PDA

View Full Version : ALREADY sick of the SEC SEC SEC

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/29/2013, 07:04 PM
I started this young college football season at about the 90% capacity level on SEC hype. I'll be doggoned if I'm not sick of it already.

Sabanball
8/29/2013, 07:43 PM
:wink:

8/29/2013, 08:26 PM
This country NEEDS a CFB Nat. Champ from somewhere other than the nauseatingly overhyped league that has won it lately.

no, not domer, the cows, usuc nor orange aggy, either

Mac94
8/29/2013, 08:27 PM
sorry ... its something the SEC does that keeps them in the forefront media wise. Starting tonight its an SEC double header ... Saturday just about every big game is SEC vs someone.

on to week 2 .... a top ten matchup between Georgia and S. Carolina ... guess where Gameday will be. Week three ... another top ten game with Bama and A&M.

The SEC is good at setting up their schedule for media attention.

badger
8/29/2013, 10:19 PM
Maybe instead of paying for better players Ole Miss should have paid for better coaches nyuck nyuck nyuck

Mac94
8/29/2013, 10:22 PM
Hard to see this Ol Miss squad doing much unless they improve ALOT in the next few weeks. Thought they may give Texas fits ... but they way they are looking tonight hard pressed to see them doing any better than last yr.

badger
8/29/2013, 10:54 PM
Hard to see this Ol Miss squad doing much unless they improve ALOT in the next few weeks. Thought they may give Texas fits ... but they way they are looking tonight hard pressed to see them doing any better than last yr.

just think if you all still played them annually you could have been part of the Longhorn Network after all :rcmad: :mack:

Mac94
8/29/2013, 10:57 PM
Yeah ... how short sighted we were. Oh well ... we'll suck it up having to play crappy SEC games on national TV. Sigh

jkjsooner
8/30/2013, 08:19 AM
This country NEEDS a CFB Nat. Champ from somewhere other than the nauseatingly overhyped league that has won it lately.

no, not domer, the cows, usuc nor orange aggy, either

I'd take any of those or except maybe orange aggy. (If OSU won one I'd be happy for them but I wouldn't want to come within a 100 miles of any OSU fan.)

Heck, and this point I'd root for Miami over anyone in the SEC. Now go back and tell my 1990 self that and watch my head explode...

badger
8/30/2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah ... how short sighted we were. Oh well ... we'll suck it up having to play crappy SEC games on national TV. Sigh

I know I would rather play Kentucky and Vanderbilt regularly than my longtime forever and ever rival Hook em

Zin
8/30/2013, 09:19 AM
Something about this year in general seems lackluster. All the usual places I visit just seem not very excited about the season.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 09:28 AM
I know I would rather play Kentucky and Vanderbilt regularly than my longtime forever and ever rival

Lol ... instead of Texas we have LSU (we have a bit of history here with the corndogs) ... instead of you all we have Bama ... instead of Tech we have Arkansas (more history), instead of oSu we have Auburn (all in all kind of a wash in the long term) ... we lost the 'Battle of the Brazos,' a game most Aggies stopped caring about in the 1990's. And we get S. Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia, Vandy, Florida, Tennessee instead of Kansas, Iowa St., Kansas St .... okay ... we still get stuck with Mizzou.

All in all I think we're gonna be okay here. Honestly ... while A&M is an SWC team at it's heart, that conference is dead and gone. But ... we are more SEC than old Big-8 ... and the Big-12 just never felt quite "right" as a fit. Don;t get me wrong ... I loved the old Big-8 but it wasn;t quite a good fit for A&M. The SEC "feels" more "home" than the Big-12 ever did. And .... we have had a desire to go SEC since the early 1990's.

As for Texas ... first ... I do think we will end up playing them regularly again at some point, although it will be awhile. Second ... and I will only speak for myself ... but I really don;t miss the game. That is strange becuase I really thought I would ... I loved the A&M - Texas game ... always looked forward to it. But, oddly, I haven;t missed it. I love having LSU back and its cool to see Arkansas every year and Bama is cool also. the game I miss from all the realignment miss really is OU-Nebraska ... so wish Sooner and Huskers could become an annual game again.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 09:32 AM
Something about this year in general seems lackluster. All the usual places I visit just seem not very excited about the season.

Depends on where you go .... although I have felt a lack of excitement in Big-12 areas. Part, I think, is that the Big-12 is in transition and lacks a real power program (right now). Texas looks good on paper but Horn fans here in Austin remain very sceptical of Mack and really want to see the team before buying in. OU has a ton of question marks ... although for me ... I am excited to see Trevor Knight. Part I think is SEC fatigue and the general feeling that Bama winning it all again is all but certain as why bother. I think in the SEC there is excitement ... I know there is at A&M ... but nationally ... the SEC is hurting the game a bit as it seems its a forgone conclusion that the SEC will win it all again.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2013, 10:33 AM
I like how you guys goaded lsu into being your new Thanksgiving day rival. Problem is most lsu fans don't look at you as a rival just another interloper. It's pretty sad when even coon *** aggie looks down on you.

Are you going to change your fight song to "Catch a tigger by it's tail?"

badger
8/30/2013, 10:41 AM
I'd rather not chase away the only reasonable Aggie on the Internet, so I'm trying not to poke fun too much, but yeah, every "rival" they consider a "rival" has a very lopsided victory margin over them. About the only one that was ever close was Tech. If I recall correctly, Leach got Tech ahead of A&M before he got (unfairly) canned

Mac94
8/30/2013, 10:45 AM
I like how you guys goaded lsu into being your new Thanksgiving day rival. Problem is most lsu fans don't look at you as a rival just another interloper.

Depends on the LSU fans just like it depends on Aggie fans. Younger fans on both sides don't seen A&M vs LSU as a rival because they haven't seen or lived the series ... some of us "older" fans on both sides remember the game well. Back when I was a student our two biggest games were LSU early and Texas late ... hated LSU with a deep passion and they hated us. It'll take time to develop again ... but there is history and potential ... just have to get the younger kids up to speed. For younder Ag fans that "education" begins in late November with a trip to Baton Rouge.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 10:50 AM
I'd rather not chase away the only reasonable Aggie on the Internet, so I'm trying not to poke fun too much, but yeah, every "rival" they consider a "rival" has a very lopsided victory margin over them. About the only one that was ever close was Tech. If I recall correctly, Leach got Tech ahead of A&M before he got (unfairly) canned

LOL ... hard to chase me away. As for series history ... very true ... although our series with LSU isn't to bad ... it's 20-28-3 ... not horrible considering roughly 2/3s of the games were in Baton Rouge. As for Tech A&M still leads that all time series but it's close. And Leach was railroaded ... horrible mistake by Tech. The bad series total is really against Texas ... although it's not as bad as oSu's versus OU.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2013, 10:52 AM
I don't know any younger fans. The guys I play golf with are older guys and they pretty much look at you guys like piggie. You're just replacing piggie on Thanksgiving weekend and piggie is just another game you don't want to lose. One thing about lsu though is they don't have any natural rivals. Their rivals should be ole **** or miss st, but it hard to look at a team as a rival when you're kicking their *** every year.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2013, 10:56 AM

I know Mac's a good guy, I'm just becoming "get off my lawn" guy when it comes to the sec. That's what living down here will do to you. Geaux Saints, though.

KantoSooner
8/30/2013, 10:58 AM
I think an excellent rivalry game for LSU would be Oregon. You could whip some good hate up between such opposing fan bases. As a bonus, I really wouldn't give a nutria's butt who won. It'd all be good.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2013, 11:01 AM
That would be awesome. Then they can play the tree huggers (Oregon) and the nut huggers (aTm).

Zin
8/30/2013, 11:05 AM
Depends on where you go .... although I have felt a lack of excitement in Big-12 areas. Part, I think, is that the Big-12 is in transition and lacks a real power program (right now). Texas looks good on paper but Horn fans here in Austin remain very sceptical of Mack and really want to see the team before buying in. OU has a ton of question marks ... although for me ... I am excited to see Trevor Knight. Part I think is SEC fatigue and the general feeling that Bama winning it all again is all but certain as why bother. I think in the SEC there is excitement ... I know there is at A&M ... but nationally ... the SEC is hurting the game a bit as it seems its a forgone conclusion that the SEC will win it all again.

Just overall. I usually get a pickem game going with about 40-50 participants. This year only about 25 care to play. The SEC fans are about the strongest presence, but even then it is mostly Alabama fans with a few others that support teams in the SEC. They don't mention their team though, usually just talk about the SEC, riding Alabamas coat tails.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 11:09 AM
One thing about lsu though is they don't have any natural rivals.

True in a sense ... I think back in the day ... like WAY back ... Tulane was but then over time Tulane faded away as a program. right now I'd say they look mostly at Bama but thats more because Bama is so good and a fellow west division foe.

As for Arkansas ... I don't think LSU has a long history with them ... not like A&M does. A&M has had some long runs with LSU ... we played as series from 1942-1942 (all but 3 games at LSU, 1 in Dallas, 1 in the Orange Bowl, 1 in College Station) ... then had a long series from 1960-1975 with every game at LSU. During that 60's and 70's series A&M began to change quite a bit ... in 1960 we were an all male school with maditory Corps membership ... by 1975 we were a full University with a growing student body. Both A&M and LSU wanted to continue the series but LSU demanded that the series stay in Baton Rouge ... A&M wanted to go to a home and home series. LSU balked and the series ended for a decade (and it should be noted, A&M finally tuned the corner on LSU in 74 and 75 with A&M blowing out LSU 39-8 ... a loss that left LSU fans fuming). LSU finally agreed to resume the series as a home and home in the ealry 1980s (A&M was down again, btw) and A&M and LSU played from 1986-1995 with LSU dominating early and A&M dominating late. After 5 losses and with 2 games remaining on the contract LSU backed out of the contract and refused to pay the contracted penalty. LSU fans will say LSU backed out because of SEC expansion (which occured in 1992) and the need for additional home games (the 1996 game would have been in Baton Rouge) ... but there was alot of mistrust by A&M officials and A&M refused to shceulde LSU again. Funny, though, that when A&M was again down ... during the coach Fran years (remember 0-77) LSU decided it wanted to resume the series with A&M. So now we're conferecne foes ... and on the plus side .... unless LSU wants to run from the SEC ... they can't run away from us when we start beating their backsides year after year once again.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 11:12 AM
I know Mac's a good guy, I'm just becoming "get off my lawn" guy when it comes to the sec. That's what living down here will do to you. Geaux Saints, though.

The one reason I'm here is that I am also a Sooner fan ... as I've said in the past ... my dad was OU class of 74 and I grew up going to Sooner games. I ended up at A&M becuase I graduated from a HS in Texas and in state tution costs trumped out of state tution costs. At the time A&M was in the SWC, OU was in the Big-8 ... we both hated Texas ... who knew we'd end up in the same conference for awhile. I will talk SEC and A&M when they are broguht up on this board ... generally don;t start topics on either.

badger
8/30/2013, 11:18 AM
they can't run away from us when we start beating their backsides year after year once again.

Great! You can prove you belong by taking them out at the 2011 Cotton Bowl in your home state and everything...oh wait...
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/T+Cotton+Bowl+LSU+v+Texas+r5we_2HHhXal.jpg

Well you know what? You'll show them on your home turf in your inaugural SEC season right there in College Station... OH WAIT...
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/1748277/20121020_kdl_ad1_152.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Mac94
8/30/2013, 11:21 AM
LOL ... I said once we start ... in the last two series it took us a bit. In the last one LSU beat us in 86, 87, 88, and 90 ... then we ran off the 5 in a row before they tucked tail and ran.

swardboy
8/30/2013, 11:26 AM
Don't ever start another sec thread here...EVAR!

Mac94
8/30/2013, 11:28 AM
If you're talking to me ... I didn't start it, lol.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2013, 11:51 AM
True in a sense ... I think back in the day ... like WAY back ... Tulane was but then over time Tulane faded away as a program. right now I'd say they look mostly at Bama but thats more because Bama is so good and a fellow west division foe.

From what I gather, their "rivals" tend to change depending on who's good. Back in the 50's and 60s it was Ole ****. Apparently they had a good hate fued with Miss St back in the Jackie Sherrill days. Bammer wasn't a rival until Saban got there.

jkjsooner
8/30/2013, 01:27 PM
After 5 losses and with 2 games remaining on the contract LSU backed out of the contract and refused to pay the contracted penalty.

I remember those games. I definitely remember listening to one on the radio while I was working a summer job. I worked at a state park and we always had to go back on Labor Day weekend to work even though we were already back in school. It must have been 1992 as that looks like the only time you played them on that weekend during the period I worked there.

That was before everyone assumed all the SEC teams would beat every other team in the country. I'm exaggerating a bit. I just get sick of the assumption that a team is great just because it's in the SEC.

I know A&M was much improved last year but that team was pretty much a Big 12 team (both style wise and recruits) who set records in the SEC.

Mac94
8/30/2013, 01:41 PM
I just get sick of the assumption that a team is great just because it's in the SEC.

Well ... this weekend could be a good one for the Big-12 vs the SEC. Oklahoma St. should blow out Mississippi St. and TCU could beat LSU ... that should be a close one but if Patterson can get his troops past the Tigers it'll be a huge win for TCU and nice pub for the Big-12 ... and I do think TCU can win. If TCU does win and Clemson beats Georgia it'll dent the SEC perception this season. Bama should destroy VT but it's possible that Leach and Washington St beats Auburn. And some are predicting Arkansas to lose to Louisiana and it's also possible that Petrino and W. Kentucky could take down Kentucky.

jkjsooner
8/30/2013, 01:46 PM
As for the SEC winning so many championships in a row, well, for starters they've won all the games so you have to give them credit for that.

Other than that it's been a culminations of some things:

1. The SEC teams have been given the opportunity to play in the championship game when other's haven't. Just look at the year LSU won it with 2 losses. The benefit of the doubt has swung so far towards the SEC when it comes to comparing teams with like records.

2. The SEC teams haven't done as good of a job of knocking their title contenders out lately. It's almost like they've been in collusion the last couple of games of the year to make sure nobody beats the team who may play for the title.

3. A lot of the traditional powers have fallen on hard times. Miami, FSU, USC - none of these teams are close to what they were a decade ago. Outside of maybe Ohio State, there aren't really any traditional powers who are a major threat this year...

4. The SEC likes to pretend that they've dominated in national title games and they have for a good number of them but there have been a few toss-ups that went their way. I think the OU/Florida game was essentially a toss-up (even though I thought they would beat us handily going into the game). The Oregon/Auburn game could have be won by either team. Even though the game wasn't close, Texas was definitely winning on both sides of the ball when McCoy went out.

Sabanball
8/30/2013, 02:59 PM
Wanna stop all the SEC media love and string of dominance? Its real simple--Then start getting the best players and winning NC's again. As long as you(all non sec teams)continue to do neither, the current trend is going to continue, no matter whether we use the BCS or a playoff system.

mainline13
8/30/2013, 03:12 PM
Wanna stop all the SEC media love and string of dominance? Its real simple--Then start getting the best players and winning NC's again. As long as you(all non sec teams)continue to do neither, the current trend is going to continue, no matter whether we use the BCS or a playoff system.

That would be nice and all, but for the immediate future, I would be quite satisfied with getting you, personally, off this board. I mean, it's quite the compliment to the OU program, your being so desparate to be validated by our fan base, but at some point, it just gets to be too much.

But that's just me.

Sabanball
8/30/2013, 11:11 PM
That would be nice and all, but for the immediate future, I would be quite satisfied with getting you, personally, off this board. I mean, it's quite the compliment to the OU program, your being so desparate to be validated by our fan base, but at some point, it just gets to be too much.

But that's just me.

Sorry, I'm not going anywhere. :cocksure:

8/31/2013, 12:04 AM
I would be quite satisfied with getting you, personally, off this board. I mean, it's quite the compliment to the OU program, your being so desperate to be validated by our fan base...

he's here since there prolly aren't any bamer message boards