PDA

View Full Version : Rumors were correct

LibertyValance
8/22/2013, 05:39 PM
Trevor Knight to start.

Breadburner
8/22/2013, 05:43 PM
Show's you what I know...I was wrong....!!!!

70sooner
8/22/2013, 05:45 PM
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops named redshirt freshman Trevor Knight his starting quarterback for the Sooners' 2013 season opener, scheduled for Aug. 31 against Louisiana-Monroe on Owen Field.

Knight, a San Antonio native, beat out junior and once prohibitive favorite Blake Bell in Oklahoma's first quarterback battle since 2007, when future Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford won the job.

Knight becomes the Sooners' first starting quarterback not named Landry Jones since Bradford's season ending injury in the 2009 Red River Rivalry game against Texas.

Bell has rushed for 24 touchdowns over the past two seasons out of the short-yardage “Belldozer” package, when he would replace Jones in games, take a shotgun snap and plow forward for first downs and touchdowns.

Last August, Stoops announced Bell was the team's second-team quarterback, causing Drew Allen to eventually transfer to Syracuse for the 2013 season using the NCAA's postgraduate transfer rule.

Last season, Bell attempted only 16 passes, and five of them game in a 69-13 rout of hapless Florida A&M.

Knight passed for 2,092 yards with 27 touchdowns and only three interceptions — and recorded 943 yards and 15 scores on the ground — during his senior season at San Antonio's Ronald Reagan High School.

He had originally committed to Texas A&M in the spring of 2011, but switched his commitment to OU before his senior year of high school.

Knight spent the 2012 season redshirting at Oklahoma and was named as one of the Sooners' Scout Team Players of the Year.

The quarterback battle began in the spring between Bell, Knight and sophomore Kendal Thompson.

Thompson was considered a viable option until suffering a foot injury on the first day of the Sooners' preseason fall camp this month.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 06:22 PM
I'm excited to see how Knight moves this offense. Hopefully Bell stays positive, because if the rumors of a QB run game are true, he could be on the field in a hurry.

swardboy
8/22/2013, 06:31 PM
Redshirt freshman. The college football world is his oyster if he shines on that field. If not, there's some bad-azz backups that are ready to jump in.

Props to Stoops for an "eyes wide open" process.

ashley
8/22/2013, 07:45 PM
I said this in the spring.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2013, 08:02 PM

Awesome!

I'll be right back with your Internet cookie.

nighttrain12
8/22/2013, 08:20 PM

What's our final record going to be this season?

MyT Oklahoma
8/22/2013, 10:39 PM
What's our final record going to be this season?

Probably not good enough for many but only time will tell.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/23/2013, 07:08 AM

Man, and after all of that hard work you did, you're still not cool or intelligent. That must suck.

Peeb
8/23/2013, 07:32 AM
Bell obviously brings a lot of good things to the table, so Knight must be really special.

BigTip
8/23/2013, 12:23 PM
I saw it on ESPN last night so you know it's true.

My stupid optimistic self remembers recent seasons with high expectations because, "everything is in place" only to have those expectations crushed.
So I am hoping the opposite will happen. No expectations, great results.
Hey! I said I was an optimist.

I'm sure Bob work long and hard on this decision.

http://youngmen.wakeacademy.org/cancellieri/files/2013/01/Flipping-a-Coin.jpg

badger
8/23/2013, 12:28 PM
A broken clock is right twice daily.

So, only one more correct rumor the rest of the season.

ashley
8/23/2013, 07:23 PM
Man, and after all of that hard work you did, you're still not cool or intelligent. That must suck.

Yes, but I was more informed than you were. Smarter too.