PDA

View Full Version : Is this this least excited this place has been about a new football season...ever?

BermudaSooner
8/26/2013, 03:34 PM
the ****ing Jonnie Maziel thread has more posts than anything else.

Everyone already has thrown the towel in on the defense.

Come on guys, we've got a new football season...isn't anyone excited?

Boomer F-in Sooner!

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 03:36 PM
I'm excited!

I wouldn't be surprised if OU makes a run for a national title!

And it has been awhile since I have been excited enough to actually say that!

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 03:46 PM
WE lost a Lot of posters when the board was hacked and stayed down so long.

SoonerLB
8/26/2013, 03:53 PM
I'm ready, and I like the way Sooners75 thinks! :) Gotta admit I'm a little nervous about the QB situation, but I figure Bob knows what he is doin'. Fingers crossed that there is huge improvement on the defensive side of the ball, we certainly need that!

SoonerStormchaser
8/26/2013, 03:58 PM
I really stopped caring about OU football after the screwjob in Autzen in 06...no sense getting worked up over a damn game.

Besides, hockey season is just around the corner.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 03:59 PM
I really stopped caring about OU football after the screwjob in Autzen in 06...no sense getting worked up over a damn game.

Besides, hockey season is just around the corner.

Yea but you are ****ing weird .

KantoSooner
8/26/2013, 04:01 PM
Hockey.

Wow.

Just wow.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 04:03 PM
Hockey.

Wow.

Just wow.

Did ya not see my Post about him being WEIRD?

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 04:04 PM
I'm ready, and I like the way Sooners75 thinks! :) Gotta admit I'm a little nervous about the QB situation, but I figure Bob knows what he is doin'. Fingers crossed that there is huge improvement on the defensive side of the ball, we certainly need that!

That's the thing though. We don't need massive improvement on defense.

We just need to be in better position and be more aggressive.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 04:05 PM

Wouldnt that be a MASSIVE improvement?

KantoSooner
8/26/2013, 04:08 PM
It would.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 04:15 PM

Wouldnt that be a MASSIVE improvement?

Not really. We gave up a lot of big plays last year because one or two guys were out of position. Or because we played on our heels in certain situations.

Correct that and it will be an improvement....but like I said we don't need massive improvement.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 04:18 PM
Not really. We gave up a lot of big plays last year because one or two guys were out of position. Or because we played on our heels in certain situations.

Correct that and it will be an improvement....but like I said we don't need massive improvement.

I guess we see things dif.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 04:20 PM
We do. I'm looking at a past player ad coach of the game.

Where you see OU doesn't have a lot of defensive talent (maybe not you per say) I see plenty. I see the problem with player discipline and scheme.

SoonerNomad
8/26/2013, 04:21 PM
I'm excited Kanto. I have always been cautiously optimistic that the team will be able to run the guantlet. I anxiously anticipate seeing THIS YEAR's defense before making any evaluations of what will and won't happen. I am fired up about the new QB and the abundance of offensive skill players.

I do get the impression from others that there is less excitement and lower expectations. I don't share that thought process. I cannot wait til Saturday.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 04:30 PM
We do. I'm looking at a past player ad coach of the game.

Where you see OU doesn't have a lot of defensive talent (maybe not you per say) I see plenty. I see the problem with player discipline and scheme.

I never coached But I have played
Talent is one thing but IF that talent dosent put out Effort it aint worth spit.
If that Talent plays 1/2 assed one season then Light bulbs go off and they play extraordinarily the Next year then THAT my friend is a MASSIVE improvement
JMHO

BermudaSooner
8/26/2013, 04:31 PM
Alright, that's more like it....except for the German dude whose lederhosen are too tight and can't wait for hockey season.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 04:31 PM
I'm excited Kanto. I have always been cautiously optimistic that the team will be able to run the guantlet. I anxiously anticipate seeing THIS YEAR's defense before making any evaluations of what will and won't happen. I am fired up about the new QB and the abundance of offensive skill players.

I do get the impression from others that there is less excitement and lower expectations. I don't share that thought process. I cannot wait til Saturday.

Im as excited as a Virgin bride on her weddin day

cherokeebrewer
8/26/2013, 04:53 PM
I'm excited...sorta

EatLeadCommie
8/26/2013, 05:04 PM
I was probably less excited the last few years because I knew Landry wasn't taking us to the promised land and it later became apparent that our D was an enormous liability as well. I have some excitement for this year because of a new QB. I'm not optimistic about our defense, but I am curious to see how much it improves.

SoonerStormchaser
8/26/2013, 05:05 PM
Alright, that's more like it....except for the German dude whose lederhosen are too tight and can't wait for hockey season.

That's southern Germany...nowhere near where I'm at. Besides...Deutsch Eishockey Liga season starts here in another week... YAY!!!

Have fun on Saturday at the game...I'll be in London.

8timechamps
8/26/2013, 05:15 PM
I haven't been this excited for a season to start in a few years. A lot of it has to do with the new faces, and seeing how they develop and give us a glimpse into what we might expect.

For all the faults with the defense last year, we were only two games away from playing for it all. What should have been a win over KSU and a game that was closer than the score (ND) kept OU out of the title game. I think people forget that, and remember the Cotton Bowl debacle (and even that game was 13-14 at the half). Offensively, the Sooners shouldn't miss a beat, and defensively I think a more aggressive scheme with new role players can sure up some issues that hurt OU last year.

I don't know if this team is ready for a title run, but then again nobody ever knows at this point in a season. There isn't a team on the schedule OU can't beat, now they just have to execute.

birddog
8/26/2013, 07:03 PM
It's football!! it's the big twelve!.

sendbaht
8/26/2013, 07:14 PM
This is our year. I am pumped. Most of the D now is Mike's guys. Our O will be outstanding. Look for a great year and enjoy the weeks ahead!!
Only one I feel sorry for is texas.....this year is "their year" 2o13...but mack will when they lose..."it's our new O we need a couple of years to get it going".....watch!

En_Fuego
8/26/2013, 07:41 PM
I was excited in the Snelly-Blake years..... FWIW

Wishboned
8/26/2013, 08:13 PM
I kind of feel like I did in 2000. After the 99 season I knew we were going to have a good season, but I was expecting a few losses. I was looking forward to seeing the team play, and enjoying the season.

Whereas since then I've been expecting a run at a national title every year, this year I'm just looking forward to seeing what happens, and who makes a name for themselves.

cleller
8/26/2013, 08:26 PM
TCU and OSU have me plenty worried. To win at Stillwater this year may require some help from aggot. Waiting the whole season for that game is wearing.

But shoot, its about time we surprised on the upside.

SouthFortySooner
8/26/2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think its, 'not excited'. I think the quarterback dual and consequent hesitations on the announcement and then the surprise of TKO being chosen with absolutely no news from his practices so far have us on perched on the ledge of GREAT EXCITEMENT for the game!

birddog
8/26/2013, 09:02 PM
That's southern Germany...nowhere near where I'm at. Besides...Deutsch Eishockey Liga season starts here in another week... YAY!!!

Have fun on Saturday at the game...I'll be in London.

wow, you're such a badass

Peeb
8/26/2013, 09:32 PM
TCU and OSU have me plenty worried. To win at Stillwater this year may require some help from aggot. Waiting the whole season for that game is wearing.

But shoot, its about time we surprised on the upside.Between OU, UT, TCU, Baylor, and us, we have a lot of teams with a legit argument that the table is set for them to win the conference (KSU on the outside chance, too).

I have great expectations for this year's OU squad. Should be fun.

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 09:35 PM

Really?

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 09:36 PM
Talent is one thing but IF that talent dosent put out Effort it aint worth spit.
If that Talent plays 1/2 assed one season then Light bulbs go off and they play extraordinarily the Next year then THAT my friend is a MASSIVE improvement
JMHO

I coached it for the better part of 20 years and we are more than a little ways away from being good on defense!

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 09:37 PM
I was excited in the Snelly-Blake years..... FWIW

Dayum Skippy. at least till he ****ed it up then we got to watch Tiddly winks er someshat

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 09:40 PM
JMHO

I coached it for the better part of 20 years and we are more than a little ways away from being good on defense!

This isn't basketball...lol

Seriously though, we aren't far off from being a pretty good defense.

But then again you have always been against our defense no matter what.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 09:41 PM
I kind of feel like I did in 2000. After the 99 season I knew we were going to have a good season, but I was expecting a few losses. I was looking forward to seeing the team play, and enjoying the season.

Whereas since then I've been expecting a run at a national title every year, this year I'm just looking forward to seeing what happens, and who makes a name for themselves.

Aw 2000 the Magic Year. every night before a game I couldnt sleep . We came to Neb, Game I hadnt slept in 2 days I was so keyed up with anticipation and excitement. After we Won that I was Calm cause I KNEW we were on our way.
Oh and I lost a GF that afternoon after the game also.

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 09:41 PM

I'm against bad defense no matter what!

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 09:45 PM

I prefer coaching basketball, but I've coached football at the AAAA varsity level in Texas and turned down 2 chances to coach at the AAAAA level, but I'm sure your coaching resume beats that?!?!

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 09:56 PM
I prefer coaching basketball, but I've coached football at the AAAA varsity level in Texas and turned down 2 chances to coach at the AAAAA level, but I'm sure your coaching resume beats that?!?!

I bought a Junior High assistant coach a Beer once , Does that give Me Creds?

8timechamps
8/26/2013, 10:10 PM
I'm against bad defense no matter what!

Why do you hate America? ;)

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 10:24 PM
I bought a Junior High assistant coach a Beer once , Does that give Me Creds?

Means you're a hell of a nice guy, cause he prolly wasn't making much scratch!

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 10:27 PM
Why do you hate America? ;)

That's another story, not that I hate America, I'm just not real fond of the fools running it right now....

...but anyway, there's some truth in that ol saying that defense wins championships, even in this day and age where they try to legislate defense out of football and basketball.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 10:29 PM
Means you're a hell of a nice guy, cause he prolly wasn't making much scratch!

Heh

Curly Bill
8/26/2013, 10:32 PM
Heh

...and another thing: if he was coaching JH kids he prolly needed that beer real bad, prolly needed several in fact! I do not envy anyone who has to coach JH football! I put a little time in at that level and it's a real pain!

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 10:45 PM
...and another thing: if he was coaching JH kids he prolly needed that beer real bad, prolly needed several in fact! I do not envy anyone who has to coach JH football! I put a little time in at that level and it's a real pain!

I resent That, I was ONE of those Kids he was Coachin . I was just Old for my position :cocksure:

SoonerStormchaser
8/27/2013, 01:18 AM
wow, you're such a badass

Yep...now go get me a pint from the pub!

stoopified
8/27/2013, 05:06 AM
I guess we see things dif. I dunno,I think I might see his point.Correct some fundamental issues which AT TIMES last year made us look awful on D and we COULD see signifigant improvement. I've been watching last years games on DVR to get ready for this year and have to say that IMHO we played OK on D for about 75 % of the time last year but all that seems to be on OUr minds is meltdowns vs. WV,T.Boone State, and Lassie U. Do the right things fundamentally and we have a chance to good on D(not great) and a good D means we can be back in the Top 10 where we belong.I would add that IF and again it is a big if,some of OUr young D talent develop into playmakers,we could see drastic,not just noticeable improvement.

stoopified
8/27/2013, 06:23 AM
Personally I was much less excitedduring THE LOST DECADE(Gibbs-Schnelly-Boo era),than I am now.While there are many unknowns I am excited and optimistic about this season.

5noubus
8/27/2013, 06:54 AM
I'm ready for the season after watching this video.
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/73044919" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/73044919">OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL- FULLY ENGAGED</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/secondwindcreative">Micah Brown</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
( hope I did that right?)
It's worth your time. If its on here somewhere else, sorry.

Mac94
8/27/2013, 08:16 AM
Excited for some football ... ready for Thursday nights games and ready to see my Ags against Rice. Ready to see the Sooners also but it kinda sucks that first game is on PPV ... so I really won;t see what the team looks like until the FSSW No Huddle of the game on Monday. Sooner football will really kickoff for me next week with the West Virginia game.

One cool thing for me this year will be following OU RB recruit Samaje Perine from Hendrickson HS in Pflugerville. My son is an incoming 9th grader in HHS so planning on seeing the Hawks whenever I can. Be cool to watch them knowing their best player is Norman bound.

DocD
8/27/2013, 08:41 AM
It's football season . . . how can you not be excited?

If you call yourself a Sooner fan . . . which I assume you are or why would you be posting on here . . . . then you should be excited!!

Maybe nervously excited? Maybe we are too worried about how well they will do?

But if you're not excited then go wait in the wings until the bandwagon comes back around. :)

Jack T.
8/27/2013, 09:42 AM
My excitement was bumping off the "none at all" line on the gauge until TK was named the starter.

Still not terribly interested. We'll win some games, lose some games we should win, and get embarrassed once. Then people will tell me how happy I should be with a 10-win season, because XXX other teams would love to have our record. Which is nice. . .except that I judge our season against other Oklahoma seasons, not against the season that other teams have.

Between SEC/ESPN and working in Stillwater, I'm trying to force myself not to care. . .purely as a defense mechanism. The past several years I been relieved, but not happy, when we win. Which means that the best possible outcome of a game is that I'm not upset.

olevetonahill
8/27/2013, 10:10 AM
It would appear that the Band Wagon is gettin lighter :cocksure:

FaninAma
8/27/2013, 10:16 AM
The results of lowered expectations of a program playing in a mediocre league.

I have been looking at the various season ticket selling sites on the internet and this is the most season tickets I have seen for resale and at really cheap prices.

My prediction is that it will get worse if OU keeps ringing up 3+ losses playing in a league that continues to lose prestige.

Boren and Castiglione f'd up when they decided to remain with okie state and Texas in the Big 12-2-2+2 league.

I guess the gameplan of the Big 12 is similiar to the Houston Astros who will set a record for profit by a professional sports franchise this year. Put a mediocre product on the field and suck up huge television revenue. Its a good short-term plan but not a viable long-term plan.

KantoSooner
8/27/2013, 10:18 AM
I've got a buddy who just bought a house on Lake Travis outside of Austin. Last weekend, he put up a 75' flagpole with lights aimed at the top.
It is his intent to fly an OU flag there 24/7 during the season.

He seems excited. His UT grad wife decidedly less so, but she's been worn down over the years of their marriage and she now simply accepts his fanaticism with stoic endurance.

Sooner in Tampa
8/27/2013, 10:30 AM
It would appear that the Band Wagon is gettin lighter :cocksure: That is fine by me!!!

I am cautiously opptimistic about this year...as I look at the schedule...I see four games that decide our season...the trip to South Bendover, TCU, Sexat, and of course the game against our cross eyed, stupid, and loudmouthed little brothers in Stoolwater. I also look at the schedule and try to determine which boneheaded game we will throw away to an inferior opponent.

12 games...one major F up and one game we lose out of the four tough games on our schedule...that is yet another 10 win season

I am not sure that is how it is all going to play out, but that is my prediction for the season.

BTW...3 BYE weeks SUCK!!!

BermudaSooner
8/27/2013, 10:37 AM
I've got a buddy who just bought a house on Lake Travis outside of Austin. Last weekend, he put up a 75' flagpole with lights aimed at the top.
It is his intent to fly an OU flag there 24/7 during the season.

He seems excited. His UT grad wife decidedly less so, but she's been worn down over the years of their marriage and she now simply accepts his fanaticism with stoic endurance.

Now that is the kind of excitement I was looking for!

olevetonahill
8/27/2013, 10:48 AM
That is fine by me!!!

I am cautiously opptimistic about this year...as I look at the schedule...I see four games that decide our season...the trip to South Bendover, TCU, Sexat, and of course the game against our cross eyed, stupid, and loudmouthed little brothers in Stoolwater. I also look at the schedule and try to determine which boneheaded game we will throw away to an inferior opponent.

12 games...one major F up and one game we lose out of the four tough games on our schedule...that is yet another 10 win season

I am not sure that is how it is all going to play out, but that is my prediction for the season.

BTW...3 BYE weeks SUCK!!!

I think TK is gonna come out PROVING he deserved the Job and start Kickin *** an Taking names from the get go.
I still dont understand WHY we moved that Puke game to the end of the season. Almost makes them seem legitimate or some crap.

olevetonahill
8/27/2013, 10:48 AM

MY OU flag has been up for 2 months now.

SoonerNomad
8/27/2013, 11:01 AM
The results of lowered expectations of a program playing in a mediocre league.

I have been looking at the various season ticket selling sites on the internet and this is the most season tickets I have seen for resale and at really cheap prices.

My prediction is that it will get worse if OU keeps ringing up 3+ losses playing in a league that continues to lose prestige.

Boren and Castiglione f'd up when they decided to remain with okie state and Texas in the Big 12-2-2+2 league.

I guess the gameplan of the Big 12 is similiar to the Houston Astros who will set a record for profit by a professional sports franchise this year. Put a mediocre product on the field and suck up huge television revenue. Its a good short-term plan but not a viable long-term plan.

The lower expectations are the result of more than a decade of high quality football that resulted in numerous conference championships, four BCS title games and a national title. People's expectations are lower because we lost three games to nationally ranked teams last year, the defense looked awful in a couple of WINS, and we have a new QB. In other words, as Sooner fans, we are spoiled.

Your thesis about mistakes being made by staying in the Big 12 may turn out to be true, but it is too early to tell. Hell, maybe OU can take advantage of a mediocre conference and run the table one of these years.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2013, 11:16 AM
I was probably less excited the last few years because I knew Landry wasn't taking us to the promised land and it later became apparent that our D was an enormous liability as well. I have some excitement for this year because of a new QB. I'm not optimistic about our defense, but I am curious to see how much it improves.pretty much

8/27/2013, 11:24 AM
Personally I was much less excitedduring THE LOST DECADE(Gibbs-Schnelly-Boo era),than I am now.While there are many unknowns I am excited and optimistic about this season.After Gibbs' 3rd yr, I put the excitement on the back burner, and the control on low(almost off)

8/27/2013, 11:30 AM
I still dont understand WHY we moved that Puke game to the end of the season. Almost makes them seem legitimate or some crap.Betcha it mostly had to do with $, that is TV scheduling.

KantoSooner
8/27/2013, 11:34 AM

And you have not tasted the wife's cheese filled, grilled jalapenos, yet. Excitement to be sure.

BermudaSooner
8/27/2013, 11:37 AM
And you have not tasted the wife's cheese filled, grilled jalapenos, yet. Excitement to be sure.

That sounds awesome--my tailgate this weekend will include my "diablos." Big *** jalapenos, little chicken breast chunk and either montery jack or cheddar stuffed inside, wrapped in a slice of bacon. They are awesome.

Extra excitement when I don't quite scoop all of the seeds out of the jap---never know which one you get. Kinda like a stuffed jap Russian roulette--makes for good tailgate fun.

olevetonahill
8/27/2013, 11:37 AM

If they wrapped in Bacon then they Fandayumtastic.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2013, 12:54 PM

I'm not matching resumes so stop being insecure.

Lets just say 6A and college are on my résumé.

Widescreen
8/27/2013, 01:06 PM

So you're not matching resumes, but you are?

LOL

8/27/2013, 02:49 PM
So you're not matching resumes, but you are?

LOL"no offense intended, but you're a dipsh*t".

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2013, 03:11 PM
(null)

I never said what schools or for how long.

He said his experience level. I said mine.

Curly is older so his résumé is longer and more experienced.

Doesn't mean it is any better. :)

I guess I could always include the junior high coaching I have done as well. Lol

Jack T.
8/27/2013, 03:28 PM
Gee, the excitement of OU football can't hold a candle to this dick measuring contest.

KantoSooner
8/27/2013, 03:35 PM
I once possessed a fake one about 18" long. It was hilarious to step into a public john, take your place in front of a urinal, fling that baby out and notice all the guys who 'weren't looking' suddenly zip and leave.

8timechamps
8/27/2013, 03:41 PM
I once possessed a fake one about 18" long. It was hilarious to step into a public john, take your place in front of a urinal, fling that baby out and notice all the guys who 'weren't looking' suddenly zip and leave.

Yeah, well, it's not as funny when you really have an 18" long unit. Trust me. :O

Widescreen
8/27/2013, 04:06 PM
"no offense intended, but you're a dipsh*t".

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Af-Id_fuXFA/hqdefault.jpg
I SAID "WITH ALL DUE RESPECT"

KantoSooner
8/27/2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah, well, it's not as funny when you really have an 18" long unit. Trust me. :O

I've heard that said. Wouldn't really know myself. Are there tales you could share for our edification?

8timechamps
8/27/2013, 04:47 PM
I've heard that said. Wouldn't really know myself. Are there tales you could share for our edification?

Nah, I have a tiny pee pee. I can hardly find it most days, especially if it's cold outside.

KantoSooner
8/27/2013, 05:02 PM
I hate it when that happens.

Curly Bill
8/27/2013, 05:16 PM

You played at some podunk junior college in Kansas or something - that doesn't even hardly count.

edit...Oh, and I actually got paid to coach, not some volunteer gig for grins! ;)

8/27/2013, 05:19 PM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Af-Id_fuXFA/hqdefault.jpg
I SAID "WITH ALL DUE RESPECT"Makes it all right, haha

legacy79
8/27/2013, 05:21 PM
first post for me but I AM EXCITED!

8/27/2013, 05:37 PM
first post for me but I AM EXCITED!Think our guys will go all-nuclear, and buzzsaw through all the rest of those pathetic non-Sooner teams?:surprise:

FirstandGoal
8/27/2013, 06:28 PM
I've been a fan for the better part of 40 years by my reckoning (I'm starting my count from about the age of 6 when the '74 squad won a NC because that's really my first memory of being a Sooner fan)

In all of those years we've had some great ones, some boring ones, and some real flops. I still curse that I just barely missed the Barry years and had the misfortune to attend OU during the Gibbs era. It could have been worse though.... at least I did get my degree in '91 and wasn't a student anymore by the time the whole Schelly-Blake fiasco occurred.

Never once did the season start and I thought, "Gee.... I'm so bored and apathetic because its football season." Even when I knew we were going to crap all over ourselves on the field there was still that excitement and the magic of being a Sooner and knowing that there was always the potential for greatness. Hell, even during the 3-8 debacle in '96 we managed to beat Texass and Pokie.

I'm always excited, I'm always pumped and I'm always ready for whatever the upcoming season will bring!