PDA

View Full Version : To all you Experts: What do you think of our offensive line thus far?

agoo758
9/8/2013, 12:02 AM
Times tonight I felt like the Oline look good, and other times they looked ineffective (although that horrible delayed handoff out of the formation probably contributed to the latter)

Our line has been notoriously mediocre the past several years, so to someone you really understands football: is our line any better this year from what you have seen?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/8/2013, 12:08 AM
They are really trying to change the philosophy of our offense, which starts with changing the oline..Some what I've read since the last guy departed, they had gotten away from strength and size and moved to speed and agility concepts with the old offense. With the new coach coming in, he has gone back to the old way of doing things so to speak and it is a work in progress. Overall, I still think they are a little soft but I can tell the technique changes that have been made and see some of what they can be. The ability to get off the first block and see lineman actually make it 2nd and 3rd level is the biggest change I have seen.

I think against quality d lines, we are going to still have some issues of imposing our will to run..but I see the light.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 12:09 AM
Over 300 yds on the ground in both games is impressive even given the competition. I know part of the reason is the offense has changed with a running QB (and the lack of choice in the passing game), but still impressive. I can't tell about the pass protection yet. Doesn't seem like most the poor throws have been caused by pressure.

CatfishSooner
9/8/2013, 12:18 AM
Line looks good...gonna get better

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 12:22 AM
Personally, I feel that thus far this is the worst OL we've had since 2005. There are at least 1-2 defenders flying free into the backfield unimpeded on every snap (and sometimes 4-5). That being said, our running backs seem to do better with the overpenetration than with them actually pushing forward on their blocks. The best blocked running play of the night ended up in a 3 yard loss because Clay couldn't make a slow white boy linebacker miss. Yet he gouged the ever loving crap out of them when they had 4-5 running free in the backfield.

Pass blocking is horrendous. Knight isn't as tall as Landry was so he needs more space, but that pocket shrinks quickly. Our running backs were diving across him all night to take out an unblocked defender with a bead on him (nice job there).