PDA

View Full Version : OL Commit

NorthernIowaSooner
9/10/2013, 08:56 PM
Daily Oklahoman Link (http://newsok.com/sooners-pick-up-commitment-from-og-jonathan-alvarez/article/3881417?custom_click=columnist)

Didn't see this anywhere else.

Oklahoma picked up its 14th commitment for the class of 2014 Tuesday night when Mesquite (Texas) Horn offensive guard Jonathan Alvarez committed to the Sooners.
Alvarez (6-foot-3, 300 pounds) announced his commitment on Twitter, saying he was “proud to be a Sooner.”

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 09:07 PM
It was just confirmed by his HS coach.

Here's the details:

Jonathan Alvarez
6'3" 280lbs
OG, C
Horn High School
Mesquite, TX.
Scout: 2 stars
Rivals: 2 stars
Other offers: Houston, UL-Monroe, New Mexico State, NW State

I don't know anything about this kid, and this is the first time I've heard his name. He obviously isn't a high profile recruit, but Bedenbaugh seems to know what he's looking for. My guess is that he'll be a roster filler for depth, but who knows?

Soonerjeepman
9/11/2013, 12:01 AM
well of course we pulled him away from ULM...we just kicked their butts!..

again, I'm not a college coach, hell not even HS football...and I do trust our coaches, but damn...pulling a guy with only those offers don't excite me too much...but we'll see.

Ruf/Nek7
9/11/2013, 12:01 PM
I watched his highlight video and nothing really impressive. Nothing like last years 2* recruit that came out of nowhere. (Charles Walker)

Curly Bill
9/11/2013, 04:26 PM
He may be a stud, but he didn't even hold an offer from North Texas! But yeah, we did steal him away from ULM.

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 06:21 PM
I've had some time to research this kid, and I'm still scratching my head. Apparently, he's had interest from all the big Texas schools, but no offers. We were far and away his biggest suitor.

I've reached the conclusion that he's a safety net at OC. We have Darlington for 3 more years (including this year), and we just got a commitment from Alex Dalton at OC. I'm thinking this is a depth move.

The only other possibility is that he's a real hidden gem, but after looking at his tape, I'm not seeing it.

I trust the staff, and Bedenbaugh has done very well so far, we'll see how it turns out.

birddog
9/11/2013, 10:40 PM
Maybe we offered him 50 bucks.

Curly Bill
9/12/2013, 04:52 PM
Maybe he offered us 50 bucks? hahahahahaha

Soonerfan88
9/12/2013, 09:22 PM
He came up to OU's camp last summer and also one of the NIKE camps. I'll trust Coach B's evaluation over Rivals and Scout.

SoonerorLater
9/16/2013, 08:50 AM
Who's NW State? Do this guy have some photos of people in the administration?

8timechamps
9/16/2013, 10:04 PM
Just to show how my OCD works when it comes to recruiting...I think I've uncovered the mystery that was Alvarez committing to OU.

Remember the name Conner Dyer.

Dyer is already considered a top recruit for 2015. He's an ESPN top 150 player, and has a ton of offers (including A&M, Stanford and Arizona State) for a junior. He's thought to be a player that could come in and play immediately (he's 6'4', 283). Dyer is a junior at (you guessed it) Horn High School in Mequite Texas.

Oh, and he happens to be best friends with Jonathan Alvarez.

It wouldn't be the first time we went after a lesser player to land a much better one.

It's worth noting that Alvarez is considered to be a solid lineman. I recently read that he was a stand out at A&M's camp last summer, and his offer list should grow between now and NSD. So, we may get the best of both worlds with him (a quality player and his buddy, Dyer).

Curly Bill
9/16/2013, 10:07 PM
Just to show how my OCD works when it comes to recruiting...I think I've uncovered the mystery that was Alvarez committing to OU.

Remember the name Conner Dyer.

Dyer is already considered a top recruit for 2015. He's an ESPN top 150 player, and has a ton of offers (including A&M, Stanford and Arizona State) for a junior. He's thought to be a player that could come in and play immediately (he's 6'4', 283). Dyer is a junior at (you guessed it) Horn High School in Mequite Texas.

Oh, and he happens to be best friends with Jonathan Alvarez.

It wouldn't be the first time we went after a lesser player to land a much better one.

It's worth noting that Alvarez is considered to be a solid lineman. I recently read that he was a stand out at A&M's camp last summer, and his offer list should grow between now and NSD. So, we may get the best of both worlds with him (a quality player and his buddy, Dyer).

Not surprised at all at that first bit of news, and if the second part comes true - bonus!

Temujin
10/4/2013, 11:33 PM
The thing I see frequently with HS vs college players is that their bodies haven't always fully matured. UT and others like to recruit the HS behemoths that dominate the tinier players at the HS level. But they've also maxed their potential a lot of the time, making the jump to college a bit of a struggle. Some guys, as big as they are, also haven't finished filling out, and have more potential for growth in college. Of course, I'm not saying that's the reason we picked this guy up, but it's something that tends to be missed when viewing a recruit from the outside.

stoopified
10/5/2013, 06:31 AM
YOU NEVER CAN TELL WHO WILL BE A PLAYER AND WHO WILL JUST BE A PRACTICE BODY.ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO ou SIGNED A PAIR OF DL FROM hOUSTON(lAMAR,i THINK).The can't miss recruit was Arthur Atkins(I'm sure many are scratching their heads and saying who?), while the OTHER recruit was Cedric Jones who was 3 year starter and had a nice NFL career with the Giants.

It is cases like these which cause me not to get too carried away one way or another with recruiting and prospect rankings. I much prefer if a coach gets a kid into summer camp and makes recruiting decesions based on their own evaluations and not recruiting rankings.