PDA

View Full Version : My dog May have just stopped a burglary

stoopified
8/24/2013, 05:29 AM
I woke up about 415 AM by a loud noise and OUr dog Patrick (a 90+ lb yellow Lab) going nuts,barking.I jumped out of bed,grabbed my police baton(no not MY baton) and checked my front door( as that was where the sound came from) Finding it secure ,I looked out the window and saw a car drive off from our curb.I checked the rest of the house out and found something disturbing,our overhead garage door standing wide open. Needless to say this left me a little unnerved.

Adrenaline gets you going a whhole lot better than coffee ,let me tell ya. I guess I'm starting my day a little early today.

olevetonahill
8/24/2013, 05:58 AM
Did they force it open? Have a universal remote? Didja leave it up by accident? Didja call the PoPo?
Details man Details.

stoopified
8/24/2013, 06:41 AM
Yes,I have a universal remote.I'm 90% sure it was closed when I went to bed ,and no I did not call the police.. When I discovered all this multiple possibilities occurred to me 1) Someone used a universal remote and opened my door 2) I left the door open and someone saw an easy target,only to make noise and awaken my dog and then me 3) Someond driving buy saw the door,approached the house to bring this to my attention only to spook Patrick.

Because I don't know exactly what happened I decided it would be a waste of both my time and the boys in blue to call authorities..What I will do from this point forward is lock the interior garage door.One reason I am a little uneasy is that every night before going to bed I do a security check.I make sure that all the doors are secure,Patrick is alive and well in the backyard and my boys are safe in bed.It is possible I skipped checking the garage door because I was tired.The other thing that runs through my brain is who attenots to wake complete strangers up at 4AN to tell them their garage door is open? My sister and brother in law were awakened by Edmond Police once because their garage door was open in the middle of the night but a stranger?This will keep me extra vigilant,it also makes me glad Patrick was ON DUTY,good dog.

olevetonahill
8/24/2013, 06:50 AM
Dogs are the BEST people. If I lived in town I would run a Kill switch to the Opener to prevent any one from randomly opening the door. But Hell On my hill I never lock my doors and rarely take the keys out of my truck. Be careful bro.

olevetonahill
8/24/2013, 06:54 AM
Heh, Just had this made gonna put it up at the bottom of my hill today
https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/995493_559044680823867_852927420_n.jpg

stoopified
8/24/2013, 06:59 AM
Heh, Just had this made gonna put it up at the bottom of my hill today
https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/995493_559044680823867_852927420_n.jpg that made me laugh.

rock on sooner
8/24/2013, 09:07 AM
Armed and drunk er kewl, nekked is scary...:highly_amused:

olevetonahill
8/24/2013, 09:09 AM
Armed and drunk er kewl, nekked is scary...:highly_amused:

I figure one of the 3 will keep em off my hill.

jiminy
8/24/2013, 09:40 AM
If you have one of those garage door openers with the sensor beams, it can reverse on you if you don't watch it all the way down. A leaf or something could blow across and interrupt the beam.

okiewaker
8/24/2013, 10:43 AM
I always watch my garage door go all the way down b/c sometimes it goes back up. Did they steal your mower? Or, any goods from your garage?

Mjcpr
8/24/2013, 12:18 PM
If they used an opener, it shouldn't have made a noise loud enough to wake you I wouldn't think. My opener control in the garage has a lock button that I *assume* prevents opening with an opener but I'm.not sure now that I think about. Pretty random to get broken into like that at 4am but it happens. Good job, Patrick...extra tbone for you this weekend.

bluedogok
8/24/2013, 06:47 PM
Our bedroom sits on top of the garage, whenever it goes up we know it (two car garage door) because it shakes the floor. In our house in Austin we wouldn't have known if it was being opened or not. Our heeler would have let us know, she was pretty astute to noises outside.

BajaOklahoma
8/24/2013, 08:46 PM
Our alarm system also covers the large garage door, attic pull downs (2) and pass-thru doors into the attic (2). There have been a few occasions when the door didn't shut all the way, so it makes me more comfortable.
Our indoor dogs are also a deterrent - four of them, each 60-80 pounds.

stoopified
8/25/2013, 08:28 AM
I am so glad that nothing actually happened,nothing was taken and there was no confrontation withan intruder.It does make me a little more aware of the importance in making sure the house is secure. Thank God for Patrick.

En_Fuego
8/25/2013, 11:43 AM
I also live out in the country on 40 acres. We have 3 outside dogs 1 Ridgeback and 2 mutt half pit bulls.... Glad to hear you have a dog Stoopified. If anyone ever came up here at night they wouldn't have to worry about what I would do. The dogs would tear them apart.

I also leave the doors unlocked and my keys in my truck. Not trying to hi-jack the thread but............. DOGS are NICE to have.

KantoSooner
8/26/2013, 08:58 AM
I'd say Patrick deserves a double cheese burger (hold the lettuce and pickles) with lots of garlic on it.

badger
8/26/2013, 11:14 AM
My dogs bark at everything. They are the end-all deterrent to anyone ever wanting to visit that doesn't know us (unless you're running for office, then you have to pretend you're not afraid of them)