PDA

View Full Version : So close...So very, very close....

KantoSooner
8/28/2013, 10:19 AM
It is delicious to see how close we're getting to the utter collapse of Texas as a football school. A couple more years of failure, highlighted by being abused by the Sooners might just do the trick.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2013/8/27/4665250/fire-mack-brown-texas-longhorns-football

Mjcpr
8/28/2013, 10:24 AM
You want him to fail so they can go hire Art Briles and commence to kicking our asses? Pass. I hope Mack wins just enough to keep him around for another decade or so.

starclassic tama
8/28/2013, 10:28 AM
You want him to fail so they can go hire Art Briles and commence to kicking our asses? Pass. I hope Mack wins just enough to keep him around for another decade or so.

yeah, all it takes is the right coach in there and texas becomes a powerhouse.

Boomer.....
8/28/2013, 10:34 AM
Texas has everything it takes to be successful -- when it comes down to the bottom line, there are no excuses.

So very true. You have probably the biggest recruiting mecca in your backyard with kids jumping at the bit to sign. You have all the money in the world to have top notch facilities. All this, yet they struggle to be competitive in the Big 12 in the last few years. Mack does a HORRIBLE job developing kids and it shows with their lack of talent. As long as he sticks around, I will be a happy man.

KantoSooner
8/28/2013, 10:37 AM
I want to see them collapse; I didn't say I wanted Mack gone.I think that Mack is a fine gentleman, the 'Dean' of football coaches and a perfect fit for texas. I hope he stays there up to and long after his natural death at the age of 106.

cherokeebrewer
8/28/2013, 11:16 AM
If a coach can't win at Texas, he aint a good coach...Mack has done pretty good most of the time, especially with Colt & 'Radio', but he seems to have fallen into the CEO abyss.

badger
8/28/2013, 11:30 AM
I turned on Longhorn Network last night (I was down, my daughter spent 40 minutes fussing at me till asleep) and they had an actual fishing show called "Hook, Line and Studdard."

Yes, that Studdard

Salt City Sooner
8/28/2013, 12:00 PM
yeah, all it takes is the right coach in there and texas becomes a powerhouse.
x 2, but I doubt it'd be Briles. He's about as blunt/non-PC as it gets, & that just ain't gonna fly in Austin. IIRC he made a few enemies there as well when he voted OU over UT back in the '08 controversy.

stoopified
8/28/2013, 12:19 PM
I saw Mack on ESPN recently and the ESPN guy from Oklahoma(can't recall his name) were talking about how UT was poised for a breakout season and could run the table. Their big arguement was that UT has so much talent and experience returning. I was thinking yeah BUT that talent has been 22-16 in the last 3 years.

SoonerInHSV
8/28/2013, 11:38 PM
It's not about the talent, its about what you do with the talent. On paper, Texas has probably had more talent every year that Stoops has been at OU, yet Stoops is 9-5 against Mack.

As far as Mack he probably stays until Deloss Dodds leaves. Then he either quits or gets fired when the new guy tries to put his own stamp on the program.

jkjsooner
8/29/2013, 08:26 AM
Mack Brown was a good coach at one point but his days are over.

As for the demise of Texas, I wouldn't count on it. Texas still has a lot of power. Every single conference would love to have Texas on board. The only thing stopping Texas is their own greed.

For those A&M fans who now call Texas their little brother, don't get too comfortable. The SEC would take Texas in a split second and if Texas feels it's necessary they'll do it. The day that happens you will again be Texas's little brother.

I hate Texas as much as the next guy but I'm beginning to hate all the Big 12 schools who couldn't compete in the Big 12, left, and now act as if they won some sort of moral victory. (I'll excuse NU as I think they actually think the Big 10 is a good fit for them.)

Jacie
8/29/2013, 08:29 AM
The myth of sa*et football, with the right coach they are a national championship factory.

When has that ever been true about any team?

Ok, Alabama the last three years is an exception.

But especially, when have the whorns dominated anything except the aptly nicknamed Southworst Conference?

Maybe if they could garner the likes of Saban or Meyer, one of those types could turn them into the juggernaut that exist only in the minds of the orange bloods. However, this coach would have to overcome decades of an attitude of entitlement, one that breeds contempt and lack of respect rather than instills desire and forges toughness.

With Mack or anyone else, they are still the team that struts and crows, "We're Texas!"

What a joke.

BigTip
8/29/2013, 08:56 AM
Reading the paper, Clap Clap Mack isn't going anywhere, because of support from Dodd and Powers. But we all know how much those public declarations of "he's our man" go.

I want them to remain viable so it means something when we beat them.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/29/2013, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, Texas is always a giant. They may sometimes be a sleeping giant, but a giant none-the-less.

jkjsooner
8/29/2013, 09:32 AM
With Mack or anyone else, they are still the team that struts and crows, "We're Texas!"

You can make the argument that the fans and administration has an entitlement mentality but a good coach wouldn't put up with players that have that mentality.

Jacie
8/29/2013, 02:59 PM
Then I guess the closest they have had to a good coach would have been Fred Akers cause every one they have had I know of, his predecessor and everyone since relied on superior talent to win. It was never a problem under Royal, who coached in the days of no scholarship limits and the closest competition he ever had was eATMe. Poor old Fred, all he ever did was win (76%), had a winning record vs. OU and lost the only shot at the national title to come his way. I still say they fired him because he was friends with Barry Switzer (remember, Darrel hated Barry), who was(is) the devil to the diehards in Austin.

I think the only way they will ever get a decent coach is to promote an assistant or get lucky on a first timer (something sa*et would never do) cause no coach with a proven penchant for turning a program around and who actually thinks it is his job to you know, run the team, would take that job. The only hire they will ever make is a good politician, someone comfortable at pleasing everyone from the university president, AD, regents, parents, players et al. Bob Stoops would never be offered a job like that nor would it be in his interest to accept such an offer. Urban Meyer maybe but Nick Saban, never.

bluedogok
8/29/2013, 04:16 PM
Reading the paper, Clap Clap Mack isn't going anywhere, because of support from Dodd and Powers. But we all know how much those public declarations of "he's our man" go.

I want them to remain viable so it means something when we beat them.
It doesn't matter if Dodds or Powers is behind Mack, if McCombs and Jamail want Mack gone, Dodds will fire him.

The thing with UT is the coach is a CEO position, they don't need head coach who is a coach, they need someone who knows how to hire competent assistant coaches to do the on field work. It isn't a place for a Briles to go to because it is a political position and not a sports position. They like their slick, schmoozing coaches which is why Akers was fired, he wasn't Royal who had aww shucks *** kissing down to an art form and the big money alumni ate it up. Akers couldn't replicate that and disenfranchised the money people which is all Texas cares about. Look at who they have had since, ex-UT player David McWilliams who left the staff at UT for a season since they pretty much told him they wouldn't hire an assistant coach, so he went to Tech for a year. Then they hired the ultimate CEO coach in John Mackovic but he didn't have the good ole boy schmoozing down. UT people like to think they are all slick and sophisticated but when it comes down to it the money people are good ole boys at heart who like their coach to kiss their ***.

KantoSooner
8/29/2013, 04:53 PM
Look now, I'll say this just this once more. DKR is NEVER to be referred to in any terms other than:

1. The Traitor
or
2. That Pimp

Those two cover the issue completely.