PDA

View Full Version : Is the Blue Smurf Empire headed for collapse?

stoopified
9/1/2013, 06:52 PM
Was scanning scores on SI.com when I ran across Washington 38 Boise State 6.BSU aura is definitely punctured and Chris Peterson(however the heck it is spelled) may wish he had taken one of the plum jobs dangled in his direction. Is the Smurf dream over or does Chris right the ship?

SoonerorLater
9/1/2013, 06:56 PM
It may not be over but I can hear the fat lady clearing her throat.

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2013, 07:00 PM
I don't follow BSU, but I think they are pretty young. I think one of the true tests for a coach is how they develop young players, so I guess we'll see. Our '05 team was a great example. They were so green, they barely knew which way to line-up for the opener. By seasons end, they had developed into a solid squad.

okiewaker
9/1/2013, 07:01 PM
The dream is DONE. BTW,,anyone know where Hawkins is these days?

bluedogok
9/1/2013, 07:19 PM
Hawkins was fired from the Montreal Alouettes five games into the season.

Boise looked bad, real bad, especially with a senior QB.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
9/1/2013, 07:49 PM
I won't even try to lie-- this gives me a happy.

Don't know how long they'll be down, but this loss to U-Dub pretty much eliminates the usual semi-annual speculation about whether they deserve a BCS bowl berth as they cruise through yet another season whilst blowing out the hapless nobodies of which their conference is comprised.

Welcome (back) to irrelevance, smurfs.

REDREX
9/1/2013, 08:08 PM
For the second year in a row Boise eats it in week one and we won't have to hear about them. Now they can go and play their weak schedule and no one will care

yermom
9/1/2013, 10:10 PM
their schedule is a little better than it used to be, isn't it? or did the MWC lose everyone that was any good?

MyT Oklahoma
9/1/2013, 10:49 PM
Does anybody really care? Well do you?

Nothing to see here, move along.

CatfishSooner
9/1/2013, 11:02 PM
bawahhahahahhahaha

Piware
9/2/2013, 12:01 AM
bawahhahahahhahaha

So much for the Tater Tots!

Mazeppa
9/2/2013, 12:01 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2s9wpr6.jpg

stoopified
9/2/2013, 05:08 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2s9wpr6.jpgYou just destroyed my eyes.

SoonerStormchaser
9/2/2013, 10:18 AM
Guys, it doesn't matter how ****ty they get...ESPN will always show that ****ing Fiesta Bowl and declare it one of the greatest upsets of all time...even though Boise was ranked ahead of us and they were undefeated.

ouwasp
9/2/2013, 11:19 AM
Glad to see that program consigned to oblivion again, at least for this season. But, sadly, ESPN still has Louisville to pump as the program that plays a sucky sled, but is "too good to ignore". I hate media darlings.

bluedogok
9/2/2013, 12:28 PM

You just destroyed my eyes.
Still not as bad as Roos Field at Eastern Washington.
http://web.ewu.edu/groups/athletics/facilities/RoosSkyShot.jpg

BlownGP
9/2/2013, 06:18 PM
To be honest. I dont know what's worse hearing about Boise State or Johnny Manziel

aurorasooner
9/2/2013, 07:57 PM
To be honest. I dont know what's worse hearing about Boise State or Johnny ManzielI got a text tonight that the geezer SEC blowhard that ESPiN hired called Manziel a punk today on one of their CFB talk shows. I really can't say that I disagee with that statement (if he did), but like you, I'm tired of hearing about him.
I don't know whether that network is having 2nd thoughts about buying him the Heisman last year or they're just trying to create more controversy which gets more uneducated CFB fans to watch their lame talk shows and buy in to their hype. They don't have the a$m/Bama game on their network, but I guess they're going to build it up anyway, while CBS just sits back and LTAO.

70sooner
9/2/2013, 08:51 PM
Guys, it doesn't matter how ****ty they get...ESPN will always show that ****ing Fiesta Bowl and declare it one of the greatest upsets of all time...even though Boise was ranked ahead of us and they were undefeated.

and against an OU team that wouldd not even be ranked in the top 25 of all time OU teams. However, PT will always have a special place in OU lore and my heart, esp with his comeback to beat da Bugeaters in the CCG.

Scott D
9/3/2013, 11:19 AM
Washington dominated that game, and it was definitely in stark contrast to the bowl game they played in December. Keith Price looked a lot more like the QB that everyone was excited about in the shootout with Baylor 2 years ago than the guy who was inconsistent last year.

badger
9/3/2013, 11:35 AM
http://web.ewu.edu/groups/athletics/facilities/RoosSkyShot.jpg

They beat Oregon State. Are they the new Boise?

So long as they don't go all Fiesta Bowl on us, I welcome college football's new discolored turf overlords

PS: Five stars for the welcomed return to Bois Estate sucking and being irrelelvant

soonerloyal
9/3/2013, 11:49 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/usmcholmans/SOONERS%20Photos/WelcomeToBoiseIdaho.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/usmcholmans/media/SOONERS%20Photos/WelcomeToBoiseIdaho.jpg.html)

badger
9/3/2013, 11:55 AM
pinch me, i'm dreaming

:les:Go Orange, Go Big Blue, Fight, Fight, BSU
Fight Broncos celebrate the orange and blue
Boise will stand and cheer for BSU
Fight for distinction and our alma mater
bravely defending BSU
Fight on Courageously for Boise State
Success and Honor make her great (B S U)
Boise's proud tradition heads up competition
Glory for B - S - B - S - U
Go! Orange! Go! big! Blue!
Fight! Fight! B-S-U![hairGel]

Soonerjeepman
9/3/2013, 12:00 PM
maybe the rule about changing their uni colors really did have an effect~

badger
9/3/2013, 12:11 PM
maybe the rule about changing their uni colors really did have an effect~

The NCAA only considered the rule, but decided against it. It was a Mountain West rule for Boise before they begged them to stay. Suddenly blue-on-blue uniforms on blue turf didn't seem so bad when they were flirting with the Big East/American/etc

Soonerjeepman
9/3/2013, 12:23 PM
really? I didn't know they got away with it...did know it wasn't ncaa.

Salt City Sooner
9/3/2013, 02:10 PM
They beat Oregon State. Are they the new Boise?

So long as they don't go all Fiesta Bowl on us, I welcome college football's new discolored turf overlords

PS: Five stars for the welcomed return to Bois Estate sucking and being irrelelvant
You have a phone call from Central Arkansas on line 1 :

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0905/pg2_arkansas1x_600.jpg

badger
9/3/2013, 02:15 PM
oh dear lord its striped :(

rock on sooner
9/3/2013, 02:18 PM
Boise State, Eastern Washington, Central Arkansas...are there any
more out there to hurry blindness?

VA Sooner
9/3/2013, 10:39 PM

I'm seeing this bright blue thing in my dreams now... Turn It Down!!!

bluedogok
9/3/2013, 11:06 PM

Surprised K-State didn't do that first.

Boise State, Eastern Washington, Central Arkansas...are there any
more out there to hurry blindness?
New Braunfels Canyon High School (Between Austin and San Antonio) has an all red field with green trim, it doesn't have the black trim like EWU.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/san-antonio/74168d1295024079-new-braunfels-canyon-high-paints-football-nb-canyon-football-field.jpg

BlownGP
9/3/2013, 11:41 PM

ohhh god. Whats next..

Salt City Sooner
9/4/2013, 01:38 AM
ohhh god. Whats next..
Well, thankfully, Hawaii no longer goes by Rainbow Warriors......:D

stoopified
9/4/2013, 08:24 AM
http://web.ewu.edu/groups/athletics/facilities/RoosSkyShot.jpgNo effect whatsoever.EVERYONE knows crimson is good for the eyes.I will say That I don't ever want OU to go with a crimson field.

stoopified
9/4/2013, 08:34 AM
pinch me, i'm dreaming

:les:Go Orange, Go Big Blue, Fight, Fight, BSU
Fight Broncos celebrate the orange and blue
Boise will stand and cheer for BSU
Fight for distinction and our alma mater
bravely defending BSU
Fight on Courageously for Boise State
Success and Honor make her great (B S U)
Boise's proud tradition heads up competition
Glory for B - S - B - S - U
Go! Orange! Go! big! Blue!
Fight! Fight! B-S-U![hairGel]Posting this stuff should be a banning offense. Could be worse if it was osu or ut I would campaign for permaban. :)

badger
9/4/2013, 08:56 AM
Posting this stuff should be a banning offense. Could be worse if it was osu or ut I would campaign for permaban. :)

I stand by my mockery of BS...U. Their fight song is cheesy and includes a lot of BSing in it

bluedogok
9/4/2013, 10:35 PM
No effect whatsoever.EVERYONE knows crimson is good for the eyes.I will say That I don't ever want OU to go with a crimson field.
The aerial is not as intense as field level shot......
http://essentialmomentsphotos.com/Blogstuff/Roos4.jpg

Then you have the Lindenwood University field....
http://themellowjihadi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Lindenwood-University-Bellevilles-Football-Field.jpg

8timechamps
9/5/2013, 04:29 PM
I don't think Boise is down as much as Washington is pretty good. Sarkasian was the brains behind the USC teams (Carroll just provided the money to the players, which he can do legally now). I expected Washington to get much better under Sark, but it's taken a little longer than I thought it would. I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington in the PAC 12 title discussion soon.

Boise played the only team that could beat them, and they lost. The good news is they've taken themselves out of the BCS discussion. The bad news is they will probably win out the rest of the season.

UteSooner
9/5/2013, 08:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Boise hasn't won an outright conference title in 3 years running. I bet they won't win one this year either. Perhaps they peaked with Petersen's coaching of Hawkin's recruits? I doubt Washington will seriously threaten Stanford and Oregon for the Pac 12 north. Petersen should have bailed when he lost Kellen Moore.

8timechamps
9/5/2013, 08:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Boise hasn't won an outright conference title in 3 years running. I bet they won't win one this year either. Perhaps they peaked with Petersen's coaching of Hawkin's recruits? I doubt Washington will seriously threaten Stanford and Oregon for the Pac 12 north. Petersen should have bailed when he lost Kellen Moore.

You could be right (about Washington), but I do think the Huskies are a team that could upset one of the front-runners. I don't consider Boise an elite team, but they were no competition for the Huskies. I'm not convinced that Oregon is the same Oregon we're used to, and beating down Nichols State didn't prove anything. Stanford, on the other hand, is a very solid team with a very good defense. We'll know by the middle of October if Washington is for real though, they play Stanford and Oregon in back to back weeks.

As for Boise, I've always thought that Peterson was the mastermind behind Boise's rise. Hawkins went on to do nothing (and he inherited a decent Colorado team), meanwhile Boise has continued to remain a top 25 team. If this is the end of Boise (and I still don't believe that's the case), it's not because Peterson is a bad coach.

UteSooner
9/5/2013, 09:36 PM
As for Boise, I've always thought that Peterson was the mastermind behind Boise's rise. Hawkins went on to do nothing (and he inherited a decent Colorado team), meanwhile Boise has continued to remain a top 25 team. If this is the end of Boise (and I still don't believe that's the case), it's not because Peterson is a bad coach.

I've always had that same thought about Petersen being the mastermind (we all did after Hawkins ate it at Colorado). But there does seem to be something said about their inability to totally dominate (as demonstrated by lack of outright titles) their conference the last few years. He's certainly not a bad coach, but might not be a "top 10" coach as he is frequently cited to be...whenever those types of offseason articles get written. I expect they have a loss or two more this year and then next year start with a new QB again. The longer they go without the limelight...the harder it will be to get back. They've also gone through a lot of coordinators and such...that's always hard on programs as well. So we'll see. All I know is I'm happy to see them lose.

Soonerfan88
9/5/2013, 09:54 PM
If I were a recruit, that idiotic blue field would make me remove them from any consideration even if they were my only D1A offer. It truly hurts my eyes to look at it.

8timechamps
9/5/2013, 09:54 PM
I've always had that same thought about Petersen being the mastermind (we all did after Hawkins ate it at Colorado). But there does seem to be something said about their inability to totally dominate (as demonstrated by lack of outright titles) their conference the last few years. He's certainly not a bad coach, but might not be a "top 10" coach as he is frequently cited to be...whenever those types of offseason articles get written. I expect they have a loss or two more this year and then next year start with a new QB again. The longer they go without the limelight...the harder it will be to get back. They've also gone through a lot of coordinators and such...that's always hard on programs as well. So we'll see. All I know is I'm happy to see them lose.

I can agree with that. I too have scratched my head at the "top 10" lists Peterson's name appear on during the off-season. He's a good coach, but not elite, and I think he knows that about himself. That's why he has remained at Boise, even though there is now some pressure to win there, it's never going to be the kind of pressure he would feel at a big time school.

The one thing that could spell the end to the Boise success is losing consistently. I know that's not exactly deep analysis, but having a down year or two at a lot of schools doesn't prevent those same school from rebuilding and being good again. At Boise, a place that's already very difficult to recruit to, winning is all they have. Once that's gone, it'll be a long, long time (if ever) before they would become relevant again.

So, I guess I just contradicted my original post huh? I give up. :)

bluedogok
9/5/2013, 10:10 PM
Some coaches just aren't major college guys, some are great at a mid-major "underdog" level but they just don't have what it takes to feed a monster, Franchione is probably the best example of that.

stoopified
10/25/2013, 08:55 PM
Looks like te Mormons are preparing the Coup de grace for the Smurfs,leading 24-3at half.

olevetonahill
10/25/2013, 09:15 PM
Looks like te Mormons are preparing the Coup de grace for the Smurfs,leading 24-3at half.

31-6 now F-uck the smurfs The Mormons are eating their Taters :wink:

stoopified
1/17/2014, 09:35 AM
Bowl loss,8-5 record and now Peterson is gone. THE END ?

KantoSooner
1/17/2014, 09:39 AM
It was all a mass hallucination, like Jim Morrison 'exposing himself' in Miami.

stoopified
1/17/2014, 02:54 PM
It was all a mass hallucination, like Jim Morrison 'exposing himself' in Miami.Itwas just anLSD flashback? That explains sooooo much,after all who would really have an electric blue football field?

badger
1/17/2014, 03:16 PM

sooo glad the big 12 isn't saddled with this so-so academics, and now solid "meh" athletics program. They would have added nothing except travel expenses to the conference... and mountains. lovely, lovely mountains (oh wait we have WVU so we have mountains already, tee hee)

picasso
1/17/2014, 03:27 PM

and against an OU team that wouldd not even be ranked in the top 25 of all time OU teams. However, PT will always have a special place in OU lore and my heart, esp with his comeback to beat da Bugeaters in the CCG.
That '06 team had a lot of guts.

KantoSooner
1/17/2014, 04:18 PM
Itwas just anLSD flashback? That explains sooooo much,after all who would really have an electric blue football field?

That was my first clue.

8timechamps
1/17/2014, 09:21 PM

I suspect so.

My thinking has always been that Peterson was THE reason for Boise's rise, so we'll see now that he's gone. The one thing Boise still has going for them is a weak conference, and there is some indication that a couple of MWC are poised to take over (Fresno State/Colorado State). It could be the start of a dark era for Boise.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/18/2014, 12:58 AM
I guess I am in the minority. The loss to BSU has never bothered me because it was a fair and square game.

Now, the Oregon conspiracy, or getting ref-jobbed out in Lubbock...that is a different matter all together!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/18/2014, 01:00 AM
That being said, I HATE the blue field! Makes me nauseous when I see it. And I hope they are never on tv again.

Eielson
1/18/2014, 01:31 AM
BSU was good before Petersen. The fact that Hawkins sucked at Colorado doesn't change that. Koetter probably had as much or more to do with their rise as anybody.

Salt City Sooner
1/18/2014, 01:41 AM
I guess I am in the minority. The loss to BSU has never bothered me because it was a fair and square game.

Now, the Oregon conspiracy, or getting ref-jobbed out in Lubbock...that is a different matter all together!

You may be in the minority, but you've got at least one other vote in your corner. The loss didn't bother me because frankly, we were lucky to be there. It's the media blowing that game indescribably out of proportion that still makes me smh. Their narrative to this day is that it was Oklahoma; freakin' OKLAHOMA that BSU beat that night, so that automatically made it a gargantuan upset without even taking a look at the teams' personnel/respective accomplishments of that year to date.

SoonerStormchaser
1/18/2014, 04:31 AM

Yes on the latter...but the former wouldn't bother me as much if ESPN didn't have to rub it in our face like a ****-filled pie for the three years after that with constant replays about how it was such a "Cinderella Story." Those ****ing smurfs were ranked ABOVE us...they were UNDEFEATED...how does that equate to them being an "underdog?"

Curly Bill
1/18/2014, 06:58 AM
I don't care who was undefeated or who was ranked where! Getting beat by BSU was a punch in the stomach. I question how much those saying otherwise are now just engaging in some sort of revisionist history?

...and if we didn't want ESPN to rub our faces in it we shouldn't have lost.

olevetonahill
1/18/2014, 08:43 AM
I don't care who was undefeated or who was ranked where! Getting beat by BSU was a punch in the stomach. I question how much those saying otherwise are now just engaging in some sort of revisionist history?

Yup, I aint gonna dwell on past losses. **** happens, deal with it and Move on and try to never let it happen again.

swardboy
1/18/2014, 09:46 AM
The only way I'd allow that blue monstrosity of a field on my tv is if OU were playing on it. And.that.ain't.evar.going.to.happen.

BoulderSooner79
1/18/2014, 10:52 AM

Didn't feel worse than any other bowl loss to me, and I never had that lingering dislike of BSU that seemed to take over most posters here. They were clearly well coached while Peterson was there and they played an exciting style of football (and no, not because of trick plays). I actually wish we had gotten another crack at them when both teams had good squads.

ouwasp
1/20/2014, 08:48 PM
I know it's sorta un-American, but I've most always disliked Cinderella college fb teams. Hope the clock has struck midnight forever for Boys St.

BoulderSooner79
1/21/2014, 12:04 AM
I don't really care if they are "Cinderella" or not. If they're good they're good, if not they're not. BSU had a few really good teams. The best was probably that one that got upset by Nevada and Collin Kaepernick which sent TCU to the Rose Bowl. It just proves that no matter what conference you're in, it's really hard to go undefeated.

tycat947
1/21/2014, 06:59 AM
sooo glad the big 12 isn't saddled with this so-so academics, and now solid "meh" athletics program. They would have added nothing except travel expenses to the conference... and mountains. lovely, lovely mountains (oh wait we have WVU so we have mountains already, tee hee)

This! Boise State Junior College was just a blip and and would just have drained money from the pockets of other conference members and wouldn't have provided a single penny of benefit to conference members! DISASTER AVERTED!!!

Boomer.....
1/21/2014, 08:28 AM
Bring them to the Big 12. That would be par for the course.