PDA

View Full Version : Why ULM can win

LA.SoonerFan
8/25/2013, 11:12 PM
They are healthy and hungry. They return 18 starters including the preseason Sun Belt player of the year Colton Browning. Browning could give us fits. We didn't exactly fare too well against dual threat qb's last season and he is healthy and 25 pounds heavier. I live over here in West Monroe, LA. and everyone is excited including the players. They have athletes on both sides of the ball. This game is not going to be easy. I hope I'm wrong and OU wins going away. If they don't, I'll never hear the end of it. I still don't think their defense can shut our offense down. I just hope our D is ready. I'll be in Norman to watch this one.

Blue
8/25/2013, 11:27 PM
I agree. We could easily lose this one.

stoopified
8/26/2013, 05:43 AM
Only way we lose is massivefood poisonig ala OU at Northwestern in 1960.Outside of that ,7 or was it 9 consecutive turnovers like OU vs. KU in 1975. The Ark team and Auburn teams that ULM beat and nearly beat sucked and Baylor was middle of the pack.ULM ain't Savannah State but they ain't Boise State either.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 05:50 AM
Only way we lose is massivefood poisonig ala OU at Northwestern in 1960.Outside of that ,7 or was it 9 consecutive turnovers like OU vs. KU in 1975. The Ark team and Auburn teams that ULM beat and nearly beat sucked and Baylor was middle of the pack.ULM ain't Savannah State but they ain't Boise State either.

Agree but remember " Any given Saturday" Weird **** has been known to happen on opening weekend .

stoopified
8/26/2013, 05:51 AM
For the record their BIG win against ARK was against a 4-8 team,Auburn,who they ALMOST beat was 3-9,Baylor,another NEAR upset was 8-5..

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 05:52 AM
For the record their BIG win against ARK was against a 4-8 team,Auburn,who they ALMOST beat was 3-9,Baylor,another NEAR upset was 8-5..

Yea I dont see us losing this and especially not "Easily" But like you pointed out Strange things happen.

stoopified
8/26/2013, 05:59 AM
I would further point OU kiled them last year(no not THAT OU) OHIO 45-ULM -14.I could not find a single quality win for them.I think this isa case of a good record not being a true indicator of how bad ULM is.If we don't win by 3 tds I'll be shocked.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/26/2013, 07:52 AM
They are healthy and hungry. They return 18 starters including the preseason Sun Belt player of the year Colton Browning. Browning could give us fits. We didn't exactly fare too well against dual threat qb's last season and he is healthy and 25 pounds heavier. I live over here in West Monroe, LA. and everyone is excited including the players. They have athletes on both sides of the ball. This game is not going to be easy. I hope I'm wrong and OU wins going away. If they don't, I'll never hear the end of it. I still don't think their defense can shut our offense down. I just hope our D is ready. I'll be in Norman to watch this one.

OU only returns 3 to 4 starters on defense, yet I would bet the farm the defense will be immensely better. People get a little too wrapped up in the number of returning starters as every season is different regardless of the personnel returning or not returning.

jkjsooner
8/26/2013, 09:54 AM
We've had close calls in first games recently. We easily could have lost to Utah State. I won't take anything for granted at this point.

Widescreen
8/26/2013, 09:58 AM
OU only returns 3 to 4 starters on defense, yet I would bet the farm the defense will be immensely better. People get a little too wrapped up in the number of returning starters as every season is different regardless of the personnel returning or not returning.

I always struggle with how to feel when we have player turnover. Some people try to say that the guys last year weren't any good so this year's have to be better. But a lot of this year's guys couldn't beat out the guys who stunk last year. Just no way to know until we start playing.

badger
8/26/2013, 10:00 AM
I'll answer the question with a video from last season:
CLsxbKKOfYU
We would be foolish (aka Arkansan) to overlook the Warhawks

SoonerStormchaser
8/26/2013, 10:29 AM
And what about the TCU shocker in 05?

badger
8/26/2013, 10:34 AM

I was there for that one, from the unsuccessful overthrow play action AD/ENA to TCU singing their alma mater at the end. UGH

jkjsooner
8/26/2013, 10:39 AM
I was there for that one, from the unsuccessful overthrow play action AD/ENA to TCU singing their alma mater at the end. UGH

That was the problem with ENA. He had no accuracy over 20 or so yards. Had he hit just one of several wide open receivers in the game against Boise State we would have won.

It was tough going from White - who was deadly accurate on long passes - to Thompson who did great things as a QB at OU but had no accuracy on anything deep.

Sabanball
8/26/2013, 10:56 AM

TCU was pretty dang good in 05 and has been been since then. Not sure I'd call that a shocker and certainly no shame in losing to them.

ULM can be pesky(they beat us AT HOME in Saban's first yr) and I think you guys could struggle a bit in the opener due to breaking in a new qb but no way I see the Sooners losing.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/26/2013, 11:01 AM

Up to that point, that was TCU's best team in their history versus a middle of the pack at best Oklahoma team in Oklahoma history and OU's inexperienced QB won't be throwing behind an inexperienced offensive line to an inexperienced group of receivers. And OU won't be starting a QB converted to receiver converted back to QB who then gets replaced by a QB that thinks he knows better than his QB coach. I fail to see the parallels of this team and this season and that of the 2005 season or even the 2009 season for that matter.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 03:16 PM
Why they won't win this game.

O-H-I-O!

ULM will not win this game and it will not be very close either!

ULM has not played a team with the talent or speed of OU and done very well at all!

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 03:17 PM

ULM lost to Auburn, why does everyone think Auburn lost?

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/26/2013, 03:22 PM
Aren't the Duck Dynasty guys from Monroe, LA? Maybe if they show up and shoot all our players, then ULM can win.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 03:29 PM
Aren't the Duck Dynasty guys from Monroe, LA? Maybe if they show up and shoot all our players, then ULM can win.

West Monroe

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 03:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post

ULM lost to Auburn, why does everyone think Auburn lost?

Read his post agin bro
He said the team they Beat as in Arkie and Nearly beat as in Auburn

SoCalBigRed
8/26/2013, 05:00 PM
<snort>

ULM has as much chance of winning this game, as my aorta has of miraculously healing.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 05:23 PM
<snort>

ULM has as much chance of winning this game, as my aorta has of miraculously healing.

Any given Saturday. If OU comes out thinking this thing is in the bag then we could very well lose.

Ala Arkie and the Orange bowl debacle

Blue
8/26/2013, 06:53 PM
The way our D looked the last 4 games last year, ULM and their experienced QB could put up 50.

Soonerfan88
8/26/2013, 07:17 PM
Not saying ULM will run right over OU, but don't read anything into the bowl game against Ohio. Browning was pretty sick that day and I'm not real sure how much he played. If he did make it the entire game, I'm sure he was on a continuous IV when not on the field.

8timechamps
8/26/2013, 07:32 PM
Not saying ULM will run right over OU, but don't read anything into the bowl game against Ohio. Browning was pretty sick that day and I'm not real sure how much he played. If he did make it the entire game, I'm sure he was on a continuous IV when not on the field.

Really, nobody should ever take how a team played in a bowl game into consideration. That said, Browning will certainly test a young Sooner defense.

8timechamps
8/26/2013, 08:13 PM
Wow...look at the difference up front:

OU
LT Tyrus Thompson 6'5" 320
LG Adam Shead 6'4" 316
C Gabe Ikard 6'3" 307
RG Bronson Irwin 6'5" 314
RT Daryl Williams 6'6" 321

ULM
DE Malcolm Edmond 6'1" 275
NT Gerrand Johnson 6'0" 283
DE Joey Gautney 6'1" 255

ULM does have some pretty good sized linebackers (all three over 230 lbs), but OU should be able to own the line of scrimmage in the run game.

Ruf/Nek7
8/26/2013, 09:07 PM
ULM COULD win if.....they get suited up and step on the field. But then the game will kickoff and all that hoopla flies out the stadium like dust in the wind.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2013, 09:24 PM

Really, nobody should ever take how a team played in a bowl game into consideration. That said, Browning will certainly test a young Sooner defense.

That's the thing though. He will be matching up against our strength on defense.

Our secondary will be very good.

With a pin your ears back DL scheme instead of the read and react crap, we will see a much different front line.

The only way OU loses this game or plays a nail biter is if they commit a crap load of turnovers while not creating any.

ULM is out their best WR as well.

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 09:54 PM
That's the thing though. He will be matching up against our strength on defense.

With a pin your ears back DL scheme instead of the read and react crap, we will see a much different front line.

The only way OU loses this game or plays a nail biter is if they commit a crap load of turnovers while not creating any.

But Tim at this Point You nor anyone else that has not been on the field Coaching or even Observing have a clue what our D will be like. You GUESS is as good as any one else's

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2013, 12:59 PM

But Tim at this Point You nor anyone else that has not been on the field Coaching or even Observing have a clue what our D will be like. You GUESS is as good as any one else's

You're right it is a guess. But knowing the style of play Monte brings and seeing what practice or drill videos I have, leads me to believe our old read and react two gap assignment is over!

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/28/2013, 02:17 PM
West Monroe
east west, who gives a ****? doesn't change the fact that we aint losing.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/28/2013, 03:31 PM

You're right it is a guess. But knowing the style of play Monte brings and seeing what practice or drill videos I have, leads me to believe our old read and react two gap assignment is over!

The defensive line coach doesn't decide if they read and react or attack. The d coordinator does. It is a part of the overall defensive scheme.

OU_Sooners75
8/28/2013, 03:46 PM
The defensive line coach doesn't decide if they read and react or attack. The d coordinator does. It is a part of the overall defensive scheme.

No shy Sherlock....but don't for one moment think the DL coach doesn't have a lot of pull in that decision.

How the DL videos have been since Montgomery showed up, I can almost get that the DL assignment is one gap rush and not two gap read and react.

MichiganSooner
8/28/2013, 10:41 PM
I always struggle with how to feel when we have player turnover. Some people try to say that the guys last year weren't any good so this year's have to be better. But a lot of this year's guys couldn't beat out the guys who stunk last year. Just no way to know until we start playing.

The way our defense played last year, I am glad we only have a few guys back especially since one is named Colvin.

SoonerInHSV
8/28/2013, 11:21 PM

Except most of those guys were freshmen and sophomores. A freshman can be a better athlete and still not be able to beat out a senior. What gets lost in these discussions a lot of times is that players develop over time. So a guy who wasn't good enough last year may have been good enough this year to beat the first string guy out. It would just depend on how much each of them developed.

However, you are right that we will not know for sure until we see them in action. And even then we won't really know until we see them against the better teams. And whatever the result, is it because of the new players, the new coach, or the new scheme.

SoonerInHSV
8/28/2013, 11:27 PM
I guess after 40+ years of watching OU play I know that any opener is likely to be a nail biter. Lot's of players with their first time in front of the big crowd. Some of the may have seen duty but it still different when you are The Guy.

Now if both teams play to their ability OU winds handily. However, some nerves resulting in some turnovers and it could get ugly even a loss.

If I am going to guess it would be a sloppy first half, with the normal whining and complaining from the fans, followed by gradually wearing them out in the second half with big, stronger, and more athletes.

SoCalBigRed
8/31/2013, 10:04 PM
Any given Saturday. If OU comes out thinking this thing is in the bag then we could very well lose.

Ala Arkie and the Orange bowl debacle

Guess I called that one right.

Don't put my aorta on the line, unless I know it. Its shredded enough inside as it is. Doesn't need help.