PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Traffic

Piware
8/27/2013, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to remind folks that southbound I35 in Norman is a mess. Major road construction, can't exit on Main Street and serious bottlenecks before you get to Lindsay.

Might want to think about coming in the back way on Highway 9 or, if you must take 35, exit on Tecumseh. I live in Miami but I'll bet the locals can shed more light on this.

8timechamps
8/27/2013, 09:08 PM
Good idea Piware.

Here's a link that will take you to a map of suggested alternate Routes: Alternate Routes (http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/pdfs/13fb_trafficalternateroutes.pdf?SPSID=750323&SPID=127245&DB_OEM_ID=31000)

yermom
8/27/2013, 09:41 PM
have fun with all that, suckas!

:D

nighttrain12
8/27/2013, 09:48 PM
If I can just make it to LNC from OKC going down I-35, I'll catch the $2 tram to the stadium and be ready for some Sooner football!

Sinyeah12
8/28/2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting 8time. I'll be heading down from Omaha so my kids can see their first Sooner's game. Is there anywhere any of you guys or gals would suggest "not" to park?

MichiganSooner
8/28/2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting 8time. I'll be heading down from Omaha so my kids can see their first Sooner's game. Is there anywhere any of you guys or gals would suggest "not" to park?

Not to park? In a tow away zone; no parking zone...

Best place to park, imo, is Lloyd Noble Center parking lot. Free parking and always plenty of it available. Ride shuttle bus, roundtrip for $2 each person. Possible to walk it. Just over a mile and sidewalks all the way.

I would give you directions but not sure with the construction going on as to the best way this season.

Sinyeah12
8/28/2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks. We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. Looks like I can just go down W 24th Ave. Any suggestions on what we must see while we are down there? Switzer Center? Is anything closed on game days?

BermudaSooner
8/28/2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks. We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. Looks like I can just go down W 24th Ave. Any suggestions on what we must see while we are down there? Switzer Center? Is anything closed on game days?

Switzer Center is closed on gameday--unless they changed it this year.

I always take first timers to Campus corner (Boyd between Asp and Jenkins), and then walk around campus some.

Heisman park is on the East side of the stadium.

Enjoy and Boomer Sooner!

BermudaSooner
8/28/2013, 01:19 PM
Just checked--Switzer Center is open 9-5 Thursday and Friday.

sooner_born_1960
8/28/2013, 01:28 PM
Just spend the night at Dave's crib.

yermom
8/28/2013, 02:14 PM
show up early, park somewhere legal, where you don't think you'll get blocked in if that is something you are worried about

i wouldn't pay more than $20, and even that seems high

BigJerm7
8/28/2013, 05:24 PM
If I can just make it to LNC from OKC going down I-35, I'll catch the $2 tram to the stadium and be ready for some Sooner football!

Good call. I may end up doing this.

8timechamps
8/28/2013, 06:24 PM

You have to take the kids to Campus Corner...that's always a fun place on gameday. Keep in mind, if you are going to purchase anything (T-shirts, hats, etc), you'll need to take it back to your car before going into the stadium (new policy this year). So, if you park at the LNC, that could create an issue with that. There's always a ton of places around Campus Corner, but they can be pricey ($10-$20).

Last year, I took my youngest to his first game, and we got to Norman early and spent the day walking around Campus Corner, Listening to the Pride pre-game concert, checking out Heisman Park and then headed to the player's entrance to watch the team arrive at the stadium. Always fun for a first timer.

Have fun, and be safe.

Piware
8/28/2013, 08:22 PM
Agree completely with 8 Time. Campus Corner is fun but don't forget there is also a Kid's Play Zone outside the north end of the stadium and I think it's all free. It's easy to walk over to the Pride pre-game concert from there and you just have to see Heisman Park, which is on the south end. You all are going to have a blast.

Soonerus
8/28/2013, 08:33 PM
I predict the biggest traffic mess ever...

C&CDean
8/28/2013, 09:17 PM
Do NOT park at LNC. Sheez. There's a million places just north where you can do Campus Corner, drop your purchases off at your ride, and walk the 2 blocks to the stadium. LNC is damn near in McClain County.

Soonerus
8/28/2013, 09:20 PM
Do NOT park at LNC. Sheez. There's a million places just north where you can do Campus Corner, drop your purchases off at your ride, and walk the 2 blocks to the stadium. LNC is damn near in McClain County.

bs, LNC is near heaven with all of the RV'ers...

MichiganSooner
8/28/2013, 10:39 PM
I used to park north near Methodist Church and Boren's house. Easier in and out at LNC. After dropped off by the bus near the dorms, an easy walk to campus corner for eats and drinks plus the band concert, parade, and stroll to the stadium.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2013, 12:48 AM
My commute will be grueling... ;) Wake up at 6 am, walk over to the phone, call in room service breakfast, open up my ipad and find a game broadcast and eat breakfast Sunday morning while listening to the game... Only bad thing is Sunday is my sleep in day and I have to get up early for the game.

Sinyeah12
8/29/2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like we will have a blast. I haven't been to a game in Norman since 1990 when OU destroyed NU. What an awesome 7 1/2 hour ride home with husker fans.

LA.SoonerFan
8/29/2013, 08:16 PM
I'll be coming in from Louisiana. Am I going to be able to exit on Main St. from 35? Will I have to go further north to exit off of 35 to get to Main St.? I hate road construction.

yermom
8/29/2013, 08:36 PM
the Main exit is closed

i'm thinking i would exit on Hwy 9 East