PDA

View Full Version : Recruit say he was offered $600K to play football.

8timechamps
8/27/2013, 08:59 PM
There is a new book that has been released (The System - Glory and scandal of big time college football), and in the book, Ricky Seals-Jones (last year's #1 WR recruit) and his parent say the following:

Seals-Jones, once a Texas commit who wound up signing with Texas A&M last February, and his family open themselves up to the entire process. The juiciest part is an alleged offer to the Jones family from a "top-20 program" – not A&M – for the following: $300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family.
"Oh, it was higher than that," Chester Jones, Ricky's dad said. "It was a lot higher than that." Chester Jones said the offers grew as high as $600,000 for his son's signature on a national letter of intent – one SEC school and one ACC school said they'd double any offer – but he declined them all out of principle and the fear of inevitably getting caught.

olevetonahill
8/27/2013, 09:08 PM
Im tempted to think this Is some kind of BS to Blow smoke on the JFF thing.

8timechamps
8/27/2013, 09:09 PM

Or to sell the book. You never know though, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ole Miss boosters were offering up "signing bonuses" to recruits.

Soonerjeepman
8/27/2013, 09:13 PM
I just love how these books come out or articles and basically it's the kid/family vs anyone else and no names ever drop. I probably call BS on 600K...I don't any school would ever do that in this day and age...too much info leaks out there. Very stupid if they did.

Curly Bill
8/27/2013, 10:27 PM
Call me jaded, but I think it's entirely possible that this happened, and like 8time said, it wouldn't be any surprise to me if Ole Miss was involved. Something out of the ordinary is sure as hell going on down there that's allowing them to recruit on a par with the big boys.

OULenexaman
8/28/2013, 01:09 AM
Cam Newton comes to mind.

ouflak
8/28/2013, 03:47 AM
The figures would be consistent with current market prices if recent history is any guide.

badger
8/28/2013, 08:04 AM
Or to sell the book. You never know though, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ole Miss boosters were offering up "signing bonuses" to recruits.

I know that they have good tailgating and sh!t, but it's not like the players and their families would be part of that... so why else besides $ would any football player want to go to Ole Mi$$, who is probably the losingest program in $EC history?*

*I really don't know which program is losingest in the SEC

EDIT: 6 SEC championships and 3 claimed national titles... of course, the last ones were in the 60s, before some current members were a part of the conference

CowboyMRW
8/28/2013, 08:17 AM
A couple things. No family member of Eric Dickerson's is going to turn down any amount of money out of principle.

I don't believe any school offered them 600K as I don't believe at all that he was worth it.

If someone did offer him 600K, I wonder how much aTm offered to get his signature on NSD.

badger
8/28/2013, 08:44 AM
As long as I'm spouting off no-knowledge crap without anything to back it up this morning... do top wide receiver recruits EVER pan out?

The last one I remember was Julio Jones, and I only remember him because he passed on us for Bammer :(

EDIT: OK, here's the follow-up facts:
2012: Dorial Green-Beckham had 28 receptions for 395 yards and a team-best 5 receiving touchdowns last year.
2011: Sammy Watkins was a 1st team AP AA for two straight years, so I guess he panned out too
2010: Robert Woods was consensus AA in 2011 and a second round draft pick in this year's draft

ok i give up. top WR recruits actually do pan out... even if 2012's and 2011's have already been busted for weed, hehe

KantoSooner
8/28/2013, 08:49 AM
my guess would be that most of this emanates from Florida. It's the core of all that is bad in America today. Would that we could cut it off and let it drift off into the ocean and sink.

OU_Sooners75
8/28/2013, 09:07 AM

What else would explain a ****ty program having such a great recruiting class?

olevetonahill
8/28/2013, 09:24 AM

And which Program is that? None were named and His Integrity wouldnt allow him to accept so he CHOSE eaTme ?

CowboyMRW
8/28/2013, 09:29 AM
And which Program is that? None were named and His Integrity wouldnt allow him to accept so he CHOSE eaTme ?

eaTme?? They prefer assTomouth if you're going to use their school letterings.

KantoSooner
8/28/2013, 10:39 AM
Let's not get too worked up. If the recruitment of Cam Newton drew no attention from the NCAA, why should this?

LakeRat
8/28/2013, 11:47 AM
Ole Miss had a LB on campus who wasn't highly touted. Little brother ends up being the top DE in the country. Also, one of his Best Friends is the Best WR in the country.

That triggers an amazing recruiting class. When you see 2 studs end up going, everyone follows suit.

Couple of things they have.
1. Conference - They are in the best conference period. There isn't a 1a-1b. It is them and then about 4 others trying to be #2.
2. Great campus and solid facilities.
3. New coach, creates buzz and excitement.
4. Great climate

I think they could very easily be doing things legit.

stoopified
8/28/2013, 12:33 PM
Ole Miss had a LB on campus who wasn't highly touted. Little brother ends up being the top DE in the country. Also, one of his Best Friends is the Best WR in the country.

That triggers an amazing recruiting class. When you see 2 studs end up going, everyone follows suit.

1. Conference - They are in the best conference period. There isn't a 1a-1b. It is them and then about 4 others trying to be #2.
4. Great climate

I think they could very easily be doing things legit.It is possible nothing shady isgoing on ,just the same I think you should carry a sturdy umbrella in case you spot flying pigs. :)

badger
8/28/2013, 12:46 PM

The stadium increased its capacity to 60,580 in 2002 with the bowling in of the south end zone, making it the largest facility in the state.

And don't forget Xbox (sans the 360) and PS2s, start at 4:25:
BdfVsTJ0GnY
That video is from last summer.

Ole Miss: Straight cash never gets outdated! :eek:

8timechamps
8/28/2013, 06:43 PM

4. Great climate

I think they could very easily be doing things legit.

Oh, it's possible.

But, would you be surprised AT ALL if a few years down the road, they were investigated for paying player to sign there?

We're not talking about kids that had one SEC offer, with all the rest being other conferences. These kids could have named their school (including any and all SEC schools). And they all chose Ole Miss? Never, in my time following recruiting, have I seen that happen. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility to think a couple of those recruits followed their buddies, but that doesn't explain the other 75% of the talent they attracted.

You could be right, it could all be completely legit. I just doubt that it is.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/28/2013, 07:07 PM
As long as I'm spouting off no-knowledge crap without anything to back it up this morning... do top wide receiver recruits EVER pan out?

The last one I remember was Julio Jones, and I only remember him because he passed on us for Bammer :(

EDIT: OK, here's the follow-up facts:
2012: Dorial Green-Beckham had 28 receptions for 395 yards and a team-best 5 receiving touchdowns last year.
2011: Sammy Watkins was a 1st team AP AA for two straight years, so I guess he panned out too
2010: Robert Woods was consensus AA in 2011 and a second round draft pick in this year's draft

ok i give up. top WR recruits actually do pan out... even if 2012's and 2011's have already been busted for weed, hehe

WR easily has the highest % of Top 10 recruits that pan out. That doesn't necessarily mean that #1 does though.

2003 - Top 3 played in the pros (Caldwell, chad Johnson, meachem)
2004 - #6 was megatron
2005 - #3 desean Jackson, #5 Mario manningham
2006 - #1 harvin
2007 - #9 dez Bryant
2008 - #1 Julio jones, #2 aj green

EatLeadCommie
8/28/2013, 07:50 PM
hell the SEC school could've been any of them except Kentucky or Vandy. The ACC school was probably Clemson, maybe FSU. UNC and Miami had too much heat on them.

Curly Bill
8/28/2013, 10:06 PM
Oh, it's possible.

But, would you be surprised AT ALL if a few years down the road, they were investigated for paying player to sign there?

We're not talking about kids that had one SEC offer, with all the rest being other conferences. These kids could have named their school (including any and all SEC schools). And they all chose Ole Miss? Never, in my time following recruiting, have I seen that happen. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility to think a couple of those recruits followed their buddies, but that doesn't explain the other 75% of the talent they attracted.

You could be right, it could all be completely legit. I just doubt that it is.

I'll be surprised if at some point something doesn't come out about Ole Miss cheating. Hell, anyone with a real clue knows they're cheating! It's like anyone with a real clue knows Manziel took money for signing autographs - it's a matter of having proof.

OU_Sooners75
8/28/2013, 10:12 PM

Look at who recruited him heavily and then look at the recruiting class rankings.

Ole Miss.