PDA

View Full Version : Who starts against Tulsa...Bell or Knight?

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2013, 10:02 AM
Might as well get this going now...

I honestly don't know. It's a tough call for the coaches, but then that's why Bob Stoops gets paid the big bucks.

Hated to see TK have such a rough night and I'm sure Coach Stoops hated to pull him. Question is, how to handle it from here...

Breadburner
9/8/2013, 10:05 AM
Knight did him-self in with turnovers.....

badger
9/8/2013, 10:11 AM
Stoops doesn't like being let down when he goes out of his way and publicly endorses someone like he did with tk.

The Nike replica tens had been printed, belldozer had been a big part of the offense, Yet stoops defies conventional thinking and starts a new guy, a redshirt freshmen.

As such, stoops has to go with bell... And unfortunately for Trevor, all of our offense is going to look better against Tulsa than West Virginia due to more experience and a weaker opponent, which may make the switch stick longer

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2013, 10:12 AM
my money is on Bell starting

listen to the verbal dance from Stoops at the post game presser last night - and what he didnt say - as much was what he did say

Therealsouthsider
9/8/2013, 10:13 AM
...TK will start, his education must continue

ss

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/8/2013, 10:16 AM
...TK will start, his education must continue

ss

No. Bell must start! TK gets his education from the sideline. Play during mop up time.

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 10:17 AM
Bell. Whatever small advantage Stoops saw with Knight over Bell evaporated with the three turnovers last night. The camera shot on the sideline of TK after he was pulled said it all.

85Sooner
9/8/2013, 10:23 AM
Trevor will be fine. He has only played his second game since HS. I think the inserting of Bell has to do with two factors.
1.it was the fourth quarter and the way the Defense was playing, the goal was to run out the clock and you do that on the ground. 2. With a mobile QB such as Trevor, the chances for injury are increased significantly thus it is in OU's best interest to make sure the #2 Qb is functional enough to come in should the situation occur.

That said, Trevor needs to get a lot more full speed reps in...very quickly!

Therealsouthsider
9/8/2013, 10:36 AM
Trevor will be fine. He has only played his second game since HS. I think the inserting of Bell has to do with two factors.
1.it was the fourth quarter and the way the Defense was playing, the goal was to run out the clock and you do that on the ground. 2. With a mobile QB such as Trevor, the chances for injury are increased significantly thus it is in OU's best interest to make sure the #2 Qb is functional enough to come in should the situation occur.

...how dare you post such thoughtful words, don't you know message boards are for advancing agendas, personnel desires and general rabble rousing?

ss

SoonerofAlabama
9/8/2013, 10:36 AM
Brennan Clay.

5noubus
9/8/2013, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=85Sooner;3920237]Trevor will be fine. He has only played his second game since HS. I think the inserting of Bell has to do with two factors.

This^
Stoops put bell in 4th qt. last week too.

AzianSooner
9/8/2013, 10:45 AM
The first thing TK needs to improve is to be tougher and bolder as a QB. Then he can be more accuracy next time. These balls can be corrected with experiences.

DrZaius
9/8/2013, 10:51 AM
I have seen enough of Knight Time to satisfy me for now. I would like to see Dozer get the start. He cant possibly throw worse than Knight has so far.

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Therealsouthsider;3920255]

This^
Stoops put bell in 4th qt. last week too.

Yes but for different reasons.

5noubus
9/8/2013, 10:53 AM

This^
Stoops put bell in last week too.
I think it was about a change to spark the team. I like bell and I think he is a great leader on the field. But there has to be something better about TK.
I think he will be good eventually., his passes are too low, he doesn't seem to see the whole field.
I think TK starts against Tulsa.
Wondering what happens when Thompson is back?

VonMillerLite
9/8/2013, 10:53 AM
Waiting for kendal

TheHumanAlphabet
9/8/2013, 11:14 AM
Stoops tends to stick to his decisions no matter how they look. I would be surprised if Bell starts, unless there was an injury... Yeah, thats the ticket...

JiminyChristmas
9/8/2013, 11:16 AM
Its all about getting ready for the trip to ND.

Two possible scenarios:

1) TK young guy, will be good eventually, but he is what he is right now. Just not quite ready. Going to complete around 50% of his passes, miss some throws he should make, but hopefully slowly keep improving. There is no reason to think it is going to happen overnight.

2) BB has some invaluable in game, successful, high pressure experience. Obviously there are some shortcomings for him to have not won the job, but we have not seen how he will respond with the full offense at his disposal.

Against Tulsa is the perfect time to find out about Bell because of the opponent and the off week after. I would think the odds are that his passing numbers would certainly be no worse than what we've seen the first two games. There is nothing to lose to try it and see. The Sooners would beat Tulsa with Cody Thomas starting. TU is not good offensively this year at all. They lost their best defensive player against Bowling Green, second best defensive player declared ineligible, and their best WR against CSU.

cleller
9/8/2013, 11:19 AM
Against Tulsa, its a tougher question. Tulsa is good, but we could probably afford a few mistakes. I can see going either way.

In a pressure situation, I'd go for Bell. A better manager/leader.

SoonerLB
9/8/2013, 11:52 AM
I say TK. He has only played in 2 college games and he has got to get some experience somehow. One thing all the naysayers need to remember is that WV played pretty good defensely last night, a point the FOX announcers noted several times during the telecast. TK took some good hits as well, and was somewhat a victim of less than stellar play calling IMO. Yeah, he's got some learning to do, but 2 wins in 2 games ain't all bad.

MyT Oklahoma
9/8/2013, 11:58 AM
I would be surprised to see Bob reverse himself and replace TK next week. As much as I would like to see Bell get the start I think it will be TK. We shall see of course.

I also think TK will be a good quarterback over the long haul but I tend to live game-by-game. That's just me and old habits are hard to break.

Okie35
9/8/2013, 11:58 AM
Knight should start... he needs to stop taking hits though I think that makes him antsy and makes his reads/throws a little off.

SoonerMarkVA
9/8/2013, 12:03 PM
Bell should get the start. TK had the chance to wrap up the position and didn't. He may end up being great, but he looks overmatched for the cooker (e.g., I can't see Knight handling the Cotton Bowl environment). Heck, maybe Bell is too; to date, the guy *still* has never been able to run our full-throttle offense! After the TU game, you have to pick a guy and stick with him, unless the goal then becomes waiting for KT to get healthy. And if that's the case, we're looking at a long season, staring at ND, TCU, and ut without the QB locked down.

ashley
9/8/2013, 12:38 PM
I think TK has lots more upside.

SoonerKnight
9/8/2013, 12:52 PM
I think you start TK. TK needs to learn quickly! I also think Notre Dame allows a lot of rushing yards to us!!!

FaninAma
9/8/2013, 01:57 PM
It will be Bell. When Stoops pulled Hybl against Texas in 2001 in favor of White he stuck with Jason the next game.

Curly Bill
9/8/2013, 02:00 PM
Please let it be Bell. He may totally suck it up, but I've seen enough of TK to last me for this season.

bluedogok
9/8/2013, 02:59 PM
Knight will start unless his injury prevents it.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 03:17 PM
I say we let Millard start at QB!

instigator
9/8/2013, 03:38 PM
It has to be Bell. If they start TK next week there are three scenarios.

1. TK struggles and gets pulled for Bell then we go in to ND with TK who hasn't had a good game yet.

2. TK struggles and gets pulled for Bell then we go in to ND with Bell as the starter and he hasn't ever started a game.

3. TK turns the corner and plays great and we feel good going in to ND

I don't see number 3 happening at this point and 1 and 2 sound horrible. If Bell starts he can't be worse than what we have seen and he gets a game actually running the offense under his belt.

I was excited about TK but with ND looming and after TKs game last night I think Stoops has to make the move now.

Okie35
9/8/2013, 04:03 PM
It has to be Bell. If they start TK next week there are three scenarios.

1. TK struggles and gets pulled for Bell then we go in to ND with TK who hasn't had a good game yet.

2. TK struggles and gets pulled for Bell then we go in to ND with Bell as the starter and he hasn't ever started a game.

3. TK turns the corner and plays great and we feel good going in to ND

I don't see number 3 happening at this point and 1 and 2 sound horrible. If Bell starts he can't be worse than what we have seen and he gets a game actually running the offense under his belt.

I was excited about TK but with ND looming and after TKs game last night I think Stoops has to make the move now.

3 can happen against Tulsa. Unless ND finds a new QB before two weeks I think we'll be okay against ND.

JiminyChristmas
9/9/2013, 11:49 PM
So now that we know it will be Bell, whether because of injury to TK or not, what kind of numbers will it take for Bell to keep the job?

Let's say against Tulsa he goes 17 of 28 with 2 TDs and 1 int, for 225 yards passing. Also runs for another 50. Is that good enough? Assuming a win of course.

I know more goes into than just stats, but I'm just wondering where the expectations are as far as numbers go. Defensively I think Tulsa is probably of similar strength to ULM. Probably not quite as good as WVU.

dennis580
9/10/2013, 07:21 PM
Bell will start for the rest of the next 2 years. Knight had his chance now he is going to have to wait his turn.

SoonerorLater
9/10/2013, 07:26 PM
Bell will have his own problems Saturday but in general will have a decent game. I think he will also have issues with passing accuracy.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2013, 07:27 PM
Bell will start for the rest of the next 2 years. Knight had his chance now he is going to have to wait his turn.

But but but.. what if Bell gets hurt? What if Bell has a QB rating of 6? What if coach Stoops doesn't read SF.com? Details man, we need details.

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 07:39 PM
So now that we know it will be Bell, whether because of injury to TK or not, what kind of numbers will it take for Bell to keep the job?

Let's say against Tulsa he goes 17 of 28 with 2 TDs and 1 int, for 225 yards passing. Also runs for another 50. Is that good enough? Assuming a win of course.

I know more goes into than just stats, but I'm just wondering where the expectations are as far as numbers go. Defensively I think Tulsa is probably of similar strength to ULM. Probably not quite as good as WVU.

I don't think it'll be so much statistics driven, but more how he looks overall.

TK was apparently amazing in practice, but for whatever reason couldn't translate that over to games. Bell could come in and take control by just playing smart football and making the easy plays. I don't think he needs to throw for 300 yards, just make the throws that matter. If he does that, it'd be hard not to start him in South Bend.

At this point, I do think it's Bell's job to lose (again). He shouldn't have to deal with the nerves that may have affected TK, as he's certainly seen enough action in big games.

cvsooner
9/10/2013, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping he -- or Thompson -- or Knight -- whoever it winds up being, wins every game he starts. That's all I ask.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 08:29 PM

Bell had HIS chance and couldnt Beat out a Freshman.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2013, 08:34 PM
I don't think it'll be so much statistics driven, but more how he looks overall....

I totally agree. Will Bell be in command while he's out there and make the routine plays? Stats can be misleading as TK stats were not bad enough to give him the hook and mistakes are going to happen with first time starters (especially FR). It was the routine passing and even the completions that looked shakey that were the concern to me. I've seen cases where a QB is out there too early the experience doesn't help his development. But I'm not sure it's Bell's job to keep unless he really lights it up and surprises everyone. If he just holds his own, I see TK getting snaps as soon as he is healthy. And I've seen guys who sat a few games after struggling come back strong.

The Ghost of Mex
9/10/2013, 08:35 PM
Bell had HIS chance and couldnt Beat out a Freshman.

Maybe Bell isn't a good practice player, but a live gamer. You know, like JW Walsh, but without the monetary rewards and hookers and stuff.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 09:12 PM
Maybe Bell isn't a good practice player, but a live gamer. You know, like JW Walsh, but without the monetary rewards and hookers and stuff.

Heh, He was In Games the LAST 2 years and still couldnt beat the New kid. I like Bell Just dont think hes gonna be IT.

8timechamps
9/10/2013, 09:17 PM
I totally agree. Will Bell be in command while he's out there and make the routine plays? Stats can be misleading as TK stats were not bad enough to give him the hook and mistakes are going to happen with first time starters (especially FR). It was the routine passing and even the completions that looked shakey that were the concern to me. I've seen cases where a QB is out there too early the experience doesn't help his development. But I'm not sure it's Bell's job to keep unless he really lights it up and surprises everyone. If he just holds his own, I see TK getting snaps as soon as he is healthy. And I've seen guys who sat a few games after struggling come back strong.

Yeah, these things often work out in ways you wouldn't expect. In fact, if Thompson ended up being the starter by the end of the year, would anyone really be surprised?

Could be that Bell just needed to know the competition was close, and he comes out and looks amazing. Or, it could be that Knight needed to take a week off (not by choice) and he'll come back with a completely different perspective. You never know.

olevetonahill
9/10/2013, 09:28 PM
Yeah, these things often work out in ways you wouldn't expect. In fact, if Thompson ended up being the starter by the end of the year, would anyone really be surprised?

Could be that Bell just needed to know the competition was close, and he comes out and looks amazing. Or, it could be that Knight needed to take a week off (not by choice) and he'll come back with a completely different perspective. You never know.

Yup

Curly Bill
9/11/2013, 04:29 PM
Thompson may end up with the job, but I don't think TK gets it back anytime soon. I don't think Bell is gonna put up any outstanding passing numbers, but I think he'll be steady and good enough to keep the job through this year (barring injury).

cvsooner
9/11/2013, 05:22 PM
Brandon Chatmon of ESPN had an interesting analysis (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/24740/a-closer-look-at-ous-inability-to-pass) of Knight's passing in first two games:

Knight is 21 of 48 for 203 yards, four touchdowns, three interceptions with two sacks. Of his 27 incompletions, 17 were simply off target throws, including eight overthrown passes. Five were defended, three were deflected at the line and two were dropped by the receiver. While coaches and teammates have praised his accuracy, we haven't seen it yet. He's made several good, accurate throws but he needs to be consistently accurate for OU's passing game to soar.

Knight hasn’t made teams pay for blitzing. The redshirt freshman is 6 of 14 for 63 yards when blitzed and has been sacked once.

Bell hasn’t been much better, he’s 3 of 6 for 38 yards in backup duty. Two of his incompletions were off target and one was dropped. Against the blitz, he’s 0 for 1 and has been sacked once. Bell's sample size is so small it's tough to draw any conclusions from his 2013 appearances. He'll get to prove himself against Tulsa.

One encouraging stat for Knight is his production on passes between 6 and 14 yards. He’s 9 of 11 for 112 yards and two touchdowns on passes of that distance. Seven of those completions resulted in first downs.

Yet his short passing accuracy, or lack thereof, is unsettling. Knight is 6 of 13 for 24 yards on passes behind the line and 5 of 10 for 35 yards, two touchdowns and one interception on passes of 0 to 5 yards. The Sooners have tried to get him going with easy throws but he's been unable to consistently connect on them.

Getting Jalen Saunders involved early and often would be one thing that could jumpstart the Sooners' passing attack. Last season Saunders led the Sooners in target percentage, catching 75.7 percent of balls thrown his way. This season that number has dropped to 41.2 percent. True enough the offense has changed and Saunders has lined up at outside receiver more often, but he has the ability to take a two-yard throw and turn it into a 75-yard touchdown. Creating easy throws to Saunders will help the quarterbacks' confidence and OU’s offense as a whole.

cvsooner
9/11/2013, 05:34 PM
More interesting stats from Chatmon; apparently we have the league's worst passing attack so far, but it's about the only real negative.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/24734/key-stats-support-sooners-strong-start

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 06:29 PM
Interesting stats from Chatmon.

Makes me want to look at those short range passes and see what happened. I know in the ULM game, some of the short yardage passes looked hurried, maybe nerves? I'd also be interested in knowing how the dropped passes played into the overall stats.

Our WR unit has not looked great so far. I know we have talent there, but they've just looked rusty.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2013, 06:58 PM
Interesting stats from Chatmon.

Makes me want to look at those short range passes and see what happened. I know in the ULM game, some of the short yardage passes looked hurried, maybe nerves? I'd also be interested in knowing how the dropped passes played into the overall stats.

Our WR unit has not looked great so far. I know we have talent there, but they've just looked rusty.

Agreed on the WR play, but it's typical from what I've observed over the years. If a QB is struggling with accuracy, the WRs lose confidence or something and start dropping more balls that are on target too. It takes an exceptional receiver like Broyles to maintain focus no matter how the passes are delivered. The flip side is that if we start getting some consistent QB play, the WRs will do fine and the snowball will start rolling.

SouthFortySooner
9/11/2013, 07:26 PM
Bell doesn't lack confidence, which may help.

King Barry's Back
9/11/2013, 07:43 PM
Thompson may end up with the job, but I don't think TK gets it back anytime soon. I don't think Bell is gonna put up any outstanding passing numbers, but I think he'll be steady and good enough to keep the job through this year (barring injury).

Curly, you ever seen BB throw any passaes, in spring game/practice/what have you?

I'm just wondering, because he's thrown so few game passes i don't see how we fans can judge his passing?

I keep hearing that he's not a good passer, but how do we know?

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 07:58 PM
Agreed on the WR play, but it's typical from what I've observed over the years. If a QB is struggling with accuracy, the WRs lose confidence or something and start dropping more balls that are on target too. It takes an exceptional receiver like Broyles to maintain focus no matter how the passes are delivered. The flip side is that if we start getting some consistent QB play, the WRs will do fine and the snowball will start rolling.

Yeah, I'm sure there a component to both positions that affect the other.

It's been so long since we've seen a redshirt freshman start a season, that I forgot about how hard the QB position can be to execute. I guess if we had the same kind of offense that a team like Texas Tech has, some of it would be masked with the sheer number of passing attempts out QB would get...but, we've also seen that if you can't run the ball, it doesn't really matter how good your QB stats look, you'll get beat eventually.

I'm not surprised that things have been shaky from the QB at times so far, I think anyone that has followed college football knows there's always going to be a transition period when these kinds of changes are made. I really believe we'll only see better play with each week.

Curly Bill
9/11/2013, 10:13 PM
Curly, you ever seen BB throw any passaes, in spring game/practice/what have you?

I'm just wondering, because he's thrown so few game passes i don't see how we fans can judge his passing?

We really don't know. I'm somewhat going on if he couldn't beat out TK for the job he must not be too great at winging it, because TK looked only a notch above terrible out there.

LiteBright
9/11/2013, 10:19 PM
Stoops should have done at least a little planning ahead. tn should have had at least some play time last season, Stoops never should have let Drew Allen go, or bb should have had more play time passing last season.

bluedogok
9/11/2013, 10:33 PM
Stoops should have done at least a little planning ahead. tn should have had at least some play time last season, Stoops never should have let Drew Allen go, or bb should have had more play time passing last season.
I'm guessing by "tn" you mean Trevor Knight? If he would have played last year they would have burned his redshirt.

8timechamps
9/11/2013, 10:45 PM

Just so I'm clear, Stoops should have played:

Jones
Allen
Bell
Knight

at QB last year?

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2013, 11:06 PM

Jones
Allen
Bell
Knight

at QB last year?

And what about Kendal Thompson?

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 11:08 PM

We really don't know. I'm somewhat going on if he couldn't beat out TK for the job he must not be too great at winging it, because TK looked only a notch above terrible out there.

Heres his stats the last 2 years and the 2 games so far this season
Am I the only who watched the games the last 2 seasons and saw him TRY to pass?
I hope he does well But I just dont see it.

FaninAma
9/11/2013, 11:45 PM
I thought Blake looked pretty good in the spring game.

olevetonahill
9/11/2013, 11:51 PM
I thought Blake looked pretty good in the spring game.

Of the 3 I thot he was the worst passer. the Folks I was with we were pretty much split on TK or KT being the better ,

FaninAma
9/11/2013, 11:57 PM
Of the 3 I thot he was the worst passer. the Folks I was with we were pretty much split on TK or KT being the better ,
I actually thought TK looked very shaky when he was in. KT didn't look too bad.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1603507-oklahoma-football-winners-and-losers-from-sooners-2013-spring-game

Seems like TK had a case of big-stage yips in that game, too.

Blue
9/11/2013, 11:57 PM
I think the right answer is, "Who the F knows?" Apparently not our coaches, so lets see it play out.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2013, 02:52 AM
I actually thought TK looked very shaky when he was in. KT didn't look too bad.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1603507-oklahoma-football-winners-and-losers-from-sooners-2013-spring-game

Seems like TK had a case of big-stage yips in that game, too.

I'm assuming the injury information is typical Bob Stoops transparency and KT is not really ready to go yet.

LiteBright
9/12/2013, 05:39 AM
I'm guessing by "tn" you mean Trevor Knight? If he would have played last year they would have burned his redshirt.

That's not how I'd plan ahead for the next season but probably also why I'm not coach. I'm sure Mac Brown could explain why he would have the same strategy.

Jones
Allen
Bell
Knight

at QB last year?

Aside from Jones, one of the above could have gotten at least SOME real world passing experience during the 3rd and 4th quarters in games when we were way ahead instead of trying to run up stats. We have a football program that puts millions into teaching players theory and then drops them out of the nest into combat against veterans. If our program had another million, just think what we could do to prepare our future 1st stringers on the bench.

Curly Bill
9/12/2013, 04:56 PM
I think the right answer is, "Who the F knows?" Apparently not our coaches, so lets see it play out.

Apparently Vet has seem him extensively because he keeps go on about it.

I still contend he was durnk and imagined Bell throwing more than the few token passes the rest of us have seen him make.

Love ya Vet! LOL

olevetonahill
9/12/2013, 05:12 PM
Apparently Vet has seem him extensively because he keeps go on about it.

I still contend he was durnk and imagined Bell throwing more than the few token passes the rest of us have seen him make.

Love ya Vet! LOL

Show me where I said I had seen him Throw EXTENSIVELY?I simply said I have seen him throw and I wasnt impressed. Ive posted his Stats Like I said Ill shut the **** about it now.

8timechamps
9/12/2013, 05:15 PM
Aside from Jones, one of the above could have gotten at least SOME real world passing experience during the 3rd and 4th quarters in games when we were way ahead instead of trying to run up stats. We have a football program that puts millions into teaching players theory and then drops them out of the nest into combat against veterans. If our program had another million, just think what we could do to prepare our future 1st stringers on the bench.

I can agree with that. I think that a lot of fans wanted to see more of Bell last year (in blowouts) for this very reason. Regardless, that's just not how Stoops does things. Not sure that will ever change.