PDA

View Full Version : The good,the bad, and the ugly?

stoopified
9/1/2013, 06:09 AM
The good:

AK can really run

Finch looks like a new man,attitude adjustment worked

AK looked good at times passing the ball,3 TD passes illustrate that

The D stood tall,this ULM cored points on everyone last year and we slammed the door on them

Kickoffs were outstanding,this Hodgson kid I think set a record for touchback kicks in a game

The bad:

AK threw 2-3 passes s that should have been picked and one that apparently was

Ak missed wide open recievers on touch passes,must improve that and I think he will

O-line was very inconsistant,too many busts and penalties,when focused,they did well

The ugly:

LMU offense for most of the game

The announcers,all game;espected more from Thulin who knows OU well

OUr passing game overall,we must get better at passing the ball when we face better D

Allin all I thought it was good opening win although we have concerns that need to be adressed,thankfully we have WV and Tulsa coming up who apparently have FAR more concerns than we do.If we show the improvent I hope for and expect in the next couple of weeks, I like our chances against THE CRYING IRISH.

Okie35
9/1/2013, 06:31 AM
AK was pretty nervous. I'm glad we kept running to calm him down. He's a talent, and the team will definitely get better. The younger guys on defense are pretty **** good. I actually love the team this year and the fact its not a top ten team in the beginning. There's a really good chance to sneak up on some ppl this year.

swardboy
9/1/2013, 06:35 AM
The radio broadcast team thought the interception was actually AK's best pass of the night.

stoopified
9/1/2013, 06:44 AM
The radio broadcast team thought the interception was actually AK's best pass of the night. To be fair,while I don't think it was his best pass,it reallly wasn't a bad pass.In fact upon reflection I really think it should be a fumble because the reciever had it and the defender stole it from him.The point that there were 2-3passes that should've been picked remains valid IMHO.

deweydw
9/1/2013, 07:08 AM
in the beginning, his accuracy wasn't good. But after settling down it seemed to get better. There were a few passes that should have been caught.

Soonerjeepman
9/1/2013, 08:05 AM
He had 3 batted down...2 should have been picked there...had one in endzone that our receiver knocked loose...thinking his size..6'1, vs lj at 6'4 might b it.

I luved the fact both guys will tuck and run...

backfield is full of studs...may not have a 1k rusher, we'll have 4 - 500 yrd rushers, plus qb,

D looked good, plus 2 starters were out

sp teams looked grt as well

penalties for most part were on 2nd teamers (bell did not look happy)...

good to see 2nd team runnin off instead of just handing off.

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2013, 08:23 AM
backfield is full of studs...may not have a 1k rusher, we'll have 4 - 500 yrd rushers, plus qb,

Built Ford tough!

Therealsouthsider
9/1/2013, 09:13 AM
....to be fair you have to mention that there were a handful of drops by receivers as well, I distinctly remember 3 - 4 including a deep ball that hit the receiver in both hands

ss

cherokeebrewer
9/1/2013, 09:22 AM
Built Ford tough!

Keith Ford's gonna hurt somebody and Alex Ross will slap 'em. They're both very promising young ones. Slow start for TK but got better once he settled down...not bad for his 1st college start. RB's all ran hard...team played hard. I'm very impressed with Tapper & Striker as young players and just the overall improvement of the defense. I love the attack style. It's still early yet, but no complaints here.

SoonerMarkVA
9/1/2013, 09:56 AM
He had 3 batted down

This to me looked like the biggest thing he needs to work on. His physical memory is apparently still passing over HS D lines. He's going to need to re-train that release a bit to account for the Big Boys he'll be facing from here on out.

HateTheWhorns
9/1/2013, 10:24 AM
This to me looked like the biggest thing he needs to work on. His physical memory is apparently still passing over HS D lines. He's going to need to re-train that release a bit to account for the Big Boys he'll be facing from here on out.

Agree that his release point is not the best, but in fairness I only remember one batted ball from a lineman playing at the line of scrimmage. Two of the other "batted" balls were DEs/LBs dropping into the slant zones (ala Jason White against LSU in 2003 NC game). No one is going to get throws over a player in that position. They were just good calls by ULM and our QB did not pick those up.

CatfishSooner
9/1/2013, 10:33 AM
I love the idea of AK faking the handoff and bootlegging for TD

SoonerorLater
9/1/2013, 10:56 AM
I am more than encouraged. This had to be one of the worst passing performances for an OU team in the Stoops era. Knight was off target on about half of his throws. Looked really bad for most of the first half. Why am I encouraged? Because we looked dominant even with sub par passing. For the first time in a long time even if our QB isn't having a good night throwing the ball we can win football games.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/1/2013, 10:58 AM
AK's first game as a frosh QB wasn't perfect? I ok with that. He still looked great. And Ford looks amazing. I was glad to see Bell in there. Lots of positives in that game.

What was the scoop with Ross? That was ridiculous. Did I miss something? It looked totally unprovoked.

soonercastor
9/1/2013, 11:18 AM
There seemed to be some confusion on quite a few plays, that was expected since it was the first game but they will have to clean that up.

SoonerorLater
9/1/2013, 11:26 AM
As long as the defense plays like it did last night we will do just fine. TK will improve, maybe dramatically, as he settles in. Worst case TK doesn't settle in we still have other quality QB's waiting in the wings for their opportunity. As we continue to run the ball things will open up for us passing. Ford looks like the real deal and Finch looks like he will be getting the ball more as his blocking skills are not as critical as they were with LJ taking the snaps. Getting Finch in open space with the ball needs to be a priority of this offense.

Wishboned
9/1/2013, 11:29 AM
It seemed a lot of our penalties came late, after the game was in hand.

I liked the fact that Stoops put Bell in early in the 4th. I'm not that nervous about Knight running with the ball because I think we have a more than capable backup who is ready to take the reins at any time.

Breadburner
9/1/2013, 12:43 PM
Need to improve on 3rd down......

SouthFortySooner
9/1/2013, 04:24 PM
AK's first game as a frosh QB wasn't perfect? I ok with that. He still looked great. And Ford looks amazing. I was glad to see Bell in there. Lots of positives in that game.

What was the scoop with Ross? That was ridiculous. Did I miss something? It looked totally unprovoked.

Ross, "QUIT WOOKIN AT ME"! Bap!

ouwasp
9/1/2013, 04:38 PM
Need to improve on 3rd down......

I would say 1st down......did everybody notice how many 2nd and 10s there were?