PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Knight: Not Ready for Prime Time

SoCalBigRed
9/7/2013, 08:52 PM
Sorry kid. You just don't have "it", right now.

Heupel should be shot, for going away from what was a sure score. Shades of LSU, with a broken Jason White and they didn't figure OUT how to run, until it was too late.

WHY!? go away from what's working, on a play that changed the WHOLE complexion of the game.

BigJerm7
9/7/2013, 09:03 PM
If Bell is that bad I hope Thompson heals up quick.

SoCalBigRed
9/7/2013, 09:23 PM
I think the coaches were so obsessed with having a Johnny Football, they jumped too soon.

I hope they didn't wreck the kid. He's got the tools... he's just not there yet.

cleller
9/7/2013, 09:58 PM
They did him no favors in going away from a hot running game to try and build his confidence. The result was an interception, a meltdown by Knight, and the loss of momentum we had in the run game in the 3rd quarter.

Had they stuck with what was working, sooner or later the passing game would have been more open, and Knight could have had a better opportunity.

Knight is lacking presence right now. Bell has it.

MyT Oklahoma
9/7/2013, 10:00 PM
Well our offensive coaches sure as hell don't have it, or a clue for that matter.

MsProudSooner
9/7/2013, 10:06 PM
The coaches and players can't all be as smart as you guys.:wink:

OU_Sooners75
9/7/2013, 10:08 PM
Maybe instead of the pistol offense and running he same damn play on first down, mix it up a little bit?

The only way Trevor will get better is if you get him in a rhythm. You don't do that by limiting what you call.

The coaches know what he can do, but apparently our coaches can't seem to get a plan down for him during games.

Dot be too hard on the kid. He definitely has the tools to be something special. I just don't think the offense suits him. That or Heupel is too stupid to know how to game plan it and coach it.

That said, it's time for the offense to go to a triple option attack instead of this bullsh*t we are witnessing!

soonercastor
9/7/2013, 10:08 PM
They did him no favors in going away from a hot running game to try and build his confidence. The result was an interception, a meltdown by Knight.

Had they stuck with what was working, sooner or later the passing game would have been more open, and Knight could have had a better opportunity.

You are contradicting yourself a bit here.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/7/2013, 10:19 PM
He's a talented kid, no doubt. He just needs some mileage.

Bell should be the starter.

SoonerKnight
9/7/2013, 10:23 PM
Well bell might get the start! I would start him but I think against Tulsa you use it as a practice game for Knight and he starts.

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 10:26 PM
The coaches and players can't all be as smart as you guys.:wink:

Heh, So true.

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2013, 10:27 PM
What's been the common denominator in the offense the last 3 years? Yeah that would be Heupel; there's your problem right there. He may be a great QB coach but not much of a play caller

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/7/2013, 10:27 PM
Well bell might get the start! I would start him but I think against Tulsa you use it as a practice game for Knight and he starts.

Are you crazy? Start Bell and leave him in! Texas and the Domers are coming up.

cleller
9/7/2013, 10:29 PM
You are contradicting yourself a bit here.

Specifically, we were running the ball at will when Knight tossed the second interception. We were gobbling up about 10 yards per rush, then a 5 yard pass play is called. Knight tries to force it in, and our drive is over.
At that point, had we stuck to the ground game, we would likely have put points on the board, and forced WVa to commit to stopping the run. When that happens, the passing game would likely have been more open for Knight.

Is that better?

arcman46
9/7/2013, 10:39 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, but was listening to it on the radio at work, but it seems to me that the coaches don't seem to have much confidence in Bell being able to throw the ball.

SouthFortySooner
9/7/2013, 10:46 PM
I'm certain when they ran the ball they should have passed it. And when they passed the ball they should have ran it. I know stuff.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2013, 10:59 PM
Maybe instead of the pistol offense and running he same damn play on first down, mix it up a little bit?

The only way Trevor will get better is if you get him in a rhythm. You don't do that by limiting what you call.

The coaches know what he can do, but apparently our coaches can't seem to get a plan down for him during games.

Dot be too hard on the kid. He definitely has the tools to be something special. I just don't think the offense suits him. That or Heupel is too stupid to know how to game plan it and coach it.

That said, it's time for the offense to go to a triple option attack instead of this bullsh*t we are witnessing!

I agree with this...Blake Bell did do an excellent job handing it off tonight..that is for sure.

SoonerKnight
9/7/2013, 11:01 PM
I'm certain when they ran the ball they should have passed it. And when they passed the ball they should have ran it. I know stuff.

You know ****!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/7/2013, 11:02 PM
Specifically, we were running the ball at will when Knight tossed the second interception. We were gobbling up about 10 yards per rush, then a 5 yard pass play is called. Knight tries to force it in, and our drive is over.
At that point, had we stuck to the ground game, we would likely have put points on the board, and forced WVa to commit to stopping the run. When that happens, the passing game would likely have been more open for Knight.

Is that better?

I said it in the game thread that when Knight hurt his thigh he wouldn't be able to plant on it. If you can't plant you lose velocity and tend to throw high. He then throws an INT that was honestly a crazy good play by the defensive back. The next one he throws with minimal velocity and it get tipped.

The real problem with all of the QBs that I've seen throw this year is that they lack accuracy. Bell is even worse than Knight in that his eyes drop when rushed.

SoonerorLater
9/7/2013, 11:03 PM
I blame George Bush.

Breadburner
9/7/2013, 11:03 PM
They sure seem to play harder for Bell......

thecrimsoncrusader
9/7/2013, 11:04 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, but was listening to it on the radio at work, but it seems to me that the coaches don't seem to have much confidence in Bell being able to throw the ball.

The game was over if OU played smart and playing smart was not throwing the football at that time. We'll see what Bell has against Tulsa and if he passes well in the Tulsa game, it won't be because it's Tulsa, it will be because he can actually complete passes to open receivers, something Knight has struggled with the first two games.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/7/2013, 11:08 PM
Knight wasn't the same after getting his bell rung. But he'll be all right.

You anti-knight guys are over-reacting. The offense gained 435 yards. He was 10-20 passing. A conference win in only his second game is great.

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 11:12 PM
Are you crazy? Start Bell and leave him in! Texas and the Domers are coming up.

Why? Please elaborate .

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 11:13 PM

Cause He Cant throw fer shat! Knight aint Good but hes Better than BB

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 11:15 PM
I said it in the game thread that when Knight hurt his thigh he wouldn't be able to plant on it. If you can't plant you lose velocity and tend to throw high. He then throws an INT that was honestly a crazy good play by the defensive back. The next one he throws with minimal velocity and it get tipped.

The real problem with all of the QBs that I've seen throw this year is that they lack accuracy. Bell is even worse than Knight in that his eyes drop when rushed.

Agreed!

SoonerorLater
9/7/2013, 11:18 PM
Any bets on how long it will be before we start hearing people want to bring in Cody Thomas?

Curly Bill
9/7/2013, 11:19 PM
Cause He Cant throw fer shat! Knight aint Good but hes Better than BB

You have totally NO PROOF of that!

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 11:20 PM
Knight wasn't the same after getting his bell rung. But he'll be all right.

You anti-knight guys are over-reacting. The offense gained 435 yards. He was 10-20 passing. A conference win in only his second game is great.
Well said Jaun ( see I Capitalized yer name ) dont do that often LOL

If Bell was all that after 3 years a Freshman wouldnt have beat him out for the Job.

Curly Bill
Any bets on how long it will be before we start hearing people want to bring in Cody Thomas?

Hey, why not?

olevetonahill
You have totally NO PROOF of that!
Heres His Stats compare em
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/501882/blake-bell

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 11:22 PM

No But I'd sure Like to see Kendal Thompson get healthy !

Curly Bill
9/7/2013, 11:23 PM
Heres His Stats compare em
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/501882/blake-bell

I watched the f**king game tonight. As you already know: I could give a crap about the numbers! If anyone thinks TK has proved himself better than Bell or anyone, I don't know what they were watching, or what type medication they must be on?!?!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2013, 11:26 PM
We know Knight struggled..What do we know about Bell? He hands off really well?

Curly Bill
9/7/2013, 11:28 PM

We don't know, but from what I saw of TK, I'd at least like to see Bell get a real chance to see if he can do better. I mean...can he do any worse!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/7/2013, 11:31 PM
We don't know, but from what I saw of TK, I'd at least like to see Bell get a real chance to see if he can do better. I mean...can he do any worse!

The problem is that we saw Bell throw the ball in the first game. Every time anyone got any pressure at all his eyes went down to the rush. Do you think college coaches aren't going to pick up on that and blitz the ever loving crap out of him?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/7/2013, 11:36 PM
I already heart Trevor because I love the way he sees that he can make yardage by running so he just does it. As much I also hearted Landry, I also felt he avoided running as much as possible, so this is a huge improvement in my opinion.

On the other hand, Trevor needs more experience and success before he earns the unqualified respect of the team.

What I saw tonight in Bell was someone that has earned his chops so the team was putting out more effort for him than for TK. Which I don't agree with, because they should put out the same effort no matter who the QB is. But there it is.

aurorasooner
9/7/2013, 11:37 PM
I do wonder who made the decision to put Bell in? Did it come from Bob or from Heupel?

I do think they stick with TK in the Tulsa game, unless his injury is more severe than they're letting on. We just can't become one dimensional with the run, though, and if he can't translate his supposed quality throwing skills from practice to a real game, then who GAS how well he can throw in practice or on the scout team.

Widescreen
9/7/2013, 11:39 PM
The lack of zone reads or option plays makes me think that Knight may have been a bit dinged up coming into the game. I can't really think of another reason why we would've changed some dramatically compared to what we did last week.

Curly Bill
9/7/2013, 11:40 PM
The problem is that we saw Bell throw the ball in the first game. Every time anyone got any pressure at all his eyes went down to the rush. Do you think college coaches aren't going to pick up on that and blitz the ever loving crap out of him?

I'd hope they would, but is that any worse than the 8-9 we're gonna see in the box because TK either can't throw, or the coaches don't trust him to? I think it's pick your poison for us, and neither choice we have seems too good. I'd still go with Bell if for no other reason than he seemed to give the team a lift when he came in (I know he only handed off), and yeah that's a somewhat flimsy reason to base your starting QB choice on, but it is what it is.

8timechamps
9/7/2013, 11:42 PM
The lack of zone reads or option plays makes me think that Knight may have been a bit dinged up coming into the game. I can't really think of another reason why we would've changed some dramatically compared to what we did last week.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I noticed that we didn't run an option after the first few drives. I don't remember exactly when Knight got banged up, but that would make sense (if that was the reason we didn't run it).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/7/2013, 11:45 PM
I do wonder who made the decision to put Bell in? Did it come from Bob or from Heupel?

I do think they stick with TK in the Tulsa game, unless his injury is more severe than they're letting on. We just can't become one dimensional with the run, though, and if he can't translate his supposed quality throwing skills from practice to a real game, then who GAS how well he can throw in practice or on the scout team.

given that bell didn't come in til the start of the 4th quarter I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 3/1 split thing

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2013, 11:52 PM
We've taken a shaky QB, and hurt his confidence more by pulling him in a game he is winning..We bring in the backup and show him we don't want him attempting a pass.. I just don't agree long term with the decision.. I think Knight should have finished the game.

Unless that was the plan from the beginning..Last week, it was a 3/1 also..And don't tell me it was because the game was well in hand. Bob typically leaves the starter in the entire game or until just a few minutes are left.

PhilTLL
9/7/2013, 11:53 PM
I was in the stands so I couldn't see the looks on faces or the pep in steps too well, but where are we getting this "Team played better for Bell" stuff? Our line was already grinding down theirs when he came in, so of course the running was available. We had about the same stuffed/big run ratio as under Knight (or so it felt, have not looked at the play log yet). Am I missing some actual evidence or did the rose-colored glasses go on about the time Bell came in?

Pricetag
I think Knight didn't have any wheels after that hit late in the first half. That's the only reason we saw Blake. He was at least still a threat to run, where Trevor was no longer a threat.

bluedogok
That is why I think the (speculated) thigh bruise may have been more of the reason for the swap than just ineffectiveness.

8timechamps
9/7/2013, 11:54 PM
We've taken a shaky QB, and hurt his confidence more by pulling him in a game he is winning..We bring in the backup and show him we don't want him attempting a pass.. I just don't agree long term with the decision.. I think Knight should have finished the game.

Unless that was the plan from the beginning..Last week, it was a 3/1 also..And don't tell me it was because the game was well in hand. Bob typically leaves the starter in the entire game or until just a few minutes are left.

I'm starting to wonder if pulling Knight had to do with his injury. IIRC, the two series after the last interception were both 3 and out, and Knight didn't attempt a pass in either of those series. It just seemed odd that if he was in fact being pulled (for performance), that they picked that time to do it. If you're going to pull him, wouldn't you do it after the second interception? Why send him back out two more times and not throw the ball, then pull him?

8timechamps
9/7/2013, 11:56 PM
I was in the stands so I couldn't see the looks on faces or the pep in steps too well, but where are we getting this "Team played better for Bell" stuff? Our line was already grinding down theirs when he came in, so of course the running was available. We had about the same stuffed/big run ratio as under Knight (or so it felt, have not looked at the play log yet). Am I missing some actual evidence or did the rose-colored glasses go on about the time Bell came in?

I think that's what some folks want to think. I didn't notice a change in the "energy" at all.

Eielson
9/7/2013, 11:58 PM
From everything I've seen and heard, the team respects Knight a lot more than they do Bell. I'd be very surprised if this "played harder for Bell" line of thinking has anything to it.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 12:01 AM
The bottom line is that WVU is not that good and we got serious help from them to win this game. If we can't find a QB that at least pass at an average efficiency, it's going to be a long season. ND or Baylor would have killed us tonight.

Pricetag
9/8/2013, 12:01 AM
There's no doubt that we all miss Landry's passing, but did anyone else think WV would have ended up with a TD on the bad snap play in the first half if Landry was back there?

SoonerKnight
9/8/2013, 12:03 AM
I think that's what some folks want to think. I didn't notice a change in the "energy" at all.

I thought that at one point one of the RB's walks over to Bell to BS! It seems that the team still looks to Bell as the leader! I seriously think the majority of upper class men want Bell!!

proudsoonergal
9/8/2013, 12:04 AM
There's no doubt that we all miss Landry's passing, but did anyone else think WV would have ended up with a TD on the bad snap play in the first half if Landry was back there?

Eerily reminiscent of the KSU game last year. Knight definitely had a better result than Landry did, given the similar circumstances.

SoonerKnight
9/8/2013, 12:04 AM

Yes. Or they coached it! After last year! LOL!

Eielson
9/8/2013, 12:11 AM
Eerily reminiscent of the KSU game last year. Knight definitely had a better result than Landry did, given the similar circumstances.

K-State was a lot better than WVU...

aurorasooner
9/8/2013, 12:12 AM
One thing's for sure. Bob's presser on Monday is going to be interesting. Certainly hope he doesn't get combative and pissy with the press, because it's now broadcast nationally, or at least it is on the cable sport's tier.

BTW, the pirate is hanging tough with USuC. 7-7 under 10 minutes left in the 4th.

Eielson
9/8/2013, 12:13 AM
BRING BACK LANDRY! BRING BACK LANDRY!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 12:16 AM
The bottom line is that WVU is not that good and we got serious help from them to win this game. If we can't find a QB that at least pass at an average efficiency, it's going to be a long season. ND or Baylor would have killed us tonight.

I don't think it is so much Knight as the OL. I also don't think our running game is so much the OL as it is Brennan Clay. Am I the only one that noticed most of his long games came after he split a pair of defenders 4 yards deep in the backfield? Right now the other D is getting way too many free untouched passes into the backfield. It reminds me a LOT of 2008 when Sam got murderized right out of the gate.

Pricetag
9/8/2013, 12:20 AM
Do we have any backs that can pick up a blitz? It seemed to me like on some of the passes that there was some pressure by a single guy who should have been picked up by a non-OL guy.

SouthFortySooner
9/8/2013, 12:22 AM
I felt when it happened and still do. The quarterback change was due to the thigh hit on TK.

westbrooke
9/8/2013, 12:23 AM
IIRC, the two series after the last interception were both 3 and out, and Knight didn't attempt a pass in either of those series.

I think this is exactly why people, me included, interpreted what they saw as renewed energy when Bell came in. Three and outs, the defense seriously bending, then Bell comes in, the crowd gets into it, and the offense pops and regains its purpose. There's a lot of correlation there without any clear causation. Could be it just took one successful run to get the feel back.

I didn't get to see most of the first game, so I can't comment on Bell's throwing. All I can say is that I fear the results when Knight drops back. Injury or no injury, he's having trouble moving the offense right now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 12:25 AM
Do we have any backs that can pick up a blitz? It seemed to me like on some of the passes that there was some pressure by a single guy who should have been picked up by a non-OL guy.

I saw on multiple occasions a running back having to dive in front of Knight to make a block from his non-assignment side. It is just that the pressure was in his face so fast from up the gut (not to mention that slobberknocker he took from his blindside).

westbrooke
9/8/2013, 12:30 AM
Do you see the problems on the OL as a matter of talent or inexperience in a new scheme? In other words, can we hope they'll improve significantly as they internalize the new coaching?

CatfishSooner
9/8/2013, 12:37 AM
So who starts vs. Tulsa??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2013, 12:41 AM
Do you see the problems on the OL as a matter of talent or inexperience in a new scheme? In other words, can we hope they'll improve significantly as they internalize the new coaching?

I didn't go back and watch all of them, but what little I saw was 2 OL blocking one guy and letting one through. That stuff tends to take time and repetitions to work out. What worries me is that we aren't really pushing guys around, we are just taking advantage of aggressiveness (literally blocking them the way they want to go). If we run into a disciplined and/or untalented DLine they are just going to clog all of the holes.

Remember last week, to get out of the overpenetration by their DL, we went to the quick pitch to the sidelines and outran them. That wasn't there this week so we went to basically the outside sprint draw and let the backs pick their holes. To me (and this is my opinion), those are indicators of fools gold. However, Clay seems to be really really good at it so it may be the real deal.

Pricetag
9/8/2013, 01:00 AM
So who starts vs. Tulsa??
I'd start Knight, if he's healthy. I think Blake can get the job done if Knight isn't 100 percent.

CatfishSooner
9/8/2013, 01:12 AM
I like to see Blake play for at least a half so he has time to get a rhythm; he looked fast tonight!

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2013, 02:26 AM

This. Intangibles.

olevetonahill
9/8/2013, 02:31 AM

And again Bro this Is all designed to Let You and I See what the coaches see every day !

SoonerLB
9/8/2013, 04:19 AM
I saw on multiple occasions a running back having to dive in front of Knight to make a block from his non-assignment side. It is just that the pressure was in his face so fast from up the gut (not to mention that slobberknocker he took from his blindside).

Good point, their defense was better than we are giving them credit for IMHO. And TK got beat up pretty good tonight as well, so hopefully he can learn from this and bounce back. And hopefully he can learn to not stare down his recievers as much as well.
And one other point, if the defensive line is persistently clogging up the middle, why keep trying to run there on every first down? The play calling could use a little improvement as far as I'm concerned.

stoopified
9/8/2013, 06:02 AM
Can't help wondering if the reason OUr passing game and AK's execution may be suffering because too little time is spent on it.Barry always said that in order to be good at the option you have to practice it over and over.In the past under Bob we spent the majority of OUr practice time on offense polishing OUr passing game,now we don't and the passing game has faltered.It isn't just AK weing inaccurate and throwing into coverage but also recievers dropping the ball. I dunno but it has me going HMMMMM.

Okie35
9/8/2013, 06:27 AM
He'll be okay... Geez

Just needs to spend a little more time in the film room he missed some open receivers.

jkjsooner
9/8/2013, 07:09 AM
There have been several people here who have stated that the coaches don't trust Bell to throw the ball. This is ridiculous.

Bell came into the game late in the fourth quarter with two score lead. We needed to run clock at that point. Even on the third down play we were in field goal range which would have put us up by more than 10 (12) so playing it safe for the field goal was the right thing to do in that situation.

I don't care if you have Peyton Manning in there. You're probably going to run the ball and run clock.

It could be true that the coaches don't trust Bell to throw but nothing in yesterday's game proves or even hints to this.

jkjsooner
9/8/2013, 07:15 AM
I still think TK is going to be a good QB in the future. For whatever reason he just isn't ready. I'll leave it to the coaches to decide if we want to go with TK and see if he can improve or stay with Bell.

If I had my way (and I am nowhere near qualified), I'd like to see some split reps between the two QB's early on next week. I think normally a 2 QB system is bad but right now we have to find a guy who can play in a real game.

It is frustrating because it appears that with good QB play we have an outstanding team - much better than most predicted. If one of these guys becomes productive and limits mistakes we could be great. If not we'll struggle and be really mediocre.

cleller
9/8/2013, 07:53 AM
Bunch of different opinions on what we saw last night. To me, the last 3 or so series Knight was in the game he looked like a wounded animal, lacked confidence, and WVa seized on it.

Bell looked confident, and ran the game the way the coaches called it, obviously trying to preserve the lead, and run the clock.

Knight's in a tough spot. Bell is a popular guy. Last year everyone had already pledged their allegiance to him. Now Knight has to come in and win everyone over. So far, he hasn't quite figured out how to do it.

Soonerjeepman
9/8/2013, 08:13 AM

i honestly thought it should have been a safety...from what I remember and depending on the ball not being in the endzone but 95% of TK was.

VMG
9/8/2013, 08:23 AM
Trevor Knight not ready for prime time??

How 'bout Josh...? Maybe Trent Dilfer had it right after the Cotton Bowl...

Soonerjeepman
9/8/2013, 08:24 AM
just another thought....

TK is only 6'1...all of our other qb's have been 6'4 or better. I know height isn't everything, but trying to see over the line, vs through the holes. Last week he had 3 tipped. Just another point...probably not a great one but I'm sure he didn't have 6'5 guys on his oline in HS.

I was a little disappointed to not see Bell throw some...but also agree we wanted to run clock.

VERY disappointed on calling for a pass on the 7 yrd line when we had just ran 2-3 plays of 15yrd or more.

Baylor hammered a no name...big deal..this game will go a long ways...but the big 12 will be tough.

LOL ut lost!!!

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2013, 08:41 AM
Trevor Knight not ready for prime time??

How 'bout Josh...?

I gotta say, calling that pass play with 1st & goal @ the 6 yd line, likely had us all scratching our head. I love Josh, but dayem TK was struggling and the running game was working good at that point. So once again we go away from what's working to trick 'em...I guess.

Rough night for TK. He has to make better decisions, but it's not all on him. That was a dumb call.

85Sooner
9/8/2013, 10:24 AM
Trevor will be fine. He has only played his second game since HS. I think the inserting of Bell has to do with two factors.
1.it was the fourth quarter and the way the Defense was playing, the goal was to run out the clock and you do that on the ground. 2. With a mobile QB such as Trevor, the chances for injury are increased significantly thus it is in OU's best interest to make sure the #2 Qb is functional enough to come in should the situation occur.

That said, Trevor needs to get a lot more full speed reps in...very quickly!

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 10:29 AM
I gotta say, calling that pass play with 1st & goal @ the 6 yd line, likely had us all scratching our head. I love Josh, but dayem TK was struggling and the running game was working good at that point. So once again we go away from what's working to trick 'em...I guess.

Rough night for TK. He has to make better decisions, but it's not all on him. That was a dumb call.

I didn't see it as a mistake and I would have made a similar call. Perfect situation for play action given how the run was going and TK had been good in the redzone so far (all 4TDs). Josh has to develop him to be an effective starter and handing off 30 plays in a row is not going to do it. Job 1 on that play is to take care of the ball and he didn't get it done. It doesn't look like nerves anymore - it just appears he's not seeing the field yet. He's great at seeing the running lanes, but the passing game is still moving too fast for him. I think passing to backs and (I wish) TE's might be just the ticket. Let him beat LB coverage first before attaching DBs.

UteSooner
9/8/2013, 11:59 AM
Other than TK's second interception (where he truly just lobbed it up for grabs...), I didn't see anything that made me worry more than what we saw last week. We were a few plays away from doubling our score...and it wasn't just TK keeping us from doing it--Bester's fumble and a missed field goal didn't help. I doubt we'd all be talking like this (about him not being ready for prime time) if the score looked like last week's (after all, I didn't see this thread last week). BB didn't even complete a pass, so saying he is the answer is unfounded (granted he only attempted one). I'd continue to start TK at this point. I still believe he isn't far off.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/8/2013, 12:08 PM
Other than TK's second interception (where he truly just lobbed it up for grabs...), I didn't see anything that made me worry more than what we saw last week. We were a few plays away from doubling our score...and it wasn't just TK keeping us from doing it--Bester's fumble and a missed field goal didn't help. I doubt we'd all be talking like this (about him not being ready for prime time) if the score looked like last week's (after all, I didn't see this thread last week). BB didn't even complete a pass, so saying he is the answer is unfounded (granted he only attempted one). I'd continue to start TK at this point. I still believe he isn't far off.

And we were a couple of plays from one or two more interception by TK. He hit one WVU db right in the hands in the second quarter. Missed numerous wide open receivers. Not ready!

UteSooner
9/8/2013, 12:16 PM
And we were a couple of plays from one or two more interception by TK.

Yes true.

But TK not being "ready" doesn't mean another QB is more "ready."

bluedogok
9/8/2013, 02:49 PM
The line struggled in pass blocking, the play where Knight got blown up the left side of the line had three linemen down field not blocking anyone.

cleller
9/8/2013, 03:27 PM
As Merv would say: The backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team.

Let's let Trevor have a chance to be popular.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/8/2013, 06:07 PM

What do we know about Blake Bell?:

1. We know that Bell was the only guy that could score a touchdown against OSU in that 2011 crapfest of a game in Stillwater.

2. We know that Bell was the only guy that got a rushing TD against KSU last season in the OU/KSU game.

3. We know that Bell won't wet his pants in the Red River War while knocking in 4 TDs in the 1st half alone.

4. We know that Bell can complete a big 4th and 2 pass play for 8 yards to Millard to the Notre Dame 1 yard line.

5. We know that Bell was the first player to score a rushing TD against Notre Dame's defense after no other player could in the prior 7 games.

6. We know that Bell can get a 55 yard TD run against Baylor early in the 4th quarter when OU is only up 35 to 26.

7. We know that Bell can get a game tying TD on a do or die 4th and 3 run that sends the OU/OSU game in OT that OU wins.

That's some of the things we know about Blake Bell.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/8/2013, 06:11 PM
^^^This^^^

thecrimsoncrusader
9/8/2013, 06:11 PM
The line struggled in pass blocking, the play where Knight got blown up the left side of the line had three linemen down field not blocking anyone.

If you are referring to the play where he lost the fumble on the blind-side hit, Knight needed to recognize that as soon as the primary receiver on that play blew his responsibility, it was time to either throw it away or take off with and Knight had enough time to do that. Unfortunately, that's one of those things that inexperienced QBs have to learn the hard way.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 06:35 PM

IDK. Maybe they knew they wouldn't have to pass protect as much...and they didn't!

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 06:36 PM

Maybe it was a 3/1 split like JKM mentioned.

How Knight was reacting when Bell went in, sure didn't seem like a confidence destroyer. He was clapping and slapped bell on the back and smiling.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/8/2013, 07:27 PM
Carrie Underwood just didn't have it. Couldn't understand her lyrics and they forgot to teach her some moves. Cute girl though.

I hope they start Faith Hill next week.

cvsooner
9/8/2013, 07:29 PM
Let us also note on that play that Roy Finch completely misses a blitz pickup and block.

bluedogok
9/8/2013, 07:34 PM
If you are referring to the play where he lost the fumble on the blind-side hit, Knight needed to recognize that as soon as the primary receiver on that play blew his responsibility, it was time to either throw it away or take off with and Knight had enough time to do that. Unfortunately, that's one of those things that inexperienced QBs have to learn the hard way.
I don't doubt that, it just looked like one of those screen blocks where they chip the d-line and go down field, they didn't slow the defensive lineman near enough.

cburgsooner
9/8/2013, 07:36 PM
We know Bell fumbled the ball one the one yard line in the Kstate game, you are leaving out the bad parts.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/8/2013, 08:05 PM
We know Bell fumbled the ball one the one yard line in the Kstate game, you are leaving out the bad parts.

Yeah, and that was appeared to be an over-exhuberrance play of knowing he was fixing to score a big TD in a big game and blew it. The thing is, he has that moment out of the way and not likely to repeat it due to having that experience.

We'll most likely have to deal with many more of those types of scenarios with Knight due to his live game inexperience and over excitement as being a redshirt freshman QB and that was also way too eager in the spring game where he lost a fumble for a TD and darn near threw two picks to Trey Franks.

Strictly speaking as a Sooner fan, I am not into the whole building and developing for the future. I want to see the Sooners win and be successful now (and they can with this defense and special teams), not when Knight possibly has it all figured out by season's end after OU has 3 losses or some time next season. I just think Bell's maturity level is what OU really needs right now in regards to the Sooner offense.

So you cite one example and say I am leaving out the bad parts? Do you know the difference between singular and plural? Do you know how test bases are established? Apparently not.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2013, 01:03 PM
Blake Bell is not the quarterback of the future and this team is not going to win the NC this season..So we put off developing a guy that the coaches think can lead this team so we can win an extra game this season..go tit.

cvsooner
9/9/2013, 01:08 PM
Blake Bell is not the quarterback of the future and this team is not going to win the NC this season..So we put off developing a guy that the coaches think can lead this team so we can win an extra game this season..go tit.

Well, now it's a moot point. Knight is injured and Thompson is coming back from an injury. I'd say play Bell this weekend as he's the healthiest option and give everybody a week off.

KantoSooner
9/9/2013, 01:32 PM
And Thompson is practicing from today.

Hanta Yo!

SoCalBigRed
9/9/2013, 08:27 PM
They did him no favors in going away from a hot running game to try and build his confidence. The result was an interception, a meltdown by Knight, and the loss of momentum we had in the run game in the 3rd quarter.

Knight is lacking presence right now. Bell has it.

I agree, completely and now from reading reports... he was hurt, when we all saw him get hurt.

Bad call, bad play... could have bigger, worse consequences over the season. I hope Kendall is all they said he is.

Basically very poor field vision, instinct in that situation. He loves to lock onto receivers to. As annoying as the announcers were, they did point out, several blatant wide open receivers, where Trevor threw into the area of 2 receivers (and 2 defenders).

rock on sooner
9/9/2013, 08:56 PM
I just read this thread and you are all so smart. I think Boren should
fire the whole staff and pick and choose from all these experts! :highly_amused:

Keep in mind that the definition of expert is " x represents the unknown
and spurt is a drip under pressure"...:wink:

If you'd seen Stoops' presser, almost all of what you were all talking about
was covered.

Yeah, I know this is a message/opinion board and it is really fun reading!

Statalyzer
9/10/2013, 06:27 PM
Trevor Knight: Not Ready for Prime Time

His biggest Prime Time game will be in Dallas, and if a scrawny kid coming off an ACL tear can do that to Texas, so can Knight.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2013, 07:15 PM
His biggest Prime Time game will be in Dallas, and if a scrawny kid coming off an ACL tear can do that to Texas, so can Knight.

If you mean the BYU QB, he didn't look scrawny to me.