PDA

View Full Version : Christie refuses to take a stand on Syria

okie52
9/5/2013, 10:16 AM
Christie Defers to Congress, Won't Take Sides on Syria Strike
Wednesday, 04 Sep 2013 08:49 PM
By Cathy Burke

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie avoided taking sides on the contentious issue of a U.S. military response to the use of chemical weapons in Syria, saying a decision was up to Congress.

Although calling the use of chemical weapons "intolerable," the Republican governor declined to wade into the debate on whether the United States should get involved.

"I'm going to leave that to the people who represent us in Congress to make that decision," Christie said, adding he thought the New Jersey delegation would "do what they think is right for America," The Record reported.

Christie, appearing Tuesday at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, said he sympathized with the concerns of Syrian families in New Jersey who might be concerned about relatives.

"If I had seen some of the things that had happened over the last year-plus in Syria I'd be concerned if I had family there as well," he said. "And certainly the use of chemical weapons is something that is just intolerable for civilized society."

"I empathize with those folks who have relatives back in Syria but I'm going to let the policy-making be done by the people who are getting the bulk of the briefing on this, which is our federal representatives," Christie said.

Those will include lawmakers who, like Christie, are seen as possible GOP contenders in the 2016 presidential race, like Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida, Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky.

Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., who has come out in support of Obama's call for a military strike on Syria, led a hearing on congressional authorization Tuesday as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Christie told reporters that "we're fortunate in New Jersey to have someone who will be at the forefront of this discussion and helping to ... craft the policy along with the president," The Record reported.

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/christie-syria-chemical-weapons/2013/09/04/id/523661#ixzz2e2100f1q

This guy may be worse than Mcshame.

soonercruiser
9/5/2013, 09:40 PM
Oh just wait until Christie is refused service from the next hamburger joint.
He'll go "postal" and let you know what he thinks about Syrial!

8timechamps
9/5/2013, 10:12 PM
Surprise! A politician riding the fence.

I once liked Christie.

bluedogok
9/5/2013, 10:15 PM
...with a fence post up his .......

olevetonahill
9/5/2013, 11:39 PM
Please GOD can you Delete these Mother****ers from the Planet?

diverdog
9/6/2013, 04:12 AM
Surprise! A politician riding the fence.

I once liked Christie.

Has any Governor spoke out about Syria? Why single out Christie?

okie52
9/6/2013, 06:01 AM
Has any Governor spoke out about Syria? Why single out Christie?

Christie speaks out about a lot if things that aren't confined to NJ politics. He even went so far as to say NJ was lucky to have Menendez "crafting" policy along with the president even though Menedez is already on record for supporting the war....Christies stated " neutrality"
Is laughable.

REDREX
9/6/2013, 07:10 AM
Has any Governor spoke out about Syria? Why single out Christie?---I agree---If Barack had just kept his mouth shut no one would care about Syria

KantoSooner
9/6/2013, 08:38 AM
Christie's done pretty well for New Jersey....which is kind of the job description of a governor.

Just sayin'

SanJoaquinSooner
9/6/2013, 08:51 AM
Unless Governors receive military/intelligence briefings, they may not be in the best position to know what we should do.

Soonerjeepman
9/6/2013, 08:58 AM
he's preparing for the presidential race...

okie52
9/6/2013, 09:13 AM
New Jersey is near the bottom on unemployment rate at 8.6%....its neighbors NY and Pennsylvania are at 7.5%.

KantoSooner
9/6/2013, 10:45 AM
New Jersey's been a cesspool for a while. Christie's done some positive things with it. More than most/all of of his predecessors. Just like Booker's done some good with Newark. Not saying I'd agree with either one in a political philosophy class, but give them credit for some degree of focus on matters at hand.

If I'd lost my house to a hurricane and needed the roads to be cleaned up and electrical to be restored, I think I'd probably be pretty grateful to a governor who put partisan politics aside, rolled up his sleeves and got some goodies for my state. Not pretty, but that's partly what a governor does and has to do.

okie52
9/6/2013, 10:56 AM
Hopefully if you lost your house to a hurricane you had it insured.

I'll give Christie credit for being a successful politician. He has certainly showed some skills in working in a state that is overwhelmingly dem. But, I also know he would sell out just about any issue to get elected...he has even stated as much.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/6/2013, 12:40 PM
Christie got me pregnant.

KantoSooner
9/6/2013, 01:03 PM
Okie, my insurance doesn't cover the road in front of my house, or the power lines, or the water and sewer, without which my little slice of paradise is pretty well uninhabitable. It won't hurt to grant Christie some props for getting the feds off of high center. And if he had to pucker up to make it happen, well, that's what he needed to be doing. Not saying you have to vote for him, but getting on him for doing what he can for his state is taking it a bit far.

soonercruiser
9/6/2013, 01:38 PM
Christie's done pretty well for New Jersey....which is kind of the job description of a governor.

Just sayin'

I agree....BUT....
He is a poster child for some of the big mouthed NJ folks that I have known.

badger
9/6/2013, 01:47 PM
I agree....BUT....
He is a poster child for some of the big mouthed NJ folks that I have known.

It seems like every public personality from that region are big mouthed :)

REDREX
9/6/2013, 02:13 PM
New Jersey is near the bottom on unemployment rate at 8.6%....its neighbors NY and Pennsylvania are at 7.5%.---New Jersey AKA New York's Bitch

okie52
9/6/2013, 02:18 PM
---New Jersey AKA New York's Bitch

Heh...