PDA

View Full Version : ULM Warhawks: What you should know

8timechamps
8/21/2013, 10:22 PM
ULM Warhawks

Coach: Todd Berry (entering his 4th year at ULM)

2012 Record: 8-5 (6-2, finished 4th in the Sun Belt)

Notable wins: Arkansas

Notable losses: Auburn (in OT), Baylor (47-42)

Bowl Game: Lost 45-14 to Ohio in the Independence Bowl

Offense
What You Need To Know: Offensive coordinator Steve Farmer’s attack blew up. It wasn’t bad in 2011, but the passing game was woefully inefficient. Last year, because of quarterback Kolton Browning, ULM’s attack bombed away for 291 passing yards per game and scored 23 points or more in every game until the bowl clunker. The receiving corps loses Brent Leonard’s 104 catches, but it gets back everyone else to make the passing game shine. Running back Jyruss Edwards is back and healthy after missing the second half of last season, and while he doesn’t have an elite line to work behind, four starters are back up front to give the offense more cohesion.

Defense
What You Need To Know: Experience isn’t going to be an issue for Troy Reffett’s defense, but will the production follow after allowing 418 yards and 29 points per game? The ULM 3-3-5 system was statistically solid against the run, but that’s mostly because everyone spent so much time bombing away. The secondary has to be far stronger, and while everyone can hit – including the corners – there have to be more big stops and there can’t be so many deep passes allowed. The front three has an excellent rotation that should be one of the team’s bigger strengths, while the linebacking corps has size and should hold up well against the run.

Information from CollegeFootballNews.com. Go here (http://cfn.scout.com/2/1300921.html) to read more.

olevetonahill
8/21/2013, 11:00 PM
They aint gonna be a Gravy team. We best be ready fer em

Salt City Sooner
8/22/2013, 01:16 AM
It wouldn't totally shock me if we look back at the end of the season & say that Browning is the best QB OU faced this year. Kid's a gamer.

swardboy
8/22/2013, 06:59 AM
They beat a 7-6 Alabama team in 2007. Even so, it was an eye-opener against a Nick Saban coached team.

Teams like this schedule away games with the majors for the money. And then they get the occasional giant slaying.

And we never seem to start with all cylinders clicking, while our opening opponent usually considers it their game of the season.

cleller
8/22/2013, 07:04 AM
They beat Alabama. About 10 years ago. Even so, it was an eye-opener.

Teams like this schedule away games with the majors for the money. And then they get the occasional giant slaying.

And we never seem to start with all cylinders clicking, while our opening opponent usually considers it their game of the season.

Ain't that the truth.

Jack T.
8/22/2013, 07:19 AM

Seems like it is that way with every team we play.

PrideMom
8/22/2013, 08:54 AM
I have seen the teams "with nothing to lose, let's have fun" play, and they always make the game interesting... for a while. It is usually the fourth quarter that the PHYSICAL differences begin to show up. Needless to say, I can't wait!!!

Boomer.....
8/22/2013, 09:01 AM
This is a decent team and just like in the years past, this will be a much closer game than Vegas thinks it will be.

SoonerNomad
8/22/2013, 09:03 AM
I like that it isn't UT-Chattanooga. Let's see what the team will look like. Is the defense going to be improved over 2012?

Ugh.

Now I am worried that it's going to be 50-49. I think I need to go hide for the next 10 days.

KantoSooner
8/22/2013, 09:34 AM
Are they the team that had the 2 QB set?

IronHorseSooner
8/22/2013, 09:57 AM
Are they the team that had the 2 QB set?

Yes, and their coach is an Okie from Miami.

KantoSooner
8/22/2013, 10:18 AM
Great, a revved up mid-major with a unique alignment. Just effing peachy.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2013, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7b6AWaMms

swardboy
8/22/2013, 01:10 PM
We're doomed I tell ya!

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 04:21 PM
OU is hit and miss in season openers. Last year, we struggled against a mediocre UTEP team, but in 2011 we destroyed a better than average Tulsa squad. The question is; will this be a Utah State type of nail-biter, or a Chattanooga type of blowout?

ULM has some weapons on offense (mostly their QB, Browning), but their defense will be among the worst that we'll see this year.

Beating Arkansas last year wasn't really a crowning jewel for the Warhawks, but staying close and taking Baylor to the wire is somewhat impressive.

Bccajun
8/23/2013, 08:30 AM
They can get up for games. Being in the Sunbelt area I saw ULM get up for a few games last season. But my home town school beat Louisiana-Monroe 40-24. This is the same team Louisiana-Lafayette that lost to OSU 65-24.