PDA

View Full Version : Sumlin..guess it makes sense

Soonerjeepman
8/30/2013, 10:25 AM
Still makes me want to call him a little *itch...worry about your johnny boy and the fact he totally got away with ncaa infractions as well...(okay maybe a bit harsh to call him that...nothing against the guy and I'd do the same, BUT I'd make sure MY house was in order first...)

The Texas A&M Aggies may have left the Big 12 Conference for the ultra-competitive SEC, but it appears they still have a grudge against their former Big 12 mates. Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin decided to speak out against what he considers a loophole that helps the Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State Cowboys, a loophole he feels needs to be closed.

Sumlin talked to Yahoo Sports about the loophole, and then after the interview, he tweeted the link to get the story more attention. So, what has the Aggies coach so worked up that he wants to get OU and OSU into some NCAA trouble?

Well, the NCAA created a rule six years back that restricts schools from holding out-of-state satellite camps if it is more than 50 miles from their campus. This shut the Sooners and Cowboys completely out of the state of Texas. Well, the Texas Longhorns don’t hold satellite camps and the Aggies are not allowed to because of NCAA rules. On the other hand, Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU hold their camps all over the state of Texas.

The Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State Cowboys found a way to do so as well. Basically, both Oklahoma Big 12 schools partner up with Division 3 school in Texas and the D3 schools hold the camps and hire the Sooners and Cowboys coaches to work the camps for them.

Well, Kevin Sumlin told the SEC about this tactic and he wants them to pressure the NCAA to close that loophole to block OU and OSU from holding the satellite camps. See, the fact is that if he can keep Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy from having Texas camps, he can hopefully block them from getting the recruits he wants for Texas A&M.

It’s kind of sad, but it might be what Kevin Sumlin needs to do if his Texas A&M Aggies want to continue to compete in the SEC.

badger
8/30/2013, 10:29 AM
The 50-mile rule must have been created by dinky New England states that encompass a 50-mile radius, a few hundred thousand people, but yet still get two U.S. Senators and sovereign statehood status.

...sorry for being political. How bout this: I think the rule is dumb, NCAA and SEC both.

SoonerKnight
8/30/2013, 10:38 AM
Agreed. Can't play by the rules then change them I guess that is what Sumlin is trying to do.

KantoSooner
8/30/2013, 11:04 AM
Okay, apparently I missed something. NCAA rules prohibit Aggie from doing what Tech et al are doing? How so?

And, here's an idea: AD can lend his name to a string of camps nation-wide...and then hire a copious number of OU coaches to work in them. Seems legal to me. Hell, he could even discount the cost to next to nothing. Issue personal letters inviting 5 star players to be his personal guest.

I know, it could be the GA Awesomeness Camp Experience. Gerald McCoy and Adrian Peterson Football Camps.

badger
8/30/2013, 11:20 AM
Okay, apparently I missed something. NCAA rules prohibit Aggie from doing what Tech et al are doing? How so?

It's an SEC rule that prevents Aggie from doing what Tech et al do in this case... probably because everyone was sick of Fat Fulmer bringing their state's recruits to Tennessee

Mac94
8/30/2013, 11:27 AM
Eh ... more of the recruiting game ... everyone tries to get a leg up on everyone else while hindering others ... I don't know when OU and oSu started doing these ... but if they were going on when Sumlin was part of coach Stoops staff I doubt he was against them ... his job was to do his best to win at OU. Now that he's at A&M his job is to do everything in his power to win at A&M ... so he "attacks" these camps as a way to block OU and oSu in Texas recruiting. All part of the game. Personally ... don;t really care one way or the other.

Boomer.....
8/30/2013, 11:29 AM
Mack is also throwing fits about the camps.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 11:33 AM

Hmmmm ... okay ... opinion changed ... if it's driving Mack nuts then by all means they need to be allowed! Austin is just way more fun when ol thin skinned Mack has his unmentionables in a bunch over something ;)

Soonerjeepman
8/30/2013, 12:18 PM

dumba$$...(mack not you) he CAN do it as well but doesn't...

jkjsooner
8/30/2013, 12:43 PM
The whole rule is bullcrap. It gives the schools of larger states a distinct advantage. Texas Tech can hold camps all over the state of Texas (269k square miles) but OU and OSU are limited to Oklahoma (70k square miles).

If they want to say camps have to be held on campus or within 50 miles of campus then I'd call if fair but allowing all the Texas schools to cover almost four times the area of Oklahoma schools is utter bull****.

KantoSooner
8/30/2013, 12:49 PM
I'd push it national as outllined above. NCAA seems to be either asleep or dead. Make hay. And if all you're doing is giving deserving young players some needed coaching, well, who could possibly be against that?

jkjsooner
8/30/2013, 12:56 PM
I'd push it national as outllined above. NCAA seems to be either asleep or dead. Make hay. And if all you're doing is giving deserving young players some needed coaching, well, who could possibly be against that?

Yeah, for the life of me I can't see the issue. Sorry that Texas and A&M feels like others are invading their state but they don't own Texas high school kids.

Why the NCAA concerns itself over state borders is beyond me. Why do they think that Tech has more right to Dallas than does OU? Norman is a hell of a lot closer to Dallas than Lubbock.

I get tired of Texans thinking they're all that just because they happen to live in a state that should have been broken up into four or more states. If we combined Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas that wouldn't make us any different than we are today. (It would help that the state's flagship university could be more exclusive but other than that it wouldn't make any difference.)

stoopified
8/30/2013, 02:28 PM
I don't know anyone at aTm can actually BELIEVE Johnny football didn't get paid.