PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy Anesthia talk

cleller
8/22/2013, 08:42 AM
Having a family history of colon cancer, I've been having colonoscopies since I was 35. Good thing, too.

Anyone who's had one can tell you the prep is hell, but the procedure a breeze. I have a history of saying goofy, off the wall stuff while under the effects of the anethesia, with a completely straight face. After the first one, I convinced my wife I was OK to drive, and she almost let me. The person that wheeled me out caught her in time.

The last couple of procedures they've made some changes, and it seems to wear off quicker. This time, my daughter was picking me up, and I implored the staff not to let her into the room until I was at least dressed and alert. Still, when she walked in the room, I was lying on the cot, raised my arms and said "Peace be with you". (wife is Catholic) I then tried to clear my throat, which came out like a little bark, so I gave a few extra barks.

The doctor was telling her some of the highlights:
I told the doc I had swallowed a goldfish, and to keep and eye out for it.
Asked doc what was the strangest thing he'd found in someone's colon.
Asked if he found some jewelry if he would keep it.
Told him I had donuts in the truck so I could start on my next polyp.

Asked the fetching nurse anesthetist if she was getting a pony for Christmas, and remarked that she was the only one smart enough to sit where she didn't have to watch the action.

I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Delta State University Fighting Okra" on the back with a large picture of an okra pod wearing boxing gloves. (This is the actual, unofficial mascot of Delta State in Cleveland MS) We apparently had some good conversation about how well Okra could actually fight.

I was also apparently bemoaning the loss of my old dog recently, and talking about how much hay there is this year.

This pretty much the way it goes for everyone?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2013, 09:06 AM
Mine usually results in a hangover and an empty feeling when I see nothing next to me but a twenty on the headboard.

KantoSooner
8/22/2013, 09:26 AM
I see everything through a green haze and lose all sense of time. And I'm in a tremendous rush to get home and turn on some swirling acid rock. (I'm frugal, you see, don't want to waste a perfectly good high.)

BigTip
8/22/2013, 02:57 PM
I have talked about my procedure a lot because to me the anesthesia is amazing. I had not been put under for anything in 35 years. Back then it took me all day to recover from the anesthesia. Just feeling foggy and strange for a long time.
But this time it was like a switch. Boom! I was out. Then, Click! I was back like normal. I really did feel like I could drive home. My wife was there of course, but that is how clear headed I felt afterwards.
It still amazes me.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/22/2013, 03:56 PM
Does anyone else find it conveniently hilarious that someone named "Big Tip" is talking about having something stuck up his butt?

olevetonahill
8/22/2013, 03:58 PM
Does anyone else find it conveniently hilarious that someone named "Big Tip" is talking about having something stuck up his butt?

:soap:

Mjcpr
8/22/2013, 04:34 PM
I don't know why you'd want to be knocked out, then you can't enjoy it.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 04:59 PM
Anesthesia may be the single best medical invention.

So, cleller, I'm assuming they don't put you completely under for the procedure. I've had some spinal injections under that kind of anesthesia, and it's always fun to hear about the things that come out of my mouth.

Apparently, I like to point out the beautiful ladies on staff. Fortunately, I've never said what I was probably really thinking.

Turd_Ferguson
8/22/2013, 07:35 PM
I had my throat scoped back in 2001. They gave me Versed. I had the nurse, Dr. and wife completely pissed off for asking the same question over and over and over and over. If I could get my hands on some of that, I would take it at least once a week.

Breadburner
8/22/2013, 07:42 PM
I think they also us Demerol....

Soonerus
8/22/2013, 09:28 PM
Date rape pills are generally used for colonoscopy ....

BigTip
8/23/2013, 12:29 PM
Date rape pills are generally used for colonoscopy ....
So THAT'S what they put in my Long Island Ice Tea they gave me during procedure prep!

KantoSooner
8/23/2013, 12:40 PM
I once slipped myself one of those and had my way with myself.

Next day I felt both pleased and somewhat dirty, all at the same time.

cleller
8/23/2013, 06:19 PM
I think they also us Demerol....

They used to, I know. The first time I did the procedure, the doc told me it was demerol plus something else. I mentioned that to the nurse this time, and she said they used some "new stuff" now that you come right out from under.

Interestingly, 13 years ago I got a fairly bad dog bite during some training stuff at work. (police dogs-my fault, carelessness). Hurt very bad. I zipped into the ER at Hilcrest in Tulsa. They were great, took me right in, stuck an IV in my hand, and shot some demerol into it.

I felt a wave of warmth go over me, and the pain was gone in a few seconds. Wonderful.

Will never forget watching the 2000 OU/ Tex A&M game with my leg propped up on the sofa. Was sure we were going down till Torrance and Rocky won the game.

8timechamps
8/23/2013, 06:29 PM
When my youngest son was about 2, he had to have a mole-like thing removed from his scalp. We took him to Children's hospital, and were able to follow him right up until they put him under. After they gave him Versed (in liquid form), he was loopy. But the best part was when they laid him on the table, and put a small gas mask on him (they used gas to put him out, then put in an IV). The gas smelled like bubble gum, so just as he was falling asleep, he started trying to lick the gas mask. Just the site of this tiny body, about to go under, licking the gas mask was awesome. It helped his mom, who was in tears.

En_Fuego
8/23/2013, 08:51 PM
Damn... I guess im lucky, god bless

OULenexaman
8/26/2013, 12:44 PM
The 2 I had last year they used Propofol.....no wonder MJ loved that stuff. I can't wait to go back for the next one.

cleller
8/26/2013, 05:21 PM
Holy colon polyps! The docs nurse called back today and told me the polyp they removed was benign, but a very aggressive type. Want me to do it again in 1 year.

Hard to imagine going thru that prep again in just a year, but this doc is one smart guy.

8timechamps
8/26/2013, 06:33 PM
Holy colon polyps! The docs nurse called back today and told me the polyp they removed was benign, but a very aggressive type. Want me to do it again in 1 year.

Hard to imagine going thru that prep again in just a year, but this doc is one smart guy.

Good news! Well, if you have to go through that to make sure you don't end up with colon cancer, it's a small price to pay.

fadada1
8/26/2013, 07:48 PM
Mine usually results in a hangover and an empty feeling when I see nothing next to me but a twenty on the headboard.
i think you're doing it wrong.:wink:

olevetonahill
8/26/2013, 08:42 PM
I had ONE several years ago, After they had Me blow MY tonsils out of my butt , I was empty . But My Hemoroids were Pissed as hell and when I went in these 2 chicks were back there By the Back door tryin to put that tube thing in , I dint get any drugs , ****in VA. any way they kept shovin and pushing and Im sufferin in silence till they Finally hit a real sore spot,
I screamed at em "For Gods sake Bitches SPIT on that thing I'd do it for YOU."

OULenexaman
8/28/2013, 01:32 AM

Hard to imagine going thru that prep again in just a year, but this doc is one smart guy.. I went through this last year. Took 2 procedures to get rid of them. One was golf ball size and had a vein. Doc called it pre constructive. Trying to become stage 1. 2nd procedure got the rest of it and it was benign to. Go every year now for one for life. After the 1st one he called me Mr. Polyps. Prep 1st time was rough. 2nd time in 3 months was nothing. But not fun. Lost a lot of weight. It will clean ya out.

BigTip
8/28/2013, 09:34 PM
. Lost a lot of weight. It will clean ya out.

That's why I laugh at these diets or hippie things that "cleanse you" and rid you of toxins. I KNOW what will clean you out, and I will GAR RAN TEE it!

cleller
8/28/2013, 10:28 PM
That's why I laugh at these diets or hippie things that "cleanse you" and rid you of toxins. I KNOW what will clean you out, and I will GAR RAN TEE it!

No offense, but seeing "Big Tip" posting in the colonoscopy thread is slightly uncomfortable.

BigTip
8/29/2013, 09:03 AM
Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful.

KantoSooner
8/29/2013, 09:37 AM
should we then hate you because you are Big Tip?

Why hate on you at all? Can't we all just get along?

BigTip
8/29/2013, 01:12 PM
Tip:
"a piece of advice or expert or authoritative information"
or
"to give a gratuity to"

What is wrong with you people?

:friendly_wink:

lol

hawaii 5-0
9/1/2013, 07:11 PM
I've been scoped twice.

As has been said, the prep is a bitch.

I took a tip from someone and put myself on a clear liquid diet two days before. I was pretty cleaned out before I had to endure that nasty prep fluid.

I've always been starving after procedures. I was ready to order a pizza in the Recovery Room.

5-0

SanJoaquinSooner
9/27/2013, 08:26 PM
getting it done next Friday. My first time, and also the first time given anesthia for anything - except a local for a tooth.

salth2o
9/27/2013, 08:39 PM

Holy sheet. That's funny.

olevetonahill
9/27/2013, 11:21 PM
Tip:
"a piece of advice or expert or authoritative information"
or
"to give a gratuity to"

What is wrong with you people?

:friendly_wink:

lol

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR25Ojs7rvJ_SEQ62yKYk2V-9NnPboiYqPibBXTJrLh5Jv4o1W9

hawaii 5-0
9/28/2013, 11:33 AM
Nurses like it when you bring pastries.

Special loving care can be expected when word gets out as to who brought them.

5-0

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2013, 10:35 AM
I know about the clear liquid diet required before the procedure -- anything else to do to make things less painful?

hawaii 5-0
9/30/2013, 12:40 PM
It's the prep that so bad, not the procedure.

For a bonus, be sure to make it well known about 5 minutes to the actual procedure to elaborate how nervous you are.

You had an uncle who never woke up, Your sister stopped breathing. You father almost fell off the table. Hopefully the anesthesia person will give ya 'a little extra'.

Don't sweat the procedure. They give ya something that will make you not even remember the thing.

5-0

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2013, 06:52 PM
It's the prep that so bad, not the procedure.

For a bonus, be sure to make it well known about 5 minutes to the actual procedure to elaborate how nervous you are.

You had an uncle who never woke up, Your sister stopped breathing. You father almost fell off the table. Hopefully the anesthesia person will give ya 'a little extra'.

Don't sweat the procedure. They give ya something that will make you not even remember the thing.

5-0

Thanks 5-0 ...

so is there anything to do that makes the prep less horrible?

olevetonahill
9/30/2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks 5-0 ...

Nope, Just Man up and do it,

hawaii 5-0
10/1/2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks 5-0 ...

As Vet said, "Nope".

As I said, go on a clear liquid diet, broth, jello. juices a coupla days before and there just won't be much to clean out. It's still not fun one bit, The Purge.

A thought keeps returning when I think of the prep.........BEA.

Burning Ember Azzhole.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
10/1/2013, 01:11 AM
Don't try to fight the anesthesia/sedation. Enjoy the feeling of not giving a shlt.

Make sure you have someone drive you home. The other people on the road will be thankful.

5-0

SanJoaquinSooner
10/4/2013, 12:47 PM
Today's the day.

Well, I'm glad I didn't have to drink a bucket of semen. It surely would be slightly more unpleasant than what I'm drinking.

How long after the procedure will I have an appetite?

KantoSooner
10/4/2013, 01:15 PM
depends on what they use for anesthetic. I was 'norbal' by the next day.

KantoSooner
10/4/2013, 01:17 PM
And let me acknowledge everyone here. This has been an epic thread so far and one that shows promise of going on and on through time, demonstrating something or other about us all.

Really bolstered my faith in my fellow posters.

Give each other a hand, you deserve it!

hawaii 5-0
10/4/2013, 01:19 PM
I was starving in the wakeup room.

Got some spaghetti on the way home.

Hope things go well for you today.

Let us know how it went and your results when they come back.

5-0

SanJoaquinSooner
10/4/2013, 07:53 PM
Everything went well - no polyps to remove.

Although, I don't think I was heavily sedated. I recall sharp pains, but not unbearable, throughout the procedure

olevetonahill
10/4/2013, 08:13 PM
Everything went well - no polyps to remove.

Although, I don't think I was heavily sedated. I recall sharp pains, but not unbearable, throughout the procedure

So yer a Healthy arsehole then ?

SanJoaquinSooner
10/4/2013, 10:53 PM
So yer a Healthy arsehole then ?

Doc says I got a 5 year warranty on it.

olevetonahill
10/4/2013, 11:57 PM
Doc says I got a 5 year warranty on it.

Better keep it lubed then or Ya mite void that warranty :friendly_wink:

hawaii 5-0
10/5/2013, 01:53 AM
Appetite afterwards?

I'm glad you had a clean colon.

5-0

SanJoaquinSooner
10/5/2013, 08:23 AM
Appetite afterwards?

I'm glad you had a clean colon.

5-0

Thanks 5-0.

The nurse warned me that the laxative may still be working and not to eat a huge meal. Picked up a tuna salad sandwich from a yogurt shop on the way home and had popcorn later in the evening. Was more tired than anything and fell asleep early.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/5/2013, 08:33 AM
Better keep it lubed then or Ya mite void that warranty :friendly_wink:

Yeah, I bought some medicated lub beforehand, and never used it.