PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Brad Henry again?

badger
9/5/2013, 03:22 PM
If it's found that he's eligible for another term, would you vote for him?

okie52
9/5/2013, 03:24 PM
No!!!

badger
9/5/2013, 03:30 PM
In case you're wondering what prompted this poll (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-democratic-party-chairman-brad-henry-pondering-race/article/3879574)

okie52
9/5/2013, 03:36 PM
I didn't vote for him the first 2 times...but the dems are desperate for viable candidates in OK.

Henry also contemplated a senate run in 2010 if Coburn had chosen not to run.

Democrats Recruiting Brad Henry for Oklahoma Senate Run

With pundits still keeping a close eye on Senator Tom Coburn’s (R-OK) potential retirement, national Democrats are pressuring Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry (D) to run for the seat in 2010. He’s very popular in the state, with a recent poll giving him 66% approval.

Southern Political Report:

The word from the Sooner State is that Gov. Brad Henry (D), a moderate Democrat, is getting lots of pressure from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) to run for the US Senate next year if — as is looking likely — US Sen. Tom Coburn (R) decides to step down. Henry has managed to stay reasonably popular despite having to contend with a Republican legislature. Coburn, who has yet to say yea or nay on a 2010 re-election bid, raised only a pittance ($17,000) in the 1st Quarter, which suggests he isn’t planning to run again. .

Really more surprised he wouldn't challenge Inhofe in 2014 if he was going to pick a battle.

badger
9/5/2013, 03:39 PM
Really more surprised he wouldn't challenge Inhofe in 2014 if he was going to pick a battle.

Former (and perhaps soon-to-be) Tulsa mayor Kathy Taylor may be the Dem candidate for that one.

If the Dems have any state race that could challenge for, the current state superintendent seems to be lacking support

SoonerorLater
9/5/2013, 03:48 PM
I don't think ex post facto applies here. It's simply a change in requirements to hold office.

okie52
9/5/2013, 03:49 PM
I'll never forget this:

Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry Endorses Obama
RON JENKINS 04/23/08 02:24 PM ET AP

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry endorsed Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination Wednesday, calling him an inspirational leader who can unite the country.

"I believe Senator Obama is uniquely positioned to unite our nation and move beyond the divisiveness and partisan skirmishes that too often characterize politics as usual in Washington," Henry said early Wednesday in a statement released by the Obama press office in Chicago.

The endorsement one day after the Pennsylvania primary gave Obama the official support of three of the state's 10 superdelegates, while Clinton has the backing of one superdelegate. The rest are uncommitted.

Henry, a moderate Democrat in a Republican-trending state, said he had worked hard to build a consensus across party lines on such issues as education, job creation and health care and "that is why I am so enthusiastic about Barack Obama's candidacy."

"Senator Obama understands that the serious concerns facing average Americans must transcend partisan games if we are to rise to the challenges of today and tomorrow. He is a strong, committed and inspirational leader, ideally suited to bring together Democrats, independents and Republicans," Henry said.

Obama said he was proud of Henry's support "as we continue to build our grass-roots movement for change." He said Henry had "achieved real results" as a consensus builder himself in Oklahoma.

"We're fortunate to have Governor Henry's backing, and I look forward to working with him in the months ahead to bring about real change not just for Oklahomans, but all Americans," Obama said.

Henry became the first major Democratic elected official from Oklahoma to endorse Obama. The state's only Democratic congressman, Rep. Dan Boren, remains uncommitted as a superdelegate, although his father, David Boren, has endorsed the Illinois senator. David Boren is a former governor and senator.

The 44-year-old governor's endorsement came despite Obama getting only 31 percent of the Democratic primary vote in Oklahoma's Democratic primary on Feb. 5 against Hillary Rodham Clinton, who got 55 percent.

Yep, endorsing a guy that was anti oil and gas, supported a windfall profits tax, cap and trade, etc... was certainly the best guy for Oklahomans.

okie52
9/5/2013, 03:54 PM
Former (and perhaps soon-to-be) Tulsa mayor Kathy Taylor may be the Dem candidate for that one.

If the Dems have any state race that could challenge for, the current state superintendent seems to be lacking support

Dems are just going to have a hard time in statewide elections in OK. Henry might have a shot vs Fallin although I'm not sure why he would want to be governor again. Unlike when he was there before, it is now an overwhelmingly pub state legislature that can override almost any veto he would use.

FaninAma
9/5/2013, 04:52 PM
He lied about supporting tort reform.

okie52
9/5/2013, 06:46 PM
As I recall he vetoed it.

FaninAma
9/5/2013, 09:22 PM
As I recall he vetoed it. He did after he campaigned as a supporter of tort reform.

soonercruiser
9/5/2013, 09:33 PM
Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry Endorses Obama
RON JENKINS 04/23/08 02:24 PM ET AP

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry endorsed Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination Wednesday, calling him an inspirational leader who can unite the country.

"I believe Senator Obama is uniquely positioned to unite our nation and move beyond the divisiveness and partisan skirmishes that too often characterize politics as usual in Washington," Henry said early Wednesday in a statement released by the Obama press office in Chicago.

The endorsement one day after the Pennsylvania primary gave Obama the official support of three of the state's 10 superdelegates, while Clinton has the backing of one superdelegate. The rest are uncommitted.

Henry, a moderate Democrat in a Republican-trending state, said he had worked hard to build a consensus across party lines on such issues as education, job creation and health care and "that is why I am so enthusiastic about Barack Obama's candidacy."

"Senator Obama understands that the serious concerns facing average Americans must transcend partisan games if we are to rise to the challenges of today and tomorrow. He is a strong, committed and inspirational leader, ideally suited to bring together Democrats, independents and Republicans," Henry said.

Obama said he was proud of Henry's support "as we continue to build our grass-roots movement for change." He said Henry had "achieved real results" as a consensus builder himself in Oklahoma.

"We're fortunate to have Governor Henry's backing, and I look forward to working with him in the months ahead to bring about real change not just for Oklahomans, but all Americans," Obama said.

Henry became the first major Democratic elected official from Oklahoma to endorse Obama. The state's only Democratic congressman, Rep. Dan Boren, remains uncommitted as a superdelegate, although his father, David Boren, has endorsed the Illinois senator. David Boren is a former governor and senator.

The 44-year-old governor's endorsement came despite Obama getting only 31 percent of the Democratic primary vote in Oklahoma's Democratic primary on Feb. 5 against Hillary Rodham Clinton, who got 55 percent.

I'll never forget this:

Yep, endorsing a guy that was anti oil and gas, supported a windfall profits tax, cap and trade, etc... was certainly the best guy for Oklahomans.

Nice memory jogger Okie!
Dems don't have a very good recall of such stuff!

BTW - I though Brad had an operation and became Brandy?

badger
9/6/2013, 10:31 AM
As I recall he vetoed it.
Henry vetoed a lot of things... perhaps his veto button was stuck?