PDA

View Full Version : what ifs...

OU_Sooners75
9/9/2013, 12:33 PM
Lol. I know what ifs are, well stupid. But let's play it for a moment. I'm bored!

What if Knight doesn't throw the 2 INTs in the 3rd? And what if our RB and left side pick up the blitz that caused the fumble.

Do we score TDs, FGs, or don't score at all?

The first INT was a good throw, just not a wise decision. But the defender made a heck of an athletic play to grab the ball out of the air. If the ball a thrown about 4 inches taller, it is likely over the defender and a catchable ball by the WR.

The second INT was a poor pass, it was tipped and snagged by a defender. It also happened in the red zone. If that ball falls incomplete, I think we score at least a FG.

The fumble was also in the red zone. Pick up the blocking assignments, and I think we score at least a FG.

Then there is the what if Nelson makes the tackle on the 75 yard TD run by WVU? Do we hold them or does WVU score points?

I think we hold them from scoring, based solely on what the defense did before and after that play.

Anyway, I realize it is all meaningless to post this, but if those mistakes don't happen, it makes the score look worse than what the actual score was.

It's amazing our defense was one play from a second straight shutout. Who honestly would have thought that coming into the season?

All that said, a few bad plays kept the score close. Get 1 TD and 2 FGs, and make one more tackle, the score could have been 29-0. Make the missed FG and we are looking at 32-0.

Point is, OU left at least 16 points on the field. I know it happens and it is how the game played out. But OU was that close.

And if it had happened that way, people wouldn't be all over Knight like they are.

Soonerjeepman
9/9/2013, 12:58 PM
agreed...heck, take the one bad throw on 1st FRICKIN down on the 7...when we ran the ball down their throats...and the boink FG, that's 10...26-7..most of the other big 12 teams...minus bu won by 21...so that's fairly close, but we at least played a decent team.

sooneron
9/9/2013, 01:09 PM
I don't mind playing the what if game, but to me, using the eye test, this team is underwhelming. I'm still not sold on the D.
Yes a shutout of an average mid major and allowing a depleted major conf team for 1 score shows the D can keep its focus, but don't forget, this WVU put up 24 on freaking William & Mary! That's it? I'm sure Dana was holding back on the playbook, but come on! They should be able to execute and score every time out on offense against W&M! They didn't.
Our QBs are not great at slinging the rock. They seem serviceable. We have too much talent at RB and WR to be making WV look like they have a good defense.

Salt City Sooner
9/9/2013, 01:23 PM
Lol. I know what ifs are, well stupid. But let's play it for a moment. I'm bored!

What if Knight doesn't throw the 2 INTs in the 3rd? And what if our RB and left side pick up the blitz that caused the fumble.

Do we score TDs, FGs, or don't score at all?

The first INT was a good throw, just not a wise decision. But the defender made a heck of an athletic play to grab the ball out of the air. If the ball a thrown about 4 inches taller, it is likely over the defender and a catchable ball by the WR.

The second INT was a poor pass, it was tipped and snagged by a defender. It also happened in the red zone. If that ball falls incomplete, I think we score at least a FG.

The fumble was also in the red zone. Pick up the blocking assignments, and I think we score at least a FG.

Then there is the what if Nelson makes the tackle on the 75 yard TD run by WVU? Do we hold them or does WVU score points?

I think we hold them from scoring, based solely on what the defense did before and after that play.

Anyway, I realize it is all meaningless to post this, but if those mistakes don't happen, it makes the score look worse than what the actual score was.

It's amazing our defense was one play from a second straight shutout. Who honestly would have thought that coming into the season?

All that said, a few bad plays kept the score close. Get 1 TD and 2 FGs, and make one more tackle, the score could have been 29-0. Make the missed FG and we are looking at 32-0.

Point is, OU left at least 16 points on the field. I know it happens and it is how the game played out. But OU was that close.

And if it had happened that way, people wouldn't be all over Knight like they are.

Agreed, but I'll add that I think that's a pretty conservative estimate. OU got to at least the WVU 25 yard line 5 times without getting a single point out of any of those possessions.

Pick in the end zone
Pick on the WVU 4
Bester's fumble; recovered at the WVU 18
It was 3rd & 4 from the WVU 25 when Knight gets blindsided & coughs it up
Hunnicutt clangs a 35 yarder

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2013, 01:35 PM
What if's are fun, but my feeling that TK is not ready would stand even if the turnovers did not happen and we beat WVU soundly on the scoreboard. I've seen guys starting too early and the experience turned into a negative instead of development. No way to really know that except in hindsight. And it may certainly be the case we have limited alternatives. I never expected this year's team to be elite, but it is frustrating to see they are better than I expected in many ways except the QB position. But that's life in the fast lane.

Wishboned
9/9/2013, 01:41 PM
What if Godzilla stormed into the stadium and Bell jumped on his back and rode him like a stallion?

David Earl
9/9/2013, 03:09 PM
What if Godzilla stormed into the stadium and Bell jumped on his back and rode him like a stallion?

Can't happen.

Bell's can't quite jump that high.

Other than that...

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2013, 03:10 PM
If "but's" were "and's" and "and's" were "but's", the whole world would be an a*s.

Wishboned
9/9/2013, 03:20 PM
Can't happen.

Bell's can't quite jump that high.

Other than that...

Bell has so much leadership potential Godzilla would bend down to pick him up.

David Earl
9/9/2013, 03:33 PM
Bell has so much leadership potential Godzilla would bend down to pick him up.

Dude. There is no known retort to such logic and wisdom.

You truly speak as one of the ancient ones.

oudanny
9/9/2013, 03:55 PM
What if WVU doesn't rough the punter, or fumble the punt,or the receiver running wild doesn't fumble at the 15.
Be happy that we won. It could have been a lot closer too.

stoopified
9/9/2013, 04:45 PM
What if Godzilla stormed into the stadium and Bell jumped on his back and rode him like a stallion?Yee hae,I'd pay to watch that rodeo.

I'll add my own what if: What if Bell goes on to have a monster game vs. Tulsa? Does AK get Wally Pipped?

Curly Bill
9/9/2013, 05:02 PM
Bell would rip Godzilla's tiny little arms off and beat him with em!

SoonerorLater
9/9/2013, 05:40 PM
Yee hae,I'd pay to watch that rodeo.

I'll add my own what if: What if Bell goes on to have a monster game vs. Tulsa? Does AK get Wally Pipped?

Yes. I don't think it even requires a monster game.

8timechamps
9/9/2013, 06:51 PM
If grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa.

OUmillenium
9/9/2013, 07:05 PM
If Mack Brown...nevermind...Mack you are doing a great job!

We definitely left points out there. I hope Bell gets it done.

BigTip
9/9/2013, 07:19 PM
Playing what ifs is not a bad thing. Stoops was doing it, in different words, at the post game presser.

The game would be a good subject for a competitive debate competition. One side could defend that we suck, the other side could find all the good. There were lots of examples that could be used for both arguments.

yermom
9/9/2013, 07:37 PM
who is really down on Knight?

i think at least one of the picks was when he was hurt. he probably shouldn't have even been playing at that point

achiro
9/9/2013, 07:53 PM
Is the first interception the one in the end zone? If so, go back and watch it,from what I remember even if the defender hadn't been able to jump and snag it, it was thrown behind the receiver. If he had led the receiver in stride it would have been a td or at worst a dropped pass. It was a bad throw.

Judge Smails
9/9/2013, 08:08 PM
If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their azzes when they jumped.