PDA

View Full Version : Big XII in statistics: Week 2

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 04:55 PM
Not much can be said for the rankings this early in the season, but it is kind of interesting to see where the teams are currently (since most of the conference has played only cupcakes)

Breaking down the Big XII statistics: Week 2

The numbers in parenthesis indicate the national ranking out of 123 teams.

Total Offense
1. Baylor (1)
2. Texas Tech (6)
3. Texas (11)
4. Oklahoma State (27)
5. Oklahoma (60)
6. Iowa State (67)
7. West Virginia (73)
8. Kansas (76)
9. Kansas State (77)
10. TCU (100)

Passing Offense
1. Texas Tech (2)
2. Baylor (4)
3. Texas (t16)
4. Oklahoma State (19)
5. Kansas State (33)
6. Iowa State (55)
7. West Virginia (61)
8. TCU (t87)
9. Oklahoma (110)
10. Kansas (t115)

Rushing Offense
1. Oklahoma (12)
2. Baylor (14)
3. Kansas (21)
4. Texas (29)
5. Oklahoma State (57)
6. West Virginia (64)
7. Iowa State (65)
8. Texas Tech (77)
9. TCU (80)
10. Kansas State (108)

Total Defense
1. Oklahoma (20)
2. Kansas (22)
3. Baylor (28)
4. West Virginia (59)
5. Kansas State (62)
6. TCU (65)
7. Oklahoma State (80)
8. Texas Tech (82)
9. Iowa State (t94)
10. Texas (115)

Passing Defense
1. Kansas (2)
2. West Virginia (26)
3. Baylor (32)
4. Oklahoma (35)
5. Kansas State (t40)
6. Texas (46)
7. TCU (48)
8. Iowa State (t67)
9. Oklahoma State (100)
10. Texas Tech (118)

Rushing Defense
1. Texas Tech (18)
2. Oklahoma (t27)
3. Oklahoma State (t38)
4. Baylor (47)
5. Kansas State (85)
6. TCU (t90)
7. West Virginia (97)
8. Kansas (105)
9. Iowa State (110)
10. Texas (121)

Scoring Defense
1. Oklahoma (t4)
2. Baylor (12)
3. Kansas (27)
4. West Virginia (30)
5. Texas Tech (39)
6. Oklahoma State (41)
7. Texas (t54)
8. Kansas State (t65)
9. TCU (t76)
10. Iowa State (t79)

Chuck Bao
9/11/2013, 12:23 AM
Wow! The Texas defense really does suck at #115 in the country. Nobody in the sports bar in Dallas where I watched the BYU game was publicly rooting for Texas, I guess except me. No wonder the DC was fired. That's just too awful to be pitiful.

Now, the Baylor offense is another matter. Baylor's first team offense hasn't needed to punt so far this year. I was watching the scoreboard and Baylor had the ball for only four minutes in the first quarter of the Buffalo game and scored four touchdowns - or a touchdown a minute. I think so far the Bears' are averaging a touchdown every two minutes, which even against cupcakes seems pretty impressive for a new QB and an offense getting its act together early in the season.

SicEmBaylor
9/11/2013, 02:35 AM
Wow! The Texas defense really does suck at #115 in the country. Nobody in the sports bar in Dallas where I watched the BYU game was publicly rooting for Texas, I guess except me. No wonder the DC was fired. That's just too awful to be pitiful.

Now, the Baylor offense is another matter. Baylor's first team offense hasn't needed to punt so far this year. I was watching the scoreboard and Baylor had the ball for only four minutes in the first quarter of the Buffalo game and scored four touchdowns - or a touchdown a minute. I think so far the Bears' are averaging a touchdown every two minutes, which even against cupcakes seems pretty impressive for a new QB and an offense getting its act together early in the season.'

It's actually less than 2 minutes...it's about every 1:20 minutes. We're averaging just shy of 12 yards every play. We scored 63 points last Saturday with a TOP of 5:01. Our starters have not yet played a single down in the 4th quarter and most were pulled after the first series of the third quarter.

Seth Russell is one of the top 10-QB's so far this season in the Big XII and he's our backup.

Yeah....so far so good.

David Earl
9/11/2013, 08:04 AM
It's still early, but Baylor is starting to look like they might could win the conference. Got to see what they do when they get past the cupcake part of their schedule.

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 08:15 AM
It's still early, but Baylor is starting to look like they might could win the conference. Got to see what they do when they get past the cupcake part of their schedule.

Pretty much true for all of us. Going into week 3 and it still looks like we are unsettled everywhere but the D and the Running Game.

David Earl
9/11/2013, 08:25 AM
If our passing game comes together reasonably well, whichever QB that involves, I think we can really compete for the conference. If not, it looks to me like we're going to have a hard time keeping up in a shootout.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/11/2013, 11:57 AM
If OU's passing game comes together, it won't be a matter of competing for the conference title, it will be a matter of outright winning it without much challenge. OU's run game and defense are going to jack the conference up IF the passing game comes together. That's an if until proven otherwise though, so here's hoping that Bell can complete the basic passes, because that's all that is needed.

SoonerKnight
9/11/2013, 12:14 PM
I will be very suprised to see Baylor win the conference. Our D may be pretty good so we'll see.

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 06:44 PM
You have to keep in mind who every team has played to this point. For teams like Baylor, we have no idea how good their offense really is (the same can be said for OU's defense, although we've played much better competition):

Baylor (2-0)
Woffard
Buffalo

Iowa State (0-1)
Northern Iowa

Kansas (1-0)
South Dakota

Kansas State (1-1)
North Dakota State
UL-Lafayette

Oklahoma (2-0)
UL-Monroe
West Virginia

Oklahoma State (2-0)
Mississippi State
UTSA

TCU (1-1)
LSU
SE Louisiana

Texas (1-1)
New Mexico State
BYU

Texas Tech (2-0)
SMU
Stephen F Austin

West Virginia (1-1)
William & Mary
Oklahoma

Chuck Bao
9/12/2013, 04:11 AM
At the start of the season, I was expecting the conference championship to be decided on Dec 7 (which should have been the division championship game) and, since it is not, OU will be playing at OSU and Texas will be playing at Baylor. Now, I'm not so sure. Texas has no defense and it doesn't match up well with half of the Big XII teams on either offense or defense. Baylor's defense is still a big question mark because I saw too many times where the Baylor secondary let the Buffalo WR outrun them and then just resort to tackling them for the obvious penalty. OU has no consistent offense or leader and they really need the passing attack to keep up with high-scoring Baylor in Waco (Nov 7). I'm not sure that Baylor can go toe-for-toe with OSU in Stillwater (Nov 23) in a shoot out. The key game of the season will still probably be the bedlam game with Baylor rooting for an upset.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/12/2013, 09:58 AM
Petty is accurate on the deep ball, but RG3 and Florence's ability to run concerned me more. It should also be tougher sledding for Seastrunk this season since OU has decided to field a defensive front along with tackling much better again. I also liked Baylor's receiving corps a little better last season capability wise. I'm glad OU has most of a bye weekend before facing their offense although strange things happen in those Thursday night games.