PDA

View Full Version : OSU Sports Illustrated Article Part 1 - The Money

Judge Smails
9/10/2013, 08:26 AM
Calvin Mickens was elated. The freshman cornerback from Beaumont, Texas, had just appeared in his first college game, Oklahoma State's 2005 season-opening 15-10 home victory over Montana State, and he had performed well, forcing a fumble, breaking up a pass and making two tackles. In the locker room, as Mickens and his teammates shed their gear, a man he had never seen before approached and handed him cash. "I was like, Wow, this is the life!" Mickens says. "I'm 18, playing football, and I just got $200."

Mickens says he received several similar postgame handoffs from other boosters during his first season in Stillwater. After a 62-23 loss at Texas A&M in which he had an interception, Mickens recalls getting $800 in the locker room from a different man. At the time he didn't consider that he was violating NCAA rules. He saw other teammates receiving similar gratuities and assumed they were the perks of playing for a big-time program.

In separate interviews seven other former Cowboys told SI they received cash payments; 29 other OSU players were named by teammates as having also taken money. Those payments, which stretched from 2001 to at least '11, were primarily delivered three ways: a de facto bonus system based on performances on the field, managed by an assistant coach; direct payments to players from boosters and coaches independent of performance; and no-show and sham jobs-- including work related to the renovation of Boone Pickens Stadium -- that involved at least one assistant coach and several boosters. "They figure if a player shines and you pat him on the back in an obtainable way, he's going to do whatever he can to keep getting that paper," says Javius Townsend, a redshirt offensive lineman during the 2010 season, who says he did not take payments but knew of others who did.

Not all Oklahoma State players were rewarded. Former Cowboys who spoke to SI estimated that between 15 and 20 players received money under the table in any given year, meaning that many contributors, including starters, never saw a dime. Why were some paid and not others? Often it was a willingness to request money. Players who sought financial assistance were often directed by teammates or sometimes a member of the coaching staff to a generous benefactor; in some instances they were paid on the spot.

Some players received $2,000 annually and others around $10,000, multiple players told SI; a few stars allegedly received $25,000 or more. Often lost in the discussion about whether college football players should receive more than room, board and a scholarship is that some already are compensated, in violation of NCAA rules. At a school like Oklahoma State the desire to create a national-title contender spawned a widespread bonus program, and it paid dividends: Since 2002 the Cowboys have had 10 winning seasons out of 11, and in 2011 finished No. 3 in the country, the highest final ranking in the program's 111-year history. "It was just like in life when you work," says Thomas Wright, a defensive back from 2002 to '04. "The better the job you do, the more money you make."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130910/oklahoma-state-part-1-money/#ixzz2eUoJvXXU

Landthief 1972
9/10/2013, 08:32 AM
[pokie fan] "But...but...but...why aren't they investigating the SEC, or Baylor?!?"

"The article author is a scumbag who has a personal vendetta against OSU, he's a Gooner homer!!!"

[/pokie fan]

cleller
9/10/2013, 08:39 AM
Tony Casillas mentioned this last night on his show, and I feel the same way:

What on earth makes these guys talk? I'm not condoning what went on at all, its fun to see them squirm; but there's no way I'd talk to SI or anyone else about what I saw or did in this type of situation.

Is SI paying them, too? What's the reward for dishing this stuff?

Monster Zero
9/10/2013, 08:44 AM
"You are aware, of course, that we have certain methods... of making you talk..."

achiro
9/10/2013, 08:55 AM
It does seem strange to me that the payments were supposedly so out in the open and a disgruntled player wouldn't have screamed about it much sooner than this.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 08:57 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4gdooRH0n85ng9JP1bV1mgXBpemhhx fOVKrVusZiPdSlWWR6zWw

MsProudSooner
9/10/2013, 09:16 AM
At the time he didn't consider that he was violating NCAA rules. He saw other teammates receiving similar gratuities and assumed they were the perks of playing for a big-time program.

Is he really that stupid?

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 09:17 AM

He's a POKE! does that answer yer question?

sooneron
9/10/2013, 09:18 AM

Yeah, really, he should have KNOWN that he wasn't at a big time program! :D

Judge Smails
9/10/2013, 09:29 AM
They need to learn you either pay everybody, or nobody.

SoonerStormchaser
9/10/2013, 09:32 AM
I seriously want the death penalty thrown at them!

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 09:39 AM

Why? did their hockey team beat yours ?

badger
9/10/2013, 10:05 AM

Silly German :P

cleller
9/10/2013, 10:08 AM
I heard the entire Holder statement on the radio yesterday. At the beginning he was talking about the conference and said something about how this affects the whole conference/we're all in this together, etc.

Is that why you share all of Boone's cash with the rest of the conference? Nah, Holder, this is all yours.

SoonerStormchaser
9/10/2013, 10:12 AM
Why? did their hockey team beat yours ?

Their idea of hockey is sliding a sheep down the ice then they try to pile drive it, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57jOssjTbWw

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 10:22 AM
Not worried. All of the people that were quoted aside from Shaw, were kicked off for various reasons and have an axe to grind. I was legitimately worried about the article until I actually read it.

And any reporter that tries many times to get in touch with Vernon Grant is a ****-bag anyways.

It'll be bad PR for the next week or so but as far as NCAA infractions go, nothing will happen as there is absolutely no proof.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 10:25 AM
Not worried. All of the people that were quoted aside from Shaw, were kicked off for various reasons and have an axe to grind. I was legitimately worried about the article until I actually read it.

And any reporter that tries many times to get in touch with Vernon Grant is a ****-bag anyways.

It'll be bad PR for the next week or so but as far as NCAA infractions go, nothing will happen as there is absolutely no proof.

At least the SHEEP aint talking yet are they?

badger
9/10/2013, 10:29 AM
Not worried.

Maybe not about NCAA issues, but aren't you in the slightest worried about how former players are speaking about their time at OSU?

Even after we kicked Rhett Bomar off the team, he didn't say anything bad about OU (yet). The biggest complaints from former players we seem to hear is that the team isn't winning enough :)

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 10:29 AM
At least the SHEEP aint talking yet are they?

Our sheep would never betray us!!! We love them too much.

budbarrybob
9/10/2013, 10:33 AM
Proof or guilt. Are you saying former players are disgruntled and would lie or that there is no proof big difference. You seem to be saying both. I read the article and it clearly referenced DeForrest saying he paid players but the compliance office had no record of it. Seems to be a little contradictory.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 10:33 AM

Ur young yet, wait till ya have had 3 ex's then get back to me on how Loyal they be

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 10:40 AM
I hope y'all are happy for electing Obama. He allowed this bull****

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 10:43 AM

Naw, Its all Bush's fault it goes all the way back to his 1st term.

SoonerKnight
9/10/2013, 10:48 AM

They kicked all 60 former players off the team?????????

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 10:52 AM
I read the article and only saw around 10 quoted, and yes those 10 were kicked off.

Some stuff probably did go down but I find it hard to believe when they choose to only quote those with an axe to grind

SoonerKnight
9/10/2013, 10:53 AM
"We'll come to some conclusions and we'll deal with those, prop ourselves back up, polish off that OSU brand and move on down the road." OSU-AD

Thought you could not polish a turd!! LOL!

SoonerKnight
9/10/2013, 10:54 AM
I read the article and only saw around 10 quoted, and yes those 10 were kicked off.

Some stuff probably did go down but I find it hard to believe when they choose to only quote those with an axe to grind

You read part I of a 5 part series and the first article alluded to the fact that he had spoken to 60 former players so as they say........ more to come!

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 11:08 AM
A CB getting paid for an INT in a 40 point loss sounds smart

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 11:09 AM
William Bell got paid while never playing a down, but Rashaun Woods or Kevin Williams never did. Seems legit

Fraggle145
9/10/2013, 11:09 AM
... there is absolutely no proof.

Apparently you dont understand what independently corroborated means.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2013, 11:16 AM
They kicked all 60 former players off the team?????????

Yep - when their eligibility ran out.

badger
9/10/2013, 11:19 AM

Obama gets elected president, Bama gets 3 national championships in football.

Coincidence???

badger
9/10/2013, 11:19 AM

There's smart, and then there's Kmart smart!

Boomer.....
9/10/2013, 11:25 AM

http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50bfea5c171ee.gif

SoonerStormchaser
9/10/2013, 11:36 AM

You mean like all those folks said about Maurice Clarett at tOSU when he narc'd on Tressel and the boosters? Yah, how'd that end up turning out for tOSU?

There's a ****ton of smoke here, and the blaze is starting...I'm gonna get me some marshmallows and enjoy!

SoonerMom2
9/10/2013, 11:37 AM
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50bfea5c171ee.gif

That is the funniest thing I have seen -- way to go! Guess Dexter Manley never happened either. One part has easy classes not meant for graduation, grades changes, and other students doing the word of the football players for grades. This should be enough for OU to split from OSU and go to a decent conference. Want to know how this affects the rest of us -- OSU owns this along with their donors. Remember Gundy is 40+ and he's a man -- own up to what has been happening. Anyone with a brain knew that something was wrong at OSU with only have one or two major donors and they start winning and the media in OKC keeps pumping them up. Next question is how much did the Sports Animal get paid to tout OSU? Just asking because some of the comments are beyond any reasonable explanation as they push OSU and diss OU.

sooneron
9/10/2013, 11:42 AM
http://shedexpedition.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nile-river.jpg

yep

Wishboned
9/10/2013, 11:47 AM

Back then that was a moral victory.

And you might not be worried but your AD and head coach are. And I think I'd put more basis on their feelings than yours.

En_Fuego
9/10/2013, 11:49 AM
"You better keep your mouth shut about all of this"

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/sojourntoeternity/Whatsthis-1.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/sojourntoeternity/media/Whatsthis-1.jpg.html)

sooneron
9/10/2013, 11:51 AM

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/sojourntoeternity/Whatsthis-1.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/sojourntoeternity/media/Whatsthis-1.jpg.html)

Chase Daniels approves...

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 12:01 PM

heh

cvsooner
9/10/2013, 12:14 PM
Naw, Its all Bush's fault it goes all the way back to his 1st term.

And he's from Texas.

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 12:55 PM
Your own Rufus Alexander is saying this article is false

badger
9/10/2013, 01:04 PM

I remember when a crappy police incident ruined his future NFL career. :(

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2013, 01:05 PM

In all fairness, many former OSU players are saying it's false...makes even a die hard Sooner like me wonder where the truth is. I don't normally take pleasure in someone else's misery and certainly not if it's fabricated.

EatLeadCommie
9/10/2013, 01:05 PM

Quoting 10 players previously kicked off the team does give reason for pause, but here are a few things that don't. First, usually it's going to be those disgruntled kids who are willing to go on the record. Second, OSU's response hasn't exactly been denial. Third, this is part 1 of 5.

EatLeadCommie
9/10/2013, 01:06 PM
That is the funniest thing I have seen -- way to go! Guess Dexter Manley never happened either. One part has easy classes not meant for graduation, grades changes, and other students doing the word of the football players for grades. This should be enough for OU to split from OSU and go to a decent conference. Want to know how this affects the rest of us -- OSU owns this along with their donors. Remember Gundy is 40+ and he's a man -- own up to what has been happening. Anyone with a brain knew that something was wrong at OSU with only have one or two major donors and they start winning and the media in OKC keeps pumping them up. Next question is how much did the Sports Animal get paid to tout OSU? Just asking because some of the comments are beyond any reasonable explanation as they push OSU and diss OU.

This is kind of what I was thinking.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/10/2013, 01:15 PM
I love reading my Facebook statuses. All of my Aggie friends are claiming that the author is a liar and taking all OSU narratives as gospel. Don't get me wrong, it is probably about 50/50 true/false, but if I were a fan of a second rate university in my own state, I would be clamoring to any hope I had too.

CincySooner
9/10/2013, 01:18 PM
After reading part 1, and researching the author (Thayer Evans), I'm having a tough time thinking that the story is anything but a hack job. Maybe more will come to light in the following installments, but as of right now, it sounds like a bunch of walk-on and thrid-string nobodies are dispensing quotes for a quick payday.

This Thayer Evans' character seems like one of the slimier reporters in the business, going to far as to obtain an English Comp paper, written by Jamarcus McFarland, but not with McFarland's knowlege, and use excerpts from a class assignment as "quotes" from McFarland.

I'm definately going to read the other installments (I guess the writer accomplished his goal, in that respect :fatigue:), but I'm going to view these articles with a healthy dose of skepticism.

If I were OSU, the best thing to do is deny, deny, deny, and launch your internal investigation. If OSU didn't do anything wrong, then there are no worries. If they DID violate the rules, you can just keep denying, because Evans' credibility is already super-shakey when he writes these smear pieces.

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 01:19 PM
Also Seymore Shaw didn't choose to attend OSU coming out of high school so there is no way he 900 dollars from us in high school. In fact he signed with OU and was there in the fall as a partial qualifier until OU chose James Moses as the partial qualifier. He then wound up at OSU because of that.

Tatum was very adamant about not being contacted by SI when they explicitly state that they did. This should be interesting for sure as seeing how they had 10 months of investigation to write about, part 1 wasn't very good. It turned out much better for OSU than I thought it was going to when I first heard it.

Judge Smails
9/10/2013, 01:20 PM
Classic line from OrangePwr:

"My God, this might be the journalistic crime of the century. Boomer Sooner got to write takedown of Okie State. Unreal"

badger
9/10/2013, 01:25 PM
Well Poke, Jason Whitlock is now slamming Thayer Evans too (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Jason_Whitlock_slams_SI_writer_Thayer_Evans/11-22173). I'm sure that makes you feel better about slamming him as well :les::stunned:[hairGel]

rock on sooner
9/10/2013, 01:26 PM
Even hack job reporters can have a good day. I'm in the group
that thinks there is a fire in amongst all that smoke. The OSU
AD and Gundy are both out in front of it, to their credit. I've
said earlier that a bounty program run by an assistant coach
cannot get by even a Miles, inept as he seems to be, given what
has gone on at LSU. So, it'll be interesting to see the next four
parts of this affair.

cleller
9/10/2013, 01:28 PM
While lots of us are having some fun watching OSU squirm, there's an obvious amount of skepticism, and objectivity being brought up by Sooner fans.

If the shoe were on the other foot, the aggie nation would hurka-hurka-hurka themselves to death gloating.

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2013, 01:32 PM
If the shoe were on the other foot, the aggie nation would hurka-hurka-hurka themselves to death gloating.

Truth!

Soonerjeepman
9/10/2013, 01:35 PM
I honestly could care less, every program has dirty laundry...

the problem is it seems most pokes only think OU has it.

My question is IF this is all make-believe can't OSU sue him? or the guys he says were taking money? I would think he'd be liable for something if not true.

badger
9/10/2013, 01:44 PM
If you all care, they're about to have an SI guy on ESPN Radio. Tune in here if you want. (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=espn)

EDIT: The non-Thayer writer was the one that was getting interviewed. He just finished up. Was saying that the thing that set OSU report apart was the blatancy that the cashflow was flowing. It wasn't hush-hush, he said, but rather, stuffed envelopes et al.

He was also asked about the potential bitterness of ex-players and how that might have impacted their willingness to talk about it now. He said that there may have been some of that, which will be addressed in the "Fallout" part later, how the program just kind of used them up then cast them off.

From the way they sounded, it sounds like the rest of the country is taking this completely different than the state of Oklahoma--- there is not as much skepticism, there's not as much anti-SI, anti-Thayer backlash, there is not as much outrage.

jkjsooner
9/10/2013, 01:57 PM

If it were just one or two former players then I think you might have an argument. The number of guys willing to talk on the record should really concern you.

And don't act surprised that it disgruntled former players who are talking. A guy who has maintained a good relationship with the school probably isn't going to talk. It usually doesn't work that way.

cleller
9/10/2013, 01:57 PM
If you all care, they're about to have an SI guy on ESPN Radio. Tune in here if you want. (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=espn)

Saw this just in time.

Hard to tell from the guy. He didn't unveil any new smoking guns, sounded a little like they were just out looking for a story, and nosed around till they found something. Not earth shaking.

Dohrmann, at least, has pretty good credentials.

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 01:58 PM
That's not from Orangepower. That was tweeted by a national media person this morning when the article dropped.

badger
9/10/2013, 02:00 PM
Saw this just in time.

Hard to tell from the guy. He didn't unveil any new smoking guns, sounded a little like they were just out looking for a story, and nosed around till they found something. Not earth shaking.

Dohrmann, at least, has pretty good credentials.

agree. i would reiterate that the rest of the country seems to have a different response to this investigation.

Landthief 1972
9/10/2013, 02:09 PM
While I agree that using a bunch of scorned former players as primary sources throws up red flags, two things to consider are:

1. The breadth and scope of the allegations are so large; hard to believe that 60 sources would all come forward and flat-out lie.
2. SI, as far as I know, still has an editor who had to approve running the story; said editor wouldn't put his neck out there as well as risk hurting the magazine if he didn't think the article had merit.

Edmond Sooner
9/10/2013, 02:13 PM
While lots of us are having some fun watching OSU squirm, there's an obvious amount of skepticism, and objectivity being brought up by Sooner fans.

Yep - precisely. Further, were this an SI article about OU, Every. Single. Former. 'Disgruntled'. Sooner quoted would be considered 100% credible, while those downplaying or choosing to believe the allegations were false would be dismissed as "gooner homers." I'm actually glad to see Sooner fans going easy on these allegations until either the whole series has ran, or Stoolwater leadership has a chance to answer them in depth, or both. Though I believe the substance of these allegations are probably true, I'm willing to hold up on full-scale pointing and laughing for now.

In the meantime, I can't help but snicker about the desperate flailing around: "Disgruntled players! They only (<--think about that for a second) quoted ten, oops, sixty former players! Rufus Alexander said something somewhere and he used to play for YOU guys, so that proves SI made everything up and every single allegation is a filthy lie! Blah, blah, blah."

[hairGel]:eddie::stunned:

PhilTLL
9/10/2013, 02:17 PM
"Disgruntled/axes to grind" = "You can't believe the word of flipped Mafia members, only loyal ones."

Of course every guy in the good graces of the program is going to close ranks and deny everything. That's one of the oldest rules in the book, the essence of "good ol' boy" and every other type of racket. And I can believe that conspiracy theory much easier than the one about "these 60 disgruntled dudes banded together to bring it all down."

badger
9/10/2013, 02:17 PM
I really hope that this isn't one of the final hurrahs or attempts to be relevant by SI. I was reminded of Newsweek trying to capture some of its 80s political influence by doing yet another "Wimp Factor" cover story last year.

Overall magazine sales are down (airport traffic has been blamed, Internet has been blamed, etc). It's not just an SI thing. A series like this will get the media buzzing, but I don't think there will be longterm returns to former glory.

I really do enjoy the pieces that put out on a weekly basis, and it is nearly always cool to see Sooners make the cover during football season, something which I'm sure Pokes would agree with back in the year when Zac and Dez made back to back SI covers.

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 02:29 PM

I can't blame you for your optimistic view, but this is going to cost OSU.

Look, there's always something fishy about disgruntled players talking to the media, but when this much detail is shared and corroborated between so many ex players, there's fire with that smoke.

I'm not saying every allegation is true, but there are some that seem pretty easy to confirm. For example, the FCA guy that pays players for speaking engagements or odd jobs on his ranch, he admitted to doing that, but said he had cleared it with the OSU office of compliance. The OSU compliance office says they specifically told him not to pay players for speaking engagements, and that they had no knowledge of his hiring players for any reason.

And that's just a small part of the overall story.

I don't doubt that some of it is fabricated, but I believe there is a fair amount that is true. Don't forget, we're talking about Les Miles here.

This isn't just going to go away. I know you want it to, I did too when OU was under the Sport Illustrated magnifying glass. There are some very serious allegations here, and we've only seen a part of what's to come.

If you think this will just disappear, you are being naive.

badger
9/10/2013, 02:36 PM
Boone Pickens is now addressing the SI stuff (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Boone_Pickens_statement_Disappointed_by_SI_series/50-22176).

Like many Poke fans we all know and love, they want to forget the century of OU football dominance over OSU and want you to look at today instead. :stunned:

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 02:47 PM
Boone Pickens is now addressing the SI stuff (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Boone_Pickens_statement_Disappointed_by_SI_series/50-22176).

Like many Poke fans we all know and love, they want to forget the century of OU football dominance over OSU and want you to look at today instead. :stunned:

"don't look at that hospital full of patients burning to the ground, look over here at the new hospital I built, isn't it much better than the one over there, burning to the ground?"

badger
9/10/2013, 02:50 PM
Bone Pick Stadium is a lot nicer than Rustoleum :)

Mac94
9/10/2013, 02:52 PM
Ouch ... that link to Pickens reply won't do oSu any favors ... a few quotes:

"This series is not reflective of Oklahoma State University today. Many of their sensational allegations go back a decade ago.

"There have been wholesale changes at the school in recent years ...

"But I do welcome this scrutiny. If people take the time, it’s an opportunity to better understand where Oklahoma State is today, not a decade ago. It’s a different university today. It’s a better university. If there are areas where we need to improve, we’ll do it.

"Which leads me back to my disappointment with Sports Illustrated, and their failure to ask the most important question of all: What’s happening at OSU today?"

Not a denial of whats reported but a tone of "it isn't happening anymore."

SoonerKnight
9/10/2013, 02:55 PM
So he does not deny it just says he is dissappointed because that does not happen any more. :D

MsProudSooner
9/10/2013, 02:59 PM
Not a denial of whats reported but a tone of "it isn't happening anymore."

So is that going to be the official OSU stand on the issue? Have they asked Pickens what it's OK to say?

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 03:00 PM
8time, I don't expect it to go away, but I also don't think that anything is going to come of it. 6 of the 8 went on radio today and said everything was taken out of context or simply wasn't said. Luckily, SI taped every interview and look forward to seeing that released. Like I said before I find it crazy to think we paid players that never saw the field and yet Paul Duren, Rashaun Woods, or Kevin Williams never received a dime.

Why would SI not even contact Okung or Hunter or even Dez?

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 03:00 PM
The odd thing is that nobody from OSU and/or Pickens' camp is denying anything. They're all trying to divert your attention to "today's" program.

That can't be good.

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 03:06 PM
8time, I don't expect it to go away, but I also don't think that anything is going to come of it. 6 of the 8 went on radio today and said everything was taken out of context or simply wasn't said. Luckily, SI taped every interview and look forward to seeing that released. Like I said before I find it crazy to think we paid players that never saw the field and yet Paul Duren, Rashaun Woods, or Kevin Williams never received a dime.

Well, you could be right (about nothing coming of it), but that's because of the inept ability of the NCAA.

As for contacting guys like Woods or Bryant, nobody in good standing with the university is going to break ranks. That's how it works. Frankly, I would be surprised if anyone like that did speak up about it, they would be cutting off their ties to the school.

Here's the thing, OSU (the school) didn't pay anyone (at least there's no allegations of that happening), it's all about boosters. Why would a booster pay a guy that never saw the field? Who knows. But, that doesn't make it any less likely to have happened. Boosters can be really stupid.

If this is all fabricated, then OSU will be fine. If there is any truth to this, it will be uncovered. Either way, it's going to be a while before we know.

I Am Right
9/10/2013, 03:09 PM

Smoke Blower

SoonerKnight
9/10/2013, 03:12 PM

Oh yeah you really want the recordings of the interviews to come out. You know how many people give interviews and then say oh no I never said that? HA!!

badger
9/10/2013, 03:15 PM

If they wanted to talk, I'm sure SI would listen, but those guys have potential endorsement dealios and their pro careers to worry about. It's hard to put your name and face on a Stillwater billboard for Eskimo Joe's (or whatever else you have up there) if you're talking badly about OSU.

As such, that is why I'm sure there's a lot of denying going on among the OSU pros. Even if they know things are true, do they really want their name associated with this anti-OSU crap?

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 03:30 PM
Just to add a thought:

The SMU scandal was uncovered by one scorned ex-player. Of course SMU was actually paying players as if they were on the payroll, but the point still remains...you can't dismiss a player's testimony just because he has an axe to grind.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 03:35 PM

Yup.

MsProudSooner
9/10/2013, 03:36 PM
If they wanted to talk, I'm sure SI would listen, but those guys have potential endorsement dealios and their pro careers to worry about. It's hard to put your name and face on a Stillwater billboard for Eskimo Joe's (or whatever else you have up there) if you're talking badly about OSU.

As such, that is why I'm sure there's a lot of denying going on among the OSU pros. Even if they know things are true, do they really want their name associated with this anti-OSU crap?

Also, these guys have agents and lawyers telling them exactly what to say.

SoonerStormchaser
9/10/2013, 03:46 PM
One of those quoted was XLK...wanna bet this was the result of him thinking of all the $$ he wasn't gonna get after the OU game?
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/DawnChisholm/xlk.gif

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2013, 03:56 PM

Obama gets elected president, Bama gets 3 national championships in football.

Coincidence???

That's racist!

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2013, 04:01 PM
SI said that they were keeping Thayer's name off the article. And they are saying there were more than just Thayer doing the investigative reporting.

They said something to the affect that they wanted to investigate a school with recent success after have very little previously. They picked OSU.

I think they need to pick Oregon and Baylor as well.

rock on sooner
9/10/2013, 04:04 PM
SI said that they were keeping Thayer's name off the article. And they are saying there were more than just Thayer doing the investigative reporting.

They said something to the affect that they wanted to investigate a school with recent success after have very little previously. They picked OSU.

Duck Dynasty and God fearin Baptists...now THAT'S a pair to draw to!

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 04:13 PM
That's racist!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ueguv35e1qi6a28.gif

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2013, 04:36 PM
That's racist!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ueguv35e1qi6a28.gif

Thanks can't post images on phone. Lol

stoops the eternal pimp
9/10/2013, 04:49 PM

Especially considering the NCAA sanctions that Chip Kelly got into.

REDREX
9/10/2013, 04:50 PM
If OSU gets stuck they will turn everyone else in-----I have seen it happen too many times----You are kidding yourself if you think any program is completely clean

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 04:57 PM
If OSU gets stuck they will turn everyone else in-----I have seen it happen too many times----You are kidding yourself if you think any program is completely clean

This isn't the 1980's, and Hart Lee Dykes isn't involved. This is about things that happened mostly to players while attending OSU, not recruiting violations.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 05:05 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrlbBOplvONbza8oXCpdQ2vCci46XX_ m2DL7poEv0_86mnAROI

SoonerMom2
9/10/2013, 05:10 PM
Dorhmann says that he has Tatum Bell on tape. This after tatum says he didn't talk to SI - That's one player who lied he didn't talk to SI. Not only was he on tape but SI shared what the players had said with the players according to his interview this afternoon. Dorhmann is not some hack and wrote 100% of the story so the idiot media here concentrating on Thayer are going to look really bad when academics, drugs, and throw away players comes out as the week goes on. This rally around the Pokes by our sports talk radio is annoying. Traber admitted that he took money and broke all kinds of NCAA rules when he was at OSU but it was Thayer's fault for this. Thayer BTW is not an OU grad as alleged by Pokes.

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 05:20 PM
Dorhmann says that he has Tatum Bell on tape. This after tatum says he didn't talk to SI - That's one player who lied he didn't talk to SI. Not only was he on tape but SI shared what the players had said with the players according to his interview this afternoon. Dorhmann is not some hack and wrote 100% of the story so the idiot media here concentrating on Thayer are going to look really bad when academics, drugs, and throw away players comes out as the week goes on. This rally around the Pokes by our sports talk radio is annoying. Traber admitted that he took money and broke all kinds of NCAA rules when he was at OSU but it was Thayer's fault for this. Thayer BTW is not an OU grad as alleged by Pokes.

I had never heard of Thayer prior to today, but you'd think he is every Sooner fan's best friend (if you read what most Poke fans think). It's funny how fans want to lynch the author of whatever story indites their school. We just saw this happen with the A&M/autograph incident. What's even better is that most Poke fans (not all) immediately blame or call out OU. This has nothing to do with OU, it's funny that is their initial reaction.

REDREX
9/10/2013, 05:20 PM
This isn't the 1980's, and Hart Lee Dykes isn't involved. This is about things that happened mostly to players while attending OSU, not recruiting violations.----Not just talking about recruiting it goes on in every program----The only questions will be who knew about it and who if anyone in the program was involved----Don't be so naive

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 05:23 PM
----Not just talking about recruiting it goes on in every program----The only questions will be who knew about it and who if anyone in the program was involved----Don't be so naive

Wow, you got that I was naive based on what I wrote. That's a stretch.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that it "does go on at every school". It could, that's a possibility, but I find it hard to believe players at Southeast Missouri State or Colorado State University at Pueblo are getting $200 handshakes in the locker room.

REDREX
9/10/2013, 05:28 PM

Anyway, I'm not so sure that it "does go on at every school". It could, that's a possibility, but I find it hard to believe players at Southeast Missouri State or Colorado State University at Pueblo are getting $200 handshakes in the locker room.---It may not happen in the locker room but don't think players don't get extra benefits from people that think they are helping a program

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2013, 05:31 PM
And to think, all this over just part #1 of a 5 part article. I'm fairly certain SI made sure they had credible sources before this was approved for publication...

King Barry's Back
9/10/2013, 05:46 PM

Real life example: see "Armstrong, Lance"

SoonerMom2
9/10/2013, 05:47 PM
If it goes on all the time in all universities, we wouldn't have players that are having trouble scrapping enough money together by the end of the semester to go out to eat. That is a cop out in my book. We also don't have coaches paying players to work around their homes outside of compliance. Everyone does it doesn't fly with me or most people that can think for themselves.

CowboyMRW
9/10/2013, 05:50 PM
I had never heard of Thayer prior to today, but you'd think he is every Sooner fan's best friend (if you read what most Poke fans think). It's funny how fans want to lynch the author of whatever story indites their school. We just saw this happen with the A&M/autograph incident. What's even better is that most Poke fans (not all) immediately blame or call out OU. This has nothing to do with OU, it's funny that is their initial reaction.

I know that I have seen the Chokie State article and Jamarcus McFarland article here. Those are just two of his articles that are pretty well known and and were later proven to be false.

Dohrmann isn't a hack writer by any stretch. However, he let Thayer do all the research. He didn't even fact check the research afterwards.

The Seymore Shaw bit has already proven to be false. The Talley's don't own any rent houses outside of the one in Broken Bow.

Like I said, SI and anyone that wants to see OSU taken down better hope for a better story to come out tomorrow and Thursday.

tycat947
9/10/2013, 05:53 PM

Great deflection, Booger!

King Barry's Back
9/10/2013, 05:57 PM

Anyway, I'm not so sure that it "does go on at every school". It could, that's a possibility, but I find it hard to believe players at Southeast Missouri State or Colorado State University at Pueblo are getting $200 handshakes in the locker room.

You know, you just never know. Back in the 50s, my dad played Juco ball in Oklahoma. The day after a big game, he was at his locker, and went to put on his shoes -- and found a $50 bill in each shoe. He actually went to the coach and said "coach, someone lost $100!" Coach said, "Shhh, shhh, you can keep that."

He figured out everybody got $100. He was dirt poor and thrilled to get the money.

FWIW.

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2013, 06:05 PM
Dohrmann isn't a hack writer by any stretch. However, he let Thayer do all the research. He didn't even fact check the research afterwards.

Do you honestly believe George Dohrmann (a Pulitzer winner) would risk his reputation & career writing an expose article of this nature without having multiple credible sources and that SI would approve such an article to be published?

SoonerMom2
9/10/2013, 06:36 PM
I am sick and tired of Poke fans stating outright lies. I heard Dohrmann interviewed -- he has the audio and video tapes of some of the Poke players who are saying they were not interviewed. The very idea that someone with Dohrmann's stature would make up things or rely on someone else's investigation is ludicrous. Gets even more ludicrous when you realize that the Pokes are talking about Thayer being an OU grad when he went to college on the Gulf and finished up in OK at some small school not OU. The lies and mistruths being told by Poke fans/players make you wonder how bad this really is. Don't Poke fans realize that the truth will come out and they are going to look like idiots. Dohrmann took down The OSU and Tressel with his investigative journalism and yet we are to believe that he didn't do the leg work just wrote the article because Poke fans said it is all Thayer, the OU Grad. Absolutely stunning to see what is happening.

cvsooner
9/10/2013, 06:50 PM
Sports Illustrated is owned by TimeWarner. What that means is writers have editors, editors have senior editors, senior editors have lawyers and their lawyers have lawyers. This thing would have been spiked if they didn't feel confident in what their investigation concluded. Now how accurate it all is, I can't say, but anybody who thinks this hasn't been thoroughly vetted and approved and reviewed and researched is probably an OSewe fan.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 07:00 PM
Mom. They are just spinning and twisting. Screw em Im enjoying watching em squirm. and Cry " EVERYONE'S DOING IT"

BB37
9/10/2013, 07:06 PM

Exellent comeback, sir!

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 07:10 PM
I know that I have seen the Chokie State article and Jamarcus McFarland article here. Those are just two of his articles that are pretty well known and and were later proven to be false.

The Seymore Shaw bit has already proven to be false. The Talley's don't own any rent houses outside of the one in Broken Bow.

Like I said, SI and anyone that wants to see OSU taken down better hope for a better story to come out tomorrow and Thursday.

I have no interest in OSU athletics, nor do I have any interest in seeing the program "taken down". In fact, an OSU football program weakened by NCAA sanctions hurts the conference. As much as I dislike OSU, I don't want to see the conference weakened any further.

That said, if there is truth to these allegations, then I do want to see OSU punished.

As for the authenticity of the report, there is a time tested fan reaction to those:

Step 1: Denial - Discount every/all allegations.

Step 2: Shock - Realize that there could be fire where there's smoke.

Step 3: Anger - Angry at the players that talked, angry at the coaches that let it happen, angry at the NCAA for finding out.

Step 4: Acceptance - Realize that the allegations happened, and that the punishment isn't going to change.

Step 5: Move on - Nowadays, most sanctions do little to affect the current product, the only real issue is that your school will be the subject of ridicule for the foreseeable future.

You and your fellow Poke fans could skip straight to step 5 and save yourself a lot of heartache. I don't care how many allegations have been dis-proven by Poke fans, I want to see what the NCAA can prove and disprove. There is a lot there for it all to be some conspiracy or shot in the dark by a reputable reporter/editor.

If you and your fellow fans think this is all some smear campaign, then I say (seriously) "whatever helps you sleep tonight". In the end, nobody was "out to get" Oklahoma State. This isn't the first time SI has done this, and it probably won't be the last. But, one thing's for sure, something is/was amiss at OSU. We'll just have to wait and see what's true and what's not.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 07:14 PM
What 8 said
Im just enjoyin the Party.

tulsaoilerfan
9/10/2013, 07:29 PM
Im LMAO at all the Poke fans responses; this is what you get when you choose to associate with crooks like Pickens

tycat947
9/10/2013, 09:02 PM
I am sick and tired of Poke fans stating outright lies. I heard Dohrmann interviewed -- he has the audio and video tapes of some of the Poke players who are saying they were not interviewed. The very idea that someone with Dohrmann's stature would make up things or rely on someone else's investigation is ludicrous. Gets even more ludicrous when you realize that the Pokes are talking about Thayer being an OU grad when he went to college on the Gulf and finished up in OK at some small school not OU. The lies and mistruths being told by Poke fans/players make you wonder how bad this really is. Don't Poke fans realize that the truth will come out and they are going to look like idiots. Dohrmann took down The OSU and Tressel with his investigative journalism and yet we are to believe that he didn't do the leg work just wrote the article because Poke fans said it is all Thayer, the OU Grad. Absolutely stunning to see what is happening.

That group from Stoolwater has the biggest inferiority complex I think I've ever seen from a group! As far as I can remember, every time something negative happens in that sewage, they blame OU or the media, which they think is one and the same. It's just ridiculous!

XingTheRubicon
9/10/2013, 09:06 PM
It takes a pretty special program to outlandishly cheat and suck.

sooneron
9/10/2013, 09:13 PM
I have no interest in OSU athletics, nor do I have any interest in seeing the program "taken down". In fact, an OSU football program weakened by NCAA sanctions hurts the conference. As much as I dislike OSU, I don't want to see the conference weakened any further.

THIS^ The great legislature of Oklahoma decided that we shall always be joined at the hip with those mouthbreathers. We could not bolt for another conference with you and NOW, we are stuck with this. ****ing great!

If all of this is true and you a proven to be wrong, MRW, do you promise never to come back to SF.com? Srsly, stake your posting duties upon the cleanliness of your program as you have been doing thus far...

SoonerMom2
9/10/2013, 09:35 PM
http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/09/10/sis-george-dohrmann-details-how-oklahoma-state-broke-the-rules/ - interview on Dan Patrick Show. They were looking into another program when they kept hearing about OSU and how bad it was. Anyone defending OSU is going to have egg all over their face and I am going to be laughing. An assistant coach actually told the reporter he had been expecting this.

cleller
9/10/2013, 09:42 PM
It is interesting the way the Pokers are going about the excuses and finger pointing at the Thayer guy, rather than examining the actual allegations. Maybe Thayer is a hack; that doesn't mean this stuff didn't occur. Holder, who has to live in the real world, isn't taking that approach. He's bracing folks for a hurricane.

A real Poke-fan would just come out and say "OSU is dirty, just the way I like it!"

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2013, 10:40 PM
---It may not happen in the locker room but don't think players don't get extra benefits from people that think they are helping a program

when I played, I never seen or heard any of my fellow team mates having $$$ handshakes.

and I played back in the high point of this type of behavior!

mhackl
9/10/2013, 10:43 PM
I don't know how much of this is true, but I feel positive the drug testing bit is. I know a former OSU wrestler, and he'd mentioned to me that "We knew when the drug tests were coming" (with a grin) last summer.

SOONER44EVER
9/10/2013, 10:51 PM
Fath' Carter from El Reno has confirmed that everything SI quoted him as saying is true. I guess it's not all a conspiracy of lies!

http://www.newson6.com/story/23398304/former-osu-player-who-talked-to-sports-illustrated-stands-by-his-story?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2013, 10:54 PM
I don't know how much of this is true, but I feel positive the drug testing bit is. I know a former OSU wrestler, and he'd mentioned to me that "We knew when the drug tests were coming" (with a grin) last summer.

Any athlete will know when drug testing is coming. It's not like its a big secret. They don't come at you and say hey, "OU75 you're going to be drug tested on Friday." They come at the team and say the school or conference will be conducting drug tests.

The only time a drug screen is totally secret is if an athlete has failed one in the past.

EatLeadCommie
9/10/2013, 11:10 PM
The bad thing about this is it is pretty much what SMU got the death penalty for. Once SMU got the death penalty, the SWC became irrelevant. The Big XII is already weakened and this is death penalty type stuff. Not good for what is left of the conference at all.

boomersooner24
9/10/2013, 11:42 PM
I don't post here much, but I will say this.

I have a friend that I've been good friends with in high school. He's been an OSU fan his whole life. He went to OSU for athletic training. He was a student trainer for the football team in 2010. He told me years ago about DeForest paying players. He'd yell out what he was going to pay players on the sidelines in the middle of a game! Every single player there knew about the payment system

Read the lost ogle article about this issue. The players who aren't coming clean dont want to be blacklisted by OSU, they dont want to damage their reputation and possibly their careers

CowboyMRW
9/11/2013, 09:12 AM
THIS^ The great legislature of Oklahoma decided that we shall always be joined at the hip with those mouthbreathers. We could not bolt for another conference with you and NOW, we are stuck with this. ****ing great!

If all of this is true and you a proven to be wrong, MRW, do you promise never to come back to SF.com? Srsly, stake your posting duties upon the cleanliness of your program as you have been doing thus far...

If all is proven true then yes, I will never come back, but since the Seymore Shaw bit and Talley house bit has already been proven false, then I think I'm pretty safe.

If OSU was committing academic fraud and understood that the APR could put them on probation, why in the **** would they still not help the guys graduate? We must've been a bunch of retards to change players grades, but keep them off track from graduation so that maybe one day we would postseason ineligible.

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 09:16 AM
If all is proven true then yes, I will never come back, but since the Seymore Shaw bit and Talley house bit has already been proven false, then I think I'm pretty safe.

If OSU was committing academic fraud and understood that the APR could put them on probation, why in the **** would they still not help the guys graduate?
We must've been a bunch of retards to change players grades, but keep them off track from graduation so that maybe one day we would postseason ineligible.

Ya got that part right ! :surprise:

CowboyMRW
9/11/2013, 09:37 AM
You think they just confused OSU for paying players based on Brandon Weeden's social security checks when he was there?

- via Redditt

Boomer.....
9/11/2013, 09:46 AM
You think they just confused OSU for paying players based on Brandon Weeden's social security checks when he was there?

- via Redditt

GOLD!

PrideMom
9/11/2013, 09:49 AM
To CowboyMRW: Please be aware of how stupid you look when you post the OU's football national championships not being recognized by the NCAA. OU did win the 2000 National Championship against Florida State. But then you also call your self "Flaming OSU Fan" so maybe that explains everything.....

But another question, why are you on the Soonerfans chat room? Why not stay home? Every so-called "OSU FAN" are usually just anti-OU people. When asked anything about the OSU program, they don't know. I once met the original Pistol Pete, and I just asked him if he could please tell me the complete words to "Ride, Ride, Ride" and he could not tell me.

tycat947
9/11/2013, 09:52 AM
To CowboyMRW: Please be aware of how stupid you look when you post the OU's football national championships not being recognized by the NCAA. OU did win the 2000 National Championship against Florida State. But then you also call your self "Flaming OSU Fan" so maybe that explains everything.....

But another question, why are you on the Soonerfans chat room? Why not stay home? Every so-called "OSU FAN" are usually just anti-OU people. When asked anything about the OSU program, they don't know. I once met the original Pistol Pete, and I just asked him if he could please tell me the complete words to "Ride, Ride, Ride" and he could not tell me.

Booger has hired him to go on other schools boards to pump up OKLAST's image. It's not working.

Edmond Sooner
9/11/2013, 12:09 PM

I get it now - when I first saw that idiotic signature line by Cowboy I thought it was just sheer trolling, but what she's saying is that before the BCS, there simply was no such thing as a "National Championship" by any college football team in the country. Which, of course, is idiotic, the equivalent of saying college football didn't exist before 1997.

It's a semantics play to make up for the fact that OSU has no national championships in their football program, and likely never will. Petty stuff, but not surprising.

sooneron
9/11/2013, 01:20 PM

- via Redditt

THAT is funny!

CowboyMRW
9/11/2013, 01:20 PM

Soonerfans own Badger came up with that signature after I lost some bet. Every and usually don't go together the way you used them. I could've stayed home today but the barn doesn't have wifi so I came into town today so that I could get internet and see what everyone is saying.

Hell, I couldn't tell you every word to Ride, Ride, Ride. I know 90% of the song, but I always get a verse mixed up. Is that supposed to make me less of a fan? Is coming to an OU site against the rules? I like to see what other schools fans input on different subjects and I like to converse with them. I'm not on here trolling or bashing OU.

badger
9/11/2013, 03:42 PM
Soonerfans own Badger came up with that signature after I lost some bet.

It is the gift that keeps on giving. :)

I am probably going to pay for my little joke should Blake Bell not carry us into OT this year in Stilly :stunned: