of foolish to me.

"It cost us a touchdown. He overreacted. He thought (Lynn) grazed his head. But when you look at it you can see they hit shoulder to shoulder. That's what I was upset over. That's what we teach. That's the only way we can do it. So now what do you do? You don't do anything? We're literally stopping before we can hit anybody now. That's what it's gotten to...

"They've got to lower their targets. That's why going after a quarterback, ultimately we're going to have to go take their knees out. And you can do it in college. That's what they're telling us. You've got to literally go for their knees. Because if your body hits their face mask when you try to knock a ball down or go high… It's gonna cause more problems in the lower extremity. I don't know what the answer is to that...

"The kid makes a great play and he gets no credit. He gets yelled at for a 15-yard penalty that gives them a touchdown. What's fair in that?"