PDA

View Full Version : Coach Holgerson Quote + Article

Jason White's Third Knee
9/4/2013, 11:55 AM
Coach Dana Holgorsen has been asked a lot about his views on playing in the Big 12 so early, especially at Oklahoma.
"Second week, 12th week, I don't know if it matters," he said. "The truth of the matter is I'd like to play them never, because they're pretty good."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/team-report-west-virginia-151540767--spt.html

I enjoyed that.

badger
9/4/2013, 11:57 AM
Win-win: Sam Bradford gets Tavon Austin in St. Louis, and we don't have to face him Saturday

Jason White's Third Knee
9/4/2013, 12:03 PM
Heh. Seriously. That kid was a nightmare.

Breadburner
9/4/2013, 01:37 PM
That would not happen this year......

Jack T.
9/4/2013, 01:39 PM
That would not happen this year......

This time last year, I'd have said you were insane if you told me it could happen. . .ever!

I have no idea what happened that game. . .

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2013, 01:47 PM
This time last year, I'd have said you were insane if you told me it could happen. . .ever!

I'll give the D coaches a partial pass. It was an experimental scheme that helped us get a win the week before against Baylor. I knew we would try it again against WVU. But WVU had a week to study it and counter with Austin in the backfield. My issue was we had no plan B when it was clear by half-time it wasn't working. Okay, I guess plan B was to just out-score them, but we cut it a little close on that front. :) I had hoped for a defensive plan B.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/4/2013, 01:58 PM

I have no idea what happened that game. . .Whatever did, repeated itself against Johnny Massengill Hymen, in the Cotton Bowl, very early this year.

8timechamps
9/4/2013, 02:13 PM

Mike Stoops tried to take away the passing options by back loading the secondary, and depending on the line to create pressure. It might have worked if the line could have created pressure. It didn't, which left the entire middle of the field open. Put a guy as shifty and fast as Austin in the game, and well...OU gives up huge chunks of yards. By the time Mike tried to make adjustments (and not very good ones) to put pressure in the backfield, our secondary was already set up to get burnt for deep gains. Throw in some really back tackling and, as Holgerson put it, it was the "perfect storm".

The good news is that it will probably never happen again. The bad news is that that game will remain in the minds of Sooner fans forever. Almost doesn't even feel like a win.

rock on sooner
9/4/2013, 02:20 PM
Win-win: Sam Bradford gets Tavon Austin in St. Louis, and we don't have to face him Saturday

Okay, how about this... we "let" Tavon run wild so the Rams would
draft him and give Sam a legitimate weapon! Izzat spin er whut?!

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2013, 02:45 PM
... The bad news is that that game will remain in the minds of Sooner fans forever. Almost doesn't even feel like a win.

I have to disagree on that one, 8time. That clutch, last minute drive finished off by a veteran adjustment at the line by Jones/Stills on 4th down made if feel VERY much like a win to me. To each his own, I suppose.

8timechamps
9/4/2013, 03:32 PM
I have to disagree on that one, 8time. That clutch, last minute drive finished off by a veteran adjustment at the line by Jones/Stills on 4th down made if feel VERY much like a win to me. To each his own, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I was jumping for joy when the clock hit 0:00. But, looking back at the game, all I really remember is how our defense got lit up. That's not normally what I think of when looking back at a win.

swardboy
9/4/2013, 05:25 PM
Okay, how about this... we "let" Tavon run wild so the Rams would
draft him and give Sam a legitimate weapon! Izzat spin er whut?!

I lak it a lote.

Salt City Sooner
9/4/2013, 05:37 PM
The most ridiculous aspect of it IMO, was that the day after the game I saw an Austin interview & he said that WVU had all of 2 plays running plays when he line up in the backfield; right, & left.

Widescreen
9/4/2013, 06:05 PM
I lak it a lote.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsm44vQ4RI1qa34gro1_500.gif

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2013, 06:23 PM
The most ridiculous aspect of it IMO, was that the day after the game I saw an Austin interview & he said that WVU had all of 2 plays running plays when he line up in the backfield; right, & left.

... and they only needed half of 'em.

ORANGESOONERFAN
9/4/2013, 06:41 PM
that game almost put me in intensive care....

bmjlr
9/5/2013, 08:25 AM
that game almost put me in intensive care....

Ha! This ^^^^^^^