PDA

View Full Version : so I have watched the first quarter...

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:14 PM
And this is what I saw from Knight:

Trevor knight went 3/8 passing in the first quarter.

Of the 5 incomplete passes, two should have been called PI. One was a bad throw, and one was a drop. And one was a brilliant decision to throw to back of end zone.

Also in the first, OU ran the read option twice. It averaged 12 yards. They ran the bubble screen 2 times. Both times it was executed correctly. Once we're Shepard tripped over the grass and the other a drop.

First quarter grade for Knight: B-

BTW, Knight's 9th pass attempt was a touchdown pass early in second quarter.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:31 PM
The second quarter was much the same as the first.

Trevor had a few bad passes, some good decisions. Has a few completions. He has a couple turnovers as well.

A couple more read options for an average of 10 yards.

Second quarter grade for Knight: C-

Guys, watching this play in slow motion and stopping each play, he isn't doing to bad.

I just think the game is going to fast for him right now. Which is expected or the average first year starter.

Just watching the first half, I would start Knight again against Tulsa and see if it actually comes together.

I haven't broke down the second half and likely wont tonight.

Mazeppa
9/8/2013, 09:34 PM
What would you grade him if he only had 2 imcomplete passes? And he ran the read option 4 times and averaged 19 yards. Then he ran the bubble screen 5 times but executed those incorrectly? And just for the fun of it lets say he didn't throw for a touchdown. What grade would that be?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 09:37 PM
this is soonerfans, QBs don't get higher than a B+

Mazeppa
9/8/2013, 09:37 PM

Trevor had a few bad passes, some good decisions. Has a few completions. He has a couple turnovers as well.

Guys, watching this play in slow motion and stopping each play, he isn't doing to bad.

I just think the game is going to fast for him right now. Which is expected or the average first year starter.

Just watching the first half, I would start Knight again against Tulsa and see if it actually comes together.

Do the good decisions outway the few bad passes? And how do the turnovers figure in?

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:38 PM
What would you grade him if he only had 2 imcomplete passes? And he ran the read option 4 times and averaged 19 yards. Then he ran the bubble screen 5 times but executed those incorrectly? And just for the fun of it lets say he didn't throw for a touchdown. What grade would that be?

I'm grading what I saw. Not hypothetically. For what he was asked to do, he did well the first half. Yes there were some mistakes made but over time those mistakes are correctable.

Also I noticed a change in play calling half way through the 2nd quarter. The passing plays were pocket passes not like what I saw in the fist 20 minutes of the game where they were rolling him out and giving him an option. WVU was respecting his ability to run on the roll outs so it made it easier for him to throw.

8timechamps
9/8/2013, 09:40 PM
75, if you get a chance, can you tally up the incompletions that were not Knight's fault (dropped passes) and the turnovers? It would be interesting to know what that looks like.

As far as the passing game, OU couldn't have done much else wrong. Whether it's Bell or Knight, you have to expect better play going forward....right?

Mazeppa
9/8/2013, 09:41 PM
I'm just trying to get a sense of the grading system you are using.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:41 PM

Do the good decisions outway the few bad passes? And how do the turnovers figure in?

This first turnover was due to a missed block and he got hit from his blindside. Kind of hard to fault him really. His fault was he pumped faked once.

The other turnover wasnt him. It was actually that of Bester after a catch and not securing the ball.

Turnovers weigh heavy, if they are **** poor decisions.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:45 PM
Mazeppa, I understand.

I'm grading simply based on my opinions and how I would grade my own players. Was the play executed well? Was the play just poor decision making, etc etc.

If I have more time this week, ill break each pass play down completely from what I saw. Idk if ill have that time or not. Working two jobs and coaching takes a lot if my time right now.

Mazeppa
9/8/2013, 09:49 PM
So it's an opinion thing?

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:50 PM
Also, from what I saw the first half, if he can slow the speed of the game down in his mind, he will be a very good asset for OU.

The kid has all the tools and has a major upside.

That said, again, I would start him against Tulsa just to see if it finally clicks. If he continues to struggle with reads and those mistakes are still there, then IMO, it would be time to to sit him.

Between game one and two you should see improvement. I saw some. Between game two and three you should see a marked improvement.

Again, start him in game three. Give him ample time to see if he has it this year. By half time against Tulsa we all should know if he has it or not.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:54 PM
So it's an opinion thing?

All grading from coaches to spectators are based on opinions. There is no exact science for it.

I thought bell graded a A- for handing off the ball. Would have been an A+ had he completed his pass!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 09:55 PM
This first turnover was due to a missed block and he got hit from his blindside. Kind of hard to fault him really. His fault was he pumped faked once.

The other turnover wasnt him. It was actually that of Bester after a catch and not securing the ball.

wasn't that a curl & go? how is it his fault for doing the route correctly?

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 09:57 PM

wasn't that a curl & go? how is it his fault for doing the route correctly?

Do what? The fumble wasnt Knights fault, I think I said as much.

The fumble was because Bester didn't secure the ball at the end of his run.

Mazeppa
9/8/2013, 10:04 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/x2oweq.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 10:05 PM

You said it was his fault he pump faked. That is what you do on a XXX & go to get the safety to bite.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 10:13 PM

You said it was his fault he pump faked. That is what you do on a XXX & go to get the safety to bite.

Read much? I said the only thing he did wrong was pump fake, ie held the ball too long.

The fumble wasnt really his fault. He got blindsided and hard. The entire left side and RB didn't pick up a sole on that play!

8timechamps
9/8/2013, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure which play you guys are referencing, but in Stoops post game press conference, he mentioned that the play (in the Red Zone) that Knight got sacked and fumbled was because the receiver didn't run his route, and was "standing there instead of running the rest of the route".

So, I'd say the "blame" would be 50/50. The receiver for not running the correct route, and Knight for not throwing the ball away.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure which play you guys are referencing, but in Stoops post game press conference, he mentioned that the play (in the Red Zone) that Knight got sacked and fumbled was because the receiver didn't run his route, and was "standing there instead of running the rest of the route".

So, I'd say the "blame" would be 50/50. The receiver for not running the correct route, and Knight for not throwing the ball away.

That would be the play. The fumble happened because he got nailed. And watching that play, the RB, Finch didn't pick up the end. And the left guard and tackle blocked no one.

8timechamps
9/8/2013, 10:20 PM
That would be the play. The fumble happened because he got nailed. And watching that play, the RB, Finch didn't pick up the end. And the left guard and tackle blocked no one.

Huepel and Stoops both mentioned it after the game. Apparently the route had an option, and based on the way the play developed, the WR is supposed to take the route deep. Knight was supposed to check through his reads, and dump the ball, he just held it too long. That play was just weird. The defense even looked a little confused when Knight held the ball.

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 10:38 PM

I looked at what I think was the play in question. The safety just pretty much comes in unblocked. Not exactly sure what receiver Stoops is referencing, maybe Shepard. It looks like he just didn't have time to sell the fake then go.

SouthFortySooner
9/8/2013, 10:44 PM
I respect your opinion. If I may pose mine, as I am just so very happy to have every one of those slow motion plays to watch. I love Sooner football. I foam at the mouth during the games. I pace, moan, I scream in delight and anguish.

However, with all my opinion and emotion I am certain I can't change a thing happening. Its pure entertainment. And likewise so is Soonerfans.com. I am happy, cause we won.

birddog
9/8/2013, 10:44 PM
I'm just trying to get a sense of the grading system you are using.

depends on if he OUTWEIGHS the whatnots, and what have you's

bluedogok
9/8/2013, 10:49 PM
That was the main thing that I noticed on that play.

SoonerKnight
9/9/2013, 12:20 AM
Knight is young he has true talent and will get us there. White was not that great when he started. In 2003 imthoughtnall crap he is starting and then bam played like he should have. Luckily Bell is a good backup. Should be fine with Bell in there.

EatLeadCommie
9/9/2013, 12:27 AM
Let's quit making excuses. The kid had a bad game. The fumble and the INTs were all his fault. He will learn, but he isn't ready yet. I do think he has enormous potential. The team and the crowd just responds to BB. It is his team now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/9/2013, 12:52 AM
Let's quit making excuses. The kid had a bad game. The fumble and the INTs were all his fault. He will learn, but he isn't ready yet. I do think he has enormous potential. The team and the crowd just responds to BB. It is his team now.

The crowd? Yes. The team? That is up in the air.

For the record, I don't have a horse in this race. I think they are both equally entrenched in the "project" category. The problem I see is that neither one of these QBs has shown that with no pressure they can hit a guy in the numbers in stride consistently. With both of them I feel like we have a sort of runner that can sort of throw and I'm not used to seeing that from a Stoops team. It is like we've channeled our inner Wisconsin.

OU_Sooners75
9/9/2013, 02:00 AM

There are no excuses being made.

It is simply a rundown of the first and second quarters. He really didn't play that bad. And this is coming from a Bell fan. I have been one ever seeing Bell play in high school.

That said no excuses, his play in the 3rd was bad. But his first quarter play and his second quarter play wasnt as bad as the couch potatoes and Monday quarterbacks want to believe.

Fraggle145
9/9/2013, 08:36 AM
The crowd? Yes. The team? That is up in the air.

For the record, I don't have a horse in this race. I think they are both equally entrenched in the "project" category. The problem I see is that neither one of these QBs has shown that with no pressure they can hit a guy in the numbers in stride consistently. With both of them I feel like we have a sort of runner that can sort of throw and I'm not used to seeing that from a Stoops team. It is like we've channeled our inner Wisconsin.

HEY THIS ISNT THE BAND THREAD!!! :mad::mad::mad:

cvsooner
9/9/2013, 12:42 PM
Looks to me like Knight injured his elbow or arm or something too. I don't recall him starting the game with a long sleeve on and then there it was. As warm as it was that had to be for support or compression or something.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2013, 12:50 PM
The crowd cheered louder! That's our guy!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2013, 12:51 PM
How about the band..Did they play louder when he came in? Because that makes a difference in handing off the ball.

Soonerjeepman
9/9/2013, 12:54 PM
Looks to me like Knight injured his elbow or arm or something too. I don't recall him starting the game with a long sleeve on and then there it was. As warm as it was that had to be for support or compression or something.

tv guys said middle finger on right hand...I thought...I was tired from being outside at baseball all day and was watching the divo'd version.

edit:..lol yes, I saw that as well...didn't start the game with the sleeve..

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2013, 12:55 PM
It's not like this was a competition between 2 freshman. It's a guy who is a redshirt freshman going against a guy who has been on campus for 4 seasons..A guy who played a lot the last 2 years but they've seen enough of him that they did not want him throwing the ball.

cvsooner
9/9/2013, 01:05 PM
tv guys said middle finger on right hand...I thought...I was tired from being outside at baseball all day and was watching the divo'd version.

edit:..lol yes, I saw that as well...didn't start the game with the sleeve..

Thanks. I missed that somehow.

olevetonahill
9/9/2013, 01:11 PM
It's not like this was a competition between 2 freshman. It's a guy who is a redshirt freshman going against a guy who has been on campus for 4 seasons..A guy who played a lot the last 2 years but they've seen enough of him that they did not want him throwing the ball.

Thank you STEP. Ive been saying that same thing.

Rogue
9/9/2013, 09:49 PM
I agree with JKM here, neigher guy has really broken out as a passer. BB is a beast on short runs and TK has some serious speed. Knight seems to be able to do things in practice that he hasn't done at game speed so far. His last throw was great, IMO. BB's attitude really impressed me through this competition.

8timechamps
9/9/2013, 09:53 PM
How about the band..Did they play louder when he came in? Because that makes a difference in handing off the ball.

My beer tasted colder, and when I was petting my dog (after Bell came in), he just felt softer.

Curly Bill
9/9/2013, 09:56 PM
My TV screen actually brightened when Bell came in - damndest thing?!?!

picasso
9/24/2013, 09:09 PM
Knight is young he has true talent and will get us there. White was not that great when he started. In 2003 imthoughtnall crap he is starting and then bam played like he should have. Luckily Bell is a good backup. Should be fine with Bell in there.

This is such BS.
I see great potential but right now he can't hold Jason White's jock and it's an unfair comparison.
Go back and watch a Redshirt frosh White play flawless football in the 2001 RRS.

Curly Bill
9/24/2013, 09:42 PM
I'm not totally giving up on Knight, but if I never see him play another down of Sooner football, I won't feel that I've missed out on something either.

OkieThunderLion
9/25/2013, 12:13 AM
This is such BS.
I see great potential but right now he can't hold Jason White's jock and it's an unfair comparison.
Go back and watch a Redshirt frosh White play flawless football in the 2001 RRS.
Exactly.

White got thrown into duty in the Cotton Bowl. Knight couldn't handle his own nerves against Monroe. Though TK can certainly outgrow that.

birddog
9/25/2013, 01:19 PM
I'm gonna go with kt only cause he hasn't played yet.

Temujin
9/25/2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not totally giving up on Knight, but if I never see him play another down of Sooner football, I won't feel that I've missed out on something either.

See, I like some things I saw from Knight, personally. Some of his middle and long throws were beautifully placed. Most of the throws he missed were short throws, which indicates nervousness. That's a concern if it continues. The other issue is some indecision, which you can attribute to his youth. I'm hoping that the next 2 years he gains the confidence and command of the offense that he's lacking right now. If so, I think he could be really special.