PDA

View Full Version : The Mack Brown's replacement thread.

cleller
9/11/2013, 09:02 AM
I apologize if someone else has started something similar, couldn't really see one devoted to Mack. If so, maybe someone can merge or blast this thread to Mars. The Saban thing wasn't as to the point.

Assuming the whorns keep up their terrible play, who will Texas go after?

David Shaw-Stanford? Pat Jones has mentioned him some. He's a Stanford alum, proud, and I think he wants to stay there.
Charlie Strong-Louisville? My biggest fear, but I hope he'd rather wait for something else, probably SEC
Garry Patterson-TCU? Keep hearing he is not schmoozy enough.
Art Briles-Baylor? Seems like a likely candidate. Some think he's not high profile enough, and has poor defenses.
Major Applewhite? No way they stay in house with the house already wrecked.
Gumby? Not on the heels of the SI stuff

badger
9/11/2013, 09:08 AM
Will Muschamp :D

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 09:08 AM
Mark Mangino

SoonerMarkVA
9/11/2013, 09:22 AM
This guy?
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17h9s5ol3adj8jpg/original.jpg

Mac94
9/11/2013, 09:23 AM
Someone here in Austin mentioned the name John Gruden ... a good football coach with (now) a ton of TV experience with ESPN. Could fit the demands as a coach along with the media requirements ... plus would be a "name / splash" hire. Don't know if he could recruit though.

PrideMom
9/11/2013, 09:36 AM
Someone here in Austin mentioned the name John Gruden ... a good football coach with (now) a ton of TV experience with ESPN. Could fit the demands as a coach along with the media requirements ... plus would be a "name / splash" hire. Don't know if he could recruit though.

Texas doesn't need any help in recruiting, just player development. Texas has players everywhere that want to be a Longhorn. I think Texas's program finally shows its true colors. They picked on the SW conference teams (small and private schools) for years, knowing they could beat them without much effort. Now that won't work any more, and Texas has developed sloppy work habits.

I say, "What goes around, comes around!"

oudanny
9/11/2013, 11:39 AM
Moe, Larry, or Curly - any one of the three will do.

badger
9/11/2013, 11:43 AM
Question: ESPN has big dealios with the SEC and with Texas.

Which do they value more this weekend: The future of Bevo TV (which is broadcasting Ole Miss/whorn), or the SEC having more than a handful of winning, ranked programs?

The question could give you headaches thinking about the different scenarios

cleller
9/11/2013, 12:32 PM

Gruden's name was brought up again on the Tulsa Animal. Jones' comment was that anyone Texas calls would at least talk with them, because they have the money and the territory.

rock on sooner
9/11/2013, 12:41 PM
Ima guessin that if Gruden did hook up with the Horns then QB
play would be a strong suit.....

Widescreen
9/11/2013, 12:55 PM
With the horns mentality, they'll probably go after Charlie Weis. And I'd be OK with that.

badger
9/11/2013, 12:57 PM
With the horns mentality, they'll probably go after Charlie Weis. And I'd be OK with that.

I'll one-up ya --- they'll go after a North Carolina coach again: Butch Davis :eek:

SoonerStormchaser
9/11/2013, 01:07 PM
It'd be either Briles or Gruden

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2013, 01:15 PM
Gruden would be a good choice from my point of view (i.e. phail).

cleller
9/11/2013, 04:56 PM
Cassilas was mentioning the far-out rumors about Sabban, and said he though it would be great. Made the point that the Big 12 would instantly be more competitive, exciting etc.

Its a sad fact to realize that OU suffers from a weak Big 12. Which is worse, the risk of facing down Saban every year, or slowly fizzling out due to lack of competition and recruiting?

Curly Bill
9/11/2013, 05:02 PM
Gruden would be a good choice from my point of view (i.e. phail).

Agreed. I think Gruden would be fail.

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 06:32 PM
Turner Gill or Lane Kiffen.

In honor of our Longhorn friends, we should pay for a banner to fly over the stadium with these suggestions. Isn't that what they like to do?

MyT Oklahoma
9/11/2013, 06:36 PM
Is John Blake still available? :wink:

fadada1
9/11/2013, 07:46 PM
Bill Callahan.

sendbaht
9/11/2013, 08:46 PM
does not matter. MB will be here for many more years. I enjoy his looks on the sidelines to much for him to go...someone will get fired again maybe this week, plus it's the new hurry-up offence he is running that his holding them back and 2015 now is going to be "the year"

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 09:00 PM
And to think Just a Month ago Ole Yeller was saying this was gonna be the BEST team he's had there in the last 3 years.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCs8igY8hOKLiCeiOifQJIdWBvsG8pf xevv-L1d3PBQG_B9bIfxQ

Flagstaffsooner
9/11/2013, 09:05 PM
Moe, Larry, or Curly - any one of the three will do.

Or Jimmy Carter.

swardboy
9/11/2013, 09:25 PM
And to think Just a Month ago Ole Yeller was saying this was gonna be the BEST team he's had there in the last 3 years.

And sadly, it might be.

I'm still trying to figger out how Mack got there.

bluedogok
9/11/2013, 09:33 PM
Bill Callahan.
Well...he is in Texas, he's the Dallas Cowboys Offensive Coordinator.

They need a CEO, not a coach, more precisely they need a CEO who can hire good assistant coaches. The Texas job is very political...but then pretty much everything in Texas is.

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 09:40 PM
And sadly, it might be.

I'm still trying to figger out how Mack got there.

I dont think its gonna do that well.

TrophyCollector
9/11/2013, 10:00 PM
Mr. Coach Kline

Widescreen
9/11/2013, 10:07 PM
Mr. Coach Kline
Only if he brings Farmer Fran as his assistant.

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 10:50 PM
Mr. Coach Kline

He's the debbil.

KantoSooner
9/12/2013, 09:36 AM
Howard Schnellenberger. He'd fit in perfectly with DeLoss and the boys.

thread.

olevetonahill
9/12/2013, 09:44 AM
Howard Schnellenberger. He'd fit in perfectly with DeLoss and the boys.

thread.

Werd!

badger
9/12/2013, 09:57 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCs8igY8hOKLiCeiOifQJIdWBvsG8pf xevv-L1d3PBQG_B9bIfxQ

Now now, it still could be:
2010: 5-7
2011: 8-5
2012: 9-4

They could still go 12-1! :mack:

I tuned into Bevo TV last night and they showed Mack's postgame locker room speech. He was very subdued. It was angry, it wasn't frustration, it wasn't even sadness. It was like he was saying "it is what it is" all over again. I think he knows this is his final season coaching UT.

BigTip
9/12/2013, 10:01 AM
Will Muschamp :D

...is still waiting.

:highly_amused:

SeattleOUstudent
9/12/2013, 10:15 AM
You dont think Mike Leach would jump at this opportunity? That would freak me out a little bit.

Jacie
9/12/2013, 10:20 AM
You dont think Mike Leach would jump at this opportunity? That would freak me out a little bit.

The only problem with bringing in a coach who has had some success elsewhere is that, well, he is going to expect his players to do things like practice and show up for games and you know, play really hard.

That just isn't going to fly in Austin, the Land of Entitlement.

The best job in college football might be a tough sell.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2013, 10:45 AM

Leach has already proven he doesn't get along with the Texas good 'ol boy network. He might insist on having some things his own way.

The Ghost of Mex
9/12/2013, 08:19 PM

They'd have to install an equipment shed near the practice field.

REDREX
9/12/2013, 08:23 PM
Someone here in Austin mentioned the name John Gruden ... a good football coach with (now) a ton of TV experience with ESPN. Could fit the demands as a coach along with the media requirements ... plus would be a "name / splash" hire. Don't know if he could recruit though.---That's correct he is who many of the big money people want--------We do not want that to happen

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/12/2013, 08:26 PM
Manny Diaz

badger
9/12/2013, 08:40 PM
Iowa guy

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 09:18 PM

No way in hell. The UT job is probably the most politically driven program in the country. The pirate wouldn't have any of it!

First, they'll have to get Dodds out of there, then bring in their new AD. Then the AD will bring in another yes man.

Let's be honest here, Texas isn't exactly rich with championship tradition. When they do wise up and hire a new coach, I expect them to continue their reign of mediocrity.

aurorasooner
9/12/2013, 10:02 PM
Since we play early on Sat, I was looking at the early Sat night games. The Ole Miss/Whorn game is probably the most interesting with the best story line and normally I'd root for the whorns, Big 12 and all. However, when networks and schools start screwing the fans with crap like solo on the LHN and PPV when the game should obviously be on network TV, I hope the whorns get their azz whipped, and with all the fans safe under the stadium, a random lightning storm surge at halftime destroys all the LHN equipment.

Illinois vs. Washington (Soldier Field) 5:00 p.m. BTN (HD) / BTN2Go
Iowa at Iowa State 5:00 p.m. FS1 (HD)
UCF at Penn State 5:00 p.m. BTN (HD) / BTN2Go
Southern Utah at Washington State 5:30 p.m. PAC-12 Network (HD) / Pac-12 Video
Kent State at LSU 6:00 p.m. ESPNU (HD) / WatchESPN *9
Mississippi State at Auburn 6:00 p.m. ESPN2 (HD) / WatchESPN *9
Ohio State at California 6:00 p.m. FOX (HD)
Montana at North Dakota 6:00 p.m. DTV: 623 / (FCSP/Max Media/Midco) (cable) / Video
Morgan State at Liberty 6:00 p.m. ESPN-GP / espn3 / Video / Flames Sports (cable)
Rhode Island at Albany 6:00 p.m. (CSMA / CSCA) *5 / (NBC Regional / TWC) (cable)
Vanderbilt at South Carolina 6:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) / WatchESPN *9
Kansas at Rice 6:30 p.m. CBSSN (HD)
Lamar at Oklahoma State 6:30 p.m. FSN Affiliates (HD) / FCSC (cable)
Marshall at Ohio 7:00 p.m. ESPN News / WatchESPN *9
Notre Dame at Purdue 7:00 p.m. ABC (HD) / WatchABC *9
Ole Miss at Texas 7:00 p.m. LHN / Mississippi cable (updated)
UTEP at New Mexico State 7:00 p.m. ESPN-GP / espn3
DII: Chadron State at West Texas A&M

bluedogok
9/12/2013, 10:33 PM
A (Tech) co-worker and his friend (Ole Miss alum) flew down to Lubbock for the game tonight and is headed down to Austin for for that game on Saturday.

Piware
9/12/2013, 11:06 PM
Gary Gibbs

aurorasooner
9/13/2013, 07:16 PM
Just read that Ash is officially out for Old Miss, and that Case McCoy will start. So they're in the same boat as us, Tech, and TCU.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9670288/texas-longhorns-qb-david-ash-ole-miss-rebels

JLEW1818
9/13/2013, 07:36 PM
John Clayton .... The Professor

yermom
9/13/2013, 07:40 PM
Chuck Long

Jacie
9/13/2013, 07:48 PM
Depending on which one you look at, the line on this one has sa*et -2 1/2 to -3, O/U from 65 to 66.

Almost a pick em game now with Pony Boy Lite starting for the whorns.