PDA

View Full Version : Oh. Dear. God.

Ruf/Nek7
9/8/2013, 10:20 PM
I hope to God this is a bunch of BS and people are pranking this ish out of college football fans everywhere.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2013/9/8/4708644/breaking-saban-headed-to-texas

panhandlesooner
9/8/2013, 10:29 PM
lol

Sooner Eclipse
9/8/2013, 10:32 PM
Under strict condition of anonymity, sources close to the Alabama program have confirmed that Saban is in fact ticketed on a flight to Texas in the latter part of the week.

I love this part. Like he doesn't have a game this weekend in texas.

agoo758
9/8/2013, 10:59 PM
Article is obviously rediculous, but I am fully expecting Texas to try to go after him again.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 11:39 PM
And knowing Saban's greed, he would take it if the price is right. Likely $6-7million range.

EatLeadCommie
9/9/2013, 12:08 AM
Not scared in the least.

achiro
9/9/2013, 07:25 AM
I'm in the, "no way in hell he goes to Texas" camp but if he plays his cards right and gets the two schools into a bidding war, he could end up a brazillionaire...

Mac94
9/9/2013, 07:40 AM
Can you see Saban dealing with the media entanglements the Longhorn job requires? lol

oudanny
9/9/2013, 07:55 AM
Now that's funny.

jkjsooner
9/9/2013, 07:55 AM
I don't see why Saban would go anywhere considering the way he has things rolling in Bama.

That being said, he's never been one to stick around at one place very long. I could see him being the type of guy who wants to prove that he can win a national title at 3 different schools.

Anyway, I don't buy it. If he did end up at Texas I'd say bring it on. It's not like we'd lose too many recruits as Texas pretty much gets what they want anyway and I'd love the opportunity for OU to play against his team every year.

swardboy
9/9/2013, 08:17 AM
Why face Bob Stoops annually when all you have to do is get in nutcase Miles head?

BigTip
9/9/2013, 08:35 AM
This is not the first I have heard of this.
Pie in the sky dreaming maybe, but Texass has the cash to make it happen.

badger
9/9/2013, 08:38 AM
This is not the first I have heard of this.
Pie in the sky dreaming maybe, but Texass has the cash to make it happen.

I don't believe that Alabama wouldn't sell their state capitol to make Saban stay. Texas might have money, but Bammer would make Nick Saban lord and dictator of the state before they let him leave

Mac94
9/9/2013, 08:42 AM
but Bammer would make Nick Saban lord and dictator of the state before they let him leave

thought he already was ;)

BigTip
9/9/2013, 08:48 AM
I don't believe that Alabama wouldn't sell their state capitol to make Saban stay. Texas might have money, but Bammer would make Nick Saban lord and dictator of the state before they let him leave

This made me laugh out loud.
Because it's true! lol

SoonerinSouthlake
9/9/2013, 08:57 AM
As much as I love to see whorns lose and love beating them. Having them back up in the top 10 be good for the Big (12) all the way around.

badger
9/9/2013, 09:10 AM
thought he already was ;)

The state has Auburn in it too, but I think SEC loyalty would cause even Magnolia Aggies to secede power to their big brother's best interests.

As successful as Nick has been at Bammer, I don't think it would be in Texas' best interests to hire him on for $10 million a season or whatever, or for any number for that matter. Constant coaching changes have not worked for any coach for a variety of reasons. Urban Meyer suffered personal burnout, Dennis Franchione had to take a giant step backwards after going one coaching vacancy too far, and Todd Graham is probably on the verge of getting football karma'd too.

Even Nick himself made a coaching vacancy mistake --- the NFL --- which leads me to think that Bama is his final destination.

Mac94
9/9/2013, 09:32 AM
The state has Auburn in it too Eh ... think of them like the Kurds of Iraq under Saddam ... an area of limited autonomy while falling inside the dictators boarders. ;)

When the time comes I think Texas will end up going after either Briles or Gary Patterson. I think they'll want a younger guy with more years left in him AND a guy that has alot of ties to Texas high schools.

badger
9/9/2013, 09:40 AM
Eh ... think of them like the Kurds of Iraq under Saddam ... an area of limited autonomy while falling inside the dictators boarders. ;)

Why was the first thing in my mind the fact that Auburn got its trees poisoned, while Saddam poisoned the Kurds too :(

When the time comes I think Texas will end up going after either Briles or Gary Patterson. I think they'll want a younger guy with more years left in him AND a guy that has alot of ties to Texas high schools.

Or, they can just take Kevin Sumlin. :rcmad:

Mac94
9/9/2013, 09:48 AM
Or, they can just take Kevin Sumlin.

Not no but %&*!@#%&*!@!$& NO!!!!! ;) Do you all really want to see Sumlin in burnt orange facing off against OU every year in Dallas?

badger
9/9/2013, 09:54 AM
I just wanted to see you go full-on aggie. I really think that Sumlin is auditioning for an NFL job this year, much like Johnny. The difference is that Sumlin will actually get an NFL job

Mac94
9/9/2013, 10:12 AM
Could happen ... although I think Sumlin in the NFL is a two part equation .. first ... how A&M goes ... second, how Chip Kelly does in Philadelphia. If Kelly flops then the proliferation of the hurry up spread in the NFL may slow down quite a bit and dampen the demand for a coach like Sumlin. If Kelly thrives, well ... it'll be interesting.

KantoSooner
9/9/2013, 11:27 AM
Sumlin won't get offered the Texas job for the very succinct reason that Texas will never hire a black head coach. It's just that simple and antediluvian.

Sooners78
9/9/2013, 12:48 PM
With the setup he has, why would he leave? Finishing 2nd in the SEC West guarantees him a chance to play for the national championship every year.

jkjsooner
9/9/2013, 01:47 PM
The state has Auburn in it too, but I think SEC loyalty would cause even Magnolia Aggies to secede power to their big brother's best interests.

As successful as Nick has been at Bammer, I don't think it would be in Texas' best interests to hire him on for $10 million a season or whatever, or for any number for that matter. Constant coaching changes have not worked for any coach for a variety of reasons. Urban Meyer suffered personal burnout, Dennis Franchione had to take a giant step backwards after going one coaching vacancy too far, and Todd Graham is probably on the verge of getting football karma'd too.

Even Nick himself made a coaching vacancy mistake --- the NFL --- which leads me to think that Bama is his final destination.

The only transition that didn't work out well was the one to the NFL. His MSU->LSU and NFL->Bama transitions worked out just fine. I think Saban will be fine no matter what he does.

OUinFLA
9/9/2013, 02:04 PM
I'm in the, "no way in hell he goes to Texas" camp but if he plays his cards right and gets the two schools into a bidding war, he could end up a brazillionaire...

There is no way he is moving to South America

mhackl
9/9/2013, 02:08 PM
Saban has nothing to gain by leaving Bama. Texas is no Alabama. They think they are, but they are certainly not.

More of that we're special talk on the Shaggybeave

I have said this for a while. We are Texas and shouldn't think like a regular program. It's time to go NFL and hire a big name CEO to run the machine, LHN, and deal with the $#@!ing big boosters (at this point they are needed less than ever and have been a big part of this problem. UT has already won the money game, no improvement needed there, and the printing presses are already on) then we hire a game day coach for you know, game days. I propose Leach or Briles, and an equally big DC. Run this like a franchise, which it is that big of an operation.

Wishboned
9/9/2013, 02:22 PM
We are Texas and shouldn't think like a regular program.

That shouldn't be hard. They don't even think like regular people.

mainline13
9/9/2013, 07:49 PM
Sumlin won't get offered the Texas job for the very succinct reason that Texas will never hire a black head coach. It's just that simple and antediluvian.

Sumlin is black? I guess I knew that, but it never really registered.

About Texas, though, you are most likely correct.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2013, 08:15 PM
Sumlin is black? I guess I knew that, but it never really registered.

About Texas, though, you are most likely correct.

Credit where credit is due. Texas starting allowing black players in time to snag Earl Campbell away from Switzer. But you can't expect them jump from that to hiring a black head coach. That was only 40 years ago; these things take time!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/10/2013, 08:19 PM
As much as I love to see whorns lose and love beating them. Having them back up in the top 10 be good for the Big (12) all the way around.hope it's not contagious. you have a brain disease.

9/10/2013, 08:24 PM
I just wanted to see you go full-on aggie. I really think that Sumlin is auditioning for an NFL job this year, much like Johnny. The difference is that Sumlin will actually get an NFL jobChizik to aTm, and Macky to stay at the whorns...or, whorns could do a straight up swap with usuc for head coaches.

MyT Oklahoma
9/10/2013, 08:27 PM
Credit where credit is due. Texas starting allowing black players in time to snag Earl Campbell away from Switzer. But you can't expect them jump from that to hiring a black head coach. That was only 40 years ago; these things take time!

UT = the last all white National Champions (1969).

badger
9/19/2013, 04:09 PM
Who would have thought, this story is now making internet rounds (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Texas_regent_talked_to_Nick_Sabans_agent/20130919_231_0_AUSTIN800687?subj=298):

AUSTIN, Texas — A few days after Alabama won the 2013 national championship, a University of Texas regent and a former regent talked with Nick Saban's agent about the possibility of the Crimson Tide coach replacing Longhorns coach Mack Brown, The Associated Press has learned.

Regent Wallace Hall of Dallas told the AP he spoke by telephone with agent Jimmy Sexton a few days after the Jan. 7 game. Tom Hicks, a former regent who is the brother of current Regent Steve Hicks, also was on the call. Tom Hicks, the former owner of the Texas Rangers, the Dallas Stars and the English professional soccer team Liverpool, was a regent in 1997 when Brown came to Texas and was instrumental in hiring him away from North Carolina.

Two days after the call with Sexton, Tom Hicks met with Brown over lunch and told him about the call, according to several people who spoke with the AP. He asked Brown if he was ready to retire.

Brown, who had just finished his 15th season at Texas, said he wanted to keep coaching and the matter was dropped.

It also reveals why Mack has such solid footing, if you all hadn't heard --- one of Texas' largest donors is a billionaire lawyer, who also happens to be Mack's lawyer. :mack: Hook em

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2013, 05:26 PM
Who would have thought, this story is now making internet rounds (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Texas_regent_talked_to_Nick_Sabans_agent/20130919_231_0_AUSTIN800687?subj=298):

It also reveals why Mack has such solid footing, if you all hadn't heard --- one of Texas' largest donors is a billionaire lawyer, who also happens to be Mack's lawyer. :mack: Hook em

This story should be enough to ignite another meltdown thread on shaggy. "We could have had Saban if Mack would have moved his fat *** aside?! "

I'm actually developing 6 pack abs this year from laughing at meltdown threads. If the horns go 5-7 again, I'll be a babe magnet.

Curly Bill
9/19/2013, 05:46 PM
As much as I love to see whorns lose and love beating them. Having them back up in the top 10 be good for the Big (12) all the way around.

I'm an OU fan, I could give a crap about the rest of the Big 12, and I've never understood that line of thinking. Sounds very...SEC-ish.

BoulderSooner79
9/19/2013, 05:56 PM
I'm an OU fan, I could give a crap about the rest of the Big 12, and I've never understood that line of thinking. Sounds very...SEC-ish.

I feel the same way. But I can see the argument that it impacts our recruiting, but that's hard to prove. The Carroll USC teams did fine in a very weak PAC10 as far as national recognition goes - everyone still knew they were elite.

9/19/2013, 06:34 PM
I feel the same way. But I can see the argument that it impacts our recruiting, but that's hard to prove. The Carroll USC teams did fine in a very weak PAC10 as far as national recognition goes - everyone still knew they were elite.We gotta grow like we have in the past, and like the bamer has recently, (due to superb performance)

ie we don't have hollywood nor the ocean to aid us.

IDGAS that any non-Sooner team ever wins another game, but I certainly do prefer Mack as whorn coach over Saban.

8timechamps
9/19/2013, 06:35 PM
The way the conference is viewed is going to become more important with the start of the play-offs. With only 4 teams making the cut, there will be some conference affiliation affect involved.

Having Texas suck, while fun, does give the conference a black eye. But, the reality is, if OU win's all their games, it doesn't matter how bad Texas (or any other member) sucks.

sendbaht
9/19/2013, 06:58 PM
It would just give him a raise from the Bama folks.

SoonerPride
9/20/2013, 04:06 AM
Espin quoted Satan saying "he was too old at this point to start over someplace new."

Scott D
9/20/2013, 05:18 AM
I don't see why Saban would go anywhere considering the way he has things rolling in Bama.

That being said, he's never been one to stick around at one place very long. I could see him being the type of guy who wants to prove that he can win a national title at 3 different schools.

Anyway, I don't buy it. If he did end up at Texas I'd say bring it on. It's not like we'd lose too many recruits as Texas pretty much gets what they want anyway and I'd love the opportunity for OU to play against his team every year.

His legacy is important to him now. It would have to take an awful lot for him to leave Tuscaloosa. People underestimate Belichek's influence on Saban.

badger
9/20/2013, 08:25 AM
Espin quoted Satan saying "he was too old at this point to start over someplace new."

That's what Lon Kruger probably said before we offered even more money :)

thecrimsoncrusader
9/20/2013, 08:30 AM
Not no but %&*!@#%&*!@!$& NO!!!!! ;) Do you all really want to see Sumlin in burnt orange facing off against OU every year in Dallas?

I don't think anyone in their right mind should wear orange of any kind.

Zin
9/20/2013, 08:34 AM
Here is the thing, texas is suck. Saban wouldn't bring texas up, texas would bring him down.

Wishboned
9/20/2013, 09:01 AM

Well that's it then. He's going to Texas.

cherokeebrewer
9/20/2013, 09:20 AM
Afraid of Satan...maybe. Afraid of Saban...nope!

9/20/2013, 12:20 PM
Espin quoted Satan saying "he was too old at this point to start over someplace new."Back when he was in the pro coaching job, he was asked if he would take the Alabama job, and he unequivocally said NO. IMO he just doesn't like to be badgered, and will say such things in order to be left alone.

Jacie
9/20/2013, 12:26 PM
If he really wants to be left alone, Austin is the last place he should go . . .

badger
9/20/2013, 01:00 PM
If he really wants to be left alone, Austin is the last place he should go . . .

Longhorn Network: And now, welcome to the Nick Saban show!

Nick Saban: :mad:

Longhorn Network: Up next, ALL ACCESS TEXAS FOOTBALL where our cameras show team meetings, practices and coaching!

Nick Saban: :mad:

Longhorn Network: **** it, we just lost again, so here's our volleyball team

Piware
9/20/2013, 01:05 PM
Don't think Saban would even seriously consider it. He can be the next Bear Bryant and knows it.

9/20/2013, 01:11 PM
Don't think Saban would even seriously consider it. He can be the next Bear Bryant and knows it.If he went to tx, that would scare the bejebus out of the eaTme folks, and Saban could win a NC there in 2, maybe 3 yrs max.(IMHO)

He could tie or pass Fielding Yost for most ever NC's. Of course, he could do that at bamer, too.

badger
9/20/2013, 01:18 PM
Don't think Saban would even seriously consider it. He can be the next Bear Bryant and knows it.

He's certainly made his rounds in the coaching market like Bear, hasn't he.

Scott D
9/20/2013, 06:23 PM

one could argue he wants to surpass Bear Bryant.

8timechamps
9/20/2013, 06:55 PM
I think it's pretty clear Saban isn't going anywhere.

While Texas may be the best job in the country, whomever gets the gig is walking into a mess. Just the way I like it!