PDA

View Full Version : Why no Belldozer?

LakeRat
9/7/2013, 07:06 PM
Seemed to work extremely well last year. Already a stopped 3rd and 1, that rarely happens last year. 1st and goal from the 1 is stuffed, rarely happens last year. Need some help!!

soonerinabilene
9/7/2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah, if our new power I is out of the pistol, belldozer makes the most sense.

Squigglyline
9/7/2013, 07:35 PM
Wondering the very same thing...

soonerinabilene
9/7/2013, 07:52 PM
I mean, they knew exactly what he was going to do and he scored, what, 24 times last year? Surely it will still work on a 3 rd and 1 from the 3. And I really don't get trusting a freshman to throw it on 3 rd and 1 this year but not the all time conference leader last year?

LakeRat
9/7/2013, 07:58 PM
Stoops said they wouldn't be taking it out, and by the responses here, they haven't said why they aren't going to what worked last year. This is frustrating.

soonercastor
9/7/2013, 08:28 PM
Why no Millard?

SOONER44EVER
9/7/2013, 10:03 PM
Because at if something works well we quit using it.

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2013, 10:43 PM
Because at if something works well we quit using it.

Thanks Captain Obvious ;)

SOONER44EVER
9/7/2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks Captain Obvious ;) Reading what I wrote just made me realize I may have had too many Coronas.

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 10:59 PM
I mean, they knew exactly what he was going to do and
he scored, what, 24 times last year? Surely it will still work on a 3 rd and 1 from the 3. And I really don't get trusting a freshman to throw it on 3 rd and 1 this year but not the all time conference leader last year?

He scored those 24 Over the Last 2 years

11 in 2012 and 13 in 2011.

He completed 50% of his passes with 1 Int and No TDs in those 2 years
Come on Peeps Remember the Best QB is the one on the bench.:wink:

olevetonahill
9/7/2013, 11:02 PM
heres his stats

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/501882/blake-bell

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2013, 11:02 PM
I knew I should have stayed away from this place tonight.

soonerinabilene
9/8/2013, 08:03 AM
He scored those 24 Over the Last 2 years

11 in 2012 and 13 in 2011.

He completed 50% of his passes with 1 Int and No TDs in those 2 years
Come on Peeps Remember the Best QB is the one on the bench.:wink:

I'm not lobbying for him to be the starter. I was just saying if he was so effective in short yardage last year when we had a veteran qb throwing it, why not use him like that this year to help out the rookie, too?

85Sooner
9/8/2013, 10:46 AM
have always Hated the "belldozer" It is a gimmick and embarrassing that a University with the history and staff that the Sooners have, including the Quality of players OU attracts NEEDS to have a back up QB come in to get 3rd and short. Ridiculous!

yermom
9/8/2013, 12:38 PM
they were still lining up with 2 FBs and handing off to the RBs on occasion.

the truth is, we have no problem punching it in, we haven't needed the Belldozer on short yardage plays. we need someone that can complete passes.

we need at least some Hybl-style passing plays, or Thompson. something conservative, but productive. if we are going to roll up 300 yards on the ground, we shouldn't need that much vertical passing, but at least need something to get in a rhythm for passing plays

CatfishSooner
9/8/2013, 12:44 PM
I think some half-way decent TE blame would really help TK out (and Bell too)

yermom
9/8/2013, 12:49 PM
our TE seems to just be a 6th lineman, the only passing TE we have used is Millard from what i can tell

Curly Bill
9/8/2013, 02:12 PM
have always Hated the "belldozer" It is a gimmick and embarrassing that a University with the history and staff that the Sooners have, including the Quality of players OU attracts NEEDS to have a back up QB come in to get 3rd and short. Ridiculous!

Why be embarrassed to pick up first downs and put the ball in the end zone? Would it have been more prideful to do something else, something more traditional, and not got those first downs or scores? Frankly that doesn't make any damn sense - do what works!

JiminyChristmas
9/19/2013, 04:46 PM
I know some people hate the belldozer formation, but you cannot argue how effective it is. Against ND, I think we will need it in some situations.

The problem is now, do you want your starting QB taking those hits on a tough inside run? Probably not. With that in mind, could the belldozer be replaced by Millard Time? Substitute another fullback for the QB and direct snap to Millard to run those plays. I think it would work just as well. You still have the 1 WR out there just for the idea of a pass, but they've hardly thrown it out of that formation anyway so I can't see it would matter much if it was a non QB back there.

yermom
9/19/2013, 07:19 PM
the thing that was bad about the Belldozer was the predictability, and lack of versatility once he was out there.

how much did the Notre Dame DC **** when the short yardage guy from last year threw for 400 yards last week?

with Bell running the real offense, you have to account for the same guy doing both.

BigTip
9/19/2013, 10:21 PM
The problem is now, do you want your starting QB taking those hits on a tough inside run? Probably not.

This is what I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Before it was why risk injury to Landry? Especially when the back up weighs 260 pounds?
But now there is no backup quarterback. Don't risk hurting Bell. That's assuming he CAN be hurt and I am hoping he can't be!

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2013, 12:25 AM
This is what I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Before it was why risk injury to Landry? Especially when the back up weighs 260 pounds?
But now there is no backup quarterback. Don't risk hurting Bell. That's assuming he CAN be hurt and I am hoping he can't be!

There was a reference to Bell hurting his wrist (minor) on landthieves. Being large certainly tips the physics equation in your favor in a collision, but flesh is still flesh.

KantoSooner
9/20/2013, 08:45 AM
Maybe it's because our coaches have decided to stop driving heavy equipment and go with the Ford?