PDA

View Full Version : Traffic law question

jkjsooner
9/3/2013, 10:57 AM
So I have a question. I'm curious who you all think has the right of way in the following scenario:

1. East/west traffic does not stop. There are no cars going east or west.
2. North/south traffic has a stop.
3. Person A heading north and making a left turn (towards west) arrives at the stop sign first.
4. Person B heading south and going straight through the intersection arrives second.

Who has the right of way, A or B? I've always thought person A has the right of way as s/he was the first to approach the stop sign. My wife thinks B has the right of way since A is turning in front of B.

I've found nothing in the various state traffic manuals I've seen online. Doing a quick search it seems a slight majority agrees with me but definitely not a strong majority. Seems a little unsettling that there is so much disagreement considering it could be a case of life and death.

According to the few posts by policemen, it seems that at least in their jurisdictions neither has the right of way and both would be ticketed in the case of an accident as both are responsible for yielding to other traffic in the intersection.

This last part doesn't surprise me. It seems that the laws are written to make it easy on police and judges. They don't have to determine who was there first just ticket everyone for failure to yield.

olevetonahill
9/3/2013, 11:30 AM
1st one to stop has the right away. But why get in a wreck just to be a hard head about it ?

If Im turning I usually motion the other driver on thru, I aint in that big a hurry.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/3/2013, 12:52 PM
Based on my admittedly limited secondhand experience, if you are turning it is best to let the person going straight go. My brother was hit in the rear quarter panel as he was turning and the other driver made no effort to avoid him but he was the only one ticketed.

jkjsooner
9/3/2013, 01:32 PM
1st one to stop has the right away. But why get in a wreck just to be a hard head about it ?

If Im turning I usually motion the other driver on thru, I aint in that big a hurry.

I'm not generally in a hurry and I try to make eye contact with the other guy but I also don't want to annoy those who are waiting on me to go.

I believe we got in this discussion because my wife (who was going straight and arrived at the stop after the person turning) zoomed ahead in front of the other person. Being an idiot, I asked her why she jumped in front of the other person and she said, "Because he was turning and I have the right of way."

But anyway we have two responses and they conflict each other. I did learn what you said vet but you'll be surprised how many people disagree. I know you spent some time in law enforcement so I'll take it that that is the way it works in Oklahoma but from what I've read in Texas neither has the right of way.

Boomer.....
9/3/2013, 01:43 PM
First person to stop should go first. If it is really close, then wait and see just in case the other person thinks they are in the right.

cleller
9/3/2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah, the first one at the stop sign should go first, BUT that is based on honesty.

The key element is that you must yield from a stop sign to any vehicle already in motion. So, if the left turn vehicle starts in motion as you remain stopped, (likely because he arrived first) you yield to him. Otherwise vehicles turning right or proceeding straight have the right of way over someone turning left.

I don't know if that sounds clear or not. The best method is to be double sure when turning left, as it is always easier to see who was turning left.

olevetonahill
9/3/2013, 01:59 PM
I'm not generally in a hurry and I try to make eye contact with the other guy but I also don't want to annoy those who are waiting on me to go.

I believe we got in this discussion because my wife (who was going straight and arrived at the stop after the person turning) zoomed ahead in front of the other person. Being an idiot, I asked her why she jumped in front of the other person and she said, "Because he was turning and I have the right of way."

But anyway we have two responses and they conflict each other. I did learn what you said vet but you'll be surprised how many people disagree. I know you spent some time in law enforcement so I'll take it that that is the way it works in Oklahoma but from what I've read in Texas neither has the right of way.

The point is even tho you may have the right of way dont mean you can get away with INSISTING on it. sounds like your wife was in a hurry

Turd_Ferguson
9/3/2013, 04:42 PM
I was told by my company's safety dept, that there is no law for who go's first at a 4 way stop...I've never bothered to look it up. Growing up, I was taught that peeps pulling up to the stop sign at the same time should let the person to their right go first. Now, I just pull up and stop and wait til I think it's my turn, which is normally a few seconds after I stopped. I can't imagine how unaware/stupid you'd have to be to have a wreck at a 4 way...

rock on sooner
9/3/2013, 07:17 PM
I was told by my company's safety dept, that there is no law for who go's first at a 4 way stop...I've never bothered to look it up. Growing up, I was taught that peeps pulling up to the stop sign at the same time should let the person to their right go first. Now, I just pull up and stop and wait til I think it's my turn, which is normally a few seconds after I stopped. I can't imagine how unaware/stupid you'd have to be to have a wreck at a 4 way...

As much as it pains me to agree....^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ and I know
that TF was just layin in tha weeds...waitin...

Turd_Ferguson
9/3/2013, 08:40 PM
As much as it pains me to agree
You know you love me, ya old fart...

rock on sooner
9/3/2013, 08:45 PM
You know you love me, ya old fart...

Hey, who yew callin "old"?:highly_amused: By Gawd, Ima just passed....
oh, hell, I fergot.......

FirstandGoal
9/3/2013, 10:07 PM
Get a room you two!

8timechamps
9/5/2013, 06:17 PM
First person to stop should go first. If it is really close, then wait and see just in case the other person thinks they are in the right.

Then, accelerate just enough to make the other person think you are going to go. Then stop. Once they think you are letting them go and they start to accelerate, quickly accelerate again. That will make the other person stop, and you will stop because you realize the other person was going to go. Repeat this process a few times until one of you eventually waves the other person through.

I've tested this method many times, and it works flawlessly.

olevetonahill
9/5/2013, 10:05 PM
Then, accelerate just enough to make the other person think you are going to go. Then stop. Once they think you are letting them go and they start to accelerate, quickly accelerate again. That will make the other person stop, and you will stop because you realize the other person was going to go. Repeat this process a few times until one of you eventually waves the other person through.

I've tested this method many times, and it works flawlessly.

I wouldnt say Flawlessly! I did that once and the ****er shot at me !