PDA

View Full Version : Policies, including some new ones, for Memorial Stadium this football season

Jay C. Upchurch
8/25/2013, 10:55 AM
NORMAN — Fans attending University of Oklahoma Football home contests should begin planning now to ensure they are fully prepared for stadium policy changes and construction on I-35 that will impact them. The Sooners begin their home schedule with a 6 p.m. kickoff vs. Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, Aug. 31.

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium has adopted several “best practices” that have been implemented at many major collegiate, professional and entertainment venues nationwide. Providing a safe environment for our guests remains an ongoing priority at the University of Oklahoma, along with increasing the comfort and efficiency of all individuals entering the facility.

Allowable Personal Items – Revised For 2013

·Women’s purses (smaller than 10”x10”)

·EMPTY, clear personal water bottle (for drinking water)

Other Allowable Items – Revised For 2013

·Approved medical devices

·Approved family care items (diapers, formula, etc. in bag 10”x10” or smaller)

Non-Allowable Items – Revised For 2013

·Any and all types of bags and backpacks (conventional or string-type cinch bags)

·Seat cushions and chair backs

·Merchandise bags

Fans not bringing a women’s purse or another allowable item into the stadium are strongly encouraged to utilize Express Lanes. Chair back seats are available at Sooner Seat Customer Service booths.

Express Lane Locations Sooner Seat Customer Service Locations

Gates 1-7, 9-12 Gates 1, 5, 7, 11-12 and Upper West Concourse

Fans that purchase merchandise outside the stadium or have items not adhering to these standard should plan to return it to their vehicles before entering the stadium. Advance planning will help our team serve you better on game day and alleviate potential frustration at stadium gates.

PLEASE PLAN FOR ALTERNATE ROUTES, CONSTRUCTION ON INTERSTATE 35 CORRIDOR

A major reconstruction project is currently underway on the I-35 corridor in Norman that will have a major impact on game day traffic flow. The I-35/Main Street Bridge interchange is being completely replaced, meaning there is no egress to or from I-35 to Main Street. Fans are strongly encouraged to plan alternate routes to their parking destination in advance. Extra time should be allowed for both arrival to and departure from the stadium.

Southbound I-35 Traffic (From OKC)

· Fans are encouraged to exit no further south than Tecumseh Road. Alternate routes include:

o Exit 113 (Highway 77 – left exit) – continues into Norman as Flood Avenue

o Exit 112 (Tecumseh Road) provides access to alternate southbound routes running parallel to I-35

§ 36th Avenue NW (west of I-35)

§ 24th Avenue NW (east of I-35)

o Numerous other alternative southbound routes exist, including:

§ Sooner Road/12th Avenue NE

§ Sunnylane/Porter

§ Western Avenue/60th Avenue NW

Northbound I-35 Traffic (From Pauls Valley)

· The South Canadian River Bridge just south of Norman on I-35 is in the midst of a widening project. Northbound fans should anticipate congestion and delays in this area.

A full list of items prohibited at Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium follows. The OU Athletics Department also encourages fans to read the 2013 OU Football Fan Guide to learn more about stadium amenities, policies and procedures.

• Alcoholic beverages

• Any and all types of bags (merchandise bags, backpacks, fanny packs & hard binocular cases)

• Baby seats

• Baby strollers

• Banners/Signs

• Beach Balls

• Cameras (professional equipment or cameras with long telephoto lenses)

• Coolers or containers

• Explosives/firearms/weapons

• Folding chairs or stools

• Food and beverages

• Ice chests

• Laptops

• Laser pointers

• Noisemakers of any type (i.e. air horn, plastic horn, whistles, etc.)

• Pets (with the exception of animals used by disabled guests)

• Personal heaters

• Seats (stadium seats, chair backs & seat cushions)

• Umbrellas

• Women’s purses larger than 10”x 10”

All carried items and entrants are subject to search. Prohibited items must be returned to the owner’s car or discarded. Any unlawful items are subject to confiscation, and the person in possession of such items is subject to arrest. Items left at gate will be discarded.

We look forward to hosting all University of Oklahoma Football fans at Stadium this season. We anticipate that the current modernization project on the I-35 corridor will lead to an improved game day traffic flow and safety when completed. In addition, revised the above policies have been enacted to help maintain Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium as one of the nation’s top venues in terms of both security and overall fan experience.

OU SID Report

yermom
8/25/2013, 10:58 AM
so can a man carry a small woman's purse?

FirstandGoal
8/25/2013, 11:26 AM

Only if it matches his shoes.

Turd_Ferguson
8/25/2013, 11:39 AM

It's not a purse, it's a satchel...

Ruf/Nek7
8/25/2013, 12:28 PM
You would have thought the bombing incident of 05 would have warranted this then. In other words, this should have already been in place IMO

Turd_Ferguson
8/25/2013, 12:56 PM
You would have thought the bombing incident of 05 would have warranted this then. In other words, this should have already been in place IMO
Seems to me that the only thing they're doing is making sure you purchase stuff inside the stadium.

olevetonahill
8/25/2013, 03:44 PM
Seems to me that the only thing they're doing is making sure you purchase stuff inside the stadium.

Yup.

Phil
8/25/2013, 03:49 PM
Except water.

olevetonahill
8/25/2013, 03:55 PM
Except water.

Think I'd rather even Buy water instead of drink from those fountains.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/25/2013, 04:56 PM
Kinda sucks you can't bring your own seat back anymore. Although I think some ppl were bringing oversized ones.

nighttrain12
8/25/2013, 05:23 PM
They are making it difficult to get to the LNC parking lots from the North. It looks like instead of getting off on the Highway 9 exit, I get off about 4 miles earlier at exit 113 and zig zag around to get to highway 9.

Boomer.....
8/30/2013, 10:35 AM
OU does a reverse on new stadium policies
President Boren says OU doesn't want to inconvenience fans

By Jessica Bruha The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — University of Oklahoma President David Boren announced Friday that the rules governing what the fans could bring into the stadium last year, which allowed purses of reasonable size and seat cushions, will continue to be allowed, subject to reasonable inspection at the gates.

The changes in the rules recently announced will not be in effect for Saturday’s game, while they undergo further review. The University does not want to unduly inconvenience fans, Boren said.

The policies announced earlier included a 10-by-10 inch rule for women’s purses, no outside stadium cushions or bags with merchandise. Backpacks, string backpacks or fannypacks were also prohibited under the previous rules.

http://normantranscript.com/new/x865766443/OU-does-a-reverse-on-new-stadium-policies

badger
8/30/2013, 10:43 AM
It's a good reversal. I remember in the mid-aughts they allow binoculars but not binocular cases, so people were dropping the cases at the entrance. Security was probably sick of being garbage caretakers :)