PDA

View Full Version : Polls update

badger
9/3/2013, 12:54 PM
OU is 15 in USA Today, 16 in AP poll (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OSU_No_13_No_14_in_college_football_polls_OU_No_15/20130903_93_0_NEWYOR600345)

Pokes remain highest ranked Big 12 team in both (and even the most orange hating of us have to admit they had the best opponent to beat the first week).

Other Big 12 ranked teams are Texas (in the mid teens with OU and OSU), TCU (low 20s) and Baylor (only AP poll at 25)

Therealsouthsider
9/3/2013, 09:41 PM
...slim pickings right now but thats okay, this team isnt ready for the bright lights, too bad we didn't pick up Louisville instead of WVU

ss

MyT Oklahoma
9/3/2013, 10:00 PM
I like it. But its still early. Ask me again at the end of this month.

badger
9/8/2013, 02:13 PM
Lol the 2005 championship game teams were dumped from both polls this week. Ou is 13 and 14 now

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 02:20 PM
What a crock. Five teams in the Top 25 with one loss guess who the first three are? SEC teams. Georgia (9), South Carolina (13), Florida (18). Who are the others? Well surprise...Notre Dame and rounding it out at 24 is TCU who must be good because their loss is to an SEC team. This SEC love is getting to the point of absurdity.

Therealsouthsider
9/8/2013, 02:21 PM
...I have a hard time with us being ranked ahead of teams like South Carolina even if they do have a loss, polls shouldn't be released until the third or fourth week

ss

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 02:33 PM
...I have a hard time with us being ranked ahead of teams like South Carolina even if they do have a loss, polls shouldn't be released until the third or fourth week

ss

I don't. What has South Carolina done? Lost to Georgia and beat a nondescript North Carolina Team 27-10 at home. The only reason South Carolina is rated this high is because they are a member of the SEC and the media needs a good story to hype in Clowney who has produced squat so far this year.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/8/2013, 02:48 PM
This week AP has OU at 14. And the USA poll has us at 13.

Therealsouthsider
9/8/2013, 03:18 PM
I don't. What has South Carolina done? Lost to Georgia and beat a nondescript North Carolina Team 27-10 at home. The only reason South Carolina is rated this high is because they are a member of the SEC and the media needs a good story to hype in Clowney who has produced squat so far this year.

...if you truly believe we are the 13th/14th best team in the country then power to ya...until the offense gets ironed out I don't think so

ss

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 03:19 PM

...if you truly believe we are the 13th/14th best team in the country then power to ya...until the offense gets ironed out I don't think so

ss

So we need to discredit our defense?

The offense is good as long as they find a game manager!

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 03:33 PM

ss

I don't know if we are the 13th/14th best team in the country. I don't know if if South Carolina is either. Based on what has transpired on the field so far why would a 1-1 SC team be ranked ahead of a 2-0 OU team? Giving up only 3.5 points per game avg. counts for something too.

Therealsouthsider
9/8/2013, 03:34 PM
...our defense won't make it thru the Big 12 until we develop some consistency/identity on offense, sorry, I'm not convinced by ULM and WVU

ss

Okie35
9/8/2013, 04:01 PM
...our defense won't make it thru the Big 12 until we develop some consistency/identity on offense, sorry, I'm not convinced by ULM and WVU

ss

If we can still run the ball like we have been then I don't see it as a problem.

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 04:07 PM

ss

Well I'm not all in either but my point is based on what has happened on the field thus far in the season what is it that you could point to that would have SC ranked higher than OU?

Okie35
9/8/2013, 04:11 PM
Well I'm not all in either but my point is based on what has happened on the field thus far in the season what is it that you could point to that would have SC ranked higher than OU?

We can beat SC their run defense is HORRRRRRRRRIBBBBBBLLLEEEE.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 06:05 PM
I don't see the problem with the rankings. I watched both UGA games and that is a good team and so is SC. There is no way our performance against WVU would have beaten either one of those guys.

Curly Bill
9/8/2013, 06:16 PM
I don't see the problem with the rankings. I watched both UGA games and that is a good team and so is SC. There is no way our performance against WVU would have beaten either one of those guys.

What this guy said^^^^^^.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 06:31 PM

Maybe our offensive performance. But our defense I think could have kept us in the game.

Watching UGA and SC I don't think either team is much better than OU. They are offensively, but definitely not defensively.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 07:18 PM
Maybe our offensive performance. But our defense I think could have kept us in the game.

Watching UGA and SC I don't think either team is much better than OU. They are offensively, but definitely not defensively.

Our D got tired in the 2nd half and the pass rush evaporated. If the WVU guy doesn't drop a sure TD, we have a 2 point game late and they are moving the ball better. And WVU is no where near as good as UGA or SC on offense. A good defense can certainly keep the game within reach, but against better teams, better have an effective offense as well. We'll find out soon enough against ND because I don't see us racking up 300 yards on the ground against those guys and 100 yds passing won't cut it.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2013, 07:21 PM

Our D got tired in the 2nd half and the pass rush evaporated. If the WVU guy doesn't drop a sure TD, we have a 2 point game late and they are moving the ball better. And WVU is no where near as good as UGA or SC on offense. A good defense can certainly keep the game within reach, but against better teams, better have an effective offense as well. We'll find out soon enough against ND because I don't see us racking up 300 yards on the ground against those guys and 100 yds passing won't cut it.

The late drive for WVU was the only sustained drive of the night for WVU.

Their only touchdown came early on a 75 yard run. After that, their offense did absolutely nothing.

The pass rush was solid all game. But late in the game it seems like Mike Stoops called off the blitzes and went more zone and it allowed more time for the QB.

Either way, so far our defense has done very well. Only time will tell if it holds up all season.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 07:27 PM
The late drive for WVU was the only sustained drive of the night for WVU.

Their only touchdown came early on a 75 yard run. After that, their offense did absolutely nothing.

The pass rush was solid all game. But late in the game it seems like Mike Stoops called off the blitzes and went more zone and it allowed more time for the QB.

Either way, so far our defense has done very well. Only time will tell if it holds up all season.

I'm not disagreeing. I just don't believe in WVU. They were one of the worst teams in the conference last season when they had their dynamic trio on offense, now departed. They could be better than I give them credit for, but watching the UGA/SC game looked like much higher level of play. I like our D too, but I'm not assuming we have a 2001 caliber squad yet.

SoonerorLater
9/8/2013, 07:33 PM

My problem with the rankings are that SC is given their position simply because they are an SEC team. Let me give an example. What if let's say...... Arizona St. had an identical scores/record against the same teams. Would they be rated with the same reverence as SC?

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2013, 09:52 PM
My problem with the rankings are that SC is given their position simply because they are an SEC team. Let me give an example. What if let's say...... Arizona St. had an identical scores/record against the same teams. Would they be rated with the same reverence as SC?

Can't answer that. I'm just commenting on rankings relative to OU. If SC should be lower, than OU should be lower too based on what I was. I've seen both games by both teams.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/9/2013, 07:37 AM
The late drive by WVU was intentional by OU. It was a two possession game and OU didn't want to potentially give up the big play on a quick score (since the defense was tired because of the Sooner offense and their 4 turnovers) and wanted WVU to burn clock and they did by burning the final 5 minutes and forcing rushed plays due to the clock ticking.