PDA

View Full Version : FSU QB: I'm an OU fan, but I always wanted to go to Texas

TheUnnamedSooner
9/3/2013, 05:31 PM
Uh, what? :confused:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-phenom-qb-jameis-winston-wanted-texas-173337189--ncaaf.html

Jameis Winston completed 25-of-27 passes for 356 yards, four touchdowns and added a rushing touchdown in his collegiate debut Monday night – and it could have been with Texas.

Winston, Florida State’s redshirt freshman phenom, told ESPN’s Max Olsen in a 2012 interview that he wanted desperately to go to Texas, but couldn’t get the Longhorns to acknowledge he even existed. Fellow ESPNer Brett McMurphy reminded the country of those quotes during the 41-17 drubbing of Pitt.

Jameis Winston wanted to go to Texas but was never offered: "Dang, I'm good enough for Alabama & Auburn but not good enough for Texas"

Jameis Winston: "I'm an OU fan but I always wanted to go to Texas. If I'd gotten offer from Texas I'd be going to Texas right now" — Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) September 3, 2013

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman confirmed with Winston’s high school coach that the quarterback had called Texas “four or five” times and never received a call back.

Remember, this is the same Mack Brown that wanted the last two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks – Baylor’s Robert Griffin III and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel – to play defensive back for the Longhorns.

Winston could potentially be a third Heisman Trophy winning QB to get the snub by Brown and his staff. And they wonder why they’ve been “rebuilding” for the past few years.

All eyes on you, David Ash.

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2013, 06:00 PM
Confusing quotes indeed. But a sincere thanks to Mack for his negligence on this kid. It's only 1 game, but this guy might turn out to be good.

David Earl
9/3/2013, 06:12 PM
Confusing quotes indeed. But a sincere thanks to Mack for his negligence on this kid. It's only 1 game, but this guy might turn out to be good.

Mack has trouble selecting which QB to recruit... and sometimes which one to start. Since 1997 [wasn't that the year he started at UT?] he's only brought in two that I'd consider winners. I mean Colt and Vince, of course...

UteSooner
9/3/2013, 08:01 PM
Too many thoughts ran through my mind when I saw this earlier.
1. lol at Texas
2. Since he liked OU...maybe we missed out too...especially if they really ignored him
3. How many OU fans would rather play for Texas? Seems odd.
4. I like who we have anyway. Maybe Knight and this kid can face off in a playoff game or two...

swardboy
9/3/2013, 09:38 PM
I liked the U.S. Army, but joined the Soviet Union military back in the day.

MyT Oklahoma
9/3/2013, 10:05 PM
Classic! Someone forward this thread to Mack's mailbox.

KantoSooner
9/4/2013, 08:44 AM
To be fair, I'm sure there are many Poke players who secretly wish they were Sooners.

badger
9/4/2013, 08:54 AM
Mack sure is taking a beating with his recruiting lately, isn't he?

Recall that Cam Newton visited OU's campus after his lower division national championship about potentially going here. He saw Landry Jones et al and realized that we were set at quarterback.

Now, a Sooner/Stoops hater might read that as "Bob Stoops chose Landry Jones over Heisman trophy winner No. 1 overall NFL pick and Auburn's national championship quarterback Cam Newton!"