PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Was AAC or Big 12 more embarrassing last weekend

badger
9/3/2013, 12:32 PM
SEC's only embarrassment was Kentucky, what else is new. I am also giving reprieves to ACC (Va Tech's not ranked in every preseason poll anymore), B1G (because Nebby pulled it out versus Wyo... and everyone knows Iowa sucks already) and Pac 12 (only embarrassment was Eastern Washington/Oregon State)

Sooo... who really showed how bad its worst teams are... us or the conference formerly known as the Big East?

AAC (who reminds you that the champion gets an auto BCS berth):
-UConn lost to Towson
-South Florida lost to McNeese State

Big 12 (haha, Kansas was on bye... oh sh!t we still embarrassed ourselves...):
-KSU (lost to North Dakota State)
-ISU (lost to Northern Iowa)

En_Fuego
9/3/2013, 01:10 PM
I thought Northern Iowa played 8 man football. So I have to go with the Big12.

deweydw
9/3/2013, 01:14 PM
AAC, I have to give NDS some cred. They were FBS national champs. And that's going through a playoff.

tycat947
9/3/2013, 01:33 PM
NDSU is ranked #1 in FCS and Northern Iowa was in Top 10 so I'll give the nod to AAC.

rock on sooner
9/3/2013, 03:24 PM
Northern Iowa's QB is from Jenks and they've got a running back
that just might play on Sundays. QB is a kid named Kollmorgen...
he's pretty darn good. I think it wasn't an upset...

LRoss
9/3/2013, 04:04 PM
At least the B12 FCS losses were close. UConn and S Fla got rolled, at home, by combined 45 points.

Of course, one could argue that it's more embarrassing to the B12 because the AAC was already a joke with no expectations, but the AAC had by far the worst week of the AQ conferences, IMO.

B12 might be next after them, but the PAC should be right there too, with O State and W State taking some ugly L's as well.

badger
9/3/2013, 04:07 PM
W State taking some ugly L's as well
I don't really think of a road SEC loss as embarrassing, but then again, Auburn of now is not the same Auburn that won the national title via its $Cam a few years ago

LRoss
9/3/2013, 04:10 PM
Hmmm. I was apparently confused. I was somehow thinking that they'd dropped to a FCS. Whoops, my bad.

BoomerSooner123
9/3/2013, 04:29 PM
It is a young season but the first blush goes to the Big East +/-. Our embarrassment is a 10 team conference named for 12. I'm glad my kids are old enough to understand.

cleller
9/3/2013, 05:52 PM
Clemson, FSU?

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2013, 06:11 PM
Every big12 team that is expected to compete for the conference title won handily. (OSU,OU,UT,Baylor)

I haven't seen any analyst picking KSU and their loss wasn't that bad. NDST is a veteran, FCS champion team and it was still clear from watching that KSU would probably win that game 9 times out of 10.

UteSooner
9/3/2013, 08:34 PM
I haven't seen any analyst picking KSU and their loss wasn't that bad. NDST is a veteran, FCS champion team and it was still clear from watching that KSU would probably win that game 9 times out of 10.

I don't know about anyone else, but if last year's champion (or co-champion) from any other FBS conference lost to an FCS team...I'd laugh at the whole conference. It looks horrible.

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2013, 09:05 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but if last year's champion (or co-champion) from any other FBS conference lost to an FCS team...I'd laugh at the whole conference. It looks horrible.

What does last year have to do with it? KSU was almost a 1 man team on offense with Klein and Brown was by far their best player on defense - they're gone. NDST had lots of returners from a national championship squad and KSU is green and rough around the edges. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. Nor do I see how it reflects on the conference (even if I did GAS). I guess our '05 team made the whole conference blush after losing to TCU (not FCS, but lowly WAC) after winning the conference the year before and appearing in the BCS title game. Nevermind that most our '04 starters were drafted to the NFL - we were defending champs afterall. No, the whole conference was a laughing stock. (Hmmm, who won the BCS title that year. Must have been SEC! SEC! I guess).

UteSooner
9/3/2013, 10:00 PM
What does last year have to do with it? KSU was almost a 1 man team on offense with Klein and Brown was by far their best player on defense - they're gone. NDST had lots of returners from a national championship squad and KSU is green and rough around the edges. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. Nor do I see how it reflects on the conference (even if I did GAS). I guess our '05 team made the whole conference blush after losing to TCU (not FCS, but lowly WAC) after winning the conference the year before and appearing in the BCS title game. Nevermind that most our '04 starters were drafted to the NFL - we were defending champs afterall. No, the whole conference was a laughing stock. (Hmmm, who won the BCS title that year. Must have been SEC! SEC! I guess).

I said it LOOKS bad. I'm not saying that K-State losing one game proves that our conference is weak. One could make the argument, but we're only talking about which conference should be more embarrassed after week 1. The average fan (especially one who doesn't follow the Big 12) doesn't follow the inner workings of the KSU program (who left the team and so forth)....nor do they even know how good NDSU is. I think most will simply see that a team won the conference (not to diminish OU's "share" of it) only to start the next year losing to an FCS team. If the Big East champ turned around and lost to an FCS team we'd all laugh and call it evidence of their suckiness. I'm well aware that rosters change and teams are different from year to year. But when else did this happen to team straight off a BCS conference championship (and yes, in the PR battle...losing to TCU isn't in the same ballpark as losing to an FCS team). Whether or not anyone cares about the perception of the conference is another matter. I'm only saying that K-State's loss is the most embarrassing part of week 1 for any other conference. Louisville didn't lose to FCS...Florida State didn't...Alabama didn't...Stanford didn't...Wisconsin didn't (we'll leave Ohio State out of it)...And I can't even tell you who won the other conferences last year because who cares. No other team went from champ to FCS loser. Even we don't care about Kentucky losing to an FCS team...who cares if Kansas does...or other bottom feeders...it's just not the same. I think the only people to see it differently are from "within" the conference, and based on the premise of the thread...we're assuming the perception of outsiders is what we're dealing with. Only my opinion of course...

MyT Oklahoma
9/3/2013, 10:03 PM
I said it LOOKS bad. I'm not saying that K-State losing one game proves that our conference is weak. One could make the argument, but we're only talking about which conference should be more embarrassed after week 1. The average fan (especially one who doesn't follow the Big 12) doesn't follow the inner workings of the KSU program (who left the team and so forth)....nor do they even know how good NDSU is. I think most will simply see that a team won the conference (not to diminish OU's "share" of it) only to start the next year losing to an FCS team. If the Big East champ turned around and lost to an FCS team we'd all laugh and call it evidence of their suckiness. I'm well aware that rosters change and teams are different from year to year. But when else did this happen to team straight off a BCS conference championship (and yes, in the PR battle...losing to TCU isn't in the same ballpark as losing to an FCS team). Whether or not anyone cares about the perception of the conference is another matter. I'm only saying that K-State's loss is the most embarrassing part of week 1 for any other conference. Louisville didn't lose to FCS...Florida State didn't...Alabama didn't...Stanford didn't...Wisconsin didn't (we'll leave Ohio State out of it)...And I can't even tell you who won the other conferences last year because who cares. No other team went from champ to FCS loser. Even we don't care about Kentucky losing to an FCS team...who cares if Kansas does...or other bottom feeders...it's just not the same. I think the only people to see it differently are from "within" the conference, and based on the premise of the thread...we're assuming the perception of outsiders is what we're dealing with. Only my opinion of course...

Ditto.

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2013, 10:55 PM
I said it LOOKS bad...

Still doesn't look bad to me, but I'll admit I'm dense. I figure any semi-informed CFB fan at least knows the status of the top teams, or predicted to be, top teams in each BCS conference. KSU isn't one of them this year. What does look bad for the conference is KSU and OU taking their co-champ squads to bowl games and getting their azzes kicked on a national stage.

UteSooner
9/5/2013, 10:39 AM
What does look bad for the conference is KSU and OU taking their co-champ squads to bowl games and getting their azzes kicked on a national stage.

We agree on this being worse. When our co-champs can't hang with the non-champs of two different conferences...you know something is wrong. Granted, Oregon and A&M were great last year.

badger
9/5/2013, 11:48 AM
Lb9MzVOmueo

Just. Watch.

ddub0224
9/5/2013, 12:52 PM
Just the fact that the B12 and AAC are being compared against each other is embarassing!

agoo758
9/6/2013, 01:33 AM
Just the fact that the B12 and AAC are being compared against each other is embarassing!

Not as embarrassing as the people on this board who thought we might lose to ULM.....

8timechamps
9/6/2013, 11:11 PM
The BIGGEST embarrassment of last weekend was Oregon State losing to Eastern Washington. At least KSU lost to a perennial FCS powerhouse. Oregon State has no excuse.

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2013, 11:17 PM
The BIGGEST embarrassment of last weekend was Oregon State losing to Eastern Washington. At least KSU lost to a perennial FCS powerhouse. Oregon State has no excuse.

And The Beaver OSU was ranked (only 25th, but still..) while KSU was not. So there were some expectations of OSU this season. But I still have problems attaching the emotion of "embarrassment" on how poorly some group of 18-22yo play a game of football. I've never felt embarrassed.

8timechamps
9/6/2013, 11:18 PM
And The Beaver OSU was ranked (only 25th, but still..) while KSU was not. So there were some expectations of OSU this season. But I still have problems attaching the emotion of "embarrassment" on how poorly some group of 18-22yo play a game of football. I've never felt embarrassed.

Good point, I think "shocked" is a better word.